Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Front Porch Chat - October 2014
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Front Porch Chat - October 2014 Next Topic
Page: of 3

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  8:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,

I though I would start a front porch thread on a monthly basis. I'd like it to be a place where we can chat about what's going on during that month, making it easier to catch up if we get a bit behind. So grab yourself a cuppa and let's get chatty!

Love the month of October, it has one of my favourite holidays, Halloween. I love Halloween, not the gory halloween, but the witchy type complete with pumpkins and black cats! lol

The leaves on the trees are just stunning here. I live way up north in New York State. As a matter of fact, I can see Canada from my house. ;) The maple trees are magnificent. Do you all get trees that turn yellow, orange and red in the fall? I would enjoy seeing pictures of some of your favourite trees during this time of the year.

Most of you know that I own a quilt shoppe. I love my job! October is Quilt Market in Houston, TX. It is a trade show for quilt shop owners. I get to see all the gorgeous fabrics, patterns and books that are coming out within the next 6 months. I'm headed off to Houston on Oct 23 and so looking forward to it. It's my mini vacation! I like Houston, they have some of the best frozen margaritas I've ever tasted! Yummy! By this time of the year I am in total burn out mode. So, for 5 days I get to re-energize. I come back with lots of inspirations!

This weekend is my DH's 50th birthday! I get to call him an old man! lol Just kidding. I should mention that I'm 4 years older than him! lol This weekend will be a full house with his mom and dad coming up.

So chine in, let's hear what you've been up to!

Catch you later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Nov 02 2014 07:47:31 AM

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  10:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Carole

Good to hear from you. You live in a pretty place, I have always wanted to see the trees up that way and Vermont when they are changing.
Here on the California North Coast we mostly have Redwoods, firs, Cedars and mostly green trees. I like green alot, although this year has been so dry it has been hard on them all. In the mountains more the oak trees and maples are changing and it is pretty and I have collected some maple leaves which i am trying to dry in silica at the moment. I love being out there when I can.
This week end is the Antique Show here in Loleta and it is supposed to be the largest one in California. so I will be working there a little with our Community Chamber. October is ok here down in the bottoms where the dairies are the fog comes out some nights just rolling in close to the ground and it is so pretty, from my house. Not good for driving in though.

Well have a good night.
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9302 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9302 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  04:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We get lots of color here but I do miss the beautiful burst of color in NY in October. Before we moved here we lived in Virginia so our first year here we drove back down through Skyline Drive. Awesome show of color in the fall there. I remember when I was young, born and raised in NY, that we used to get snow flurries before the end of the month of October.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  05:22:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Carole, Darlene and Denise, It's still hot here in Texas but some of the leaves are turning and with all the different trees some are turning the beautiful yellow and orange. I have one tree around the corner it changes so fast that you can take a picture everyday and it has a different look and color. Working on projects for Halloween and a craft fair that I will be helping out with the first of November. So trying to get my projects finished up and ready. Carole you know Houston is just 3 1/2 hours from me and I have a niece that lives there. How fun to go to such a great place for such a fun show. Enjoy! Everyone have a great day and weekend.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Linda
Kansas
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  05:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning!
What a nice way to wake up :)

This desert Calif girl now transplanted to Mid West , didn't have 4 seasons much.
I love fall here and the changing of leaves colors and such. A lot of the churches here sell pumpkins, do pumpkin patches. As my daughter drove me to PT yesterday we passed two of them. Pumpkins all over their front lawns! Next week I will be sure and take a pic this time. It just made me smile.
Hoping to get a few small pumpkins and fall decorate the balcony a little bit.
I celebrate Harvest more than Halloween, but I so enjoy this time of year. I'm just not a fan of scary, spooky stuff lol!

My youngest gdaughter (7) is coming and spending the weekend with my daughter and I . She's always fun ! She loves crafts so might do some simple fall projects.....thank you Pinterest!

Carole, one of these days I really hope to try a mini quilt wall hanging as a first project. The closest I've come to a quilt type project was making my own little mug rug for a farmgirl swap awhile back. But piecing together different fabric and seeing the final result was really fun!
I bet running a quilt/fabric store is really enjoyable.

Hope everyone has a great day!
It's been lightly raining here most of the night and morning.

Blessings to all,
Linda

Hope everyone has a good day!

Blessings, Linda Always a ranch and farmgirl in my heart! Romans 8:28
http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/

Edited by - prayin granny on Oct 10 2014 05:46:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9302 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9302 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  07:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wondering if you gals see this monthly chat as a replacement for our Front porch chat and Newsletter? These just came to mind because I noticed this would be monthly. What are your thoughts?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  10:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I think this idea has merit, especially until we figure out what the new HH will entail. I know Sherry puts a lot of work into the newsletter and perhaps we can put that on hold and use this link to stay connected. If we encourage everyone to use it more and add photos, it will be more informative and fun to keep up with. Plus it is easier and does not pressure any one person to do more than another. Just my thoughts at the moment. Thank-you !!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9302 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9302 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  11:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Winnie! That is what I am looking for is input.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  2:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

So good to see you all here. Denise, I have posted a reply on the thread your started regarding the HH.

I want to share with you my morning drive. I work 6 minutes from home, in another town. No matter the season, it is a beautiful drive. Being from a large city, I consider my village "country life", but don't tell that to the inhabitants, they think they live in a big town! :)

Cheers!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Oct 10 2014 2:38:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  7:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a beautfiful route, I will post mine too with out the colorful trees but it is pretty just the same.

h

Ok I got a bit carried away here but I do like to share how pretty it is here too.

hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  8:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is pretty Darlene. Thank you so much for taking the time to post pictures.

With California being in the news, are you affected at all by the drought? My girlfriend, who lives in Australia, have been experiencing drought pretty much since I've known her (over 10 years). It's just horrible how it can rain/flood some places and not touch another. I do not complain when it rains, I love the sound of rain.

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Oct 10 2014 8:43:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  9:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Carole.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2014 :  05:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, last week we were in Maine and Vermont and your photo looks like many of our drive scenes. So beautiful!! I love Fall and it is my favorite time of year. Living here in Florida, I miss the colors and energy that the cool weather brings in September and October. Our cooler weather comes in fits and starts in October but lasts only about 2 days. This past week, it was up to 88-90 every day and will continue until sometime late next week. So, I live vicariously in Fall through the photos shared by everyone else!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2014 :  5:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Winnie! What a gorgeous drive it must have been! I love all seasons but fall is one of my favourite!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2014 :  7:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned in a prior post, we are college visiting with dd. Hard to believe that my baby will be going away to college next year. On Monday we did Ithaca College and what a beautiful campus. I just had to take this photo.

The drive was gorgeous!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Oct 16 2014 09:51:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Linda
Kansas
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2014 :  8:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wow Carole.....that's beautiful!!

Hugs,
Linda

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2014 :  9:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure is pretty Carole.

hugs
Linda.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  05:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fall color in the Northeast is beautiful this year. Thanks for sharing this photo, Carol!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Linda
Kansas
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  05:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning!
We are in the 70s and the air has certainly turned to fall. It's actually in the upper 40s right now. Going to try making a loaf of Amish white bread today :)
Hope everyone is doing well

Hugs,
Linda

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  08:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we had heavy rains yesterday but it is clear for now today, I don't mind it like that it has time to soak in.

You all take care and be safe out there.

blessings
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
112 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  09:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today it is almost 35 degrees. The sun is shining maybe it will get warmer. Snow has melted on the south side of the hills. Mountains all look like they have white frosting on them. Winter is coming and I can hardly wait.
All is good.
Photos are beautiful. All our aspens have already lost their leaves. They all look naked.

Smile a lot everyone will wonder what you are up to.
Marilyn
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  12:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that is cold, I think snow is beautiful if I am passing through but I don't want to be in it.

Stay warm Marilyn...

hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  06:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks every one for you kind comments. Presently sitting outside (in my garage with the bay doors open) enjoying the sound of the rain before I head out for work. I love the sound of rain! It is so relaxing to have my breakfast outside. I do this for as long as I can. Yes, sometimes you will see me with a jacket on, a hot cuppa and just soaking it all it. lol

Marilyn, not sure I am ready, yet, for such cold temperatures especially since we've had such gorgeous temps these pass few days. Our mountains, the ones across Champlain lake in VT, do not have snowy peaks yet.

How did your Amish bread turn out Linda? I have never made Amish bread. How different is it from your typical yeast recipes? I'm a yeast bread baker myself. DH does the cooking and I do the baking as well as fresh pasta.

Darlene, I would think rain is a welcome relief for CA.

I live in a very old neighbourhood. My house is more than 150 years old. So our street has lots of mature trees. This is what I see as I drive out of my driveway.

Enjoy your day everyone!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  12:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Carole the rain is welcome, we just don't want it all at once. It is being good.
Fresh pasta that would be good in a good pot of spaghetti, Yum
Your street is beautiful. Peaceful.

It is nice here today and feels like fall.

hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  3:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Darlene! Indeed, it is a peaceful street. I love my neighbourhood!

Sitting out in my garage attempting to enjoy the wonderful weather we are having while being serenaded by a huge flock of Canada Geese passing by. Gosh they make a lot of racket! It is so warm tonight that the bats are out!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2014 :  3:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carol , what a lovely drive you have each day!! A perfect Fall morning treat.

On other chat, I spent the day washing all the windows and screens . My back is sooooo tired tonight but it feels good to get it finally done. Hubby will get the outsides tomorrow when he power washes the house exterior .

We had a cold front come through last night and today was 79 instead of 89 like last week and very low humidity. It was such a welcomed change !!! More of the same is forecast through the weekend. Yay!!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Front Porch Chat - October 2014 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page