levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  03:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Changed the dressing last night and he woke in the night with a lot of pain again. It does look like it is healing well. I wasnt in on the dressing change. He doesn't really want me to see it yet. He knows there are things I can't stomach. The realization is also starting to set in for him.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  04:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does a nurse come by and change his dressings?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  04:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With modern medicine came shorter hospital stays...which meant we women had to nurse our husbands. I don't do well with blood. So when my husband said it was time to remove his surgical dressings I went on line to find out how to make saline solution, did it early so it could cool down and as I started, God sent two angels, grands to help out. Actually Bay took over and we assisted her. Since he had three different incisions the bandages covered his back As well as his left side. Some had to be soaked loose. But he and we felt better when it was done, washed down with saline and just the incisions covered with gauze pads. I said thank you to patient Bay, Had and God.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  04:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baylee's nurse, a man, had call yesterday. He did not finish his cases until after five pm. She stayed, did not get to town until 6:30pm. I asked if she was exhausted, she said tired, but less tired than the day before. So she is getting a good taste of nursing in the operating room.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  05:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter in law's mom just died! Not sure about the exact time. My son called my husband and said that Shadow began barking and would not stop. So they got up and began looking for the cause of his noise. So that Gray Pit bulldog named Shadow knew before anyone else. Please remember them in your prayers. Yesterday Hadlee was trying to feed her grandma some chocolate insure. Had worked until 2 pm came home, fed her grandma and went to meet her mom's best friend. They drove to Cisco to get my DIL then to Abilene to watch her daughter play college volleyball.
My grand daughters have been caring for their Grandma for several years. They will have an empty spot for sure.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  06:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No nurse Marilyn. He did it himself with the help of my daughter. She has a desire to go into nursing. We had some saline solution that the nurse brought for my dad and used that to loosen the bandages. They re-wrapped it with a patch infused with stuff to help keep it moist. Then he covered it with gauze and something like an ace bandage but it is sticky so it adheres to itself.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  07:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers for healing and peace of mind for Darlene. Prayers for continue healing for Denise's DH. And prayers for all of us who have silent needs.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  3:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps vet wrap.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  6:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - Prayers for your DIL, your granddaughters, and your family, in this difficult time.
What did you mean when you said Had's nurse? Is this a nurse she "shadows" to see how things work in the OR?

Denise - Prayers for your husband and you - this can't be easy for any of you.

Hugs and prayers for all who need them.

Radiation treatments on my nose should start sometime next week, I think. I am a bit uneasy about this - not sure how my nose will react, or me. Ed is my calming factor. LOL! I am so lucky to have him. I'd appreciate any prayers to help me not worry so much about this. Thanks so much!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  7:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, yes Baylee has a nurse she is assigned to. She had hoped for Curtis, but she did not get him she also asked for ER but they gave her OR. Her nurse is her mentor. Here happens to be a guy. Curtis was a college boy, working for my son when Baylee was three.He is now a nurse! I think that is cool.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2019 :  7:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, when you go for your radiation treatment...think about Hadlee. She had a mask, got on that table, lay very still as they snapped the mask down and remained like that until she heard her beam coming to zap her. She had three zaps each day. She was 13, but so tiny. I really admire her because she was so brave. You can do it too. Hadlee said the people watched through a little window and they could talk to her. Some people need so.e calming meds...She never took any but some did.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  07:03:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers for you Linda as you begin your radiation treatments. Hopefully after the first time, you will feel much more at ease. It is always intimidating to start something so foreign like radiation therapy.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  07:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, praying for you.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  07:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for prayers. Jim changed the dressing with Dave's help yesterday because it was wet from the rain. Then again this morning because they wanted to see how it did from last night. He will only change it now if it gets wet for any reason. I doubt it will before he sees the doctor. She is actually a plastic surgeon that they referred him to but she was also present at the surgery.

Linda, I will be keeping you in prayer as you start this. I'm sure once you do it the first time it will become easier.

Sara, prayers for unspoken requests also.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 10 2019 12:45:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  09:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Marilyn; I didn't know Hadlee had radiation treatments. I have to have 20 treatments. How many did she have? I am worried about changes in my skin/nose since I have never been through this. I am hoping and praying that I do not need plastic surgery after this.

Thank you Winnie, Sara, and Denise, and all my farmgirl sisters for keeping me in your prayers.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2621 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2621 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  10:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers for all of you girls and your families. Linda, please keep us posted on your treatments. Do you know how often you have to have them?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  11:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Praying for all !!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  11:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, after Harper's 10 hour surgery, the doctor said she would need proton beam radiation. Wade and Julie did not want to do it, but five weeks after surgery, the sack was refilling and the doctor said radiation was necessary and made her appointment at M. D. Anderson in Houston. I'm so glad they did As Dr. Roberts said for them to do. With proton beam radiation the beam is NOT as big around as a pencil. It travels through a lengthy chamber but when it reaches the tumor, it does not scatter like regular radiation, it goes into the tumor only.
Linda are you going to Irving for your treatments? They built three proton beam radiation rooms there about four years ago.
Hadlee said there were four rooms at Houston. As she lay on the table she could hear the beam coming, but sometimes it was for her, and other times it was for another room.
after She came home she lost a patch of hair on top of her head and one on each side. They were about three inch circles but her hair quickly grew back.
Hadlee had 30 treatments at 5:30 am each weekday. Each treatment took 15 minutes I believe.

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 10 2019 2:51:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  12:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
Dad used vitamin E after his treatments and he had no problems with his skin. It was deep so he had to have 20 treatments. It was on his cheek. Not sure if I mentioned that before. He had it again on his nose while he was here. They removed it and gave him three options. To take more of the surrounding tissue, to do radiation or to leave it and just watch it. He chose to watch it. He didn't have any problems with it after that. His had come in the form of a growth though not a spot. so basically they removed the growth and his nose healed back up. I know that is not the case with yours but Praying for complete healing after your treatments.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 10 2019 12:51:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  08:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think mine is proton beam radiation, because the area they are covering is almost the side of my nose because the basal cells are scattered, not all in one clump. I am having my treatment at the cancer center in Greenville, TX. They said each treatment would be about 1 minute of radiation and I will have 20 treatments.

My surgery took 3 thin layers of skin and the doctor said he could not go deeper without doing more damage to my nose. He could not get it all and that radiation would get 90% or more of what was left. My nose has healed from the surgery, except for one spot that just looks different, so don't know if plastic surgery will be needed or not after these treatments. I hope not. I really would have liked the option of just watching it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1179 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1179 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  09:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Winnie, Sherry and Denise for the cards. I am praying for all of you. So many need our prayers.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  06:18:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to update on JT. Praises actually. We went to the doctor yesterday and she was extremely happy with the healing that is going on. However, (isn't there always something?) there is a lot of swelling. So continued prayer for that are most welcome. She didn't remove stitches as she said they come out themselves. No more covering it in the shower. Has to wrap when working to keep it protected and from getting infected. He will go to hand therapy so they can show him what to do and how to wrap to get the swelling down. Another praise, workman's comp. is covering it. So much learned throughout this time. I can't believe is has only been two weeks tomorrow and he is doing so well. Also asking prayers for him to show grace to others as they all tell him stories of someone they know who lost (insert body part). It is the only way they can relate to what happened to him. Itis taxing to him and hopefully people will start to ask first. He will never be rude because it is not his way. Thank you all for continued prayers if you would.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 16 2019 06:21:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1153 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1153 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  07:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great mostly good news. Good thoughts for the swelling to go away.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  08:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So happy your husband is healing well. Continued prayers for him and all farmgirls needing prayers.
I went for my "trial run" of the radiation yesterday morning and they went ahead and did the firsts treatment. I have a feeling they do this all the time, since they are fitting the "mask" and taping my head down (which I didn't like because they took a lot of hairs with the tape when they removed it) so they might as well go ahead and shoot me with the radiation. So - 1 down 19 to go. Two creams to put on my nose every day - one 3 times and one 2 times. They are supposed to reduce the "sunburn" I will be experiencing. And, when I asked yesterday, the nurse said it could also blister. I am not looking forward to that. My BP is high after the visits, probablhy because I am so nervous and uncertain as to what is happening. Thanks for continued prayers for easement of my mind about all of this. Thanks again.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1153 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1153 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  08:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hugs Linda. You can do it -- only 19 to go. My normally low blood pressure is always high at the doctor; the nurse called it "white coat syndrome".

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 108 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Prayer Round up! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page