Page: of 6

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  1:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite time of the year is fall. When it gets cooler you have to wear a light jacket. And when the wind is blowing through the pines. I can't get enough of that.
I love being outside when the wind is blowing hard. Hot chocolate with a reese's cup in the bottom of the cup. YUM!

Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  05:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, I love the sound of the wind blowing through the trees! We gets lots of wind up here on the hillside. Comes across the fields from the other side of the road. The only time I don't like wind is when it is storming. Then I worry about tornadoes or trees coming down. It is almost time for me to hit cleaning the basement and that is where the decorations are. I have been putting it off because I know some of those things will make their way upstairs.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  05:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, Denise and Marlee, it JUST happened! Well sorta like that.....LOL!! I found this new Chai tea called Spiced Apple and the next thing I know, there was my Fall mouse pad and a pumpkin on my desk!!

Who knew that a fall inspired tea could OPEN the fall box enough for a pumpkin to squeeze out? So, Denise, I am giving you a fair warning......getting around those fall boxes can result in escapees ! This time of year the energy in the box is reaching hurricane proportions. Pumpkins, scarecrows and the like are tired of closed lids. Frankly, they are over it! Just saying".........wink!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  09:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha! Winnie your so funny! I have 2 ornaments of ma and pa turkey and they absolutely refused to go in the box. They have been sitting on the shelf above the sink. Pretty decorations Winnie!
Hugs Marlee

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  09:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean Denise. It took me 4 hrs to mow the yard . Last night I mowed for an hour before dark. It took longer , there were so many limbs and stuff from all the storms we had. I about done a flip over the back of the mower. We have a huge zero turn mower and I didn't know the Dish Network line was hanging lower lets just say I ducked in time. Then one of my fig trees died and I mowed around it and grabbed a limb and it fell. I yelled the fig tree is after me. My hubby just starred. I thought it was funny. LOL.

Hugs Marlee

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  10:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, I know just what you mean! Your Ma and Pa Turkey were not about to be messed with last year. I bet they are adorable too. You be careful on that mower of yours! We can't have any Farmgirls down with injuries. Maybe that Fig tree has a grudge? Could be kinda scary so be real careful!! LOL!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  5:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I am safe till next week on the basement cleaning. We have a wedding to attend and I can't possibly get anything done down there beforehand. We are traveling so there is lots to do. I have often thought I should just make Fall the theme of all my decor. If I could get the walls painted these two particular shades I love. Oh Marlee, you had better watch out on those zero turns. We have one too. Ours has a mind of its own at times. We can't have any hangings or acrobatics this summer so be careful out there. LOL!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2015 :  5:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really ready for fall myself! I love all the seasons, but this summer has been so rainy and hot, without much in the way of sunshine. Bring on the crisp, cool air! :)

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2015 :  06:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I have mentioned that we are in the thick of the tropical summer weather that Florida experiences every year through about the first half of September. I can cope by entertaining myself with books and projects. However, there is ONE THING that I cannot cope with that always happens this time of year: Flies lay their larvae in the lidded garbage can by the hundreds!!!!!! If you don't spot the problem and attack with a huge bleach cleaning...those larvae hatch into maggots!! Ewwwwww!!!!!! The garbage was picked up yesterday. Fine. When I went out last night after dinner to drop the new bag into the garbage can......I spied hundreds, YES HUNDREDS of larvae growing along the lid and sides!!! Immediately went into attack mode with the bleach. sigh. I think it is going to be a very looong August and September. Do any of you have the same problem in your area of the country?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2015 :  06:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have the same issue here :( But our temps and weather are much like yours, so I guess it makes sense ;)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2015 :  2:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do too. I can't stand that. It is very hot and humid here.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2015 :  05:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many of us are caught in the throes of a summer this year that is too hot, humid and rainy to really enjoy being outside. It seems to be a pretty common complaint on the main Chatroom as well. So, to combat our sagging enthusiasm, I have been planning a bit of fun around the theme of apples for September. Some of you remember I hosted an Apple swap last year( I was so lucky to be paired with Shannon who is a creator craftswoman extraordinaire!). We had a big group that was interested and it turned out to be a lot of fun. Building on that idea, I have added a few other activities spread throughout the month.

Are any of you lovers of Apple Season besides me and Shannon? I think I mentioned already that in my little Farmgirl world, August 1 marks the beginning of apple season and a sort of pre-Fall time. Yesterday, while it rained, followed by sunshine, followed by rain and on and on.............. I put away my Americana themed items and started bringing out my apple mugs and placed my little faux Christmas tree decorations with my apple ornaments. On Mary Jane's raisinjane blog this week, she posted a photos of her apples from her orchard that come ripe this time of year. Proof positive it is apple season at MJF!!! Ruth, you might also have some early varieties available over at Merciers Apple Barn? Or at least coming soon.

If you are a fan of all things apple, please join in with me in switching the gears from dragging on in summer swelter, with ideas and creative crafts to celebrate America's beloved fruit.

A little bit of history for today on Apples. When the English first came to America, the only apples that were here were a small crab apple. It was the English settlers who brought over apple seeds and seedlings to plant orchards which produced apples as we know of them. Why apples? Because drinking hard apple cider was a part of everyday life for adults and children. People did not understand sanitation back then and water supplies were often unsafe to drink. The process of fermentation of the apples into cider naturally kills off bacteria ,such as e-coli, and thus producing a beverage that was safer to drink. Cider had long time been the beverage of everyday life in England and the settlers were anxious to create the same apple stock here in America. Apple cider also provided natural vitamin C for long Winter months when fruits and vegetables were not available. Plus, they could be dried and preserved for use all year long in cooking. Some varieties of apples will keep well in cold pack areas for many months providing a fresh source of fruit for eating as well.

Well, that is my little "trailer" for the beginning of Apple Season here at MJF. I hope some of you will join in and add to the fun!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2015 :  06:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh shucks Winnie! I am no "creator craftswoman extraordinaire" by a long shot, but I too thoroughly enjoyed that swap! It was such a highlight for me last year, especially with it being right around my surgery date! You said you have other activities for throughout the month... are you talking swaps or personal activities? Care to share? I am struggling with creative juices this year ;) I just realized last night (well around 2 or 3 this morning) that I have not pulled any baby stuff out for Emi! Yikes! I need to get a move on! So today I am working on a menu and grocery list (seriously difficult undertaking around here, as there are so many of us and I shop for 2 weeks!)and then tonight hope to pull in the baby clothes with hubby's help, to start washing. I don't even have my bedroom/bathroom unpacked yet, and that is where she will spend her first year of life. yikes!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2015 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I love the idea of celebrating apple's! Yesterday I was at our local farm picking up veggies, and I noticed the apple trees on the way out just loaded with green apples. The sight was like a breath of fresh air. I'm also wondering what fun ideas you have up your sleeve for an Apple month!?!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  09:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apple ideas for September are to be revealed in September as a surprise. Plus I have to double check with MaryJane if one activity is still a go ahead.

Like I have mentioned before, August 1 has become the beginning of my Apple Season celebration at "My Tiny Farm", which is located in my kitchen with my old antique stove that serves as a decorating station for the seasons and my interests.

. You can see the scarecrow that snuck out a few weeks ago, and a red rimmed enamel bowl full of a few apples that curiously NEVER go bad??!!

For breakfast this morning I decided to make some apple pancakes using MaryJanes Budget Mix and my own Apple Pie Spice mix that I make myself with all organic spices that I can get from the bulk area of a local store. The batter also uses 1/4 cup organic quick oats that are cooked in the microwave for 2 minutes and form the base of the batter (makes pancakes so tender and moist too). Next I grated about 1/3 cup of a Braeburn apple I had on hand, added the egg, milk and 1 cup of budget mix. Stir up and cook on a hot griddle.

Serve with Maple Syrup, fresh apple slices and a mug (apple themed mug hand crafted in the USA) full of my own hand blended fall coffee I named Warm Apple Pie. Amy and Ruth were so gracious and helpful, when I was developing the batch, to taste test for me and provide feedback. I must say , it was a delicious breakfast and a fun way to launch Apple Season at "My Tiny Farm"!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  09:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love your antique stove! Looks yummy!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  1:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great little stove. And I love the Apple pancake idea. Thanks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2015 :  5:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the apple pancake recipe. Your stove is adorable.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2015 :  08:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, you're not just the Coffee Queen, you're the Apple Queen, too. You're also the Queen of Suspense-- can't wait to find out what else you're cooking up (pun intended, the pancakes look scrumptious!).

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2015 :  12:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha, thanks Amy! I am not sure about being a Queen, but I do have a great deal of passion for both coffee and apples...and pumpkins, and Fall, and cooler weather, and colored leaves and, and, and....... you get the idea!! LOL!! Not to mention I love Halloween with old fashioned fun like carving pumpkins, bobbing for apples, scarecrow making for the yard, pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread making, and hopefully wearing flannel shirts or sweatshirts in the evenings. I am just having fun tapping into other Farmgirls enthusiasm for Fall to get some new energy and fun started. Many of us are just plain weary from weeks and weeks of heat and humidity. Fall tends to be a quick season because many things are happening with schools in session, football games, weekend fall festivals, leaf peeping and much more. Then come November, many are getting ready for big family gatherings at Thanksgiving and some also follow with their annual tree decorating as well. Then POOF, we are galloping to Christmas with carols, decorating and all kinds of merriment happening. To that end, I like starting Fall with my own calendar where Apple Season starts in August.

Hey everyone, if you visit my same seasons post on the main forum about August 1 is apple season, Mary Jane read it last night while she was working and just had a basket of apples from her tree beside her and was munching on them as she wrote!! Yep, The Queen Bee herself has already jumped into Apple Season here at MJF! I love it!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2015 :  6:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Mary Jane's post too. Don'rush my summer Winnie! As much as I love all things fall, since dad came to live with us winter is not a favored season like it used to be. Very hard on him and in turn kind of depressing for me. He isn't the happiest when cold weather is accompanied by osteoarthritic pain. That attitude gets aimed at, guess who? But I do love the wonderful seasons here. So I choose to be an optimist as best as I can during those times. I do so love bobbing for apples and always look for some opportunity to have the grandkids do that! Once I get my downsizing done I think I am going to look into those fall paint colors I mentioned in an earlier post!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2015 :  6:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know... I have NEVER bobbed for apples! I wonder what it is like... maybe I should try it with my kids this year... we would probably have a hoot!

Denise - sorry to hear about your dad feeling so rough when it gets cold! My middle daughter has issues when it is cold as well, but we figured out it has to do with the humidity/dampness. She doesn't have the same issues out west when it is cold, which is another reason we want to move out there! She has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis... and is only 6 :( Apparently it is the "aftermath" of having a weird case of meningitis and encephalitis before she was two (weird in that the "normal" viruses and bacteria were not the cause - in fact, they never did figure out what caused it!)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2015 :  6:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, So sorry to hear your daughter has to deal with that. My mom had rheumatoid arthritis. I have never been checked for it yet but they tell me I should be. I have a friend who was also diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and cold has always been very difficult for her.

You should try bobbing for apples, so much fun! I am terrible at it but love it anyway. When my daughter who was born in October decided to have a costume party, I think she was turning 18, we set it up and her friends thought it was great fun!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  06:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I understand how living with elderly parents can be a challenge and it is hard to be positive when you are in a lot of pain all the time. I am sorry your Dad has such a rough time and directs his frustrations at you. Hopefully, you can enjoy some Fall fun with your grandchildren this year! Keep up the hard work of downsizing stuff as I know it makes it easier to find what you really need and opens up the space to just feel lighter and brighter. It is so true that a well lit and organized space give one an inviting sense of calm. Or at least it does that for me.

Bobbing for apples is so much fun and harder than it looks. We used to have little fall parties for my girls around Halloween and enjoyed activities with the kids like apple bobbing and pumpkin carving. It brings back sweet memories!

There is a tropical type low spinning off the coast of NW Florida and we have had rain and grey skies for two days now. The good news is that it keeps the temperatures down. The bad news, we are all soggy and sick of rain! The grey skies does make it feel a bit more cozy inside and if you stretch your imagination, you can sort of pretend it is a cool rainy fall day. That is until you step outside and the humidity reminds you of where you are!!!!! LOL@!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  06:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - hoping that tropical storm doesn't become more and cause damage! We are dreary and suppose to be rainy today, and I was thinking the same thing... I'll just pretend it is a cool Fall day... as I sit in my sleeveless maternity dress - HA! I was so excited today to see we were only suppose to be a high of 83... with a real feel of 91. At least it won't feel like it is in the 100s.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Seasons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page