Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  02:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is Labor Day for the U.S.
Some background on this holiday we enjoy.

Labor Day, an annual celebration of workers and their achievements, originated during one of American labor history’s most dismal chapters.

In the late 1800s, at the height of the Industrial Revolution in the United States, the average American worked 12-hour days and seven-day weeks in order to eke out a basic living. Despite restrictions in some states, children as young as 5 or 6 toiled in mills, factories and mines across the country, earning a fraction of their adult counterparts’ wages.

People of all ages, particularly the very poor and recent immigrants, often faced extremely unsafe working conditions, with insufficient access to fresh air, sanitary facilities and breaks.

As manufacturing increasingly supplanted agriculture as the wellspring of American employment, labor unions, which had first appeared in the late 18th century, grew more prominent and vocal. They began organizing strikes and rallies to protest poor conditions and compel employers to renegotiate hours and pay.

Many of these events turned violent during this period, including the infamous Haymarket Riot of 1886, in which several Chicago policemen and workers were killed. Others gave rise to longstanding traditions: On September 5, 1882, 10,000 workers took unpaid time off to march from City Hall to Union Square in New York City, holding the first Labor Day parade in U.S. history.

The idea of a “workingmen’s holiday,” celebrated on the first Monday in September, caught on in other industrial centers across the country, and many states passed legislation recognizing it. Congress would not legalize the holiday until 12 years later, when a watershed moment in American labor history brought workers’ rights squarely into the public’s view. On May 11, 1894, employees of the Pullman Palace Car Company in Chicago went on strike to protest wage cuts and the firing of union representatives.

On June 26, the American Railroad Union, led by Eugene V. Debs, called for a boycott of all Pullman railway cars, crippling railroad traffic nationwide. To break the Pullman strike, the federal government dispatched troops to Chicago, unleashing a wave of riots that resulted in the deaths of more than a dozen workers.

Who Created Labor Day?
In the wake of this massive unrest and in an attempt to repair ties with American workers, Congress passed an act making Labor Day a legal holiday in the District of Columbia and the territories. On June 28, 1894, President Grover Cleveland signed it into law. More than a century later, the true founder of Labor Day has yet to be identified.

Many credit Peter J. McGuire, cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, while others have suggested that Matthew Maguire, a secretary of the Central Labor Union, first proposed the holiday.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  04:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise. Enlightening read!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  04:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  3:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is heartbreaking to think of children having to work in factories!!! I think of my own grandboys and can't imagine how horrible that was for them. Thank goodness that is no longer.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  4:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I was doing genealogy research I came across the daughter of my husband's paternal great great grandfather. When her husband was only 36, he died, probably a heart attack. Sadly he left her with a whole bunch of kids, the eldest about 14 and the youngest a nursing baby. After struggling to raise and feed her brood on their small farm, she finally took her children and went to work in a mill. The youngest would crawl about essentially dust mopping the floors underneath the machines. Those who were 7-10 would gather the stray threads. The older children were actually factory workers just like their mom, although the oldest boy stayed home to tend the garden and their animals.
As I read that story to myself the tears came, making it difficult to read it aloud to my husband.
Their lives were so hard!

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 03 2019 4:56:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  4:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh, I can't imagine. So sad. She was doing what she had to to survive, I'm sure.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  5:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were in a
Arkansas. Everyone seemed to be poor.
Most were waiting to move on west or South to Texas.
I think it was about 1865-1870.
Her oldest brother and youngest did come to Texas.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  07:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been reading a book about the coal miners in Appalachia states. Once coal was discovered, companies quickly set up to grab the best locations eager to make money. Jobs were opened and people flocked there to work. He companies , however, did not invest in safety for the miners nor did they pay them fair wages. When they tried to unionize for more protections, they were evicted from their homes, fired, or put in prison. The poverty of this region was appalling for many years and the land was exploited beyond recognition at times. Labor Laws and Unions were their only protections and companies were not eager to do anything to cut into their profits. They lobbied, successfully against legislation and because they were privately owned, they did not have to comply to any rules.

When I reflect on Labor Day, I am glad that the total exploitation of workers is lessened today. However, there are huge problems with allowing unions to organize and protect workers and make sure they get essentials like healthcare and a retirement. Last night, PBS did one of it's programs from the "American Experience " series on just this problem in Appalachia . Completed with photos and historical documents, the show told the story of how workers and their families were abused and exploited with little or no protection for decades. It wasn't until FDR came in the 1930s that Unions became strong again and more reasonable conditions and benefits were put back in place. Still, the coal miners have sacrificed their health and life to go down in those deep mines for decades of working while their families teetered on abject poverty. It makes me so sad that this happened to so many innocent people who were just trying to earn a living and support their families.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  07:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both of JT's grandfathers worked in the coal mines. One got some kind of subsidy for black lung. The other was in WWII and so he didn't work the mines as long as the other. I'm sure if it hadn't been for unions that subsidy never would have been paid to him.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 04 2019 07:25:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  10:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I went to a baby shower; a special one. I had given up being a great grandmother as my adult grandkids don't seem inclined to propagate. I guess there's hope for the two youngest ones if I live long enough but my step grandson and his wife are expecting. I am overjoyed! Today is a celebration for sure.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  03:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Judith!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  05:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps your brand children will one day decide to have kids. My son was 27 when he married. She was 25. It was six years later when Bay was born, and three years later when Had entered the world! I remember telling my son that they would be the grey haired parents, among all the younger parents at school events!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  10:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My one and only granddaughter is 35 and quite adamant about not having children; she's totally into her business. The two older grandsons don't want kids either. My son was 38-40 when his sons were born, so maybe some day if I live long enough.
The eagerly expected Owen is another boy. We seem to be producing a lot of boys. I was the first girl in three generations so it looks like history is repeating itself. It still seems strange to me to know the sex before they are born. It's nice to know what color to buy but I kind of miss the surprise.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  06:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  06:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise the perfect day for National Coffee Day - just in time for our Apple Pie Sunday.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  4:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, perhaps if your family gets together for holidays, and your own kids see baby Owen...maybe he can change their minds. We did not know we were being blessed by baby girls, until our son came to the waiting area and told us. In fact Bay's baby sitter was also pregnant, and she knew she was having a boy. Bay had decided she would have a baby brother too. She was three, just barely. So she was very quiet and sad when her daddy told us. The next day we ran to the flower shop for gifts, when I opened the back door of my vehicle, a sweet voice said, " You know Gwenny, my baby bwudder
Just camed out...and turned into a baby sistur. "

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2019 :  6:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been missing posts here in the Sisterhood because apparently ATT has deleted my SBC account. So I will change it to the yahoo account. As much as I pay ATT each month I sure expect better service.

Marilyn, My kids are all in their 50s so I think future grandchildren are not an option. Perhaps the great-great generation will bring more girls.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2019 :  6:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, that is a cute story!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2019 :  9:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Debbie.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  06:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always something to celebrate!!

OCT 16
National Liqueur Day

Global Cat Day

National Boss's Day

National Feral Cat Day

World Food Day

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 16 2019 4:49:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  08:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyday is cat day around here; we even have a couple reformed ferals.
We don't have to worry about the bosses or liquer anymore.
Food is a good thing.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  4:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! I don't worry about bosses either unless you count JT! I do paperwork for him but don't get an actual paycheck.
Guess I can only celebrate food day!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  6:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was a good day. After a chilly start...it was perfectly beautiful.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  8:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
we have a former feral cat that now sleeps on the bed at our feet. LOL! She has become quite domesticated.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 45 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Everyday is a Celebration Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page