Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Poor House Farm Girls
 Project Discussions
 Poor House FarmGirls - Recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Poor House FarmGirls - Recipes Next Topic  

Daizy
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2015 :  12:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hay there, FarmGirls,

One of our badges we can earn is the Recipe badge. This is such a simple one that I hope everyone will earn this!!

You can find all the info in Merit Badges: Farm Kitchen: 12. Recipes.

So pull out those recipe cards for those well loved family favorites!!! Cook up one or two for Thanksgiving or just family dinner. Ask your folks if they have any family favorites..... Ask them to bring/mail a recipe from those favorites......and from their parents. You might get recipes from 5 or 6 generations back.....what fun!! Be sure to write down the names of those remembered by your family while chatting around the table....have paper and pencil near by coz we love to remember the past foods. That's all the Beginner Level is....easy!

Do the Intermediate Level and for Christmas/Holiday Dinner you can earn the Expert Level.

After Christmas we should all swap recipes....say 2-3 from each of us. We can post them here on this thread and enjoy a bit of each others home fires!!!

So who wants to do this with me??

PHR Farmgirl

ladypony76
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2015 :  05:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daizy I am definitely on board. I love to cook! This is a excellent idea and we all have to eat!! My family is actually polish and so it gives me an excuse to cook the food the old way and I was really wondering what to do for Thanksgiving.
Hugs,
Angela#6681

Farmgirl Farming on Faith!
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2644 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2644 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  3:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daisy....count me in!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2644 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2644 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  4:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angela...my aunt's family was from Poland and her mom was one of the best cooks that I have ever met! What kind of special recipes do you fix at the holidays?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

ladypony76
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  1:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The famous Pierogis !!! Our family also uses fruit like plums to stuff them as well as the potatoes and cheese!!
I also have a cookbook that was given to me when my grandma passed away 5 years ago and I love that book!
Farmgirl Hugs,
Angela#6681

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2644 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2644 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  07:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angela, those sound delicious!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

ladypony76
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  2:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are wonderful! I also have a recipe that is so simple called Aunt Ruth's mother in law cake. Very simple and wonderful with a topping.
I need some ideas on side items or I could fix a meat to go with this. Just not sure. I may do the traditional turkey to go with this because I am making the original style Brunswick stew for Christmas with MaryJane's Soda Bread recipe.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  04:26:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yum!!! And I love Brunswick Stew.....I need to get my Aunt Bettye's recipe for that one. I think I will make my Mommas Cheese Straws and my Nanny's Coconut Cake and my DIL will bring Oyster Dressing from her family. Wonder what I can get from my SIL?? My Dad always wanted Seafood Gumbo for Christmas Dinner but that was pricey so we didn't do that every year...... Once we had West Indies Salad AND Gumbo !!! That was a surprise to everyone.

PHR Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ladypony76
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2015 :  11:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey ladies,
I made my pierogis for Thanksgiving. and alot of other things I will post the picture of the pierogis and the entire table layout.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!
Farmgirl Hugs,
Angela#6681

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  5:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angela,
I love pierogies, they are so good. Looks like you had lots of good things for thanksgiving!
My son inlay made green bean casserole, gluten free (he has celiac) so its fun to see what he comes up with as he loves to cook. I would be interested in sharing recipes. I'm not sure what the plan is for Christmas yet...

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

ladypony76
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  08:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Denise,
we did have alot! Too much we had mashed potatoes and gravy (in the gravy I used sweet potatoes as a thickener so it was fat free) we had the pierogies green bean casserole( I did this a new way in where you make your own cream of mushroom soup with fresh mushrooms that you roast) we had turkey breast and angel salad, the sweet potatoe casserole and dressing with cranberry sauce and for dessert a pineapple upside down cake
Whew yep we had way too much lol but for Christmas I am doing a stew with MJF soda bread and a simple dessert ..... Yes I would love to trade recipes and I will gather the pierogies one up for you!!
Farmgirl Hugs,
Angela#6681

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2644 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2644 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  12:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angela, your dinner looked delicious!!! What kind of filling did you put in the pierogies?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

ladypony76
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2015 :  3:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Debbie,
I did the potatoes and cheese, my grandmother used to do that or fruit.
They did not look perfect, lol but what is the important thing is that they sure were delicious.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Angela#6681

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2015 :  06:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hay there,
So ... is the pierogies a dumpling or a pastry? What is it? I suppose we all will need the recipe. Just type it on here and we will all have it. But we want to know who and what and where all the goodness comes from. So please add as much a know. Thanks for the photo also...it makes the recipe come alive.

PHR Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Poor House FarmGirls - Recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page