Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Weather you like it or not!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic
Page: of 118

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  07:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I would start a thread on the weather .... just because I can. Some people find the weather boring, I don't, but just in case .... I'll talk about here!

It has not been a very pleasant winter season. Lack of snow, freezing rain and a bit of bitter cold. The bitter cold does not bother me, it's the wind that's a nuisance. I'm a four season gal, I can handle the cold weather! What I have a difficult time with is this years winter season. This is two winters in a row that we have very little snow. Sigh!

You can imagine how giddy I was when this morning, I awoke to a fresh coat of snow. My backyard is gorgeous, but I doubt it will remain. As soon as I backed out of the garage, it was raining! The road were a sheet of ice.

I read on the news that the south has experienced some severe weather. I do hope that everyone is safe and sound!

Darlene, did you feel the recent earthquake?

Enjoy your day! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 24 2016 08:50:43 AM

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  08:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, too, love the 4 seasons. Today we are in the beginnings of a huge snowstorm. So far we haven't had much snow in my area of Michigan. We seem to miss a lot of the storms in this area. We are supposed to get as much as 10 inches by the time it is over. Rain is supposed to be mixed in also. The wind is going to gust up to 40 miles an hour and there will be drifting and probably power outages.

Glad we decided to get groceries yesterday and the woodstove is going. We have oil lamps and all we need to stay warm and cozy. Since it's close to March, maybe this will count for the saying about March coming in like a lion and going out like a lamb. Lol! We'll see. What's winter without a blizzard once in a while.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  09:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I also love the 4 seasons, and especially miss the Indian Summer we had up in Illinois when I lived there. In Texas, many of the leaves don't turn like they did in the fall up north, and I miss the beautiful colors of Fall. I also miss having snow once in a while; I love seeing the white blanket over the ground. Texas usually has an ice storm every year, and we haven't really had that yet. It has often come on President's weekend, so we could still get one before the winter is over.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 24 2016 09:22:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  09:42:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which recent earthquake, I know that Central CA has been having some and we have had little ones but thank God nothing big.

I like the 4 Seasons and think they are most beautiful but I don't want to be in the snow. I like my greenness of my area and white just doesn't do for me, Give me sun, blue skies, and warmth. not hot, just warmth. :D Be it My area isn't always that way because of fog and grey days, but mostly mid temp weather all the time Here.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  10:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I am a four season loving gal in a state that has mostly hot and humid weather!! sigh. We do have nice cool winters and some frost which is nice even though it didn't come until January and is mostly gone by March. But our Springs are spectacular with blue sunny skies and lots of green and flowers. Our native Like Oak trees are green year round and we also have a lot of tall beautiful pines as well. This part of Florida does have deciduous trees so we get a few Dogwoods, Souther Red Maples, Red, Bluff and Shumard Oaks, Elms, and several others I can't think of at the moment. We get lovely change of leaves in late December and early January. BUT our Summer.............it is tough. It can be hot and humid from late April through much of October which is why you hear me steady whining come September when I can't take another moment of the oppressive heat!! LOL!! I grew up in Virginia where there are four beautiful seasons and mountains!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9180 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9180 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  1:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love 4 seasons but we haven't had much of a winter season this year. We did get a couple of big storms but in 2 days it was all gone. I can't handle wind though. About the third day I am going stir crazy and JT has figured out that he has to keep me doing something to keep me from hearing it all the time. Usually by the third or fourth day it has let up fortunately.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  3:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange!! to say the least has been our weather so far! High of 75, 2 weeks ago, and high of 41 today with snow flurries this morning! My Pansies have bloomed all winter long! My daffodills are about to bloom!
We seem to have 4 seasons, they are all short, but Summer! is long and humid and hot! I wished it looked like this picture outside here today! LOL!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Feb 24 2016 3:11:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9180 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9180 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  3:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are in for some bad storms tonight and under a tornado watch until 11pm EST.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  4:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel for you Denise. I remember our three tornado event and hail storms last spring. Please keep your phone's and tablets charged and ready to watch the radar. Our tv goes down when it rains, somehow the signal cannot get through. Prayers for all of you tonight. The winds were bad when it came through here.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  5:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too am a four season girl! I don't feel we have much of that anymore in North Carolina. I think the weather everywhere has changed so much. Today we had high winds up to 50mph wind gusts. Sunny one minute and torrential rain the next. The temperature was 70 and going down to 39 tonight with a high of 54 tomorrow! So strange. We really haven't had a winter. I relocated from Florida because of the continual heat. I just could no longer do the humidity. Well North Carolina is much like that now. Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  6:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Denise, do be careful! I would have never thought tornadoes would be a problem in New Jersey. It has been a strange winter! We did have a tornado around here about 7 years ago, it was weird. It only passed in a small flat section. It did do a lot of damage as it hit a marina.

Connie, I love that picture. So clean looking!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9180 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9180 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  6:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We get watches for tornadoes every Spring and Summer. We had one go right down our street when we lived in our old house but that was about 20 years ago.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  7:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We sometimes get all four seasons all in one day. Minnesota weather is weird. Right now it is warm (for winter) it's in the 30's and 40's. But below zero is coming again and more snow. I don't have to go far for seasonal wear. It's all in one closet. I'm ready for anything.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  7:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9180 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9180 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  7:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They change the time frame for the tornado watch until 1 am EST.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  7:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear! Stay safe Denise!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9180 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9180 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  06:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We didn't get much. Rain and a lot of wind. They canceled the watch at midnight. We have limbs down. Haven't checked to see if we lost any trees out by the pasture but I doubt we did. What a shame for Virginia and the loss there.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 25 2016 06:33:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  06:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad you are ok, Denise.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  07:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you are safe Denise.

We had some strange weather in the wee hours of the morning. Massive lightning and loud thunder. It was weird. Rained heavy all night! My back yard is a sheet of ice!

Warm today! Maybe it will all melt. Not sure where all that water will go!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9180 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9180 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  10:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just don't understand what is making everyone have all this wacky weather. I'm sure it is some science-y.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  11:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read you Denise! Everyone in town was talking about the weird lightning and loud thunder! Talk of the town! Bizarre that's for sure!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  3:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you have rain in the northern east, but you don't usually have thunder and lightening??? Have you ever experienced Thunder Snow? I think most of our rain comes with thunder and lightening.It has to do with the warm moisture coming from the gulf and cooler air aloft.
The Virginia sounds similar to the Garland, To alert (Texas) Storms the day after Christmas. So sad.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9180 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9180 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  3:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have thunderstorms in the winter. That is not unusual but to have tornado warnings in February and such warm weather is not normal.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  07:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, Indeed, we don't always have lightning and thunder here. It's not unusual for it to just rain. Certainly not like in the south (I lived in Florida for 7 years and the storms were scary). Yes, I have heard of thunder snow, but it is very rare. I've only experienced it once in the 18 years that I've been living here.

Yesterday morning was an oddity. There were only two extremely weird burst of lightning (about 5 minutes apart) followed by strange rumbling, unlike normal thunder. The burst of light woke me up (4:45ish am) and the rumbling sounded like a truck exploded and the earth was shaking. Strangely, the talk around town was about the weirdness of the rumbling. Many also thought it was an explosion. I need to take the time to research this. It was warm hence the rain

Given all the rain as of late, we are under flood watch. No worries for me, I live on a hill. Our village (down the hill) has experience flooding twice in 18 years.

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 26 2016 08:23:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  10:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got the 10 or more inches of snow predicted, but it is already melting. It will be in the 40's tomorrow and almost 50 on Sunday. I agree we sure do have wacky weather these day. It kind of looks like Narina out of my windows with the pine trees, and snow. Thought I'd share a picture. It is along my driveway going out to the road. Difficult to see either one with all the snow. Sure is beautiful!

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread

Edited by - Lavender Rose on Feb 26 2016 10:32:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  10:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful Brenda thanks for sharing!

Carole

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 118 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page