Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Weather you like it or not!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic
Page: of 118

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2020 :  11:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, damp, and fog. No sunshine again but my cyclamen and Christmas cactus are blooming.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2020 :  12:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were below freezing last night, but the sun is bright at 2:00 pm.

That does not mean it is warm but it means God loves us and there is hope for more sunny days.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2020 :  1:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, when we get our first Autumn frosts, usually about 30°...I take sheets, bkankets, comforters, etc and throw over the things that I hope survivre. It works, so we can continue to enjoy those plants until a hard first comes along.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  08:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather in way upstate NY has warmed up. We did enjoy a beautiful snow storm on the weekend ... over 6 inches of snow. Gorgeous!

Someone said something about another storm on its way! I so enjoy a good snowstorm.

Winnie, watch out for falling iguanas! Read the weather alert! I read that they are an invasive specie in Florida. Perhaps this would be a good time to gather them!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 23 2020 08:46:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2020 :  05:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil says an early Spring. I sure hope he's right. Looking at the snow Carole has I'm not to sure though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2020 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like we're going to have another 6 weeks of winter here. Darn. It's the same every year -- we have fog and clouds all winter but the one day you can count on it being sunny is Feb. 2. It's been a pretty mild and dry winter so far. Hoping for some more rain.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2020 :  3:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't like lizards! Why? I'll never know. When I was a little kid I loved horney toads or horned toads. We would build little homes for them in there dirt, putting rocks around each room. We loved to find some baby ones. They were everywhere out in west Texas. I have never seen one in this area...And I have always wondered why TCU in Ft. Worth used the horned toad as their symbol.
The other strange thing my brothers sweater, given to him by the athletic dept. When he was a freshman says Wogs. I have handled and played with lots of horned toads, but TCU called them horned frogs and the boys on the football team started out as wogs. Polywogs???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2020 :  7:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like they got their reptiles and amphibians mixed up :-)
My kids, especially my son, were always catching lizards. I had one run up my stockinged leg while driving on the freeway one day; another time I went to put on my night gown and one was inside it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2020 :  8:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last fall we had about a dozen little lizards who collected on the kitchen window screen each evening. They were the clear pinkish, good for the garden kind.
I hope you did not have a wreck on the freeway, because I might have..

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2020 :  10:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No wreck; I was actually very proud of myself for keeping it together until I got home and got my hands on my son.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  07:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a lovely snow storm on Friday ... close to 18 inches of snow. It was beautiful. Stayed home from work, didn't see the logic in tackling the weather conditions.

Today the weather has warmed up.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  09:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had a wet winter here this year. I am tired of dark drizzly days. We do get a sunny one here in there but we don't get dried out before it's raining again. The Farmers Almanac predicted our area correctly.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  11:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm envious of your rain. We had some back in December but only a drizzle one day since then. If we don't get some good snow in the mountains and rain down here in the valley we'll be looking at water rationing again. Time for a rain dance!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  11:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith you need to sing the song we learned at church the year it was pretty dry...
Its beginning to rain, rain, rain... Said the voice of the Father, saying who so ever will come drink of this water...I will promise to pour my spirit out...on your sons and your daughters. If you're thirsty and dry, look up to the sky...its beginning to RAIN.

I would walk up and down our lane singing that little song. Everyone in our little country church did the same. Eventually...maybe two to three weeks later God answered loud and clear! So when my men mention it is getting dry...I sing to God.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 11 2020 3:17:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  8:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it seems like we can always crab about the weather. Those of us here in the frozen north put up with very cold and snowy conditions. Tomorrow it's supposed to be -26 below wind chill with snow. That causes black ice that's hard to see and treacherous driving. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere. Thank heavens for long underwear, electric blankets and hot cocoa. Great quilting or crafting weather.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2020 :  06:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie I do Not know how you live in such cold!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2020 :  08:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I am going to remember the rain song.
Bonnie, that sounds like perfect quilting weather!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2020 :  5:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It is perfect quilting weather here in Texas, lots of rain and cool weather. Unfortunately, trying to finish (or just make a dent in) the move, I will not get any quilting done for a while.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2020 :  6:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, our last move caught me in bed with strep as well as the flu. I was so sick...but we had a deadline. So after a few days of meds, I began to fill black trash bags... With clothes, shoes, towels, etc. I wrote labels and stuck them on the bags. My husband and son tossed these in the back of the truck for the drive to this house. I never went outside...until everything had been moved. Then I bundled up for the ride. I had a terrible cough! .
Then I went in this house and went to bed and slept until the next morning. I had missed a week of school. I had to get well enough to go back the following Monday...and I did it, with God's help!
My problem was that I was so weak that after teaching all day I was spent. So each morning I was going through black bags looking for shoes, jewelry, scarves etc. It was summer when I finally got things organized.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 12 2020 6:27:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2020 :  6:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is perfect quilting weather when it is cold. I don't do as much when I want to garden in our short summers.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2020 :  4:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I would gladly give you this rain if I could. We have a short time of sun yesterday and back to rain today through Friday. I'm starting to feel like the house is waterlogged. The ground is a muddy mess here. Been good days for doing chores and reading.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2020 :  5:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God gave us an inch overnight Tuesday. and threw in a half inch extra during the day. Today was raw. But late afternoon was pleasant enough.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2020 :  06:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a bitter -38 below with wind chill yesterday, we woke up to 12 above this morning. I will enjoy doing chores today.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2020 :  07:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I guess you must be used to that weather, I don't know that I could handle it.

The rain has left for a bit after last night. The sun is out but the wind is bitter. Bundling up before we head out today. Going to enjoy the sunshine though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2020 :  07:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Luckily the rain stopped Wednesday afternoon, because we had a leak in the laundry room ceiling - again. This had already been claimed on insurance 2-3 years ago, and Ed had waited (or procrastinated) until a few months ago and had finally repaired the ceiling, and then, of course, it started leaking again. We called another roofer, who had put the new roof on our new house, and he came by yesterday. He said the other repair wasn't bad but wasn't the best way to have fixed it; he caulked a spot he said he thought was the problem. He didn't charge us and said if it didn't hold (we have more rain coming on Tuesday) to call and he would remove the first repair and repair it correctly. He was a former insurance adjuster, and said it would be best not to claim it again for the same spot, which was what I told Ed anyway. I may have him do that, anyway, because I don't want to have the new owners have a problem when we leave.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 118 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page