Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Weather you like it or not!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic
Page: of 118

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9194 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9194 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2019 :  6:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we lived in our other house here there was one that went right down the middle of the road. It took a tree out and it landed on the house across the street. And a great big one at the school went across the road and ended up on the 7-11. They had to get a big machine to cut the part out the went across the road so cars could get through. Those were both from the same storm. I was looking up tornado alley and it seems there are many but the major and most well known are the states you mentioned. There are extensions to it and that is where Ohio is included as well as Illinois.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 26 2019 6:26:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2019 :  8:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I hope your storms have passed now. We had a beautiful sunny day.
NOAA says all next week...Every day we have a chance of showers. I hope they are wrong.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2019 :  9:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a little sunshine I caught tonight as it was going down,

Keep safe ok

Love you all!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  12:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful...

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  04:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember when the big tornado hit Dallas in the late 1950s. I was in the 9th grade at Rusk Junior High. It struck when we were at home. It wasn't near us but we stood in the front yard as bits and pieces of homes floated in the still air over us. I don't remember how many lost their lives but it was must have been 10 or more because the tornado stayed on the ground for so long.

The tornado that hit Ft Worth -I don't remember the year but Marilyn might - was the first time I knew about one hitting skyscrapers. Blew out so many windows. Can't image being up in one of those buildings and windows were being blown out or down on the ground with all the glass falling.

I've seen tornados go across the sky but not touching down. I have also heard them go over. Terrifying sound.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9194 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9194 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  05:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful Darlene.
Sara the one we had sounded like a freight train going through. We lived in a split level and I woke up and we took my son, the baby at the time, and went down to the girls bedrooms. They all slept through it.
It was during the night and we didn't see what had happened till the next morning. I think they are scarier to be in than a hurricane. I was in Hurricane Ewa back in the early 80's when we were stationed at Pearl Harbor. None of the sailors were home because they always took the subs out to avoid damage at the pier.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 27 2019 05:08:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  06:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only seen one tornado in my life when I was a kid in Colorado and we had gone shopping and we were sitting some where a distance away where we watched a smaller one bounce up and down over the area where our house was in Arvada. It was scary watching that. It didn’t touch down though. I never earn of anymore there for a long time.
They are scary!

Have a good Saturday!

Blessings
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  11:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara I do remember that the Ft. Worth tornado twisted one of the sky scrapers. It seems that the 1950s were bad storm years. The Montgomery Ward building was flooded 7 stories up. I don't remember what year. I remember around '53-'54 on our drive to grandma's there was so much debris on the barbed wire fences, we kids were in the back seat asking our mother what was wrong with the fences. 13 inches of rain.
I was 5 when I saw my first tornado in the pan handle of Texas. It was traveling in a pasture while we were on the road, both going in the same direction. I remember it was very close to the ground, very big, a perfect purple cone.
I have seen several others, had them pass above us and keep on going. I do know that when one is over head you are in a vacuum or the eye...It is very still, very quiet...the birds don't even sing, and and very hot.
I have cleaned up after one, and since it hit our small rural school on a Saturday night, my job was to clean up the Superintendents office. Lots of broken glass, all over his office but none of the glass was as big as a dime. It was tiny pieces. Schools don't plan for tornados. Then teachers are left to try to figure out where to put the kids...I've only taught in one school building that had no windows. If you have grand kids in public or private school, teach them how to survive. Only some schools in Oklahoma have adequate safe space for kids. Hallways are often used...there are doors at each end of many of these " safe places, " with Windows in them. Plus the suction of a tornado could pull those kiddos right out.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 27 2019 11:44:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  4:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My husband and his family were driving in an Amish area in Indiana on their way back to Michigan one year when Ed was a child and on the radio they heard a tornado was coming that way. They stopped at an Amish home and told them the tornado was comming and the family invited them into the basement with them to wait. The tornado came through the town and Ed and his family saw some of the damages when they continued their way home, but I think the farmhouse where they stayed was not damaged. The Amish did not know it was coming and it was nice of them to let Ed's family go to the basement with them. I'll ask Ed if all my details are correct. Needless to say, tornadoes are terrible.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  5:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a neat story Linda.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  7:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a neat story Linda!
Wow Marilyn that was a deep,Flood! Horrible!, you would think an area that has lots of tornadoes would have stronger built schools and storm shelters?

No thank you!
Have a good Sunday!
Blessings
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  8:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know they should, but in Texas...last year in a faculty meeting about lock down drills, this question came up:
If we have our class on the playground and a gunman shows up, shooting and the buildings are all locked down, what should we do??? I could not believe it when the principal said, " You are on your own! Run! Just Run. "
So then the subject of tornados was next. They told teachers to put the kids in the halls because there was not enough room in the restrooms. Then I told my clean up story, the itty bitty glass. And as I looked around the room I saw glazed looks, as if they did not believe. The kicker to my story, and I did tell them,was that the tornado did not touch my room, which was connected to the Superintendents office and exposed to the direction the storm was coming from. Instead it went between the gym and superintendents office, hopped over the top of the gym and came down on the other side between the North side of the gym and lunchroom. All Windows were gone from the gym, superintendents office and the lunchroom.thank God it was Saturday night...no kids at school, no ball games. I do think God gives us warnings of things that may come about in the future.
The other thing that hungry bugs me is not providing covered walk ways from one building to another. So far they have not lost a kid but when the bell rings, older students must change classes, and when your campus covers three to five acres...They are going to get wet and could be struck by lightening.I
I once heard that old men in suits sit in offices and tell young men to go fight the enemy... In a way that is happening in schools when superintendents and principals sit in their offices and don't have to get out in the rain, wind, cold etc...but the kids do.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  9:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, neat stories

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2019 :  10:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is something!

Sad but so true!

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2019 :  10:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! SOme stories, Marilyn. You've seen a lot of storms.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9194 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9194 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  06:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is beautiful. It is 50 right now going to be in the 60's. The sun is shining so that is good. Chances for rain is in the forecast all this week.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  08:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, when you are born in tornado alley, and live in it for 75 years, yep I've seen a lot of storms.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  6:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, how are you doing with the storms???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  6:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We got some rain and a little winds, but the storms seem to have passed over us. Thank goodness.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9194 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9194 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  7:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had a bit of rain this evening. I think more is coming tonight and through tomorrow. I have things to keep me busy inside anyway.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  7:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have PLENTY to keep me busy inside. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2019 :  7:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had rain beginning about four. I hurried out to gather the eggs, feed some scratch and kibbles and bits to old Mr roo. I also found copperhead #2 entrapped in the netting.
We had a lot of rumbling, some lightening and downpours of rain. I forgot to look in the guage, but more is coming from the south!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9194 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9194 Posts

Posted - May 01 2019 :  04:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had rain in the night and it is going to be rainy or overcast all day. The upcoming month isn't looking very promising for sunshine as much as rain. Sometimes we get more April showers in May.

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 01 2019 04:38:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 01 2019 :  04:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is like our weather. Perhaps we will all need duck feet...at least our horses and cows. I see lots of muddy eggs to wash.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9194 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9194 Posts

Posted - May 01 2019 :  05:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far so good on the eggs but I collect them often to avoid that.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 118 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page