Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Weather you like it or not!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic
Page: of 118

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2019 :  6:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband said the guys at the lumber yard told him that the old fire station, right down town, where every little kid in town goes for a field trip and gets to hold the fire hose with big water coming out...lost its entire roof. It is a two story building and of course firemen sleep upstairs. I'm sure no one was asleep but that must have been horrifying.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2019 :  6:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baylee told me that they left one tree because it landed on the fence...from across the road/ lane...and if they cut it up and moved it the cows would get out. Wade is very sick...so he could not deal with fixing a fence. And we are still in feeding mode.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 21 2019 6:44:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  06:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry about Wade not feeling well Marilyn.
I hope he will be up and around quickly.

So glad all of you Texas gals are safe!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  06:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, station 41 in Dallas was damaged heavily. Dallas also has 2 elementary schools a total loss, 1 high school needs repairs that will take until Aug 2020 and 1 that still needs assessment so they can decide. High school and 1 elementary school students and staff being moved into empty school buildings they had and other elementary being split into two existing schools. Quite a job to get ready by tomorrow.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Oct 22 2019 06:59:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  09:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We saw the fire station when we went to the Post office. Wow! They have streets blocked off and there is broken glass a block away, telephone poles bent badly, power lines dangling. Two years ago we had a tornado not that apartment complex, the playground at the Methodist church, the court house, etc. This time the fire station. It is between the Baptist church and the church of Christ.
Makes me wonder...

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  09:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I turned on the tv last night I saw all the storm damage and had DH call his family in Fort Worth to make sure they were all ok. My good thoughts go out to all of you living there. I would be forever nervous worrying about tornados. DH wants to move to Texas but I'm going to stay right here where we just have occasional earthquakes.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  09:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
was that the Stephenville Fire Station, Marilyn? SO sorry to hear. So much damage with this tornado.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  11:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I am so sorry to hear about hear that the fire station was damaged by the hurricane! Hopefully the County is going to be able to get services out there to help with the clean up process.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  1:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were several men looking around this morning. I'm sure they had to have everything on hold until insurance, photographers, etc could look at the damages. I hope none of the firemen were asleep...if they were...I think they were plenty scared, hearing that.it makes you think about sleeping up stairs! The girls used to be required to move downstairs when we had stormy weather. I don't know if they still do, but Bay certainly knew when the storm hit! 2 am!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  1:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, shaking ground would drive me crazy! Although I do not blame you about not wanting to come to Texas...when I was young, tornadoes were a late spring event. Now they are year round! Yes they can be scarey...but we go on living. I always think of Job in the Bible. Such a sad story!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 22 2019 1:11:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  1:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry about the tornado damages. Praying!take care and keep safe?

Love and blessings and hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  1:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Linda it was the down town Original fire station. We have a new one out on the NW loop for the big fancy new homes.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  3:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So that's 2 damaged fire stations - Dallas 41 and Stephenville.

And on the Channel 5 weather they said they have now said there were 6 tornadoes in the DFW area and that Stephenville had Straight Line Winds. There was an EF-3 in Dallas, 3 more EF-1 tornadoes, and 2 EF-0 tornadoes. What a night!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Oct 22 2019 3:10:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  7:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if those were straight line winds they must have been ..no NO No I have a problem with that! My two mums sitting on the outdoor glass topped table did not move...not even a fraction of an inch, but just down the lane, not very far, big huge tree limbs ( 1 0" to 15" in diameter) were twisted off of trees, and tossed between 25' and 35' landing on a good five strand barbed wire fence,or out in the road!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2019 :  7:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are people you can call who can come out and look at your damage and maybe change what they said. Dad had straight-line winds at his property several years ago, and it twisted off trees and tops and toppled a couple trees but they did say it was straight-line winds. He had a large huge tree that split down the middle and fell into different directions, but it wasn’t twisted it was straight line winds. Redline winds don’t always go all the way to the ground. Freight line winds don’t always go all the way to the ground. They just what they said on the news about Stephenville.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  6:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were cold all day long today! We made it up to 42° and there is where we sat. Since I wanted autumn I tried of to grumble, but that 19mph North wind meant I had to wear my long coat outdoors. I had read, a couple of three weeks ago that our first frost might come
Nov. 4th...well the weather guys are saying next Wednesday night and again Thurs. I'm fact I have seen 29° Wed.. Nite! So Our autumn may not last as long as we might like. Meanwhile I have so much outside work to do to get ready...lots of plants to bring inside, more to move to the porch and chicken pens to winterize. I think I'm finished with deep cleaning my kitchen. That was a huge job, because of getting rid of tons of stuff.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  9:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
90 yesterday, 88 today. Looks like it's cooling off. My daughter has her electricity cut off due to high, dry winds and fire danger. The humidity was about 20%.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  9:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is frightening. And could be pretty warm...depending on where she lives.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  11:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She lives in the hills above Napa; Their temps are a few degrees less than here in the valley. They power was turned off two days ago, turned back on today, and will be shut off again tomorrow. Fortunately they have a small generator they turn on every couple of hours to keep the freezer and fridge cool.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Oct 25 2019 11:22:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  05:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this something that happens every year? I guess whatever the inconvenience, it.is better than the fear and panic, or even losing your home.
I remember about 14 years ago a fire was raging through rough ranch land North West of us.it came very close to a school I had taught in. Then it headed for town ten miles away. Thankfully they finally stopped it about two miles from town.
I was daycare director, at the local Lutheran church, with open pastures just across the road, a lumber yard, and a pecan tree forest. I called the fire department and asked if they had thought about us. I was so happy when the man said, yes they would send busses if we needed to be moved. Then I went home and packed my car...photo albums,quilts, pillows, clothing for me for a week, with toiletries.
Because we live in amidst acres and acres of hay fields and trees. Problem is the dead end road we are on. I put the quilts in my car thinking that if trapped, I could go to the arena, wet a quilt by dipping it in a water trough and hide from the fire under the wet quilt.The arena is extra big and all sand. My son plows it every few days.y
We have burn bans...but when the winds get up and pop power lines, a fire can spark!
That very thing happened on a large ranch, North of I 20 several years ago. After it burned all the way to a popular lake, about 90 miles away, devouring homes in its path...they began to trace backwards to try to see who started the fire. Not a who...just the wind and power lines, popping, sparking, and breaking the heavy line, which fell into tall grass. Because we had a South West wind, that was the force that pushed the fire to the north east, until it got to the lake.
Prayers said that your daughter will be safe, as well as her family and home.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 26 2019 05:20:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  06:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out here in Sapulpa, OK it has been pouring rain making it blustery, cold and wet. I couldn’t be happier!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been cozy in a sweater every day, wearing my knitted wool hat and mittens I made LAST YEAR, and enjoying the time with my friend. Today it is clearing up at last and supposed to be 61 this afternoon. Perfect weather for an Open House! Tomorrow I head home where the forecast temps are 87 with thunderstorms and the same weather through Wednesday. Hot, humid, and just like August. Booooooo!! LOL!!!! Maybe I can stay here for the week and wait for better weather in Floria. But, at the rate we have been going, I might have to move in for an unknown amount of time!! LOL!!!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  10:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -- We have this fire season every year but the past three or four years have been particularly bad. Two years ago we lost a whole town and 84 people died. It was windy and it was determined that a spark from power lines started at least two of the fires so everyone is sueing the power company. The power company is going bankrupt. They are now turning off power to vulnerable places when the weather conditions are conducive to fires. My daughter lives in the hills and the big fire two years ago burned all around her house; the only thing that saved the house itself was the fact that a fire company had it's staging area in her driveway below her house. The water tank, retaining walls, pvc pipes, electrical wires all burned but the house was saved, paint scorched and full of smoke but was saved . We spent over two weeks not knowing if the house was standing or not. I don't feel that fires started by high winds are the fault of the power company; I feel that is an act of God, but people want someone human to blame.
On the positive side, we have beautiful sunsets this time of year.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  1:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I'm glad you have beautiful sunsets. Texas has had some bad fires too.yes the high winds are often to blame.
This is my question...been asking for years...why don't they bury the electric lines like tephone and internet.???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  2:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter asked that question, and I told her they would have to cut down a lot of trees to do it and her lovely forested area would be bare. They are underground in some locations, mostly newer developments. That would stop the wind-caused fires but not the ones started by lightning or idiots throwing cigarets out of car windows.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  3:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And my next question, related to weather...I know the beaches near Galveston look hideous after being wiped clean by a hurricane, but why do people go back and build again???
Why do people build beautiful homes in forests??? Have they not read or listened when a teacher (like me) said...sometimes,.lightening will strike, set a raging forest fire, burning off the old growth timber, sage brush and leaves or needles on the forest floor...Then new little trees can see the beautiful sunshine, get drinks of rain that falls from heaven...and grow as tall as possible. So when you grow up do not build your home in the forest. Because you will be very sad when God decides to clean house.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 26 2019 3:30:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 118 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page