Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Weather you like it or not!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic
Page: of 118

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  11:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem here is there are just too many people. Somebody spread the word a few years back that California was the promised land and a lot of people believed it and moved here, plus being on the coast we get a lot of immigrants, also from Mexico. I hate to see housing developments being built on prime farm land but it is being gobbled up with big houses -- 5 bedroom homes for people with 1.2 children. A small crummy house here costs over 200K, and our cost of living is sky high. And still people keep moving here. Our recent drought problems weren't caused by too little water; the problem is too many people.
OK -- rant over.
The promised wind arrived about 1am and it's blowing a bit much to be out in it so I'm spending the day indoors working on some sewing I've been putting off for far too long.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  2:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our son told us today that the little tornado had damaged a lot of trees in Ernies place, which connects to our place and my son has leased. He went back in there on his four wheeler this morning early to check things out. Also my husband, Julie and Had went to the local flea market this morning. When they got back my husband said that they had discovered a huge tree limb, broken off an oak tree, but laying across some other limbs up high, waiting to fall on someone! So be careful! That was my warning.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  4:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I returned today from a fantastic chilly weekend in Oklahoma with my friend. It was blustery, rainy, and cold in the 40s for two days. It was fantastic because I could wear sweaters and corduroy pants! When I returned today to Gainesville, it was in the mid 80s, very humid, then it rained a bit, and then was even more humid. Tomorrow and Tuesday are supposed to be in the upper 80s with the same type of weather. Even our weather man said tonight that this was August weather and very above normal for the end of October. The cold front that passed by on Wednesday night, stalled and turned into a warm low front dragging moisture off of the Gulf across the entire state. So, long story short, Summer continues until another cold front moves across on Friday and hopefully cooling us down and drying us out. Another week of humid , thunder stormy days in the mid to upper 80s just doesn't fit with Halloween. The poor children are going to be so hot and sticky in their costumes! Where is Fall????????????????

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  5:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can verify fall has made it to Ohio. All the leaves are off the trees in my dd's backyard. But coming across Maryland it was just gorgeous. Loved traveling through as we took a different route this time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  5:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Windy here today -- 29 mph winds 10% humidity, 70 degrees. The leaves are blowing off the trees even tho they are still green.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  7:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, when I went to the barn to water the horses, my son had four horses tied and was leading one around and around a big hay field. Only one horse was in his stall. Problem I could not get to the water, but I decided to go thru an empty stall...as I approached it I noticed the horse tied there. He is my buddy so I am not afraid of him so much. Then what I noticed was his thick winter coat!
When my son came to wash and put the horse up that he had been exercising, I mentioned the winter coat. He had noticed it too. So I'm sorry you can't seem to get to autumn, but I'm wondering if we are about to be plunged into winter, and skip autumn almost totally. The little bit of autumn we have enjoyed has been delightful. We are stormy this week and should see our first frost...perhaps three before next Saturday.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  9:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I'm tending to be with you. 90 last week and 34 next week and our squirrels have big beautiful tails. My mother said you could predict the winter by the squirrels tails.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2019 :  04:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, the weather has been very uncertain for a long time. My son had planned to cut his hay, but had to drive to Wisconsin for the funersl. He came home to rain and storms, so I suppose if we get frost, the hay season will be over.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2019 :  8:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
high in the 40's here with lows in the 20s and 30s. Maybe a little snow this week. Ugh, I am not ready!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2019 :  9:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I hope your son gets the hay in before more storms or frost. I spent the afternoon getting the back porch ready to move in my frost-tender plants. Got the benches set up now need to hang some lights.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  05:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bundled up Bonnie! I don't think we are ever really ready for the changing seasons.

It is cool and overcast but supposed to be a high of 66. Not too bad. We have the heat on but only to take the chill off in the mornings. I was grateful for sunshine while we were traveling yesterday.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  05:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
High of 50s here today and tomorrow.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Judith, my son turned the cows in on the hay pastures...so they have been munching away and dropping some fertilizer as they go. We are due for a hard freeze in about 40 hours.
Guys we skipped autumn and it is winter here. The 60s sounds great Denise.
Linda the high 50s sounds great too. This drizzle, rain and temps in the 40s seems cold to me. My plants are in the back bedroom/now a neater storage area. I just bought a small electric heater to keep them warm, until Sunday.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  11:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
70 today, 34 last night; turned the heat on. I usually try to wait until Nov. 1st to turn the heat on but it just got too chilly last night.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  12:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been running two electric heaters. One has been on for almost two weeks. My husband had the wood stove ready for a fire...when he gets cold enough.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  1:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We usually seem to get cold before they do.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  07:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's cool here today, overcast but suppose to reach 73. This will be the last day in the 70's for us for a while. After this it's 50's and getting in the high 30's at night. Our leaves are all off the maple tree out back but the maple out front is just starting to turn. So many leaves already to rake up!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  09:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went down to 25° early this morning although we were below freezing since about 1 am. It steadily dropped. Hey we are having a heat wave: it is 36° at almost noon. They say our high will reach 50° by 4pm. Then we begin the d r o p ... again.Tonite we are supposed to "only" drop to 28°...let me tell you it is cold here! I can take 20° if there is no wind, but this North wind is colder than cold. Thankfully the guys are building another something inside a big barn, so they have been out of the wind. Every morning I say, you need a coat. It is cold outside. Today he took his coveralls, just in case it was cold there.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  11:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cold Halloween here in West TN. High of 45 today!!October the 1st it was 96 for the high!! Snow flurries scattered all over the county! Frost warning tonight!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Oct 31 2019 11:27:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  11:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
88 degrees here today and humid! We might get some thunderstorms late afternoon. Supposedly, a cooler front will pass down here after midnight with tomorrow and Sat. in the low 70s. Well, I will believe it when I see it! I feel b ad that our children are going to have to be really hot trying to trick or treat this year. It is just way, way to much like August that October 31!!!!!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  6:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we never get trick or treaters any more, I called Hadlee and asked her to come up and bring her sister. She told me it would be a little bit. Well...let me tell you...they scared the daylights out of me! They said they saw me through the window, as I was eating my salad, so they went around the house to the sunroom. Bapa let them in, they put on their silly little masks, and came roaring Into the kitchen. I was not expecting that! But it was fun. I gave them big Hershey bars, a box of Boy Scout popcorn, and they each got a Christmas ornament, and a quart of new crop pecans. So they can share with Triston, their mom and dad.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  9:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's been raining sideways because we have winds hitting 60 mph right now. Woke me up. Cooling it down to a high of 52 today. Definitely sweater weather.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  06:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our area has had a lot of wind her
Love you all

Darlene jn

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  06:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
22 degrees this morning and it is not supposed to get above 34. We have rain and snow mix coming in this afternoon with a lot of wind so it looks to be a very blustery day. I really need a home day so I don't think I will mind this too much.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  09:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No trick or treaters here - a bit chilly - in the 40s

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 118 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page