Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Weather you like it or not!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic
Page: of 118

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  3:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent so much time wrapping my three late tomato plants. It did no good. The two pepper plants are ok. The strawberry plants that I did nothing to are still pretty. The pumpkin vine, it is dead too.
On the bright side..we had a beautiful day today.the breeze was cold but the sun was so welcome.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2019 :  06:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We woke up to 34 degrees and had had a freeze warning come up at 3:30 this morning. Sort of late to warn everyone. I didn't have anything left out though. My roses are still blooming. Found a tiny bloom on my geranium this morning. It hasn't bloomed all summer. Our high is supposed to hit 50 so still on the cool side but thankfully not too cold yet.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  04:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We finally got a chilly front to pass through and Friday and Saturday were high near 70 and down to the lower 50s at night. Today starts another warm up and most of the week will be in the low 80s with the mid 60s at night. It felt so nice to have a break from the heat and humidity at least for the weekend.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  1:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We will warm up to almost 70 this week sometime but by Friday there are flurries in the forecast. Brr. I'm cuddled up with my hot tea, throw and book this afternoon. A good day for it!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  4:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, we are supposed to be in the 70 early this week. I believe we have another norther due Thursday. I was reading "Cloudy with a chance of," when my brain said MEATBALLS! You can tell I read to little kids for many years! Looks like Wednesday and Thursday will be cloudy. ..sunny days otherwise!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2019 :  12:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
33 degrees when we woke up this morning and frost all over the place. Keeping warm!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  06:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think winter has taken aim on us. It rained all night, slow and steady quite nice to hear...but the wind picked up around 7am and it is so gusty and cool. Now we do the temperature drop.
Next week will be cold, bitter cold with North winds of 25 mph...that will make me wish for the 17 mph of today. It is so hard to keep this old house warm when the winds are 25mph out of the north.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  12:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is quite overcast today. But I have been busy so that's keeping me warm.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  11:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're having unbelievable weather; 80 daytime; 39 night. No rain in sight.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  06:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
42 this morning here; not going to warm up too much. Should warm up tomorrow.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  4:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was outside most of the afternoon. I had my fleece jacket on as I picked up pecans and planted tulips. But then I got too warm. So I took off the jacket and fed the chickens, put cardboard and used wet hay from the pumpkin patch in the raised beds. Sadly my wagon broke! I guess I wore it out. I had just said that I needed a Henry or a Hank wagon. Unless my husband can do some magic to fix it I guess I will need to look. I use it daily.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2019 :  6:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear friends, I hope you are warm and dry tonight.
Wow what a day! Our Norther was predicted to hit at 10am but it was in a huge hurry, and arrived over two hours early! Thankfully I was able to work outside until about 2pm...because I had on warm clothes and came inside now and again for something warm to drink. When I was at the barn I kept seeing stuff blowing through the air, across the hay field. I thought perhaps it was sand...but no it was mist. The wind makes it so cold, it is 27° but feels like it is 15°.because of the winds from the north.
I am thankful that we do not have snow and ice like the folks South West of us have.
I am thankful I was able to winterize the chicken pens, and turn my back room into a plant room with plastic over the outside and inside of the three Windows in there.
The wind will continue all night and all day tomorrow, until it finally lays late tomorrow night.
Think I will go to bed and see if I can get toasty warm.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2019 :  6:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It was 66 here this morning, and at 11:30 went from 62 to 41 in about an hour. It was 33 outside an hour ago and ice was forming on the front steps. Not good!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2019 :  9:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It dropped so fast, Be careful, Linda.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  06:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thermometer reads 9.7 this morning. It was -2 yesterday morning. So the warm up has started. We did get about 4 inches of snow Saturday, bringing us to a standstill for awhile, although it is supposed to be back up in the 40's later in the week. I a! Putting my inside time to good use and working on a few christmas gifts.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  07:58:23 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
25 here this morning with wind chill of 13. Brrrrr

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  10:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, some of you have been under the influence of Old Man Winter! Me, on the other hand, has 1 or2 cooler days and then warm again.. Today is 81 already and tomorrow is supposed to be 60! We shall see about that. I am not holding my breath. We also could use more rain as it is very dry again.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Nov 12 2019 10:14:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  5:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my some of those Temps make me shiver! Surprisingly we had snow flurries today. It had been raining and windy this morning and changed to snow around noon. Didnt get any accumulation though. Still wet and windy tonight.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  8:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I went to water horses at lunch, I was so glad I had filled up buckets and a feed barrel, leaving them in the apartment. They had zero ice, while every bucket was a big ice cube. The horses were happy to have a bit of water, for sure. Then I was hot so I took off my coat. I was dressed from head to foot in fleece. But when I got out in that wind, breaking ice in 7 troughs, I began to think I removed my coat too soon. But walking warmed me up. Being a farmer may be fun in nice weather...but watering in ice cold weather just Ain't much fun! My chickens were all without drinks and I had already taken care of them before I went to the barn and horses.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  12:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, that cold sounds horrible. I hate being cold as much as I hate being too hot. I'll wish our balmy weather your way. Do you have anyone who could help you?

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  02:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, it was pretty bad, but it is the wind that it the worst part. Long ago I learned that working outdoors in 20° weather with zero wind...you will get rid of coats and coveralls quickly, because you begin to sweat it you dont. But let the wind begin to blow and you need coveralls, a coat, gloves, face protection, a wool stocking cap, a wool scarf, etc.
Everyone leaves to go to work most mornings.Since the guys and Bay are trying to finish a remodel, that is a good hour and 15 to 30 minutes from home, they are tired when they do get here. So yesterday I tried to help, because I knew it would cause busted plumbing if we ran water from outside faucets, even though we have them wrapped and covered.
Usually when the weather is this cold we also have moisture that keeps them from driving. Not so this time.
God takes very good care of me! And I tried to be very careful.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  06:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wind is very bitter here today. JT went out in insulated coveralls and coat. He took gloves even though he cannot yet get his half finger in one yet. Still swollen but very sensitive to the cold.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 13 2019 06:14:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  08:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers for JT. I know how hard it is. We have a very, very cold wind from the south today. We are finally up just above freezing. Last night I was looking at today's forecast...no sun today! Now that is disappointing!!!.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  2:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DH is driving to Texas. I tried to convince him to take Hwy 10 instead of 40 due to weather but I think it fell on deaf ears.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  3:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My aunt and uncle did that many years ago, I was a young married mommy about 21. They got into a huge snow storm, got stuck on the highway, in huge drifts, right along with other travelers. I think they were pretty cold, but survived.I

I hope he is taking some nice warm clothes as well as blankets, food and water. He should take a thermos...he can leave home with hot coffee and stop for a fill up of his thermos along the way. What part of Texas is he headed to?

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 13 2019 3:53:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 118 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page