Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Weather you like it or not!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic
Page: of 118

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  6:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's going to his nephew's in Fort Worth, I think the lease is in Jacksboro. He'll be warm as he has 6 weeks worth of hunting clothes, sleeping bag, and all the cold weather stuff. Coffee is a given. I just talked to him and he's in Amarillo tonight. He wasn't in a good mood as a trucker forced him off the road into a ditch. Fortunately no damage except to his temper. I'll be flying down in December to ride home with him.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  7:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So he is going hunting? For deer? At least the weather will be pleasant for his first week.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  11:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deer and hogs. And sometimes anything that moves. One year he included an armadillo. Nice white meat but he gave it away so I didn't have to figure out how to cook it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  06:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second year I taught school, 1970, on Monday mornings my little people could not wait to tell me what they had eaten over the weekend. Some of the little Hispanic kids had fresh roadkill. I guess their cars drove around at night and found the critters. They also killed squirrels, rabbits, birds, etc. Anything to feed their family. Of course back then when peop!e came over from Mexico they did not get free everything. They came to pick the crops, then moved on. They owned only the essentials. I showed a movie in early December, that year, that showed a family deep in Mexico, eating beans...no forks, no spoons, they used a tortilla to scoop the beans from their plate, into their mouths.
The first year I taught, by Christmas I had to turn the page in my grade book and begin listing names on the next page. Never, did have that issue again. There was a huge pecan orchard and many Hispanic families came to the tiny town to harvest the pecans. That tiny town of less than 3,000 people is now a huge bedroom community of Fort Worth...all because they made a constant level lake, which filled with heavy rains in April 1970. We went from three sections of each grade level to nine. That was what we had when I left after teaching nine years. Now they have lots of elementary schools.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 14 2019 06:55:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  09:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had an early snow storm and the snow is still there ... it is so beautiful. I love a good snow storm ... as long as everyone is safe and warm.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  10:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Overcast and cool here today. We are supposed to get rain tonight, which we badly need, and then a set of days in the mid 60s and upper 40s at night. I hope it holds and we can really enjoy some fall weather for more than one day.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  11:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole has your Pumpkin graduated from college? Is she married yet? Does she have a good job? We haven't heard you speak of her in a long time.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2019 :  04:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,
I'm with you on the snow storm as long as everyone can stay safe, warm and cozy.

Very cold here this morning. The wood stove stays going most all day now and into the night. Still haven't started the wood furnace but we will when the propane gives out. We use two tall tanks for the times when we aren't constantly running the furnace. The wood furnace requires fairly continuous running so it has to get pretty cold for us to be able to keep the fire going.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2019 :  07:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are blessed today with sunshine! It is 48° at 9:39am...and the bestest part is the wind is only 1mph...yippie! We are supposed to go up to almost 60° this afternoon. I need to work inside but the lure of the out doors is calling to me.
It looks like tonight we will drop to very near freezing again, then stay above for a week or so. Thank you God for Texas weather!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2019 :  07:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is 35 here this morning and supposed to get up to 55. Since we will have a houseful of people I am glad the kids can play outside. It is the last day of hunting season here and I will be happy to not have all the strange vehicles drive up our driveway asking to hunt on our land or hunters thinking a no hunting sign does not pertain to them. I have kicked a lot of hunters off places they weren't supposed to be in the last 3 weeks and turned several over to the game warden.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2019 :  08:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, good for you Julie!I
I will never forget the year we had to call the game warden on New Years eve. Some folks had cut a fence into my son's lease land for cattle. My grand daughter took such good pictures of deer and human tracks, deer blood, deer drag marks, etc that the game warden came to their house to see her photos. As it turned out we reported them about 11am. Then the game warden came out mid afternoon to sit and wait...sure enough the hunters returned and he got them. They could not deny the evidence. It was almost midnight when he finally finished up.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2019 :  09:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I don't understand why they can't just hunt on public lands. I'm glad you stood your ground and called the game warden. People tend to think they are above the law.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2019 :  2:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't have a lot of public land around us, so I understand the desire to hunt private land. We do let a lot of people hunt our land, but we have to limit it so no one gets hurt. When someone is hunting a quarter or half section and someone who doesn't have permission comes in from the back side, someone could get shot and that is our biggest concern. Or they sit on the road next to a field we are harvesting waiting for a deer to run out. It is a little nerve racking knowing they are pointing a gun not to far away from you. Last year we lost a good friend and neighbor because of this.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2019 :  7:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie I hope you have a more peaceful time now that hunting season is over.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  04:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone been getting snow or anything from that storm system going across the country? We will be getting rain tomorrow and Monday which I am not looking forward to, I would rather have the snow.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  07:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We ended up with about 14 inches from the storm system and freezing rain before that. I don't have to go anywhere until tomorrow afternoon. One of the granddaughters has a basketball game in a neighboring town so I hope the roads are cleared up a bit by than. It is 17 this morning and the wind is blowing at 10 so feels pretty nippy out there. Hopefully we will get some warmer days to get back to corn harvest. We finished soybeans the night before Thanksgiving, giving us one more thing to be thankful for.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  10:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Julie, I can't imagine still harvesting once the snow comes. But you are right. Thankful for what is.

I think they said snow for us Monday late evening to early morning. So probably will be gone by the time we wake on Tuesday morning. Right now it is a steady rain and has been since about 9 this morning going through till tomorrow night.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  03:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We didn't get the snow they said we would on Monday but I saw snow forecast for this morning early for a couple hours. Was supposed to start by now but so far nothing. I was hoping we will get a little before January this year. I hope our winter is not all rain.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  06:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Denise, I truly hate rain in the winter months. For us it just makes everything an ice rink that never goes away until spring. Not sure which thermometer to believe this morning. The outdoor weather station show 19 and the weather app on our phones shows 26. I am going with the 26, just sounds better. Lol.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  1:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rain, rain, and more rain. I hadn't driven anywhere for the past week and went to Walmart yesterday to get some needed items. When I got there and got out of the car something didn't feel right -- my whole backside was wet. The car leaked. Kind of embarrassing shopping with a wet butt but fortunately didn't see anyone I knew. With more rain forecasted I covered the car with a tarp and bungee cords when I got home. And changed my jeans. Unless we get some sunny weather I won't be driving anywhere. It's a good thing I'm a pack rat and have enough food here to last me until we get home from Texas. The good news is my son fixed my kitchen sink so I don't have to use the laundry room washtub for everything. I did call my DH and chew him out good because he was supposed to take care of the car leak before he left.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  2:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate winter rains too! That just about all we get. A day of sunshine,2 days of rain. It's depressing. When the sun does shine we have it very windy and cold. If I have to have cold I'd rather it be from snow!

Oh Judith, so sorry you have that to deal with on top of the rain.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  3:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are actually having a dry day today. No sunshine but at least it isn't raining and is letting the ground soak it up a little before the next three days of predicted rain. I love how the weather people want to make everything sound terrible -- they used to say rain predicted, then everything was a storm, then the other night they called it an atmospheric storm. Come on, guys -- it's still just rain!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  4:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith remember if they can use fear they can sell more stuff. If it sounds ominous everyone will head to the store to stock.

We just head to the woodpile to get dry wood in the house. LOL

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  6:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sometimes think we would be better off with less media.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  7:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I call them Weather Guessers! Very few get it right.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 118 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Weather you like it or not! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page