ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  08:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to tackle a subject that has been on my mind for quite some time. What do we want to do with henhouse members that are MIA, meaning they are not replying to my snail mail cards and/or posting on the forum for quite some time (a few months)?

First let me say, that I fully understand that sometimes life can get overwhelming and we need to put something aside. I am NOT talking about our fellow henhouse sisters that have been in contact with me, letting me know that they will be taking a break. I'm talking about those that I have heard nothing nor have they posted something on the forum for an extremely long time. What do you suggest the procedure should be?

I certainly do not expect every member to post every single day. Although posting is voluntary, it does contribute to the dynamic and well-being of our group. I so enjoy reading what you all are up to! The henhouse concept was designed to be a more intimate setting, allowing us to develop closer relationships. I do not want to make a rule of so many posts a month, but popping in once in a while would be nice.

Also, I want to make it clear that you are under no obligations to send out anything to any of the henhouse sisters... if you do, it is out of the kindness of your heart. However, it has come to my attention that some of you are concerned that you hear nothing from them, no thank you etc., despite having sent cards etc... Myself, I do not expect a thank you when I send a birthday and/or thinking about you card, however Emily Post book of etiquette does mention that a “thank you/acknowledgement” is in order when a gift has been sent to you.

Furthermore, no one is under any obligations to participate in swaps. Swap participation are NOT mandatory to henhouse membership. In other words, you can be a member of the henhouse and NOT participate in any swaps. Everything that is organized by our wonderful members is strictly voluntary.

So, what is your take on this subject? Looking forward to your participation.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 25 2016 5:19:31 PM

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  09:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, It seems to me that if they have not made any contact in six months, they could be "set aside" or dropped. The thank you and follow through issue has been a problem elsewhere as well. Over on the swap page on the main forum we had a couple of ladies join too many swaps last fall and then sort of hide out when they realized the mess they were in. That left a lot of people sad. Angels helped out, but there was disappointment first. This year on the Mail Art swap we have had a couple not complete their swaps and also they will not respond to email or notes on the page. Common courtesy is so easy, and costs nothing. I know we are all busy, but when you participate, and begin to get to know each other, you want to check in to see what everyone is up to. I try to subscribe, and that pulls me in, usually several times a day, when I need a few minutes to rest my back.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4643 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4643 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  10:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to agree with the 6 months and no contact to be dropped. That is plenty of time to have told you that there is a reason to be out of contact for some time. I try to respond to most of the posts as much as I can. I think the henhouse is a great way to keep in touch and our henhouse has members include many people that I've been involved with in swaps on MJF before I was in the henhouse. I love having the smaller group - we can get to know the members better in smaller groups.

I also send thank yous for special occasion and gift items received, and try my best to keep up with that. I'm at the point right now where I've lost my list and can't remember who I've sent and who needs a thank you to be sent. So - if I've forgotten one of you, I'm sorry. And in case you get a second thank you, that's why.

I love swaps, and agree with Marilyn that some people tend to get involved with too many swaps. I join those I know I can complete well, and I know most people also do that.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  11:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have not bee as involved as much lately, but do check in a few times a week :)! I do think about you all, but have been so busy lately with "life"! I am involved in a couple of swaps at the moment, which I really enjoy, when time permits! One of our dogs had to have her second ACL surgery, hubby is having issues with his diabetes, been working on a quilt for my great granddaughter, so it's been a little crazy here. Know that I think about you all, even if I don't post! Sometimes I just have a few minutes to read what is going on, but don't respond. Thanks so much for all you do to keep this great Henhouse up and running, I appreciate it :)!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  11:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooops - I forgot to mention that we have been harvesting Honey - VERY time consuming :) But we are truly blessed by this - no complaints at ALL!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  3:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Ruth, do post about your honey harvest on a new post topic. I'm sure lots of us are interested especially after the great article in the last MJF issue.

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9226 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9226 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  5:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the 6 month time frame. I believe that is plenty of time for someone to pop in or at the very least make contact with you Carole, even if just to say something is going on. Not necessarily what because sometimes there are things that happen that may not be comfortable to share or whatever. As for swapping its never been mandatory. I don't sign up if I don't think I can follow through. Sometimes maybe we get caught up with the fun of it all and find we can't follow through, there is nothing wrong with letting the host know. It is uncomfortable to admit if we've over extended ourselves but its worse to just fall off the map because of being embarrassed it happened. Also it makes the partner hesitant to join again. If you have been in contact and no answer then I believe a time limit is appropriate.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  7:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ladies,
So very sorry that I haven't posted in a while. Life has become so very busy lately. My sister is still going through radiation treatments. Mom is in the hospital with colitis and a lower GI bleed. Tomatoes need canning and our computer needs to be fixed again.

Hopelly, things will settle down in the next few weeks. Lol I also hate using this tiny phone to post. This is the third time I have written the post. Such a little screen and keyboard. Lol at least I have something to use. Will post again as soon as I have time.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread

Edited by - Lavender Rose on Aug 25 2016 7:09:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6001 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6001 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  10:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to answer this this after noon and had a message all written up and then my internet went off.
Six months without any communication is a long time. So I guess if they still want to be in this Henhouse they should contact you or just someone so that we can know they are ok. Or if they aren't interested they should let you know anyhow.I know that there have been problems with Windows 10 and the internet during that time. I have heard a lot with that.
Still they could send you a card or something.
I hate saying no to any of them, I just wish they would email you Carole.
Well I hope everyone of our Henhouse is well.
I love you all.
Blessing Have a good day tomorrow.

darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  05:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in agreement with all of you as well. It does seem like 6 months is a reasonable time frame to consider someone inactive or dropped. Especially when they have not responded to your emails or personal snail mail. Like others here, I enjoy the smallness of the HenHouse which allows us to all get to know one another better. After all, isn't that the best feature of having such a thing? Life gets busy and people have many other things taking up their time, which is fine. We all understand that. It is also OK if they just can't participate in the HenHouse for what ever reason. There is no obligation here but I agree that they should at least let Carole know , when contacted, they they wish to drop out. For whatever reasons, I am joining Darlene in hoping that everyone in our HenHouse is well.

Everyone have a great day today!! Fall is just around the corner!!! WooHoo!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could ask if anyone has seen any activity...such as joining swaps, by the person. I have noticed that some people only focus on one thing at a time.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6001 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6001 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  11:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is true Marilyn.

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  12:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I would like to focus on the henhouse and not the main forum. It would be time consuming for me to check the forum, or ask others if they have seen posts from such and such. And even if they have, perhaps they no longer wish to be part of the henhouse, perhaps they found that it wasn't for them. I certainly respect that. Perhaps some are no longer members of the MJF sisterhood, who knows?

In a perfect world, it would be nice if they communicated their wishes to me and not just fall of the MJF planet!

BTW, Alexis did send me a kind note. So sweet of her. She's busy with having taken on a couple of jobs. I have since sent her an e-mail awaiting her decision/reply.

Catch you later! Cheers!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1247 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1247 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  1:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with everyone else, life is very busy for everyone and I know. It can get overwhelming at times, but if you want to be a part of the hen house it doesn't take that much time to jump on every once in a while and say hi. I know I have not been on as much as I would like here lately, things just keep happening. Like Ruth said I do think of all of you daily and miss being here all the time, but I do try to read the post and get caught up on what is happening. Thank you all for being here.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  2:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to ditto to the six month rule. Granted we are all busy with life, but there comes a time when we need to say no.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  3:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No can be so hard to say!!! But I tend to agree. I already let Carole know this, but am putting it out here to all of you.... HOPEFULLY we will be getting our orders soon... and will be moving. During that time frame, I will probably be MIA again! Not wanting to waste everyone's time or efforts, I haven't sent in my newest address, as it is only temporary. If anyone is trying to get ahold of me, please send me an e-mail. I'm happy to share my address and phone number, but don't want everyone to keep having to change it, as we are in a major transitional period in our life!!! Love to all <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4643 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4643 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  5:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Shannon - I hope you hear soon about your orders, new house, and move. Waiting can be so difficult sometimes, especially for kids. Keep us posted whenever you can.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6001 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6001 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  5:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way has anyone heard from Marlee?
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  09:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, Marlee has recently posted.

After much reflecting on your input (both here on the forum and otherwise), six (6) months will be the cut off point! If I haven't heard from them, they will be removed from the henhouse. You will be advised when they are no longer members of our henhouse.

I don't think it's to much to ask for our members to contribute to the dynamic of the henhouse by letting us know how you're doing.

Thank you for your feedback.

Carole

Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic MIA What to do ....! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page