Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  08:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm starting this thread so we can talk about what we are doing in our kitchens besides cooking meals. Carole has that covered on another thread.

What are you canning, drying, freezing, infusing, and fermenting?

Today and tomorrow I will be drying apples and lemon rinds. Also starting a new batch of ACV.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth

Edited by - YellowRose on Sep 18 2016 12:19:00 PM

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  11:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - How do you make your ACV?

On my counter is my sourdough starter :) I made a loaf of sourdough artisan bread last night. I need to start another batch of oatstraw infusion and one of stinging nettles as well. Over the next couple days I will be making and canning more chicken broth.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  12:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, I use MaryJane's recipe in her Aug/Sept 2015 magazine. If you don't have that issue I have an extra copy I can send you. Let me know if you need it. I gifted my sister a year's subscription but she didn't get into it so she gave me the magazines. I use them to tear out articles I want to file away.

I'm thinking about sourdough bread and starting a starter but I'm not there yet.

I do want to learn about infusing.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2016 :  2:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love love love sourdough bread! We usually have kombucha, water kefir and milk kefir going as well, but with moving, the latter three got destroyed by the movers (though they were told not to touch them and we were going to take care of them!)

I'm having some pretty serious health issues, so infusions are pretty key for me right now in trying to find a balance and better health.

I'll look to see if I have that issue... I should, but with all our moving, I am finding that I missed some issues due to not getting my address switched quick enough :( Totally my own fault!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  02:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today through next week my kitchen will be busy.

3lb apples to dry for Annie's doggy treat
Peelings & core of apples to ferment for ACV.
1 Stalk of Celery to dry - leaves for cooking - starks for celery salt.
1 Pineapple's Peelings & Core to ferment for pineapple vinegar - fruit to my sister.
2 pints of Snack Size Tomatoes to ferment.
Onions & Garlic to dry.

Ground dried lemon peels in blender for lemon pepper.
Ground dried celery stalks for celery salt.
Ground dried onions for onion powder.
Ground dried garlic for garlic powder or flakes.

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  05:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful thread Sara. Although I am slowly cleaning out my garden for the year there are still daily projects to do. Today I am putting a batch of Apple rings on the dehydrator. We have eaten many already and I want to get extra done for this winter. I will be hanging sage and lemon balm in my pantry to dry and stringing my purple bean pods to hang and dry that I want to save for seed.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  06:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie your panty must smell wonderful every time you open the door.

Do you save a lot of seeds?

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  09:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
three loaves of sour dough bread are rising, 2 bags of brussel sprouts from Costco roasting for the freezer, and my dehydrator needs to be filled with herbs to dry. I need to bake some doughnuts for tomorrow's breakfast.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  10:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon your kitchen is busy too. Busy kitchens make happy FarmGirls. I may embroider that saying on a kitchen towel.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  11:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea Sara! Not much is going on in my kitchen! Our garden is not as prolific as the prior years. Not even sure I will have enough tomatoes to create "sun dried" tomatoes with our dehydrator! The zucchinis were a bust! Sigh .... time for a break!

Catch you all later! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2016 :  5:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have become fascinated by the art of fermenting and have invested in several books. My latest is "Preserving the Japanese Way" by Nancy Singleton Hachisu. One of the recipes I want to try is persimmon vinegar. If I remember correctly persimmons are not harvested until after first frost so it will be awhile before they show up in the stores.

Persimmons are much more popular in Japan than here. There they are used in all kinds of dishes but here I have only eaten them fresh.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  04:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checked on ACV and pineapple vinegar and both are perking along. The snack tomatoes are ready to put into fridge.

While grocery shopping yesterday I talked with the produce manager and he told me persimmon season is short and they may be as high as $1.99 each. Since making vinegars is part of my play time I told him I would pay that so he will set aside six persimmons for me. A bottle of small batch vinegar would cost me that are more in a shop so I figure my play time is worth that and maybe more.

Edited by - YellowRose on Sep 29 2016 04:55:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - I have never had persimmons before... very interested in the outcome! I cannot find that issue of the MJF magazine... would you be willing to either send it to me or just copy the recipe for me??? I may have it somewhere, but between things still being packed from our last move and getting ready to move again, I have no clue where it is!!!

Today I have grapes boiling on the stove to eventually make grape jelly. We visited my cousin down in Florida this past weekend (his wife is my best friend!), and we picked grapes while there :) I have A LOT to do over the next few days, so am excited to make jelly and can it as I find the process extremely enjoyable and relaxing!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  09:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all that's going on right now I am so glad you have something you enjoy and find relaxing. Shannon, send me your snail address and I will get it in the mail.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  12:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You are so busy, Sara. I wish I had your energy and knew how to can. You, too, Shannon. I am getting ready to start using my dehydrators and will start on apples. Ed's sisters dehydrate everything - they were doing broccoli and cauliflower when we were there.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  1:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I haven't tried broccoli or cauliflower. It would be handy for broccoli and cheese soup.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  5:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been putting together freezer meals. Also have plans for more pies for the freezer and dehydrating apples.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  5:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, what freezer meals to you put up? Apples seems to be a favorite of everyone to dry.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  8:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have garden produce all over the counters. Froze green beans today. Have squash, tomatoes and potatoes. I made a meat loaf with potatoes and gravy for supper. So nice to be able to turn the oven on without dying of heat.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2016 :  06:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie there's something satisfying about seeing my counters and table covered with produce to preserve in some way. It speaks to the FarmGirl in me.

This morning I will harvest two thyme plants and hang in Yellow Rose Cottage. I think it's time to stir the pineapple vinegar and check on ACV.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2016 :  3:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Bonnie I haven't had a good meatloaf in a long time. I know it is going to be so tasty. Yum.
Denise your meals so really delicious. It is a good thing to have them made a head.
Sarah I bet that Pineapple vinegar is going to be so good to use on everything. Mmmmm, mmmmm. :D
linda dehydrators are pretty neat aren't they.

Well have a wonderful day in your kitchen
Love you all.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  04:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is grocery shopping day and persimmons are on sale so I will be able to start a batch of persimmon vinegar. Will check on ACV and pineapple vinegar later today. The PV should be ready.

Bought green tomatoes yesterday at fruit/veg stand and will get cucumbers and zucchini today to make a fermented relish. With the vinegars I am running out of counter space for jars of fermenting veggies so I will make relish instead. Relish will be good on sandwiches and in potato or chicken salads.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  08:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just realized I have a persimmon tree in my back yard. This is the first year since I have lived here (6 years) that the tree fruited, and they are very small compared to what I see in the stores. They are only about 1-1/4" size. What is ACV? Where do you get your recipes for the vinegars? You are SO busy in your kitchen. I need to start making a few things like that. You are an inspiration, Sara.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  09:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda we had a persimmon tree when I was growing up on the farm. One thing I know about them is not to eat them until they are ripe. I took a bite out of one before it was ripe and I still remember how it puckered my mouth.

ACV is apple cider vinegar. I have several books on fermenting and they have a few vinegar recipes. I want to find a good book on vinegars so I can learn more about the process.

Persimmons were not in and I forgot to get a raincheck. May go back before next Wed for one.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  06:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't get the rain check so I have no persimmons. Today is grocery shopping day, maybe they will have them in today if so I will pay full price for them. Cocktail tomatoes are on sale, so I will get them to start a batch of fermented tomatoes. Almost have finished up the last batch made with snack size tomatoes. BTW I didn't know there were so many sizes of tomatoes.

Red onions aren't on sale but I need a couple to make red onion jam. My sage plant bit the dust so I will have to buy fresh sage for the jam. Recipe calls for dried rubbed sage but I prefer fresh sage. My goal is to can the jam either tomorrow or Friday.

Butternut squash is on sale and I have a recipe for fermented butternut squash - I may give that a try.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  07:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW, Sara! I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your kitchen to see all the wonderful things you make. I wish I was that talented to make all the jams, relishes, and other things you make.

I have a dehydrator and plan to do strawberries and apples this week.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Oct 12 2016 07:58:05 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page