Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  06:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Linda!!!! Sara sent you a fantastic package of goodies in your barter. What fun it will be to try out all of her canning work that she loves to do. Cooking just got a new twist on it in your kitchen! I also love that darling flag with the mini apron that she made. Too cute! Your aprons that you sent in exchange are so cute and perfect for our upcoming Jubilee! Sara, you are going to be a Jubilee Fashionista at the YellowRoseCottage this Summer!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  07:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much going on in my kitchen. DH was away last weekend so I ate whatever I liked. For some strange reason I didn't feel like cooking. So unlike me! Oh well!

Linda, so sweet of Sara to include extra goodies!

Sara, why do you dry portabella mushrooms? Just curious.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  07:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole I like the convenience of dried mushrooms for soups and sauces. I also grind them into a powder in the blender to use in sauces to thicken them and for deeper mushroom flavor. Even if I am using fresh mushrooms sometimes I will add dried ones for another level of flavor.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  07:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie thanks for the kind words about my mixes/blends/canning - it was fun bartering with Linda. The apron she made for me is beautiful. Perfect for me and my kitchen - chickens and pumpkins.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  12:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara have you ever tried freeze dried mushrooms? I bought some from Emergency Essentials. They have been so good. I have used them in pot roasts, along with celery, onions and carrots. My family loved those. I have added them to spaghetti, etc. I need to think about getting more before autumn comes around.Yum.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  12:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, the only dried mushrooms I have eaten are the ones I dry. I have thought about ordering a package of one or two of the mushrooms I can't find locally. Don't you think most dried foods are freeze dried. I've seen TV ads for a home freeze dryer. I'm waiting to see what kind of reviews it gets and hopefully the price to come down. If it works as good as they clime than with the freeze dryer and a bag sealer I could put up food with a longer shelve life for emergencies. Now I try not to keep my dried food longer than six months.

Edited by - YellowRose on Apr 19 2017 12:39:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  12:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freeze dried foods have no moisture left in them. Our neighbors have a freeze dryer. Wow! If only I had the money for one. They have come down in price some, but not enough. The cycle can be long...depending on what you are freeze drying.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  1:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cycle on my dehydrator can run a day - night - and part of the next day when I am drying onions. They have so much moisture. I sure do like dried 1015 Texas Sweet Onions.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  1:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had no clue you could even buy a home freeze drier!!!! Too rich for my blood, I'm sure, but I do enjoy dehydrating my food. I have bought dried mushrooms in the past, but have never thought to dehydrate them myself... I need to get better at shopping sales for "extras" to dehydrate and freeze! With our family being so large, I generally think to buy in bulk... but if I buy a little at a time, that would add up too!

Sara - when you dehydrate onions, does the smell permeate the air? I've debated trying it, but am not sure I could handle it right now!!! I actually have a couple big chunks of lard that I need to render down, but am terribly worried about the smell, lol. I'm thinking maybe when it warms up more and I can open my windows... I don't particularly care for the smell of bacon cooking, so I can only imagine how potent lard would be!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  2:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon I don't mind the smell of drying onions or garlic. Yes, the smell goes all over my house with the help of A/C & Heating. I have heard of people moving their dehydrator to a sheltered place outside to dry them. If it did bother me I would just sling the old vinegar rag in each room. Guess I ought to do that for visitors.

I try to buy all the foods I dehydrate on sale or marked down. I haven't paid full price for zucchini or yellow squash in months. I really like it when I get the pre sliced squash and all I have to do is give it a rinse - dry - and dehydrate. Prepped foods are expensive so I only buy it on sale or marked down.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  5:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a dehydrator and need to get it ready to do something other than peppers, and tomatoes and fruit roll ups.
Our neighbors bought their freeze dryer when they first came out. She has given me goulash, Apple's, strawberries, zucchini, marshmallows and okra to try. The okra was not very good. I liked the taste of the zucchini but it left a slimy feeling in my mouth. Julie ate that. I love, love, love the apples. Dehydrated apples are leathery but freeze dried they are crisp and crunchy and addictive. Lots of water needed to help them through your system. Marshmallows grow. They are little round balls of air.
Their first unit quit on them, after about eighteen months. They bought another and sent that one to be fixed. The company said the first one got too hot out in the well house. So they put in a window unit.
Just like dehydrator they are not silent. Mine nearly drives me crazy, and it is a good one.
They run theirs almost non stop, and seal it in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers or vacuum seal in canning jars. He is in prepping mode. She does most of the labor, slicing, and cooking for the device.

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 19 2017 5:33:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  05:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I'm trying my hand at making a creamy cheese from my 660 Curries cookbook. Two ingredients: 2 qts half-and-half and a 1/4 white vinegar. Will let you know how it turns out.

Also making a rhubarb sauce from An Irish Country Cookbook.

I bought the rhubarb thinking I would do a rhubarb and strawberry preserve until I read the recipe which called for 6 cups of sugar. Years ago I would not have blink at that much sugar but these days it just way too much for me. The sauce recipe calls for 2 Tbsp of brown sugar that's more to mine liking so that's what I am doing. Guess I'll just eat the strawberries.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  07:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, thanks for the reply. I have a dehydrator and never thought of using it on onions. I mainly do apples and tomatoes. How do you use your dehydrated yellow squash? We dehydrated yellow squash and zucchini one year and I didn't like the texture once I cooked them. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Do share your secret!

Marilyn, are apples are crisps ... it depends on the time we allow them to dehydrate. Oh course they are probably not as crisp as using the freeze dry method.

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Apr 21 2017 08:31:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  07:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole I mostly use dried zucchini and yellow squash in soups. I have put them in beans. They hold up well for long time cooking.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  07:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole - whenever we dehydrated squash and zucchini, I always used them in casseroles due to the texture... such as a breakfast casserole.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  07:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sara & Shannon! That would explain it .... I cooked them the same way I would fresh ones, with olive oil and spices.

Now I'm wondering if I should dehydrate shredded zucchinis for when I use as muffins? Humm ... I could even partially dehydrate them .... they are so watery when I freeze them.

Carole

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  07:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dehydrated zucchini works wonderful in muffins and breads when I've used them, though I have had to either rehydrate them a little or add a little extra moisture so that the bread is not too dry.

Sara - looks like we were posting at the same time :) My children despise squash in soups :( Though honestly they aren't crazy about squash and zucchini generally speaking anyways. They were excited to learn I'm allergic to them, hahahaha.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dry carrots to use in muffins. Don't like them in anything else because they are too sweet for me when dried. I re-hydrate them in a little water before adding to muffin mix.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  08:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I had never thought of drying carrots. Do you dry them because you do not use them often and it is a way for you to preserve them? I'm just wondering because carrots are always in abundance in the super market.

Not much is going on in my kitchen. I'm taking another craftsy class on bread baking using sprouted grains. It is so fascinating. I'm slowly accumulating the equipment I need to make artisan bread, like a baking stone! I didn't have one and decided it was high time I did! I cannot wait for it to arrive. I bought it from King Arthur. I could have gotten one less costly but I wanted to make sure it was made in the USA and not in China. I want something natural, you know without added chemicals etc ....

I've really been enjoying the bread baking classes I've taken, now I just need to take the time to use what I learned in the kitchen. Truth be known,I love bread and butter so I'm staying away from baking bread because I'll probably eat the whole loaf! lol

Catch you later!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  08:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, for me dried carrots are too sweet for savory dishes so I use them in muffins. I roast carrots several times a week - great for a vegetarian supper or in soups.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  05:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I roasted all the beets from the Farmer's Market and half the carrots (ate one of each). Today I hope to pickle and can them. Will add rosemary to the beets and thyme in the carrots. Whole woody herbs will hold up to canning and look pretty in jars while leafy herbs will not. You can flavor with the leafy herbs like basil but remove before canning. Will put them up in 1/2 pint jars.

Will put rest of the carrots through the food processor and dry them for All-Bran muffins.

Edited by - YellowRose on May 08 2017 05:06:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  08:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds good Sara, I love pickled beats.
Have a good day!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  08:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Darlene, I just came in from the Yellow Rose Cottage and almost ready to can the beets and the carrots are ready to go. Starting to heat up so I need to be done before noon.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  08:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The canning went well yesterday. 3 1/2 pints each of pickled beets and pickled carrots. All sealed and must say they are pretty.

Today I started a small batch of purple cabbage sauerkraut. Sure is pretty - hope it makes as good as it looks.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  11:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh, Sara, I bet your beets and carrots do make for a beautiful finished product! My Mom always said that she loved to see the jars lined up on her pantry shelf with the various colors and contents. Their beauty make all the work worth the effort before you even opened the jar to enjoy the contents.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page