Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  4:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds yummy, Winnie! The floor is fixed and dishwasher is in. I don't really know how much it will get used until the family gets together.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  8:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been wanting to make Tamales so I bought a nice lean beef roast. I put it in the oven to roast and then shred for beef tamales. It never made it in to tamales. My husband took one look at it and said how good it looked and smelled. His next words were "Do you need all of it for tamales?" We had it with baked potatoes and brussel sprouts. Lol. Guess I'll try again the next time we get groceries. It did turn exceptionally good. Even my daughter who isn't a fan of beef said it was really good.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  8:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We often change meal ideas in mid stream, Brenda. They are the best. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2018 :  04:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Homemade tamales are the best. Brenda I hope you get to make some. I have a recipe for making them in a muffin tin. I made them once that way and should do it again.

Winnie your fruit cake sounds yummy.

Yesterday's canning did not go well. It was in high 30s when I started in the Yellow Rose Cottage and all went according to plan until I tried to lock the pressure canner lid in place - it would not lock - I tried for almost an hour. Y'all would have been proud of me I didn't lose my cool. Finally gave up and took the jars of beans into my kitchen and finished cooking them on top of the stove and then froze them in single servings.

Talked with my canning expert sister and we decided the cold effected either the metal or hard plastic. Went back out in a couple of hours after it had warmed up. The canner is by the south facing window so the sun had warmed it some. Tried locking the lid and it slid right into the groove as it has always done. I'm not a scientist so I don't know for sure what happened but from now on when it's in the 30s I won't can until it warms up in the afternoon.

The snow cap beans are delicious so I will buy them again. I have beef broth ready to can but will do it tomorrow. Yesterday wore me out so I'm taking it easy today. There's an old expression "I'm so tired my tire is tired." That's how I feel today.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2018 :  8:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, it does sound like the temperature did affect your canner. Glad the problem was solved.

The last of my roast went into vegetable beef soup today. My DH loves soups. So do I. It means I can take time off from cooking the next day since I make enough for more than one meal. Especially nice when the next day is going to be a busy one or I will be running errands.

Another roast for sure this week for Tamales this time. Lol

I purchased fruit cake ingredients recently. Thanks for reminding me Winnie. I had forgotten until I read your post. Maybe this week fruitcake will get baked.

I see some of you do dishes by hand. So do I. I have never lived anywhere that had a dish washer. It gives me time for thinking and watching the changing scenes out of the kitchen window. My kitchen is so small one wouldn't fit in there anyway. I'd have to give up precious cupboard space.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  04:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brenda. It's 40 now so will wait till noon and it should be 50 to can beef broth.

Soup with left over roast is one of my favorites.

I have two stalks of celery I bought when on sale so I'm thinking about canning one stalk with red onions, carrots, and red bell pepper. There are days I want to make a small pot of soup but not up to all the prepping of vegetables so a jar of vegetables would be handy.

The other stalk I will dry.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  10:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda, it is never too late to make fruitcake!! I could enjoy it year round, I think.

Sara, I like that old expression about being tired! It does aptly describe that bone weary tired feeling that happens some times.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  12:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canning went without a hitch. Secret to canning in the cottage in cold weather is to try to lock the lid before I begin.

I'm not cooking today so I was glad when my sister brought over a serving of lentils. I guess I should put lentils on my canning to do list. Don't want more than one serving at a time so I could do 1/2 pints. Home canning is custom canning. lol

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  9:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara I admire your canning of food for one. Custom canning is the perfect title.

I'm with you Winnie. Fruitcake year round that's a thought. I'm making mine with organic dried fruits instead of the usual fruits available at the Holidays. I'm using dried cranberries, mango, figs, dates, and cherries. Along with almonds, pecans, and walnuts. It will cut down on the sugar.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2018 :  02:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda,
That fruit cake sounds good. I always liked my aunts recipe. She used an applesauce cake recipe and tweaked it a bit when adding the fruit. It was so good. Hope I can get her recipe sometime.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2018 :  4:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent Sunday afternoon in the kitchen, cooking as I listened to music! I tried a recipe from Oprah Winfrey's cookbook - Food, Health, and Happiness: 115 On-Point Recipes for Great Meals and a Better Life - Lots of wonderful recipes, so many I want to try!

I made the Kale and Farro Soup.

I apologize for the poor picture. I didn't think of taking a photograph in my nice dutch over!

OMG, what a great tasting soup! Pumpkin loved it so much that she took a large mason jar back to school. Farro is an ancient grain with a nutty flavor. This is definitely a keeper!

Looking forward to trying the mushroom soup next!

Catch you all later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 15 2018 4:05:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2018 :  4:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole the soup looks delish. Kale is one of my favorite greens for soups.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2018 :  04:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm been up since four and have a pot of soup on the stove. It's 17 so soup for breakfast will be good. I started the soup with a pint of my home canned chicken taco soup and added qt of home canned chicken broth; 1/2 pint leftover home canned hambone broth; can of Ranch Style beans; 2 carrots; 1 gold potato; garlic; celery and celery leaves; dried kale; store can of tomatoes w/chilies; fresh bay leaf from my wee tree; and dried herbs from my garden.

The bay tree was one of the best things I added to my herb garden even if I have to winter it over in the laundry room. Will have to pot up to a larger pot in the spring.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2018 :  12:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chicken thighs were on sale for 79 cents a lb so I'm making chicken broth to can. will make 2 batches. I like broth made with thighs and Annie likes the meat which will feed her for a week along with her dry food.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  09:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning I made my annual batch of orange marmalade. I always use MaryJane's ChillOver powder and this batch seemed a bit watery so I hope I added enough pectin to tighten it up. Tomorrow will be the best time to see what is the final result. I also had a small amount that I put in the fridge to test how it does. I hope I didn't ruin it!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  09:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, here's to your orange marmalade setting up just right. Do you have an orange tree? If you do I think that's neat.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  12:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just took 18 meat balls out of the oven - when they cool I will flash freeze and put in gal freezer zip lock bag. The angus ground beef was on sale and the ground pork in marked down bin so I had to do something with them.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  09:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my update on the orange marmalade....it WORKED!!

I like the flavor from this year's batch as well. Yes, I have a Satsuma orange tree in my front yard and my neighbor's KumKwat tree hangs over into my yard. The neighbor does not eat the KumKwats so I am free to harvest on my side. This year, I added about a cup of them sliced up to the oranges.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  10:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winne, that marmalade looks wonderful! I hope it sets up well for you. Kumquats are one of the things I miss about living in Florida.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  10:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, What a treat to have oranges and Kumquats for the picking. I also like your mixture of jars. I like having a choice of sizes when it comes to jams and jellies.

I finished canning the chicken broth this morning by 9 o'clock. Yield 4 pints.

A thought on labels: I label everything I can because some of it looks alike. Example dried beans look the same except for type of bean or whether I add fat or not; or herbs. I label the jar so I can see at a glance what is on the shelves and the date. Labels are pretty - I use address labels and print in color but they can be a chore to clean off. I have found if I put the labels on the raised lettering water gets under the labels and they come off easier. Not perfect but better.

For my drying and fermenting I use Ball's dissolvable labels. If they came in printable sheets I would use those for canning jars.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  2:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I don't can as much as you do, Sara, I also label everything I make and date it as well so I can keep track of what and when is in my little jelly cabinet. I love that tip about Ball dissolvable labels too. I am going to look into that because they really stick on and then you have the problem of the glue still there after the paper is gone.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  10:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last Friday I made a vichyssoise soup (leep & Potato) for a luncheon on Saturday. The neighbours whose house burned were going in to salvage everything they could. I made lunch for a crew of seven (7). The table looked beautiful, if I do say so myself; used my best dishes. I really wanted it to be nice given that they were working in a burned home, sort of a rest for the eyes and soul. They were so grateful!

I also made a baguette (french bread) with a pre-fermented dough - Poolish! It was my first time doing it this way. I didn't time it right so the bread was not ready for the luncheon but I did get to enjoy it for dinner. I used my new toy (bread proofer) and it works wonderfully.

This was my poolish - looks beautiful! Nice bubbles!

I wasn't impressed with my shaping, but I imagine with practice it would/should get better. I did have a nice hard crust (a new steaming technique I had learned)

Luckily the bad shaping did not affect the taste of the bread. LOL

Saturday was a full day spent in the kitchen. I also make eggplant Parmesan with fresh pasta.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 22 2018 11:22:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  1:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole potato and leek soup is one of my favorites. Your bread is beautiful. Good for you for setting a pretty table. Life needs balance and when it seems the ugliest a little beauty is needed to lift and ease the soul.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2018 :  06:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making vegetable broth this morning in slow cooker with fresh and dried vegetables; fresh bay leaf. Pressure can later today.

Also drying 2 banana peels to grind into powder to put around roses for potassium.

Got to use up these feel good and warmer days out in the Yellow Rose Cottage.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2018 :  06:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, your soups are looking delicious!! Nothing better in cold weather than a hearty bowl of soup to warm your bones and put a smile on your face. I've got ingredients together to make white chili tonight since we are back to colder days for the rest of the week.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page