Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2018 :  11:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister found a pkg of southern slaw in marked-down bin - diced cabbage and carrots. She split the bag with me which I have in the slow cooker for start of veg broth. Added dried onions, fresh celery, dried mixed veg, spring water, 1 can tomato sauce and fresh bay leaf.

Hope to can it in the morning.

Five different heirloom dried beans delivered today so will be canning dried beans in the coming days and weeks.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth

Edited by - YellowRose on Jan 26 2018 12:05:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  05:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, your Yellow Rose Cottage always has something delicious going on inside! I am amazed at all the food saving and money saving tools you use on a regular basis! No wonder Annie gets so excited when you put your apron on!!! Things must smell so wonderful on top of her being able to get outside. Your cottage should have a sign over the stove. That says Official Farmgirl Kitchen !

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  06:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I'll have to work on that sign. Woke at 5a.m. and starting canning another batch of veg broth - 3 28oz jars in pressure canner now. Another batch of 4 pints of veg broth for later today.

Thanks for the kind words about my frugal shopping. I'm blessed to shop at a store that does mark-downs on food that is in date. Wednesday when I was in there the girl putting out the marked-down meat had a cart full of meat that she said would have to be thrown away because it was out of date and they could not sell or give it away. I find that very sad and such a waste if the meat was still good. We all from time to time have meat in our fridge that is out of date and we do the sniff test to see if we can still use it.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  10:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, you are an inspiration to me also! All of us! Knowing that you live with MS makes it all the more amazing! You are truly a Farmgirl example to follow!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  11:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your sweet words Connie.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  10:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found 3 pkg ox-tails in marked-down bin so will be canning beef broth in the coming days

Celery & green onion on sale for 79cent a bunch
Yellow onions also on sale and I have carrots so I hope to can a soup mix of celery, green onions, carrots, and yellow onions. Put it up in pints so I can make a small pot of soup. Enough for two meals would be nice.

Bought kale to dry.

I like having my kitchen and Yellow Rose Cottage busy.

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  11:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara it's really nice to hear about all you do. You keep the rest of us encouraged. Your food always sounds yummy! Off to make vegetable soup for dinner along with strawberry shortcake. Won't be long and strawberry season will be back.

Have a great rest of the day everyone.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2018 :  11:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda it's been years since I had strawberry shortcake - may have to do it at least once this year.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2018 :  11:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pressured canned 4 qts veg-mix for soup - carrots, snow peas, onions & green onions, and celery. It was 38 this morning with wind chill of 32. I have figured out what to do so I can lock lid in cold weather.

No heat in cottage so I layered up with maxi-dress; fleece maxi-dress; long fleece robe; and topped off with Linda's canning apron. I must have looked like a fleece dumpling but I was warm. I remember going into the Yellow Rose Cottage and thinking of Tasha Tudor and all her layers. Even though I don't have a red flannel petticoat like hers I think she would approve of my garb. By next winter I may find a red flannel petticoat to wear just on canning days. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  1:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Farmgirls, we are getting our Florida strawberries from the Plant City area now and they are good! This next week is supposed to be about 70 or higher and that should bring out lots more berries too. Plus, a few of the azalea blooms in the old bush by our bedroom are blooming. If the weather really does stay warm all next week, we are going to see many more flowers and trees start to show their spring flowers. I noticed today that the Japanese Magnolias are in full bloom and are just gorgeous.

As for my kitchen, we are having some old friends come and stay later in the week through the weekend. He is in renal failure so I have been researching renal diets and menus so that I can plan healthy meals 3 times a day. There are many restrictions that we are not used to so it has been a challenge to come up with what to do. I have my grocery list almost ready.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  4:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our strawberry shortcake is not the usual. We skip the whipped cream and leave out most of the sugar. We use organic strawberries. They are sweeter tasting to us. I added sliced bananas to mine. Turned out to be very good. Sometimes I add blueberries or raspberries too. My husband likes milk on his. So does my daughter.

Sara glad you were able to keep warm while canning. Yes, you should get a red flannel petticoat lol. Love Tasha Tudor. She's been inspiring to me.

Carole that bread you made looks delicious. I just got some bread recipes from my daughter through Facebook. Hope to try them soon. They are all baked in cast iron skillets.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2018 :  08:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 pints hambone bouillon and 2 pints ox-tail bouillon.

Cooked both for over 18 hours in slow cooker. The hambone bouillon will make good bean soup and the ox-tail bouillon will have many uses.

Rain is coming so glad I beat the rain. Running back and forth to the Yellow Rose Cottage in the rain is not fun. Okay, I don't actually run but you get the idea.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  07:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have 4 pints of Caballero heirloom beans from Peru in pressure canner. It's a round white bean with a creamy texture.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  04:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's foggy with drizzling rain this morning and 50 degrees but I got my heart set on canning split pea soup so Annie and I have been out in the fog and rain back and forth to the Yellow Rose Cottage. Electric canner is heating up for hot jars and boiling water for pressure canner. Canning supplies laid out and ready. Split peas on stove cooking - onions, carrots, smoked pork chops chopped, seasoning measured out - should be canning in an hour.

Must say I wouldn't be canning before daylight if Annie wasn't with me. There's something comforting about a protective dog when it's dark outside.

Edited to add: Soup turned out delish - Annie and I had leftovers from canning for breakfast. It was her treat for not barking while I was canning and mine for braving the fog and mist to get it done. lol

Edited by - YellowRose on Feb 10 2018 05:53:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  07:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drying crusty rolls in oven for crotons / later can be made into bread crumbs.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  5:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara , it all sounds so Yummy!! I'm not doing much. I cook for church every other Wednesday night. We feed a group of children from poor neighborhoods. I prep. as much as I can in my kitchen on Tuesdays. then I finish up at the church kitchen. I made my Granny's Cheesebuger Mac. the kids loved it. It would have made my Granny Happy to know they got fed. When the Summer heat sets in, I will be doing sandwhiches for my part.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2018 :  08:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, Those are the best strawberries! So sweet. My brother in law usually brings us some strawberries from there as that is where my parents and sister used to live. I won't be getting any this year because he will be going from Florida to Buffalo first. Loved getting them when we lived there. We could get a whole flat for 5 dollars. We do get them from Plant City in our grocers but not as well priced of course.

Sara, Your split pea sounds delicious! I love any kind of soup that uses beans, peas or anything else along those lines.

We had a soup and sandwich get together after church last Sunday and I managed to get a recipe for a black and white chili. It was fantastic! The one who made it replaced the white beans with chick peas because she was out of the white but it was so good.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2018 :  07:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Putting some chili on today. Good day for it with the rain coming.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2018 :  07:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, chili sounds good - it's cold and wet here too.

Last week I bought a sack of junior burgers from Braum's and froze them. Have one in the oven now. For supper I think it will be sauté mushrooms and garlic over pasta.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2018 :  08:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mushrooms, garlic and pasta sound good Sara.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2018 :  4:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was 82 here today so I made a sausage/mushroom quiche with some steamed asparagus. Easy to do after raking the Live Oak gazillion leaves that keep falling in the backyard. It is like a blanket almost every day on our back porch!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2018 :  5:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, That sound so good! The temps and the meal! I don't miss all the leaves from the live oaks. But then we have lots of leaves here too!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2018 :  08:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you haven't checked out MJF new chatroom devoted totally to Wild Bread here's the link - http://wildbread.net/

I find it interesting tough I've never started a mother or made sour dough bread. I did order her book and it will come in March. When I do give it a try the chatroom should be a great resource.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  12:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just made this Harvest Stew and OMG it is so good! I've never had such a great vegetable soup. I had to open a bottle of wine and enjoy a glass just to get the taste out of my mouth otherwise I'd still be eating it! ROFLOL

A dear friend of mine came home from Dubai with influenza so she is home bound. I brought her a care package with a jar of the soup, fresh and hot!

You can access the recipe here: https://kripalu.org/resources/kripalu-recipe-warming-winter-soups

It's a keeper alright.

Guess what I'm having for dinner, if there's any left! lol

Catch you all later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  12:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks delicious Carole. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page