Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2018 :  9:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda , I can smell them! LOL!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2018 :  05:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda remember to wear your kitchen gloves when squeezing the grapes - they will stain your hands. I learnt the hard way.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2018 :  08:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning I ordered a package of dried lady cream peas to can off Amazon. Lady cream peas are hard to find so I was happy and surprised to find them while looking for other dried beans. Should get them in a few days so hopefully will be canning them later this week.

Linda, how goes the grape jelly?

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2018 :  8:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The grape jelly is done - finally. This was REALLY a learning experience. With some last minute help from Sara on the phone and Ed in the kitchen. LOL! Let's see how this went -
1. I bought the electric canner on Tuesday
2. I picked the grapes on Tuesday
3. Cooked the grapes on Thursday and put them in the refrigerator
4. Bought the cheesecloth, jars, and canning tools on Thursday evening
TODAY
5. Squeezed the juice out through the cheesecloth with Ed's help (we got 8 cups of juice)
6. Put the jars in the dishwasher to sterilize
7. Turned on the Canner to heat the water
8. Washed the lids and put them in a pan on the NuWave induction burner
9. Cooked the juice with Pectin and LOTS of sugar
10. Made a mess putting the jelly in the jars and adding the lids and rims (with Ed's help)
11. Loaded the canner one jar at a time
12. Took the jars out after cooking time and have them sitting on the stove - waiting for 24 hours to see if all the jars sealed.

WHEW! I think I need some wine!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2018 :  04:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda it was fun to be of some help to you. Great job. Can't wait to see what you can next. And yes there will be another time because once you get a taste of canning you always want just one more bite. Tell Ed I'm proud of him for helping you.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2018 :  06:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Linda!! The next time you can something , it will seem a whole lot easier. Thanks to Sara for being there to walk you through the steps when you needed it most!! Farmgirl expertise is beautiful!! Let us know how the jelly turns out and what you think of the taste on toast.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2018 :  08:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed was a super helper! It was a teamwork effort. And, yes, I will probably can something else - though maybe in the fall when it is cooler. LOL
I know the spoonful I tasted from the bottom of the pan tasted very grape, though quite sweet. I can't believe how much sugar it takes, in fact, I had to send Ed to the store for another bag because I didn't have enough on hand. LOL! As of this morning, all lids popped down, so hopefully all sealed properly. I will check tonight.
A friend is going to pick some more grapes today, if the birds haven't devoured them all. Ed is going to check and give her a call if there are some to pick.

Thank you to all who gave suggestions and helpful hints.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2018 :  09:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, Great they all popped. Love the sound of popping lids.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2018 :  4:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heat wave is on - 101 right now at 6:30 p.m. and by Monday 109 so I am shutting down my Yellow Rose Cottage until it's over. TXU my power supplier is asking us to conserve energy and besides the cottage is 80 degrees in the mornings now - too hot to can.

So longing and dreaming for fall and then the first blue norther to blow out of Ok across the Red River into Paris, TX.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2018 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara! Too hot! I love reading about all your adventures in the kitchen!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2018 :  4:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww memories of popping lids.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2018 :  4:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Connie.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  06:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The high temps we are expecting are NOT welcome here. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  11:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well my plan not to can until cooler weather is on hold for the next several days. Before I have written about my neighbor who gets food from Paris Food Pantry and shares with me. Today she brought me 16 bunches of beets with greens. That's right 16 bunches so I will be canning pickle beets. Plan to prep today for all batches and fill up the electric water bath canner. Will take a day off to rest then start canning by 3:00 or 4:00a.m. Sunday morning while the Yellow Rose Cottage is still somewhat cool. After I prep I will have some idea of how many batches. My sister and I were talking about it being a blessing to get them - it is but it'll take a little planning to be able to do it in this heat.

She also gave me two full grocery bags of new white potatoes. Hope my sisters will take some. May have to can a batch or two of them too but at least they can wait a little bit.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  4:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Second large pan of beets are roasting in oven.

Have enough beets for 12 pints which is 3 batches. I'll never last canning for three days in this heat so I will be canning 7 24oz jars and eating what's left. Will have it over and done with at one time. Rather have pints but pint and half jars will be okay.

I now have a deeper appreciation and respect for all those women who canned in the heat of our Texas summers without A/C. And they did it after drawing water from a well or pump and then canning on a wood stove or outside over an open fire.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  5:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried an easier cake this time! No smoking up my kitchen ! It was so yummy! sooo easy! Honey Bun cake! Recipe on face Book easy recipe if anyone wants it. I can post it here.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  6:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my canning could have been better, I guess. All jars sealed, but the jelly seems a bit more liquid than I thought it ould be. I haven;t opened a jar yet, but another friend who has canned looked at it and said that sometimes that happens. It will at least be a good sauce for ice cream if not jelly. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2018 :  07:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda they still may set up. I have opened a jar of un-set jelly as I wanted it and boiled it down in a small pan to the consistency I wanted.

Up-date on canning beets. It ain't going to happen because it's just too blankly-blankly hot even early in the morning for me. So I am going to make the pickled beets today in my kitchen and put the jars in fridge. Should be good for a month or two. Will only have one or two jars left after I share with sisters and friends.

Canning is one more reason I am longing and dreaming of fall.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2018 :  10:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LInda, I had the same problem with my first batch of wild plum jelly. Sometimes, the recipe doesn't work and it is disappointing after so much work. Please don't get discouraged. Next time make sure your measurements of jelly mixture to sugar and pectin are just as the instructions say. I think sometimes my measurements are not as precise and that always gets me into trouble.

Sara, I hear you!! Your recent heat wave has been truly miserable!! We are literally drowning and you all are burning up. It is the second time it has been pouring down rain with thunder and lightening today. It has been a crazy Summer! I hope your beets turn out to be successful with your Plan B. They are so delicious and good for you that I guess eating a lot of them for a few weeks will be a good thing. I hope this week brings a much needed change in the weather for you. We are on schedule for another week of heaving rains.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2018 :  10:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, I created a faux apple pie out of a salt dough ornament recipe with added cinnamon and a clove spices. My goal was to have a something to keep as a little decoration on my old stove. Here is how it turned out. Kinda cute, I think. With the little openings between the top crust lattice, I think I can put some potpourri inside that I can add essential oils to and it will smell really good. Here is my experiment. Does it look real to you or like salt dough? I also used whole wheat flour because I thought the white flour would not look very real. One online article also said to put a layer of Mod Podge on it after it baked to give it a shine and take away the rough salt dough look. It is maybe a bit too brown? I also made some apple ornaments from the same dough and I think I am going to paint them and then varnish and see what happens. If they turn out OK, I can hang them on my little tree that I put my other apple ornaments on. We shall see what happens. One problem I have had in the past with salt dough is that in Florida, when you are not using heat or AC, the humidity in the air increases and the ornaments get damp and can even mold a bit. I have tried several times with salt dough Christmas ornaments and they literally fall off the tree when the weight of the damp base pulls out from the string hanger.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2018 :  4:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie! Love it!!looks like one in a magazine!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  04:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, cute pie. Well done.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  06:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Sara and Connie! I didn't have a specific recipe to follow and so I was just guessing what and how to make this look real. I am curious to see how it will hold up when the AC and Heat are not on in the house and the window are open.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2018 :  09:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is a neat pie, Winnie. Great job!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  06:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter planted Seminole pumpkins this year out at her farm and finally one was fully ripe yesterday. They look and taste like a relative to a butternut squash. The meat is dark orange, dense, and quite sweet. As you can see from the first photo, they do have a similar pie pumpkin shape, but the skin is much thinner than that of a true pie pumpkin. The second photo shows how the inside closely resembles a butternut squash. This variety is the only pumpkin that I know of that grows well in our semi tropical climate in this area of the state. I will have to find out if real pumpkins can grow in areas that are closer to the Georgia border because the climate there is slightly different from here.

Yesterday, while it was pouring rain again for the second time that day, I decided to do a fall preview of delicious things to come: bake my favorite pumpkin bread, and enjoy some of last year's pumpkin spice coffee that I had in the freezer.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page