Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  11:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, if you will use your pressure pot, you will love, love, LOVE it. My crock pots stay put away now! When Sara first began talking about hers I just did not understand. Before Christmas in 2016 my husband asked if I wanted one. I said no because I did not understand what he was talking about. Now that I have it, I wonder how I ever cooked without it.
Oh yes five minutes is all the time you need to hard boil eggs in it. Sister #2 of the six sisters has a you tube site where she has recipes and tips for using her Insta pot. Basically they are all alike. Can you believe I spent over sixty years trying to peel boiled eggs, only to end up giving the dogs a lot of mangled messed up eggs. No more. Yay!!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  12:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me no matter how much I like a kitchen appliance if it's not easy and convenient to use - I won't bother with it. I either leave it out on the counter next to a electrical plug or make room for it in the bottom cabinet under the countertop where I plug it in. Along with my canning stuff I have moved my slow cooker and dehydrator out to the Yellow Rose Cottage so I can leave them set up all the time. Takes a little running back and forth but they are ready to go when I need them.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9199 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9199 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2018 :  07:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love my slow cooker. I have very limited counter space so everything has to be kept in the pantry. I am working on a few more freezer meals today.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2019 :  10:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a Wild mushroom chowder ... a recipe from Yankee Magazine - I didn't use wild mushrooms but used a mixture. I love how it turned out.

The recipe can be found here: https://newengland.com/today/food/soups-stews-chowders/chowders/wild-mushroom-chowder/

Catch you all later.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 24 2019 06:52:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9199 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9199 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2019 :  11:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,
So good to see you here!
This chowder looks delicious and what a great dish for this kind of weather.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2019 :  12:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carole, I printed out the recipe.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2019 :  11:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Julie loves her Insta pot! I am happy that she is using it.
I am making smoothies for myself, my husband, and anyone else who wants one. I have been trying to make some fruit leathers, you know in the dehydrator!
Does anyone o ow the secret to getting the thickness to be consistent??? My dehydrator has square trays.
Oh yes, I also dehydrated some beef for the dogs. I found some 2016 and 2017 stir fry meat three packages. Then I freedoms beef lived for them also. I believe they like the liver best.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  05:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I had thought about drying beef for Annie. How long did it take? How long for the liver and does it smell?

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  06:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I baked a batch of Howdy Neighbor Muffin from my new cookbook Red Truck Bakery (lots of great recipes I want to try) Basically a cranberry & orange muffin ... they are so delish. I had one and brought the rest to work. Gosh, I received lots of compliments. Thankfully, no left over!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 24 2019 06:58:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  08:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, your muffins look delish. Where are you working?

Sara, the stir fry meat is so thin, I really don't know how long exactly. The dehydrator was set for 155° and I set the timer for three hours...But pulled the meat a bit early. The liver took quite a bit longer. They love the liver, even the old Tom cat! I have both in baggies in the refrigerator.
The guy I watched make liver treats for his dogs, said he made RED NECK liver treats, because he dried the meat on the dash of an old truck he rarely uses. First he put the meat on two round trays from an old dehydrator, then he put something under the trays, to catch the drips. He used rabbit livers because each week they process some to eat. Smell, not bad at all just like cooking meat. I had thought about that too. But it is not hot enough to dry it on the dash...and we have too many cloudy days right now. I would say just check on the meat now and then. Since Christmas I've made two batches of jerky for the guys. It needs to be pretty dry...so I bend it and when it cracks, but does not break, it is probably ready. I did not let the dog treats go quite as far as the people jerky.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  1:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole those look yummy! with it being so cold here, I have been baking more to keep the house warmer! Mostly cornbread! Lily June ask for it for lunch several times these past few weeks. I tried a canned red beans and Rice and it was good. I buy this brand (Margaret Holmes, I find them at Walmart) of vegetables, they are really good! for canned. I fried Andouille links then added the Red beans and Rice and simmered it about 40 minutes. Holly and I loved it. Lily June and I did manage to get a batch of Sugar Cookies Done I am so happy she loved the kitchen, her mommy does not! never did! LOL! My friend says the Iron skillet makes everything taste better! I agree! Especially this one was my granny's!

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jan 24 2019 1:47:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  1:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara , I'm the same as you. I have to have things where I can get to them easy. My hands get too stiff moving heavy things up and down from the counters. I put them where they can stay! by a plug in! LOL!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  2:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, that is a perfect meal for a cold winter day!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  2:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of yummy dishes taking shape in Farmgirl kitchens these days!! With some cooler temps here in Florida, I have been making hearty soups more frequently so that there are leftovers for lunches. I was looking through MaryJane's Milkcow Kitchen book and found her scalloped potato recipe that I wanted to make but never did. It has a lot of cheese in it and could double as a hearty meatless dinner by just adding some dark green veggies and salad to balance it out/ Will get the ingredients and give it a whirl soon. I also wondered how it would taste to do 50% sweet potato and 50% white potato. Just to make it look pretty and add another vegetable.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  3:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie that reminds me of myself, age 18, newlywed...who made Mac and cheese for supper with a couple of veggies. Let's just say my meat loving hubby was NOT happy! I told him what my home ec teacher said, but it did not impress hi!m!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  3:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie your red beans and rice with the sausage looks really good. My family would like that.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2019 :  09:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really is a meal to warm the insides!! I am going to make it this Sunday night so Holly can take some to work Monday for lunch, when she drops off Lily June.

Winnie, I have that book, so many recipes I want to master! I love Soups and breads!!!

Marilyn, I just giggled at your newlywed supper, reminded me of mine! Fish Sticks and Corn! LOL! Brought back fun memories of our tiny apartment with the plastic orange chairs, we sat in to eat, at a tiny kitchen counter. We did not have a table and chairs. Even though I cooked from age 10, it was always with my Granny or Aunts! So it took me a few years to not be afraid to use the iron skillet by myself or to heat oil to fry something. My Granny or Aunts always seasoned it and got it ready to use! Isn't that funny I felt so confident knowing they were in the house, but all alone I was afraid. I began to watch Julia Child and the cooking shows on PBS in the middle 70's and learned to do more recipes other than country cooking.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2019 :  4:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such sweet memories Connie. My mother went to work when I was 13, high school freshman. She was very tired at days end, so I quickly began to 'cook ' for my family. We had Emergency Steak, Minestrone dogs and bologna cups filled with mashed potatoes. All were real recipes that we made in home ec at
School. My daddy was such a good sport. Baking was something I loved to do and with five hungry people for supper as well as lunches the next day, I got lots of experience. My hubby was not impressed! He always said, "it does not taste like my grannys". I was very intimidated! I knew I could cook but he had lived with his granny and he wanted me to cook like her. She had a freezer stocked with beef, pork and chicken. Her husband went fishing on Saturdays and almost always caught fish. We could not afford to cook her way. But we did survive. My husband's mom was a horrid cook. She worked and when she got home great granny had supper ready. Julie has taught The girls to cook some things but she is such a control freak, she has never allowed them to prepare the dinner and have it ready when she gets home. I think I that is a shame!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2019 :  4:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's so important to get the kids in the kitchen cooking with you at an early age. We had our 3 grandboys here last week to stay with us a couple of nights. Trying to find something that all 3 will eat is just about impossible! I was not feeling the idea of having to fix 3 separate dinners! We came up with the idea of weiner wraps. I couldn't remember the last time that I had made them and even my husband thought it sounded like a good idea. I got a couple of skeptical looks but I explained that they liked the ingredients separately...they would like them mixed together! So the middle one wanted to help and he made half of them and had a good time helping and was proud to show off his work at dinner...and then ate 2 whole weiner wraps!!! Now he can make something on his own with a little help from his mom!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  03:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And boys need to learn how to cook too!
My husband can't cook. He could scramb!e an egg or cook a burger patty but not follow a recipe. That is women's work.
He tried grilling but he is so hung up on the details, having everything just perfect...let's just say he makes it so much work and needs praise and encouragement and HELP, life is much easier if I cook. Thankfully he has not thought of grilling in several years.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  04:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I never got the hang of grilling either. For supper yesterday I had my home fermented red cabbage sauerkraut over a baked potato. I started the kraut on the 13th so it took 11 days to get it to where I wanted it. I have much better luck making kraut since I got the glass weights and fermenting tops. I make a quart wide mouth jar at a time.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9199 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9199 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  04:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those stories remind me of a one dish meal I cooked after we got married. It was from our little local cookbook they put out back home. I received it as part of a shower gift.
I made "Texas Hash". It had beans and meats and I dont know what all now. But I had put it on the table and JT dished himself up a big plate of it while I was still in the kitchen. By the time I had gotten to the table he had tasted it, picked up his plate and the pot and dumped it in the trash. Suffice to say that was not a good choice. I tasted it while cooking and it was fine. Just apparently not his taste. I did make it known he would never do that again. He never has and I have never made that recipe again. Lol

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 26 2019 04:21:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  09:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn! Bologna Cups!! We had those in school and I cooked them for my Holly for years! I surprised her a few years ago and cooked them for her for her Birthday supper! I sent that recipe in to a Cookbook being published for the MS society and they loved it!Tell me about emergency steak?

Debbie you so right, Lily June loves to cook, already at age 4! My Holly could never stay still long enough to cook, she would start helping me, them wander away from the kitchen outside or to play Barbies! We love weiner wraps, best with homemade biscuit dough, but Pillbury Cressants work good for us too.

Denise! LOL! I think we all can relate to your cooking experience. My Granny was the Cornbread Queen, she made it almost every day in the Winter. My mom was the biscuit maker in the family, she showed me how and when I baked my first Biscuit, it was so hard I rolled it down the Driveway, across the street to my mom's house to show her how I messed up! LOL! Her next door neighbor said, What in the world are you rolling? I said, "A Biscuit! my first one! not worth eating!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  10:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Connie! That is so funny!
I remember making these muffins once at my grandma's. We had a family dinner with some family friends coming and I really wanted to impress their grandson who was my age ;). We were sitting at the "kids table" and our friend said to my brother that my muffins were really good! That they should take some hunting with them. Boy, I was so tickled! And then he dropped the bomb and said, 'yeah, we could just throw them at the rattlesnakes instead of shooting them"....ugh!
When Brad and I got married, I could bake anything....cooking, not so much! I thought if I was running short on time, I could just cook whatever it was on HIGH. I learned after awhile that didn't work. To this day, if Brad smells something burnt, it reminds him of several batches of stew that I let get away from me.
I finally got confident in the kitchen after awhile.
I also agree that BOYS need to know how to cook just as much as girls! I say if you eat, you need to know how to feed yourself. My father in law was so adamant that cooking was "woman's work". He wouldn't even make himself a sandwich for a long time. I'm hoping that my grandboys grow up with a different mindset.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2019 :  12:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise that story of your Texas Hash was funny. My husband let me know pretty quickly that he did not like caseroles...because he did not know what people put in them. He wants meat, preferably fried. In fact he recently said that the only chicken is fried chicken! So night before last I made chicken and dumplings. He will usually eat them.
Connie, how did you make bologna cups? Ours were just a scoop of mashed potatoes on a piece of bologna with the casing still on it. When you broiled them the bologna cupped around the potatoes. You had to remove the casing before eating your delicacy. They were actually pretty good.
The emergency steak was ground beef mixed with oatmeal, etc. Seems like you soaked the oats in some milk for some minutes before mixing it with the eggs ECT. We just patted it into an oval shape about an inch or so thick, and broiled it. The Minestrone dogs were ground beef, minestrone soup etc. Spooned on hot dog buns with grated cheese topping. Then you broiled them quickly. I liked them.
Mother taught me to make something else that my husband hates. Wieners cut in quarters, onion chopped, tomato soup and egg noodles cooked together in a skillet. We used a lot of Worcestershire sauce in our kitchen. She also made chop seuy. We kids would tear the crusts from our bread and make fences around the gravy. She used pork steaks to make it...because they were cheap. On Saturday mornings she often cooked a pot of corn and potato soup with milk and bacon. I still love to eat it but rarely make it because I'm the only one who likes it.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 26 2019 12:04:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page