Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  05:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your soups sounds good Sara

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  06:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise it was good. I had it for breakfast. I have never liked breakfast food in the mornings - I prefer it for lunch or supper so my breakfasts are lunch and supper foods.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  06:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a big fan of soups and love them anytime of day.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  06:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to try making the Black Eyed Peas with Ham Hocks from my Texas Slow Cooker book.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  07:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a post of Valentine's Day making brownies from MaryJane's package mixes for outdoors. The recipe was on the back of the package and boy were they moist and delicious!

Quick, easy, and oh so satisfying. The package made up 4 little ramekin size servings.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  07:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those sure do look good. I made brownies this morning as they are one of JT's favorites. So he took a warm brownie to work with him.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  7:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking yummy. It was so cold here today, I made a pot of stew in my Insta pot, then I baked some cornbread. It was good on a cold winter night. Tomorrow the guys will have stew with their sandwiches at lunch.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2019 :  1:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made my annual batch of marmalade yesterday. I use ChillOver powder and it turned out delicious. Unfortunately, I am the only one who loves marmalade, so I never make lots of jars.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2019 :  1:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, that is something I love but have never tried my hand at it. I too would be the only one here eating it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2019 :  7:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I learned to love marmalade in the dining car on the train to California...when I was 13! Mother wanted us to have one dining car meal. The porter came through announcing each meal. That morning he called out "Breakfast is served in the diner."It was our only meal in the dining car...one I will never forget. White tablecloths and large white napkins, heavy fancy dishes and silverware, little creamers filled with cream for coffee( or for kids to pour into a spoon and taste). I remember that I chose a muffin with marmalade. It was a huge muffin! Mother borrowed a Scotch Cooler to keep our lunch meat and cheese and milk cold, so we had lived on sandwiches, up until that breakfast.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 21 2019 7:26:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2019 :  03:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie your marmalade is beautiful. Little mason jars filled with goodness is one of my favorite things.

Marilyn loved your story about your train ride.

Since Wed when my groceries were delivered I have been busy cooking and freezing single portions.

Three skinless boneless chicken breast made four servings of chicken & mushroom soup - four servings breaded. I now have the cooked chicken for all kinds of meals. Before I cooked the breasts I cut them in half lengthwise and pounded them.

Two butterfly porkchops made eight servings. Four with mushroom soup and four breaded. I sliced and pounded them too.

One rump roast cooked studded with garlic and rosemary on top. Will slice in servings this morning and freeze.

I also prepped Swiss chard and parsley. Will cook the chard today. Used some of the parsley yesterday with roasted onions, potatoes, and carrots.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2019 :  09:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been watching homesteading you tube videos again. I found a couple who are young with four little boys. They fixed taco baked potatoes. Baked potato filled with ground beef seasoned with (gluten free) taco seasoning, and topped it off with lettuce, tomatoes, and green onion. They are doing the Whole 30 diet so they did not add cheese.They also added some avocado slices. I would
lemon pepper mine...and add some cilantro to my lettuce. She did make an avocado dressing to pour over. Avocado, cilantro, mayo and coconut milk. I would add some lemon juice, I think.Yum.

For breakfast one day they put lettuce and spinach on each plate. Cut Italian sausages down the middle, cooked them then fried two eggs for each person. The eggs went on top of the greens sausage and avocado slices on the side.

Another morning he cubed two left over baked potatoes. He browned them with a bit of minced garlic in a bit of avocado oil. Removed potatoes and added bacon to the hot skillet, when it was cooked he chopped it up, and put it back in the skillet with the cubed potatoes and some fresh spinich. Then he poured the beaten eggs over it all and stirred and cooked them until they were ready to eat.

She also cooked a BIG roast in her Insta pot with 1/4 cup vinegar and 3/4 cup of water salt, pepper and thyme. While that was cooking for 90 minutes, she roasted a pan of little red potatoes,(skins on, just washed) Brussels sprouts (cleaned and cut I half)and butternut squash (peeled and cut into bite sized pieces). Olive oil was drizzled over, salt and pepper added. All tossed, then roasted.

He said the boys eat what they cook. No short order cooking. They eat together as a family.
Something I've noticed about these young families is they cook a lot of one pot meals and the kids are hungry and eat whatever is prepared. good food, lots of eggs and veggies. That was the way I was raised. Problem: my husband, was not raised like that. His grandmother cooked meat. Potatoes were usually mashed with lots of butter and whole milk.( Do y'all remember when all milk was WHOLE???) Then she would cook four or five veggies, a salad or slaw, bread and a big chocolate cake or cobbler. So imagine my husband's shock when he had meat, potatoes and one veggie and salad. We were newly married and money does not grow on trees.

These young dads enjoy cooking! They seem to love and care for their families and their animals. They are worker bees and don't divide the work, like my hubby still does. They cook, wash dises, etc. I'm glad they don't still say that is 'womans work!'

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 22 2019 09:30:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  1:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whole chickens on sale today so I ordered one with my groceries. I can count on one hand with a thumb and maybe a finger left over the times I have ever cut up a chicken. It wasn't pretty but I got it done. Cooked the breast in the oven with Heinz Bar-B-Q sauce. All other pieces and extra skin is still in slow cooker for broth. The meat goes to Annie. Should last her a week.

Had a serving of the breast for lunch; a serving for tomorrow's lunch; and froze the rest in single servings. Some with extra sauce.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  3:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I remember when I was 14, my mother bought her chickens from a farmer, because my daddy read that they were giving grocery store chickens harmones. He would not have us eating that! Mother decided I needed to learn to cut up a chicken the way she did. Problem...back in the 1950s they had the guts in there!!! Gross!!! I fussed but I learned to cut it up. It served me well because back then they did not sell parts of chickens, but I have never enjoyed pulling those innards out. I have never killed a chicken because I saw my mother and her sisters do that. Then I smelled that horrid smell when they burned or singed the feathers off the wings and legs!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 27 2019 3:34:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
Growing up on a chicken farm, we did butcher our own. I remembering the plucking and the singeing. Also the dressing of them. I never learned how to do it but would watch my mother and aunts do it. Then she would cut them up to freeze. Some were left whole to roast. It was always roast chicken or chicken and dumplings on Sunday. Always chicken on Sunday.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 27 2019 4:53:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  10:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter in law Julie used to help her sister butcher chickens and put them in the freezer. I remember seeing one that she was about to roast in the oven...It had no skin on it and was a rosey color. It did not look like a hen from the grocery, but tasted really good when cooked.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 27 2019 10:08:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2019 :  4:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight I made a chicken pot pie with left overs from the roast chicken two days ago. Pot Pie is one of my favorite comfort foods and I love making it and enjoying left overs!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2019 :  9:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love chicken pot pie. Yum!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  11:03:57 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today I am making Chickpea Cookies and Pork and Beans Bread. How about that? The Pork and Beans bread is VERY good - I've made it more than once. Today I am using the Dr. Pepper beans in it so will see how it turns out.

I found 2 recipes on line that I may try; today I am making the gluten free chickpeas cookies that do not have peanut butter in them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  11:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My mother told me that her father used to kill chickens and when he cut off their heads they ran around the yard with noo heads. YUCK!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  11:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what I saw when my mother and her sisters killed several for Sunday dinner at grandmas. I don't do that!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  1:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Linda. My mom used to tell us kids we were running around like a bunch of chickens with their heads chopped off. We knew what that meant because one of our jobs besides plucking was going to get the chickens once they stopped running. Come on you farm girls buck up! LOL.
It was just part of farm life for us. We would laugh at them because it seemed funny to see them running while they had no head to see where they were going. Of course that was when we were kids. I don't butcher my girls. We let them die of old age now.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  2:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We stood up on the back porch and watched that craziness that day. Then Aunt Jo picked them up and pinned them to the clothes line, upside down. Today I understand why she did that but when I was a kid...no way. The only thing I have found that smells as bad as singed feathers, was when I drilled through deer antlers to make Curtain rod holders for my back bedroom.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  4:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why did she put them on the clothes line Marilyn?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  10:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To let the blood drain away.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page