Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2019 :  4:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, that is the cook book I learned to cook with. Then some one gave me a Better Homes and Gardens cook book as a wedding gift. I doubted I would ever be able to cook without Betty! But now I rarely use a cook book.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 13 2019 :  08:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did away with a small flowerbed in my frontyard, Moved one Mexican marigold "Texas Tarragon" to raised bed. The other one I cut down this morning. Half of the leaves are for tarragon vinegar and the other half is in dehydrator.

I'm making this batch of tarragon vinegar with apple cider vinegar; garlic; and pink peppercorns.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 13 2019 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are busy this morning, Sara. You taught me something new. I had no idea that tarragon marigolds existed.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 13 2019 :  08:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn sometimes you find them at nurseries labeled Texas tarragon but mostly it's Mexican marigold. The yellow gold flowers are edible too but for some reason mine have never bloomed.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 13 2019 :  8:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will stop and look next time I see marigolds.
We have had a riot of colorful flowers this year! Many shades of yellow with reds, purples, blues and pinks mixed in, I have never in my life seen such a beautiful spring time.
I've even wondered if God is trying to show us what the garden of Eden was like.
After lunch I had a nap, then I washed eggs, etc. When I went out doors about 6pm there was a tree limb on the walkway to the back door. When I moved it, it broke in half, so it was rotten. I love being surrounded by trees, but when they shed it can be frightening.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 13 2019 8:54:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 14 2019 :  03:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, Mexican marigold doesn't look like marigolds. It's a small bush 1' - 2' with little yellow flowers. Usually found with the herbs. Rub the leaves; smell your fingers for the scent of tarragon.

One of my favorite ways to use it is in split pea soup or pea salad. Both Texas tarragon and French tarragon are strong flavors so a little bit goes a long way.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9129 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9129 Posts

Posted - May 14 2019 :  06:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pea salad? Do you have a recipe for that Sara? I love peas and any way you can make them, I will eat them. Kind of funny because they are one of the vegetables JT hates most.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 14 2019 :  07:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise my English pea salad is simple.

Can of peas - drained
Mayo
Cheddar cheese - either small chunks or shredded
Sweet relish - dill relish may be substituted or chopped pickles
Fine chopped onion
Fresh tarragon or mint
Salt & Pepper

All ingredients to taste

When I make it I usually have just the pea salad for lunch or supper

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 18 2019 :  07:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making chicken broth in slow cooker this morning. Depending on the weather I will either can or freeze it Monday morning.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9129 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9129 Posts

Posted - May 18 2019 :  10:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Sara. Thanks!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  06:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise the chicken broth turned out tasty and I froze it in ice cube trays. Yielded 4 trays.

Drying pineapple mint this morning. Will make pineapple sugar for morning tea.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  08:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara in January I made bone broth and froze it in ice cube trays. I made both beef and chicken. I was going to drink the bone broth, but it has really come in handy for cooking.So I reasoned that I could drink it warmed up or get it in my food. I think about how many servings the recipe will make then instead of adding broth...I add a broth cube for each serving plus perhaps a couple more.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  10:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I find freezing broth in cubes is handy for cooking and warming up food.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  1:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true, Sara.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  1:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Annie likes broth cubes as a treat and she had one this morning. She may be a tad spoiled don't you think.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  7:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe so. Ours always appear when I am making sandwiches for the lunchboxes. They usually get a piece of ham or bologna. When I pull out the empty tea jars, fruit bowls and left overs here they come. ..hoping for summer sausage and cheese.
Scruffy is a dog in the manger.She takes her doggie jerky treat and lays it on the bed. Then she gets up there to guard it. If Tillie walks by on the floor or Twister jumps up on the bed...Scruffy goes bonkers. That is when I take the great and give it to the border co!lie.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - May 21 2019 :  12:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last week, when we got home, my daughter's garden produced a load of yellow squash and she brought me a large bag. We had it for dinner one night and the rest I put in the freezer. Her cukes are now starting to come in so I am guessing if they do well, I will be making my pickles soon. No more jars left here at home!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 24 2019 :  10:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie hope her cucumbers make and you have all you want for pickles.

Corn's on sale this week so I got 6 ears to make corncob broth. I can't eat corn so I took it off the cob and froze it for Betty.

While I was husking the corn on my side porch the yardman showed up. My backyard only needs weed eating & no mowing once a mowing season and today is the day. I asked how much extra for the backyard and he said nothing but he would take an ear of corn for his lunch so my backyard is being done for an ear of corn. Five ears will still make a broth rich with corn flavor - great in soups especially potato.

The corncobs will cook in spring water overnight in slowcooker and hopefully I will can in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 24 2019 :  1:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a barter if I ever heard of one, Sara. Yum!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 28 2019 :  07:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I finished canning broths this morning. 4 pints each of chicken mushroom broth; plain chicken broth with herbs; corncob broth. Now to take a day or two off from canning before I can dried beans.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - May 28 2019 :  10:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been cooking much .... I did attempt to make butter the other day. My organic heavy cream had expired ... I hadn't opened the pint yet ... so I thought hum ..... why don't I try to make butter? I have always wanted to make my own butter. There's something about being self reliant that appeals to me. Besides, I figured I had nothing to lose ... if it worked I had butter and if not ... the cream would have been thrown out anyway. So, I pulled out my Kitchenaid stand mixer and got whippin'

It was quite an experience to watch from heavy whipping cream to cottage cheese like ... to butter milk ... I was just an awe. Oh and the butter is so lovely.

I was going to bake myself a fresh loaf of bread but wanted immediate gratification, so I went grocery shopping and bought a small loaf. I also decided to make a mushroom chowder.

Called on my friends and we had a spur of the moment dinner ... they all enjoyed the chowder as well as the butter.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 28 2019 :  11:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, you have arrived! Sometimes I feel sad about how hard my grandmother worked churning butter each week. I know because in the summer we kids all shared the churn duties. Then Grandma would finish up and press the butter into a wooden mold with a pretty design. It took a long time because no liquid could be left in the butter, lest it spoil.
Today a mixer can whip the cream into butter, easy!
But you can also put the cream into a quart jar and shake it! ( you know I did this at home one day all by myself) I found out it is a whole lot faster to make butter in a classroom full of children who can hardly wait their turn to shake that jar!
Now I did not say they loved it...you need to put a pinch of salt in before the kids think it is butter.
I remember helping in Bible school...So I was 12, 1955, First Baptist Church. My job was to spread 'butter' on bread, put another slice on top, cut into four little squares, make a big pile, use the whole loaf of bread.. Now ladies that is what we fed those little ones at snack time...along with some koolaid!! Very healthy and nutritious....right?????

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2627 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2627 Posts

Posted - May 28 2019 :  11:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bread and butter? Sounds delicious, Marilyn!! haha
I remember our 3rd grade teacher had us make butter in a glass jar like that...all of us taking turns shaking it. Then she spread it on graham crackers for us. She was my FAVORITE teacher! She had 8 children of her own. The last time I got to visit with her was the week of my highschool graduation. She sent all of us cards, 9 years after leaving her classroom. I remember so many things that she taught us, even to this day.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - May 28 2019 :  12:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter brought me a huge sack of cucumbers from her garden so I was able to make my Mom's Bread n' Butter recipe for 2019. These don't last long, once my girls and siblings find out they have arrived for the season!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 28 2019 :  3:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite pickles are my sweet lime pickles. Next are Bread and butter pickles. I will never forget the summer when I was 10 or 11. We were visiting my grandma, as were some of the cousins from California. We kids had played all morning and we were HUNGRY!!! We came up the back steps, through the kitchen, into the dining room only to discover crackers, cheddar cheese with the red wax rind wrapped up in butcher paper, (do you remember that?) Bread and butter pickles, and two large cans of sardines!
My aunt said that was lunch...and she demonstrated to her Texas born and raised nieces and nephew, just how to eat it. My daddy ate sardines, but I thought they were smelly. My aunt had the ones with mustard sauce. Reluctantly we each took a tiny bit of smelly fish and put it on our cracker then topped it with a pickle slice. We were hungry so we ate it, as well as several more...after all it was a long time until supper. Oh, that cheese was so good!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 28 2019 5:30:15 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page