Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2019 :  8:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our old kitty threw up his meow mix Friday morning. He is 17 and 1/2 years old.I was actually concerned about him ( he has always been mean to me...he is very devoted to my husband.). He just laid around all day long. I told my husband I had feared that he was about to die. Again today he slept a lot, but ate every drop of his special treat that I found at the store this morning. Lacey, our sons cow dog was eating grass outside this evening. It is so hot! I buried a little black chicken tonight. We are all suffering in this awful heat. Please God, please let us have a cool breeze and some rain. Amen.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2019 :  05:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I hope your old kitty is doing better today. We all will be doing better when this heat is over and done with.

Yesterday I worked on my fall pumpkin mat and it put me in a fall kind of mood. Though it was 95 - felt like 111 - I made beef stew on top of the stove and it was really tasty. In the winter I cook stews in the oven. My oven is off limits when it's so hot. Have enough stew for lunch today and tomorrow plus I froze 2 pints without potatoes.

Stew is one of those things you just can't make a little of - like soup, casseroles, spaghetti, & dried beans.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2019 :  09:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers for cooler air and Rain and for Kitty!!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2019 :  12:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Twister says thank you ladies. He is still rather quiet but moving around more. He asked for a treat...but I was so busy trying to finish our lunch, I never gave him his treat. I will now!
Sara my husband asked me to make him some potato soup last week. I did and he ate it all.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2019 :  1:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think everyone is wilting in this heat!
We had quite a storm roll through Friday night and the next one never materialized yesterday. Our temps are WAY cooler than they have been, thank goodness! I was actually cold going to church this morning! I don't remember the last time that happened.
I put a pork roast in the crock pot to make into pulled pork sandwiches for later today. It smells good already.
Marilyn, I hope your kitty feels better soon.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2019 :  4:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Debbie, he has felt better today. Since I'm off flour and bread products that I dearly love, I fixed tacos for Sunday dinner. I saw a young family with four little boys, who did this as their supper. Instead of a tortilla, they used a big baked potato! We split our potato, added the taco meat that I seasoned with gluten free taco seasoning. My son and I ate it with the lettuce, tomato, green onion and jalapeno pepper salad I had prepared. We added chopped avocado( seasoned with lemon juice and salt) ripe olives and he topped his off with grated cheese...while I used unsweetened coconut. Julie had a good taco salad, and Had and her Bapa just ate baked potatoes, although she loaded hers.Then for dessert we had watermelon, grape halves and cantaloupe from my garden. Everyone got full! I love tacos and now I feel like I can eat them...with a twist!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2019 :  09:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the way to go....let everyone customize to their liking!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2019 :  07:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How on earth did our grandmother's ever get a summer meal on the table in this horrid heat??
Now I understand the concept of a summer kitchen, seperate from the house.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  1:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Unsweetened coconut instead of cheese? I wouldn't have thought of that. What does it taste like?

I love loaded baked potatoes - with chicken, beef, or pork. They make a great meal.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  1:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am making my friend's recipe for whole wheat bread today. I had a craving for it this morning. It will make a nice late afternoon snack! I also got an overgrown zucchini from the CSA this week and I made it into zucchini bread. I'm probably going to send a loaf of it over to the neighbor who has been having a rough go of it lately. It sure smells wonderful as it's baking!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  3:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were gifted a giant zucchini last week so we had stuffed zucchini for dinner. This week I have to figure out how to be creative with eggplant as my one eggplant bush has about 15 ripe eggplants on it. I think I will check into seeing if freezing is an option..

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  7:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, the photo I saw of the taco potatoes used sprouts instead of cheese. We had eaten our radish sprouts and the broccoli seed I tried to sprout was too old! So I used the cocunut. Not much but it was good.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9198 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9198 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  04:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith,
What did you put in the zucchini? I imagine you could make some dishes with the eggplant that you could freeze ahead.

Since it is going to be cool I am going to make my whole wheat bread today. Don't like to heat up the kitchen during the hot days.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 23 2019 04:31:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  08:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. Well we waiting for the 70 percent chance of rain we're suppose to get. I hope so. But it doesn't seem to cool things down any. I am just waiting for cooler weather. I know its not coming soon enough.
And going to try a new recipe. You put cut chicken breast in a pan, on one side you put green beans , other side red potatoes on other and add zest Italian mix and melted put and bake. It looked so good. So got to try it.
Marilyn that bake potato and taco sounds awesome. I like b.potato with broccoli and cheese, or chili and cheese. Yum All I'm doing is making my self hungry.
Happy Cooking.
Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  08:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, that chicken recipe sounds good. I think I will try it.
Last night I had the chicken, onion and cheese from three pieces of a quesadilla...the flour tortilla sure looked good as it lay by my plate... but I did not eat it. Julie had made guacamole and pico...yum! Yum! Then I had a gluten free brownie. It was awesome!. My Whole 30 experience has been difficult, but it was Hadlees birthday party, so I ate (inhaled) what was served. Everyone else had ice cream with their brownie and chocolate sauce as well as caramel. That has never interested me so I enjoyed every bite of the brownie! They said it was from a mix. I wish I had one right now!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  10:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does your Whole 30 Diet involve weight loss? I really want to lose 25 pounds, as I know several of us do.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  12:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gathering supplies and recipes together to make apple butter and homemade applesauce tomorrow. I bet my house is going to smell so good!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9198 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9198 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  1:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went and got some peaches today. Going to make my peach jam and maybe some peach butter.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  4:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nine jars of peach jam on the counter and peach cobbler in the oven. It's been a real peachy day!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  4:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds yummy! I'm hungry. We have left overs. But they are good!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9198 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9198 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2019 :  9:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Judith!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  05:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cobblers especially apricot are one of my favorite desserts along with egg custard, custard pie, and old fashion pound cake.

Betty was given pears and she doesn't want to mess with them right now so when she comes to town on Monday she will bring them to me. I told her I would make pear butter if she had room in her fridge for some of the jars. Too hot to can in my Yellow Rose Cottage so the jars will have to be kept in the fridge. Will use 1/2 pint jars.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9198 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9198 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  07:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Sara pear butter is so good!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  12:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally finished 7 half pint jars of Apple Butter and 3 odd sizes of rustic applesauce. The jars in the front left are the applesauce and the back stacked jars are apple butter. I was able to use my new apple peeler which did work after Warren and I finally figured out the instructions and adjusted the parts. It works well and I saved the peels, ground them up in my Cuisinart, and added them to the rustic chunky apple sauce. It is really too hot here to day to spend 5 hours in the kitchen canning, but I am pleased at how the recipes turned out.

Debbie, you asked about my recipe in the other discussion about apple butter so here it is.

I took 7 pounds of Gala and Ginger Gold apples mixed, and cored, peeled and chopped them up. In a large pan on top of the stove, I added 2 cups of apple juice, 1 cup of water, , 1 cup of sugar, I teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of my homemade spice mix called "Fall baking mix" , which is a combo of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove, & ginger, and 1/4 tsp of cloves. You can easily use just 2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg too. Then I simmered the mix for 45 minutes on the stove top stirring ofter. Since I like a more rustic texture, I did not put the mixture through a ricer of cuisinart. Instead, I just used a potato masher and then a whisk to achieve the texture I wanted. It is totally up to you what you do depending on what you want in your final product. After I got it smoother, I had to continue slowly cooking until it becomes very thick. The recipe says, apple butter is done when you put a spoonful on a plate and there is no liquid that forms on the perimeter. I would guess, I cooked it for a total of about 1 hour start to finish. When done, place in your sterile hot canning jars, and place in a water bath and cook for 10 minutes. There was just enough left over in the pot to put in a small dish in the fridge. I am quite please at the final taste and texture. Apple butter on sweet potato biscuits is one of my favorite fall breakfast options.

The apple sauce was made with 3 pounds of apples. I did not remove the skins and did not put them through a cuisinart for a smooth texture. I also ground up all the apple peelings from the apple butter prep in my cuisnart and added them in as well to cook. To the 3 pounds of cored and roughly chopped apples, I added 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cloves and 1 cup of apple juice. I simmered the mixture until the apples were soft and tender. Then, I put the mixture in hot sterile canning jars and cooked in the water bath for 10 minutes.

The thing about these two recipes is that you can add as much sugar as you please and the same for spices. Just taste as you go. Apples are very forgiving and easy to use!

Denise, I hope you get great results with your peach jam! It is always a delicious addition to toast.

Sare, pear butter sounds good too! Does it taste a bit like apple butter and what spices, if any do you add?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  1:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie your jars of apple butter and sauce are beautiful. Love looking at Mason jars full of goodness. Thanks for the recipes.

I have never had pear butter. To me pears are sweeter than apples so am thinking the pear butter will be sweeter too. Same spices as apple butter - cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg along with my touch of ginger. I'll use less sugar than the recipe.

Found a recipe where you wash and dry the pears; cut off both ends; quarter; and cook with the cores & peelings. When the pears are done press through a sieve. Add sugar, spices, and lemon juice; bring to a boil and put in jars. I have frozen lemon zest in the freezer from the lemons in my morning tea.

I should be able to handle it with the A/C even in this heat. 90 today but with the rain all around Paris it feels like 103. No rain here just heavy oppressive humidity.

I just heard thunder - relief and rain may be on the way.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page