Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9199 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9199 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2016 :  8:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We would eat venison over beef anyday. Free is always great Shannon. We have butchered our own before. Lots of work! I always do the tenderloin into butterfly chops. Cooked right they will melt in your mouth. Unfortunately JT hasn't gotten a deer this year,hasn't been out in a while. Hoping he can go this weekend though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2016 :  8:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have deer that live all around us. But no one has killed one in all the years we have been on this place. The game camera was moved this week. Perhaps someone is getting more interested. We all enjoy watching them. When my son was 19 he shot a deer, but it jumped a fence into another place. He went and asked the men on that lease if he could look for his deer. Sadly they had already taken it(stolen it), and after that both he and my husband lost interest.We lived on a different place then.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 15 2016 8:44:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2016 :  8:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry they stole your son's deer like that, Marilyn. Why are some people that way?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  07:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beef broth is simmering in a huge pot... and when I say huge, I mean huge! It is a couple feet tall! But oh what delicious broth and tallow we will have soon!!! Here are some pictures of the pan... the second one I put a tea cup next to it to give you an idea of how big it really is...

Yesterday I received my grains from Cultures for Health to start water kefir, einkorn sourdough, and gluten free sourdough. I am looking forward to getting these started! I have greatly missed eating einkorn sourdough bread, and drinking berry flavored water kefir! I'm interested in trying the gluten free sourdough as well. Now to find enough counter space to get them all going without them contaminating one another!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

Edited by - hudsonsinaf on Jan 06 2017 08:09:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  08:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon you are busy today. The beef broth sounds great. I never thought of cross contamination. I learn so much from my FarmGirl friends. How far apart do you space your jars?

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  08:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - it is suppose to be four feet at a minimum. Here is some information on it - http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/general/cross-contamination-keeping-cultures-safe/

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  08:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Shannon, I added it to my favorites. 4' is impossible in my kitchen. I would have to put a jar in each corner of each room in the house to keep them apart.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jan 06 2017 08:37:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  09:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, we use other rooms, lol. The kombucha often times goes in our bathroom!!! Kefir use to be in our living room.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  10:43:13 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a good recipe for cabbage soup? Or a good cabbage meal? Someone gave me a couple heads of cbbage and I want to use them in something good.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 06 2017 10:43:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  10:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gifts of food are always a good thing. One of my favorite ways to cook cabbage is to cut it into wedges, drizzle with olive oil, season with s/p/herbs, and roast with other veg in a 425 oven. Any leftovers are good in hearty soups.

A hearty cabbage soup can be made by sautéing ground beef; adding can of tomatoes, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onions; use water, beef or chicken broth. I also add a wineglass of a dry red wine; herbs, and for a little heat red pepper flakes or Tabasco Sauce.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  11:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we also enjoy ham cabbage and potatoes... or you could try some saurkraut or coleslaw :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  11:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Sara. I will try that soup. I have most everything here already.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  11:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Shannon. I also love corned beef and cabbage.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  4:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cut up some bacon, with scissors. Let it cook a bit then add some chopped onion, shredded cabbage, and sometimes I add thin sliced red potato. Toss and sprinkle on salt and pepper. Put the lid on and turn the burner to low. After five or ten minutes remove the lid and toss again. Remove from heat when it is wilted. My mother would put a bit of water in her lid, dump that in, put the lid on and it sort of steam fried her cabbage.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 06 2017 4:23:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  5:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds good, too, Marilyn.
I made soup - 1 pound lean hamburger, 1 chopped up onion, chopped cabbage, can of sliced carrots, can of white corn, can of French cut green beans (have no idea why they are French), and 1 can of Rotel tomatoes.
We had the soup with corn bread.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  7:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds yum. Nothing beats a big pot of hot soup on a cold winter day. I made potato soup for lunch. Hadlee baby sat today and when she got home...hungry, Baylee told her to call Gran. She did. Triston was making gumbo with something they brought back from Louisiana, but Hadlee could not wait, she was hungry. Julie said the gumbo was very good.He made it with chicken breast and sausage and lots of okra, no rice. Maybe he will teach Baylee to cook something other than pancakes.

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 06 2017 7:10:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  05:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we are going to have our first real cold front move in today and create a hard freeze tonight, I am dreaming up some sort of soup to make this morning that will be hearty and delicious! I have some smoked pulled pork scraps from Christmas dinner in the freezer that is going to be part of the base. then I am thinking white beans and some sort of greens. I also have sweet potatoes in the fridge that might make a nice addition. I rarely use a recipe for soup but prefer to make it up as I go along. It usually always turns out good too. It is hard to mess up a basic soup idea, I think.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  10:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree on the throw-together soups, Winnie! Just add this or that. My mother used to keep a large container in the freezer and all leftovers of meat and veggies went into that container. When it was full she made soup, and all the flavors made it a great soup.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  1:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn!! That soup sounds wonderful!!!!!! I love cabbage with anything!! and bacon!! I just throw together too! I made a big pot of veggie soup Wed. Holly came and stayed with us till Friday, and Lily June was already here. Holly had her gallbladder out and her hubby was out of town working so a big pot of soup was just the thing to feed us all eating at different times. It was cold here all week. High of 32 today!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  1:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For you who ferment or are interested in starting you may want to visit the fermenting thread on MJF forum if you do not already do so. I have learned from those who have been at it longer than me.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77265

Because of the fog of MS I'm behind with my grocery shopping this week so I am hoping to go in the morning. I want a head or two of cabbage to make sauerkraut. Still thinking about fermenting butternut squash. Maybe by the time it goes on sale again I will have made my mind up.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  2:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, thank you for the link.

I had never heard of fermenting butternut squash. We have an authentic German sausage place just across the Canadian border. They have amazing meats that I am sure would go well with you sauerkraut!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  3:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never fermented any except cabbage for sauerkraut. Maybe I should start reading about it. I have never heard of fermenting butternut squash either. What is it used in?

I use to have a soup and bread cookbook, but found that rarely did I have all the ingredients. I substituted so many ingredients that I gave up recipes and just put in what is on hand. The soups always turn out good. Donated the cookbook for someone else to use. Still have several bread cookbooks for lots of different breads.

We had vegetable and macaroni soup tonight with tossed salad, pork chops with sauteed onions, cottage cheese and homemade applesauce.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  3:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love soups in cold, rainy, or snowy weather in the winter. So comforting.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  4:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I put a roast with carrots in the oven. I put fresh green beans with new potatoes on the stove top. I made a salad, spinach dip with carrot, celery and cucumber to dip it with, fried some okra and made a chocolate cake with 'coffee frosting'. I toasted almond slices to sprinkle on top. Of course we had roast gravy too. Yum. Not too many left overs, yea!!! It was a feel good hearty winter Sunday dinner, with lots of conversation, and gales laughter. My son's phone began going off while we were visiting. His friend in Oklahoma was sending ice storm photos of trees touching the ground, a trophy buck, etc.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  4:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - your Sunday dinner sounds like a fest for royalty, with fun and laughter by all!!!

We are having a simple dinner of steaks and broccoli... maybe some rice to go with it. Tomorrow is my 8 yo's birthday, so simple for today was necessary ;)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page