Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  7:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, you are an angel to help that couple. I know he is so tired. And you provided him with a hot meal and left overs too. Bless you my sweet friend.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 31 2019 09:55:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  05:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always, out HenHouse Kitchens have been busy making yummy dishes, sharing with others, and enjoying veggies from their own gardens or local farmer’s market farmers. I find it always inspiring to see how creative and generous Farmgirls become when they don an apron and get going!!

Two days ago, I made another new recipe from my fall Gooseberry Patch cookbook: Apple Baked Beans. I found it delicious!! First I cooked up about 2 - 3 cups of navy beans, sautéed 3 small tart apples in 1 tablespoon of butter, add 1/4 cup brown sugar, I tablespoon molasses, 1/2 tsp cinnamon( I used Apple Pie Spice instead ) I//2 cup ketchup , and 1/4 tsp salt. Bake in 350 oven for one hour. This ends up being a sweet dish and quite different from the traditional more savory baked beans. But you know how much I love apples so I found it quite a nice change.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  05:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, what's going on in my kitchen- nothing. We are heavy into a very difficult harvest and meals are being pulled from the freezer. I try to do about a months worth of freezer meals before we get started so when I get in late I can just pop them in the oven. Last night was barbecues spareribs, mashed potato casserole, corn and I put 2 apples in the microwave for dessert. With a little granola sprinkled over them and a scoop of ice cream they tasted almost as good as Apple crisp. If anybody has some good freezer meal recipes to share I sure would love them.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  06:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I try to do some freezer meals ahead too. When my Ohio kids come for a visit so it gives me more time to spend with the them. We are swamped with work and JT is doing it alone right now. I've been manning the office so he can keep up with everything. Crockpot and freezer meals are very helpful though. I don't have any meals put in the freezer just now. I am no where near as busy as you are though, harvesting. I'm sure you are extremely tired when you come in from working. It's always nice to have a meal at the ready. I will try and post in the recipe thread some of the things I make. Most of mine are just things I can take out the night before to thaw or put in frozen.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 31 2019 06:45:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  09:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday was so cold, and windy, that by the time I got the chickens fed, watered and the tarps tied down to block the North wind, my tomato plants, peppers, and my moringa trees all wrapped up , some I had do overs on because of the wind...I was exhausted...so I did a soup and cornbread supper. I had beef bone broth, newly made and frozen in ice cube trays, so that was the start. cans of corn, beans, peas and tomato sauce were added. Then it dawned on me that I had to have some meat for hubby. So I opened another can, of chicken breast and dumped that in there too! It was seasoned and hit the spot. Now I know I must shop for canned vegetables...I have no tomatoes bought up. I ordered ten bags of freeze dried green beans, they should be here in a couple of days. I love freeze dried green beans, but have never enjoyed canned ones.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  10:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, my "baked" beans are always sweet. So are Julie's. The difference is she bakes hers in a 9" s 13" dish and I just use a sauce pan.
I cut up about four slices of bacon and chop an onion. Saute them until the bacon is almost cooked. Add 2 cans of pork and beans, a squirt of mustard some Grandma's molasses, and heat it through. It is so yummy with potato salad, and meat. Usually the meat is barbeque.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 31 2019 10:04:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  10:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I made your sweet potato apple casserole for breakfast this morning. You girls need to try this! It is delicious!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  11:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, this looks yummy and what a healthy breakfast alternative!! I am glad you tried the recipe and liked it.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2019 :  7:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, cooking a prime rib roast is very easy. I use a coarse ground salt and freshly ground coarse pepper. Rub liberally over the entire roast. Let come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 425 degrees, I use my convection setting but you can use a regular oven as well. Place roast fat side up on several rosemary sprigs. Bake for 45 minute, than turn down the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes. This will give the outside pieces well to medium well done and the middle medium rare and rare. We don't like rare, so I take those slices -we slice the steaks to about 3/4 inch thick and fry them to desired doneness.. I make my aus jus from packet mixes and heat in the crockpot. After I slice the meat, I let it soak in the juices for a bit so the flavor permeates it. I have never had a failure with this method.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2019 :  05:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie that makes my mouth water and I'm not much of a meat eater. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I will have better luck cooking this way.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 19 2019 05:57:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2019 :  07:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family are huge meat eaters Denise. Guess that is what happens when you raise and hunt your own. We spent part of the weekend helping the kids process their deer, lots of yummy jerky, sausage links, burger and summer sausage went into the smokers and freezer.

What is on everyone's menu's for Christmas?

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2019 :  07:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My family loves jerky. Sometimes I wonder if they realize how many servings they consume...but then I think that their body tells them when to stop...so I keep quiet.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2019 :  08:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I will have to try your prime rib method next time. The last couple of times that I have tried it in my oven I think I cooked it for so long at a really high temp and then shut the oven off for the rest of the cook time. It smoked so bad that the smoke alarm went off both times...nothing says Christmas Day like getting another call from ADT asking if all is well....haha!
I haven't done a lot of baking yet but am trying to finish up today. I am giving almost all of it away. My DIL is busy going to school this winter and I am doing baking for her and the family.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2019 :  11:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I have tried that method as well and had the same results. The kids tease me now that they know when dinner is ready when the smoke alarms go off. I have used the above method for the last several years and like the results so much better.
My baking was done Sunday at our church youth group cookie walk they held after the Sunday school Christmas program. I loaded up a box with 2 of each, including my own fudge I made for our granddaughter who had a basketball tournament and no time, gave a nice donation and now grandpa is happy he has an assortment of goodies, I am happy we don't have to much in the house and the youth group is happy they had such a successful fundraiser.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2019 :  6:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie that was a great fund raiser. Thank you for the instructions on cooking prime rib. It sounds delicious
Another fundraiser the kids did here was ask for people to make a casserole, in a throw away pan...and a dessert also in a throw away pan. A bag of salad could be added if desired. I think they had people sign up for a Sunday to bring. I also remember that two or three could bring on the same Sunday. Of course this food was a donation to the youth group ( going to camp). Then after church there was some serious bidding. The winners paid up and went home with their lunch. No mess. and very little clean up. The youth made some money and the next Sunday they did it again. Etc.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2019 :  07:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,
Sadly, no venison this year yet. JT has been so busy with PT and work he just hasn't had time to go out. I was hoping for some for the freezer this year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  7:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a brand new shiny tall Presto canner today!! My sweet son bought what he thought was a canner for me for a Christmas gift. Even though it was nice and big, I called the company to be sure. The lady said NO! Don't attempt to can in that, it is a pressure cooker only. She told me to return it.
So I did and for $32 more , got the biggest one. Now I can stack pint jars. My old canner is only 54 years old. My mother in law gave it to me for Christmas when My son was a baby. Now I can preserve my sweet potatoes.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  3:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, wow! How many jars will it hold?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  4:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We had venison for Christmas dinner in Germany - was great. She sealed the venison and then put it in a 180 degree bath for several hours in a cooker, then took it out and seared it before we ate. I had never had venison and she cooked it to medium; this was so tender you could cut it with a fork. Delicious.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  6:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, it only holds 7 quarts. But pints is what I will use and since I can double layer it will hold 20 pints,it should
really be nice, and faster too.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 01 2020 6:47:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  6:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Triston and his dad hunted again last weekend. Both got a buck. I've never eaten any that he killed. But he did get some jerky this time.
I learned to soak deer in buttermilk for a couple of hours before breading and frying the steaks. When I was pregnant I was told to soak it in vinegar.
That took the wild taste away but made me sick.of course everything made me sick. Ketchup. Vinegar, iced tea, apples...
If it was swallowed...it returned.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 01 2020 7:05:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  2:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband started the Keto diet at the beginning of the year so all new cooking for me. Mostly no sugar and no carbs. Shouldn’t be to hard. I plan on blessing people with cookies and breads since we won’t need it in the house! Anyone have any good keto recipes? Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  8:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maryellen, I think that diet is much like the Atkins diet that I used when I was around/about 30. I think you are right meat lots of it. Some veggies. There are a lot of you tube videos about it. I did whole 30. But I did it in the fall. Holidays came. Now that holidays are gone I must begin again. I have not decided whether I want whole 30,Paleo or Keto
Seems like they are similar but I have not done an in depth comparrison.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  8:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh...i remember that I would cook a piece of cube steak, seasoned...in a non stick skillet with sliced mushrooms and onions. When it was almost done I would add some sour cream, cover it and wait about three minutes. Then swirl it all around. Yum.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2020 :  6:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn Thanks that sounds really good! I have watched some you tube videos. I need to decide what I am going to do also. The hubs being on keto will help me but I won't do keto. Probably just no sugar and low carbs. Plus I really need to get this body moving. Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page