Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2020 :  8:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son is on that Keto diet. Lots of meat and fat, no sugar or carbs. Some veggies, not much fruit.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2020 :  9:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, how much weight has your son lost? How long has he been on it???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2020 :  11:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -- He didn't do keto to lose weight. Since he's already quite fit I'm not sure why he is doing it, maybe for more body mass. My daughter did keto a couple of years ago and did lose weight but it appears she gained it back. I bite my tongue because I don't feel it's healthy.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2020 :  11:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back when I did Atkins, I found that I could stay on it a couple of months...But then I needed or craved more. I did it several times over a period of several years. I believe we need a balance.
And sometimes what they say is healthy for everyone is not true!
Kale, makes me throw up. Cauliflower is something Bay cannot tolerate with her Lupas...and I have tried but I just don't like it.
Limes will make my tummy hurt so bad. I ruined my tummy with aspirin when I was 13. It has been a problem ever since.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2020 :  12:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe in all things in moderation as far as diet goes. I can't eat kale, either, or chili peppers or avocados. My stomach was ruined with prescription ibuprofen when my back went out. I took less than the doc told me too and it still ate up my innards. Because of that I can't have any NSAIDS. I did try a low carb diet for a couple of months and lost 15 pounds which promptly returned when I went off the diet.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2020 :  2:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Change of subject...just a bit...i used my new canner today! I thought I would never get the lid on...My thumbs are shot and have no strength! I could not ask hubby because his fishing buddy died and he and the third guy went to see about his boat. Finally I grabbed two pot holders and with them and my palms and fingers I was able to move the lid! So now we have 14 pint jars of sweet potatoes. Oh and I learned a valuable lesson...if you wash your sweet potatoes, do not peel or cut the ends off or any thing, then put your sweet potatoes,in a big pot of water and cook them about 15 minutes, wow they peel and cut 95% easier.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2020 :  5:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip on the sweet potatoes Marilyn. I often peel them, cut them into fries and cook the in the air fryer. I have never tried canning them. I have been developing a sour dough starter. I have never made sour dough bread before and want to expand my horizons so I am enrolled in an online sour dough course this month. I always like to try something new in the winter months to keep things interesting.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  01:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie I think you will enjoy your sourdough starter, and all the things you can make with it. I have an einkorn starter in the fridge. Waiting on me to buy more Einkorn flour. My husband log s candied sweet potatoes...which I have always fixed at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now that my hands give me so much trouble, peeling and cutting them up has been a challenge...But now I may fix them for him more often since I learned about the precooked method.
There is a young mother on you tube...Farmhouse on Boone...She does sourdough!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2020 :  5:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I made pizza dough from scratch .... gosh is it ever good. I used the autolyze technique where the yeast and salt are introduced later on during the process. The crust was amazing. I call it my Refrigerator pizza because I only used what was in the fridge! lol

It was so worth it. I am turning the rest of the dough into a bread. I half the recipe but it was still too much. I'll retard the dough and experiment tomorrow

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2020 :  5:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, Where are you taking your sour dough class? I've been thinking about starting a sourdough starter but not sure how often I want to bake bread etc .... I've used a poolish, but I'm sure it doesn't taste the same as a sourdough starter.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2020 :  9:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your pizza looks yummy!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2020 :  12:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That crust looks fabulous!
Julie, I tried 2 different times so far this winter to get a starter going. The first one smelled awful and the second one grew mold right before I wanted to finally use it. I give up! I have been craving sourdough pancakes. I guess I will try and get them at the pancake house one of these days instead.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2020 :  8:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a starter going earlier this year. Excellent flavor but didn't raise much so I always had to add a little yeast. I'll try another one when the weather warms up and I can set it outside to catch a good wild yeast.
About 30 years ago when my son was in the Air Force I used to send him boxes of cookies, pinatas, and other things he couldn't get in England and he would send me goody boxes of various interesting things. One of the things he sent was tinned steak and kidney pies. I tried to find them here but they were unavailable due to mad cow disease. Times have changed and we found them on Amazon. Delivered today and dinner tonight!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  04:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh, Carole, that pizza looks quite yummy!! It is amazing what a person can do with just what is on hand. Some of my most cooking fun is when I get creative and make up something with what is on hand. Surprisingly, it often comes out really good too. When I do something like that, I am reminded how early cooks could only create meals with what was available. There was no such thing as having everything you could want at a local grocery store and money to go there and buy it.

I just purchased some Einkorn whole wheat flour. MaryJane has some discussion about using this flour in her recent bread book. I have been reading up on it and plan to try her basic yeast bread recipe and see what happens. It is a fascinating flour and I am looking forward to learning how to use it. It is supposed to be full of a sweet nutty taste.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2020 :  8:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, when you finish tell me if you used more or less liquid than the recipe called for. From everything I have read and watched, it seems to react to liquids a bit differently than wheat flour. I am making my Amazon order list for February...It has Einkorn flour as well as the grain to grind.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2020 :  3:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandma could make a meal for a crowd with whatever she had on hand. I don't know how she did it! Whenever I am standing in front of my pantry and thinking I have NOTHING to throw together, I imagine her doing the same and pulling things together and creating something warm and filling. I just need to be more adventurous, I guess! It also beats going to the grocery store!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2020 :  6:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you have a picky husband like mine...We have ghoulash. I have never understood why he freaks out about pasta. The sauce is basically the same whether I fix spaghetti or ghoulash.
He also a thinks he must have a piece of meat on his plate. Now I grew up eating casseroles and soups. We had fried chicken now and then. Sunday dinner was pot roast. Mother loved to try new things, so I guess I got that from her.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2020 :  11:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -- I think it's just men. Mine feels deprived if I make a vegetarian meal. Sometimes I can fool him with a veggie based lasagna or casserole but not often. I was mostly vegetarian when we got together so it's been an adjustment for both of us, even after 29 years.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2020 :  12:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight -- Lima beans and ham hocks. It's just that kind of weather.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2020 :  6:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is interesting Judith. Most of my childhood foods had to be given up. My husband lived with his grandparents. They had a huge deep freeze. When the meat ran low, she called and soon it was restocked. Once she gave me a Pikes Peek roast to thaw and cook. I had never seen such a huge be cut of meat!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9182 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9182 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  08:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I have more granola in the oven. JT loves the stuff and we seem to go through it quickly.
I might use up some turkey we had. I kept the broth and froze it, so thinking about soup for our supper.
Will also be needing to make more bread soon.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 15 2020 08:05:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  10:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how to make sourdough bread that does not have that sour taste...even sugar does not cut it. Also it makes me have horrid gas...even tho I used gluten free floud.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9182 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9182 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  5:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not make sourdough bread Marilyn. I think Winnie does so maybe she will have some insights to share.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  6:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  6:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny how several of us are working on sourdough lately!
My daughter got a starter from a friend, I guess it is YEARS old! She sent it to her as dried starter. It took off like crazy! She shared some with me and you can literally see it growing. I have enough built up to make pancakes tomorrow morning...she is making waffles tonight. A good night for it...cold and windy and rainy.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page