Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  03:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apricot jam is so good!
Several years ago my son and hubby and the crew were rebuilding a house that had burned. It was 40 miler away. But one day as I went out to greet them my son reached into the back of his truck bed and said that he brought me something yummy. It was a huge plastic trash can lid heaping full of apricots. He asked me to make some jam and I did. I also ate some. He said they had been eating them as they ripened but suddenly a bunch were ready all at once. What a treat !

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 26 2020 03:53:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  11:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is our last cool day here for awhile so early this morning I started 2 loaves of sourdough sandwich bread and put a ham in the oven on low. I am looking forward to a ham supper, but more excited about all the yummy meals we will have with the ham leftovers. We have a busy week so ham sandwiches for lunch will be perfect.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  12:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have pecan, peach and plum trees at the new house. The plums are ripe now. The peaches aren't as plentiful and Ed says there aren't many on them. Now I need recipes to make something good with them. I know some of you have good recipes.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  2:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think apricot and plum jams are among my favorites! I have never heard of apricot/banana....that sounds good, too!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  2:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peach pie, peach jam, pickled peaches. Yum.

Apricots taste like sunshine. I never got tired of them even after spending many hours in the sun cutting them for drying. It takes about 1000 pounds of ripe apricots (the riper the better) to make 100 pounds of dried apricots.
It was a college boyfriend's mother who taught me how to make apricot banana jam. You just use the apricot jam recipe in the box of pectin and substitute part of the apricots for bananas.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - May 30 2020 :  11:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apricots are a favorite of mine but they are not in the grocery stores yet. When they do arrive, they are really expensive but I still but a few each year to enjoy. Apricot jam is one of my favorites too!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - May 30 2020 :  12:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love apricots too. I saw them at the grocery store last week. $5.99 a pound. We do have a fruit truck that comes once a month that will have them in July. I will order a case than this month is Georgis Peaches and Washington Cherries. I ordered a case of each (they are much cheaper that way) and will split with my daughter. I am looking forward to a good, juicy peach.

Many years ago I planted apricot trees, but I have only gotten a couple of crops from them. It all depends on how hard our winters are and a lot of times we get frost when they are blooming. The years I was able to harvest, I canned a lot of jam, sauce and glaze.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 30 2020 :  1:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We often get a late frost...no fruit at all that year. But when watching gardening videos on you tube, a couple of months ago, I came upon a young couple who sell fresh veggies and bouquets of flowers at their farmers market...in Canada. They told about the small town where they live. Apricot trees are a mess there. The trees are everywhere and too many apricots for the people to deal with. I could not believe it! How? I guess they are not so far from the ocean in western Canada. Let me tell you, I was envious! I know, I know, I had to ask God to forgive me...but the thought of all those apricots going to waste...

Judith did you, long ago, dry your apricots on a screen on the roof?
Great Granny had a huge apricot tree in her back yard.We loved to sit on her front porch and eat them. (My son was a toddler when he learned what a great treat they were and are).That is how Great Granny dried hers. She cleaned the old window screens, dried them, cut the apricots and put them on the screens, cut side up. Then each batch was covered with a tea towel, placed on the edge of the roof... and Mr. Sun did the rest.
My mother dried peaches the same way.
My aunt who lived in Palm Desert, California would glean from the grape vineyards after the harvest. She had the biggest best raisins!

Linda, just buy a bunch of sugar and some sure jel and follow the information they give. Perfect jelly every time. Unless you are diabetic...and since I'm am NOT, I can't help you.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 30 2020 1:55:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - May 30 2020 :  5:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an abandoned apricot orchard down the road from us so we had access to more apricots than we knew what to do with. I canned apricots and made jam every year and my late husband brought home a big stack of drying trays from his father's construction (junk) yard. Drying trays are about 4' by 8' and we would put them on saw horses and cut apricots to fill them. We'd stack 8 trays, cover them with a tarp, and light a 1 lb coffee can with sulfur and let it burn overnight. In the morning we would uncover the trays and put them up on the roof to dry. We had a flat roof so that was perfect for drying in the summer. The flat roof was horrible in the winter as it leaked like crazy no matter how many layers of tarpaper and asphalt was put on it. My kids got so tired of standing in the hot sun cutting apricots that they refused to eat them for years. Might also be due to the fact that late husband sold most of the apricots and didn't pay the kids anything.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 30 2020 :  5:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had forgotten about the sulfur.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9179 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9179 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2020 :  06:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drying some blueberries today. Cleaning out the freezer and seeing what I can use up or dehydrate. The freezer needs a good cleaning and straightening up. Has anyone ever done jerky? I'm going to look up how to do it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2020 :  07:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Judith and Marilyn -

When the apricots were drying on the roof didn't bugs or birds get to them? Even covered up I would think the animals might smell them and go to eat them.

Plums are ripening on our tree now, and the birds go up to the top and peck once at each plum to make them fall to the ground. Silly birds. Also, many of the plums and all of the peaches on the tree have little worms. We don't know if the previous owners treated them; we need to check into an organic treatment so we get good fruit next year. Or we may need something stronger to get rid of the worms. Any ideas of what to use and when and how to use it? Thanks, all.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2020 :  08:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great granny covered her apricots with a tea towel. No birds or bugs allowed.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2020 :  08:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I make jerky frequently. It turns out great.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9179 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9179 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2020 :  09:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put strawberries in the dehydrator along with the blueberries. Blanched some broccoli and put that in the freezer. The Amish market usually sells some of their vegetables in large bags at a reduced price so I figured it was a good idea to get some things to freeze and such.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2020 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerky is a favorite here. I usually make several batches of venison jerky for holiday gifts and if we are close to butchering a beef I will clean the foasts out of the freezer and make jerky out of those.it is a bit time consuming, but so worth it.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2020 :  11:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I learned something new with the last batch.
#1 I used Braggs aminos rather than soy sauce. Good choice. I looked for but could not find coconut aminos in our local grocery stores. I had the Braggs in my cabinet.
#2. I learned that the hot pepper can be sprinkled on,for those who love it spicy, as you reach the end of the cooking time. It will stick because the meat has that tiny bit of fat on the surface.
#3. I learned that I must tell everyone to keep the jerky in the fridge because I do not use preservatives on mine.

Julie the best Jerky I have ever eaten was made by our Julie's brother up in northern Wisconsin, from deer meat. The recipe came from an old old book or booklet of Hunter trapper recipes...or so she said. It had that soy taste but was so tender.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2020 :  11:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda -- No problems with bugs or birds and the drying apricots. I think maybe the smell of the sulphur kept them away.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2020 :  12:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep forgetting about the sulfur.
My little sister was so allergic to cedar trees, when we went to grandmas house each summer, the doctor told mother to buy some Sulfur and Cream of Tarter tablets for her. They helped. She still sneezed a bit bit at least it was not constant.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9179 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9179 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2020 :  03:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a jerky maker but haven't used it yet. I bought it quite some time ago thinking I would use it when JT got a deer but he hasn't been able to go out hunting in a while. Hopefully this year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2020 :  1:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are having a barbecue in honor of my husbands birthday. I have a prime rib roast ready for the grill, herbed baby potatoes, a green salad, watermelon, garlic bread and instead of a cake he requested a butterscotch dessert. There is nothing better than good food and good company.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2020 :  2:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds yummy Julie.
Today I fried chicken strips for everyone but me. I waited some then sprinkled on some Musket Powder. They were good. We also had a Mexican Salad, stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon, Mac and cheese with half a can of Rotel mixed in. For dessert we had fresh blackberries with sugar and cream. Yum.
Now I'm looking at my can of cookie mix that I ordered from gfJules. I'm trying to decide if I want to make half a recipe. They are gluten free. But at $10 a can this stuff is pricy. A can makes 60 cookies. That is way too many for me. So is 30...but tomorrow Bay should be around and she might want some.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  1:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I made the slab peach pie recipe from our latest MJF magazine and it was so delicious! We are getting lots of fresh peaches from South Carolina in the stores right now . This is the first time I have ever made a peach pie. Most of the time I make things like peach cobbler, but this pie was such a delicious treat!! Check it out!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1189 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1189 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  2:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie your pie looks scrumptious. I bought a case of Georgia peaches last week and we have been enjoying all things peach too. I have put a few bags in the freezer for winter treats. We have another truck of peaches coming in on the 23rd and I think I will have to get another case.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2020 :  4:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful pie; I know it will taste as good as it looks. I usually make peach cobbler but when I had a peach tree I made 12 pies and froze them. Fresh peach pie in winter is a super treat.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page