Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  08:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ham bones and chicken backs roasting in the oven. Planning on making some bone broths :) Does anyone know if you can drain the fat from ham and use it to cook in, like you use beef tallow or bacon fat?

Linda - the "mushroom" for the kombucha is not actually a mushroom like you eat... think of the mother of apple cider vinegar. It is the same type of thing. I have "issues" with the taste of fermented foods. It is an acquired taste thing. I should probably try kombucha again... My oldest describes the taste as a fermented sour-y tang... that is somewhat sweet. Hahahaha!!!! Water kefir we double ferment... which basically means we have the grains sitting in sugar water until it ferments (you can see tiny little bubbles.. like carbonation... when you shift the jar). Then we strain it into another jar with some fruit (frozen strawberries are a favorite here) and let it ferment for a couple days in the fridge. This results into almost a natural soda. The strawberries (or whatever fruit you use) add a little more sweetness and fruit flavor, plus with it being fermented, it is bubbly, which is my favorite part of soda!!!

My suggestion - if you are interested in possibly making your own at home, is to buy a bottle of pre-made and try that to see if you like it... Then if you do, you can start making your own (which I think tastes better and is most definitely cheaper!!!)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  08:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon you can use the fat from ham. It's really good in red-eyed gravy.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  09:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - do you put it in the ridge or can I freeze it in ice cube trays like I do my beef tallow? And what is red-eyed gravy?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349

Edited by - hudsonsinaf on Feb 25 2017 09:39:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  09:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can freeze it. I grew up eating red-eyed gravy - breakfast or supper. Traditionally it's served over grits or sopped up with homemade biscuits.

Red-eyed Gravy
2 Tbsp fat of ham
1/2 cup brewed coffee
1/4 cup water

Using those measurements you can increase the servings. Pork chop fat is a good substitute for the ham fat. In a pinch I have used bacon fat.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  09:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Shannon. I will get a bottle of Kefir and see. It definitely sounds like something I'd like to try. I'm still not sure of the Kombucha. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  09:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara - You are such a wealth of cooking knowledge. WOW!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  09:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sara! I wonder if I'd be able to eat it... I cannot stand coffee, but my hubby loves it, so I will have to make it for him! And I agree with Linda - you are a wealth of knowledge! Thank you so much!

Linda - let me know what you think of the kefir! There is also milk kefir, which is made with milk... so the natural sugars in milk are what ferments it. I know people drink it by itself, but we always preferred it in smoothies. I'm still uncertain about goat milk kefir... I need to try it... but I'm scared it is going to be too goat-y. Once we have our own dairy goats that we are milking, I will try it!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  09:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried the milk kefir, ad I enjoyed it because it is similar to buttermilk in taste (to me). My problem was the cost of the milk to let the Kefir work in. If I had a milk cow I could make it all the time...but I do not have a milk cow.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  10:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I'm watching the cooking shows on PBS. One of the things I learned is how to keep vanilla beans soft. The chef put about an inch of bourbon in the bottom of a wide mouth mason jar and stood the beans in the jar. I have made vanilla flavoring with bourbon but didn't know it would keep the beans soft.

The other thing is a fun thing. The chef called vegetables 'dirt candy' and even had named her restaurant that.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  10:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another question.... I have a bunch of deer fat from butchering. Can I render that down and freeze it in ice cube trays as well to cook with??? Anyone know?

Marilyn - no kidding on the milk cow!!! That is one reason we want to get our own dairy goats! We cannot do cow milk, but I need a steady supply of milk! The only one "allowed" to drink milk right now is Emi, because at her age she needs it! We are paying $15 a gallon!!!!! And that is a discount!!! Normally they charge $20 a gallon, but because we buy 2 gallons every week, they gave us a discount!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  10:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, are you getting milk from a family dairy nearby? There is one Dutch dairy in this area that makes cheese. I think you can purchase fresh milk there at times.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  10:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon did you receive the note and $ I sent.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  10:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon to me fat is fat. I don't know why it wouldn't work. Since venison is a lean meat it might be handy to have it when you cook your venison.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  10:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - we are indeed getting it from a local dairy. And I did get your note and the money. you can expect it back with your kombucha scoby next week ;)

Sara - I'm going to try it :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  10:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, please use the money for mailing costs. Please.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  11:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I followed your cabbage recipe sort of. I cooked red cabbage with red onion, jalapeno, bacon, a glass of red wine, and 1/4 c red wine vinegar. Also 1/2 tsp cumin. I put cumin in all cabbage dishes. Yum Yum.

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  5:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a recipe for the chocolate avocado frosting. My sister told me about a recipe she found. I just guessed at the amount of ingredients. I will have to ask her if she has an actual recipe. You could probably Google it.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2017 :  06:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this weekend I canned.... 9 quarts of ham broth and 29 quarts of chicken broth. I will be canning kidney beans today after I cook them (soaked them last night) and beef broth tomorrow - which will continue simmering throughout today.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2017 :  06:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon your jars of goodness must look beautiful lining your shelves.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  10:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been tweaking my pasta dough recipe! I have the Kitchenaid - Funky pasta attachment and haven't used it because I couldn't get my pasta dough recipe to work well with it. Now that I've taken a class on pasta, I see what I have been doing wrong.

So out came the funky pasta attachement and I made rigatoni and from my standard attachment I made fettuccine and linguine

I love making fresh pasta! The funky attachment allows me to make macaroni, spaghetti, Bucatini, and a twisty kind (I forgot the name). My goal is to have ready made pasta for when I need it. I still have a bit of tweaking to do, but it's coming along nicely!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  10:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, your pasta is beautiful. Don't you just love all our kitchen toys.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  11:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I am canning beef broth... and venison broth is simmering on the stove. We ended up with 8 quarts of kidney beans.

Carole - I need to try to make pasta using einkorn flour. I have made gluten free pasta which turns out pretty well, but is extremely labor intensive

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  12:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, I'm not understanding how making gluten free pasta is labour intensive? Wouldn't the recipe be the same for flour pasta? One egg per 3/4 cup of flour?

I have the kitchenaid pasta attachment and it is a breeze to make.

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Mar 02 2017 06:44:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  12:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole - sadly no :( You cannot just exchange gluten free flour for regular flour. The purpose of gluten is for the elasticity, so once you take it out, it doesn't work the same. More often than not you have to combine different flours... and often it turns into a gummy mess that you just have to work with. You also have to add xanthan gum or guar gum... and sometimes both. I have yet to find a recipe that produces light gluten free pasta that works as well as regular flour... which is why I really hope I can look into einkorn pasta. Oh - the other difference is that the ratio of liquid is different, which largely depends on what flours are used. There is a science to it that I just haven't learned... not to mention the elasticity difference.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  12:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, interesting.

Well I found a class on Craftsy on Gluten Free Pasta. I have to say, I am impressed with their cooking classes. It is on sale at $19.99, you might want to check it out.

https://www.craftsy.com/cooking/classes/gluten-free-italian-classics/35886

Carole

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page