Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 The pressure's on ... no blowing a lid!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic The pressure's on ... no blowing a lid! Next Topic  

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  09:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I would start a thread on pressure cookers. I just recently started using mine again after more than 25 years. Gosh I bought this Langostina pressure cooker back in 1986 and never really used it much.

I recently took a class on the Craftsy website on Pressure Cookers and really enjoyed it.

The first recipe I made was pulled pork, which was somewhat of a disaster. I ran out of liquid! Thankfully I noticed it in time and was able to salvage the meat. It took forever for the meat to be cooked.

I think the disaster was due to having the burner on too high. I'm thinking that it shouldn't be going SHHHHHHHHHHHH but a very quiet and subtle shhhhhh! Can anyone enlighten me on how to use a pressure cooker?

There are so many benefits to using a pressure cooker. I'm hoping to master this art soon! It would be great for canning too!

Thanks for your input!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 08 2017 10:45:13 AM

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  09:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole...be careful...that is scarey. I use a pressure canner when canning foods. I stay in the hot kitchen and watch carefully. Yes there is a happy jiggle sound when you get the heat just right. Your cooker was spewing the moisture into the air because it was too hot. They have been known to blow up on people when not regulated.
If your cooker came with a book it should give you times, etc.
It does take time to get the temp right.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 08 2017 09:53:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  10:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a new electric pressure cooker that was Ed's sister's. I have never used it; though I'd love to learn more about it. I wonder - are the electric any better than the ones that go on a burner? Another of Ed's sisters uses a large one on the burner all the time to can things (some things weird, I think). I guess she knows how to regulate it because it has not blown up.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  10:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, the book doesn't tell me much except how to care for it. I did buy a Pressure cooking book - The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric by Bruce Weinstein & Mark Scarbrough (who happen to be the teachers of the class I'm taking) but the book doesn't talk about the SHHHHHHH versus the subtle shhhhh! Maybe I need to review the first part of the class again. There's so much to learn.

I did try my pressure cooker again last night for chicken soup and had it going the subtle shhhhhh, and that seemed to work I really want to be able to use it. It is so economical and it a much faster way to cook while leaving the nutrients at its max. I want to be able to cook legumes .... allowing me to reduce the cooking time.

Linda, an electric pressure cooker does not have as high of a psi as a stove top. Therefore, you will need to cook it longer and reduce the liquids. Otherwise it is the same thing. You might want to try it. I'm really enjoying getting reacquainted with my pressure cooker.

I am planning on going into Montreal this weekend. I'll stop into Sears and check out the parts they have available for Langostina. I'm thinking I should probably get a new rubber ring. It looks brand new, but just in case. If you notice on the picture, my lid is actually inside the pot. The safety feature is that the pressure button pops up keeping you from opening the lid when it's under pressure, which it was when I took the picture.

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 08 2017 11:54:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  11:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years ago I did use a smaller Presto pressure cooker. I had a hungry son at the time. I do remember removing the cooker from the burner and putting a wet towel on the lid (do not cover the bobbley thing or the vent though)to decrease the wait time before it was safe to open the lid.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  7:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a glass flat-top electric stove, so not sure the bottom of some of the older pressure cookers would work, since pans have to be perfectly flat.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  9:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year, I bought me a Power Pressure Cooker XL and Have made soups mostly with it and it pressure cooks it. It is electric. I got a really great deal on it and other than not having a real recipe book it has been used alot. One time I did put the lid together wrong and lost all my liquid, I found that out fast and haven't done that since. I can can/preserve, soups/stew/slow cook, I haven't tried that one.Rice, Beans, Fish Chicken and meat It has been great. It was worth it for me. and I feel safe with it.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  9:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't used my pressure cooker in years. I used it a lot when I got it. Don't use the pressure canner either because I freeze instead of can. Good luck gals.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  9:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did that too BONNIE, until someone left the freezer door open and everything had to be thrown out. At least the freezer got defrosted. Now I try some of both. And bought a dehydrator also. I am still learning about it.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 08 2017 9:42:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  06:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I know what you mean about a flat stove top. I had a ceramic burner stove top that came with a house I purchased (since sold) a while back. I couldn't use my canning pot on it because the thermostat on the ceramic would shut itself off due to over heating. The pan did not sit flat on the burner. The great thing about Langostina cookware, they have a 1/2 inch thick bottom on the pan, they lie flat - so they work on all stove top.

Darlene, nice pressure cooker! If you're interested, I took a class on Caftsy Make the Most of Your Pressure Cooker with Bruce Weinstein & Mark Scarbrough and they used both an electric pressure cooker and a stove top one. The beauty about the class is that you follow along as they make the recipe. They are still offering the class for $19.99 (regular price $39.99) I really enjoyed the class myself. I have tried two of their recipes, Pulled pork and chicken soup, both were wonderful.

Marilyn, I love my dehydrator. We dried apples last year, yummy. We always do tomatoes too - Sun-dried (or dehydrated tomatoes) add a wonderful flavour to dishes.

Carole

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  12:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carole, I will check it out.

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  5:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As someone who likes to know where her food comes from and how it is preserved. I use the pressure canner, dehydrator, meat smoker and freezer. Carole I also use the pressure cooker on my stovetop and have an electric pressure cooker I got for Chriatmas. The newer ones really are much safer to use than the ones my grandmother had. I have hers as well, but it doesn't have the release valves like the newer ones do. I am liking the electric cooker, quick and easy when I know I have to be outside while supper should be cooking. The stovetop cooker produces the tenderest meat, love throwing a tough cut in there and it coming out so tender.
Carole you do need to replace the rubber gasket occasionally. Our hardware store usually carries replacements as does our farm store.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  5:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Julie for the info.

Weather permitting, on Sunday I will be headed into Montreal and was planning on picking up some new seals! The main seal in my pot are not "common". It's actually a round gasket that fits inside the fold of the stainless steel rim. Not even sure I can get it out without damaging it. I recently oiled it with canola oil (I didn't have any vegetable oil). I'm thinking of also changing the two seals inside my lid.

Or maybe I just need to oil them. I did notice a bit of water coming out to my safely valve (the one with the small seal around it - the button pops up and keeps the lid from being opened).

I bought this pressure cooker because it's the same style as my main cookware set - a custom addition. It was a time in my life whereby everything had to match! lol

I'm with you on the electric pressure cookers. They sure look convenient! The only issue is that they cook at a lower psi and require less moisture.

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 09 2017 5:52:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  7:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that bad to have lower psi and less moisture?

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  7:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I believe the new gasket for my canner also had the little gasket because they both should be replaced at the same time. Once you have the new ones it won't matter if you break the old one getting it out. I worried and dreaded the job...which was actually easy. The old gaskets are worn, and a bit misshapen. Once they are gone....smooth sailing.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  4:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, NO it is not "bad" to have a lower PSI. All it means is that it takes a tad longer to cook in an electrical pressure cooker and requires less moisture. Meaning, you need to reduce the amount of liquid. Recipes for either electric pressure cooker and stove top pressure cooker are interchangeable. It's just a matter of adjusting time and moisture/liquid levels. An electrical pressure cooker looses less fluid than a stove top pressure cooker. It is my understanding that because it is self regulating, you can leave the electric pressure cooker unsupervised while you cannot a stove top.

I hope this helps! Enjoy your electric pressure cooker.

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 15 2017 08:30:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  5:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, Marilyn. Good idea to replace both gaskets at the same time, since they have the same wear on them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  7:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carole! That did help, I had no idea about that.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  08:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I posted my question on the classroom discussion and the teacher answered as follows:

It has to be a quiet and subtle ssshhhhhh. It is about maintaining the pressure and not about excess pressure being released.

Pressure cooking on a stove top is very different from an electric pressure cooker. The electric pressure cooker regulates itself while the stove to, I've got to regulate it.

Cheers!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  10:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I continue to play with my pressure cooker. I just love it. I like that it shortens cooking time. Made a delicious chicken soup on Sunday! It taste just like it's been simmering on the stove for hours but only took 20 minutes!

I just bought the book Modern Pressure Cooking: More Than 100 Incredible Recipes and Time-Saving Techniques to Master Your Pressure Cooker by Bren Herrera. What I like about the book is that she has a table with cooking time for legumes and grains. I want to incorporate in my diet more legumes and grains. The other pressure cooking books I purchased did not have that information and the recipe really look interesting.

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Mar 22 2017 08:35:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  07:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could someone share their favourite book on pressure cooker canning? I'm still looking into using a pressure cooker to can stuff I cannot using a water bath.

Also, if you have any recommendations on a canner pressure cooker, it would be much appreciated. I've looked into some and they range from $70 to $380!

Cheers!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  07:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I absolutely LOVE the Ball Complete Home Preserving book. It has both water bath canning as well as pressure canning recipes. My most favorite book though is actually the one that came with my canner years ago! I have a separate pressure canner and pressure cooker (I have an Instant Pot), so I don't think I'll be any help on that one :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  07:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Shannon for the suggestion.

I do have an older version of the Ball Complete home preserving. When I lived in Montreal, I did a lot of water bath canning. The Jean Talon farmer's market is amazing. You could by bushels of vegetables and fruits etc. I also had a pear tree that had branches over hanging my 2nd story balcony. The landlords said I could take as many pears as I'd like. They were delicious! One year I canned pears in amaretto! Yummy! Now that I live in the country, I cannot seem to find a farmer's market! I'm so confused! lol

Carole

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2017 :  08:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My pressure cooker is tucked away for now until I figure out how to cook legumes in it.

I did order a bean book that Sara had suggested Heirloom Beans: Great Recipes for Dips and Spreads, Soups and Stews, Salads and Salsas, and Much More from Rancho Gordo by Steve Sando & Vanessa Barrington

Now that my class is over, I'm hoping to sit down and read up on it. Today after work will be a good day given it is so gorgeous out!

Catch you later!

Carole

Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic The pressure's on ... no blowing a lid! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page