Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 8

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  05:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Talk about a quick month! I was just attempting to catch up and realized I'm late for the porch thread!

Today we are picking up Aunt Marge at the airport for her annual "get away from the Florida heat" visit. Always a hoot to have her. She so enjoys sitting outside reading a book. I have her all set up with a parasol, all comfy and enjoy our sunny weather.

Pumpkin will be coming up for Aunt Marge's visit. It will be fun to have her home even if it's just for a bit. I tell you these boy scouts do work their staff! lol Most important, she loves her job, working with little kids (boys) teaching them about nature.

As for myself, I continue to stay out of trouble ... it's getting a tad boring! lol

Keep well everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4651 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4651 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  10:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Staying out of trouble IS boring. LOL! I'm hoping for a painless August. Ed has an RVing trip planned for my birthday - I think to see a meteor shower. Should be fun - I like relaxing in the motor home.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  10:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Linda, how fun! I will be waiting to hear how the meteor shower was, it is supposed to be a good one.
Have a good day!

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  7:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by TexasGran

We woke up to rain, not heavy, no thunder or lightening...just a slow steady autumn rain most of the day. We took Hadlee to a craft store about 40 miles away. We started this several years ago, because her birthday falls in late August, after she starts to school, she asked if she could have a shopping trip to Michael's for her birthday early in August so she could use her new supplies and make some cards, paint some pictures and signs, etc. She was excited. She as even more excited as she went through her new things in the car as we drove home. I am so pleased about her artistic talent. She does amazing work. She was stenciling the other day and I asked her three times if she was sure she did the piece. It was perfect and the colors were so unusual. I do not enjoy stencil work...mine bleeds...not hers.
We had a fun day.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  9:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is great that she can do that Marilyn.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  9:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, The Farmers Almanac has a very good on line article about the eclipse. Ten Questions About the Eclipse, Answered. Darlene has also shared with me through emails some awesome info, etc. Since we don't see these in the day time...or very rarely see a partial eclipse, I thought you might be interested. I also shared it on my Facebook page.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 02 2017 9:53:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2017 :  06:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, August is here and the Summer has flown by rather quickly. We are having so much rain lately that every day is the same and they are all starting to run together. Lots of tropical moisture blowing in from the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic right now. Off the coast of Cedar Key, which is on the Gulf and about 1 1/2 hours west of us, the water temp is 90 degrees. Lots of energy in those warm waters which foretells that hurricane season is about to get hoppin'!!

My kitty has been sick this past week with a second bout of pancreatitis and still isn't right. He is 14 now and I am beginning to wonder if there is some other serious mischief going on inside his digestive tract somewhere, like cancer. It makes my heart ache because he is so very special to me and hubby. I have another vet appt. this afternoon to see what needs to be done next.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2017 :  12:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Winnie, I am sorry your kitty is not feeling well. We had to put Cookie down last fall. She was almost 16 and could no longer walk. So sad. We still have Mr. Twister who is 16. He sleeps most of the time, thinks it is too much trouble to check for mice and complains when Tillie Marie or Scruffy (little dogs) eat his Meow Mix or drink all the water. We have outside kitties and he watches out the window hoping to see them so he can hiss. A while back when I opened the front door and a little snake was there he really had a Hissy fit to let me know. I told him he did good that day. Pets are family members but sadly they do not live as long as we usually do. Baylee was talking about Friday last night. He was her German Short Haired Bird Dog who died last fall. She told us she would have another one...someday. They have Shadow, the Pit right now and he is a hungry doggie. We have had a lot of pit mixes in our 55 years of marriage, usually dumped or lost or ??? Shadow is a sweetie. He is almost a year old now and no longer tears up everything he sees. I call him gran puppy. I love him.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2017 :  4:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie you can send some of that rain my way. We could use it. Lol...We seem to be in an area that gets missed. The weather patterns are odd here. The good thing is that we don't usually get the really bad storms.

Marilyn, Boy! Can I relate to the dental work. So tired of going to the dentist. I have three different ones... wish I would stop cracking teeth. Good thing I have a bite splint or I probably would not have any teeth at all. Will need another splint soon. This one is getting worn out. They want to wait untill i get my implants before it is replaced. The implants can't be put in for at least 6 months. Have to wait for the bone to grow after the teeth were pulled. Implants are expensive, but the last resort for me. Glad it's only two teeth. Guess I really clench and grind my teeth at night.

Been getting vegetables canned. Pickles, and beans right now. Tomatoes soon I hope. Spaghetti sauce, salsa maybe, tomato vegetable juice. August is filling up fast.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2017 :  03:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will have some yummy things to eat th is winter Brenda. I have made dill and sweet pickles. I did some bags of candy squash and they are frozen. The tomatoes blistered and burst.we had some for eating and they were yum.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2017 :  1:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, why did the tomatoes blister and burst? Too hot?
whew.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2017 :  08:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

I do hope all is well. Not much to report at them moment. I've been in a quiet mood ... Lot's going on, lot's to think about! So many changes!

Keeping you all in my thoughts!

farmgirl Hugs,

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2017 :  4:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, I think you are right. The sun is awfully hot this summer.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2017 :  5:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess if your tomatoes blistered it is too hot, I never saw that happen before.

Have a wonderful day and stay cool.
Blessings

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2017 :  7:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me why our keyboards on tablets no longer have lines around the letters???? This is so difficult to get used to. I keep messing up and that slows me down.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2017 :  10:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, kitties are so dear. Let us know how yours is.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  07:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, afternoon, evening everyone,

I thought I would cover all bases! lol Not much going on at the moment worth mentioning. Perhaps I need to get into some trouble.

Marilyn, wish I could help. I do not have a tablet. Would like one ... it's just not in the budge at the moment.

Catch you later!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  12:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, you know how much I love Fall. Well today, the local Fresh Market store had their new 2017 Pumpkin Spice Coffee!! This has been a favorite of mine for more than a decade and I look forward to it's arrival every year. Plus, they also had their new Root beeswax fall candles with my favorite Mulled Cider. So, despite the fact that it is 90+ degrees outside and debilitatingly humid, I am in the AC enjoying the first mug of the season and the sweet smell of my new candle.

Anyone else longing for a change in the season? If you don't live down here in the South where is gets hot in April, you probably are happy for Summer of continue. But I am just plum tired and worn out from all this heat and humidity. Plus, we have had record rain in June and July and mold is growing everywhere outside. My allergies have been bothering me a lot from all the molds. That being said, we do have some interesting and beautiful mushrooms and toadstools growing in the yard in various places. I do like it when you wake up to a fairy ring in the yard which is quite common now down here.

My kitty seems to be a bit better and we go to the vet again tomorrow for a recheck. We shall see if he continues to stay well and gets his MoJo back!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  12:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They should be coming out with the Pumpkin Spice creamer soon then. Yay looking forward to that.
Happy August Day everyone.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  3:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it Winnie! It feels like Fall here all last week, temps in the low 80"s climbing back to 90 this week! Just a pic I saw on pinterest. love it!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  3:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Autumn....I love Autumn! Punkins' I Love Them Too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4651 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4651 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  6:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love he pumpkin spice creamer - it is so so yummy!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  6:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I need to take a picture of this year's pumpkin patch, it is bigger than last year. It is just green right now but sure is pretty. I will try to remember to do that tomorrow.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2017 :  06:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that photo Connie that you found!! It always feels welcoming and happy at a harvest stand full of pumpkins. I am not sure why, but it just does. For those of you looking for the pumpkin spice creamer, I bet it won't be too much longer now. You know there are lots of others like you checking the grocery isles each week!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2017 :  07:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

Winnie, while you are in the heat of things in Florida, my Aunt Marge is here for her annual "get away from the Florida heat" visit. Always a treat to have her with us. So, I do get where you're coming from. So, crank up the a/c and enjoy your pumpkin coffee .... lol

Here in the way Northeast NY, I cherish all seasons ... our summer as been cooler than usual ... but I'm not complaining. Aunt Marge is all bundled up and here I am in shorts and t-shirt! lol Ah, these southern folks! lol

I will say, I do like that certain products only come out during a season. Have you noticed that almost nothing seems sacred anymore? You can eat corn on the cob all year long ... I don't know, as much as I like corn on the cob it was something I looked forward to having in August. Every year my Uncle would have a corn roast ... family, distant cousins and friends ... what a great time it was. I guess I'm just getting old. I never thought that I'd see the day where I would talk about the "good old days" and how different it was. Things are so different today.

I'm off hand sewing the binding on that quilt and reminiscing about the good old days!

Catch you later, Cheers!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 09 2017 07:05:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2017 :  8:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fall is my favorite season. It will come too soon. I am tired of summer. But...fall is followed by winter and I am not ready for ice and snow yet. But I do enjoy making quilts for the different seasons. I can almost smell that candle Winnie.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page