YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  05:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are events in history that are so life changing we will always remember where we were when we heard the news.

I was born in 1942 and during the 40s & 50s I remember the old folks talking about where they were on Dec 7 when Pearl Harbor was attacked and we were drawn into WWII.

I was 19 years old home sick with mono watching Kennedy's parade on TV as it went through downtown Dallas. I watched as he was shot and in the days ahead I was watching when Ruby shot Oswald.

Brings me to today and 9/11. I was at ladies Bible study in Van Alstyne, TX when we heard the news. We gathered in a circle, prayed, and went home to our families.

Where were you 16 years ago today?

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  06:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was taking care of grandkids, aged 1 and 4, my phone rang. It was my husband telling me, 'you might want to turn the tv on, something big is happening!' They were on their way to a job near Glen Rose. The girls were watching cartoons, so I went to the tv in the sunroom and watched in disbelief! The following Sunday...every church in town had record crowds...but the little old ladies were afraid to go to the beauty shops.
God bless America, land that I love,
Stand beside her and guide her...

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  06:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking my girls to school that morning and came home to watch on TV what they were saying on the radio.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4651 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4651 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  08:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For Kennedy being shot I was in study hall in the library in high school in Illinois. I don't know if a teacher told us or one of the kids had snuck in a radio.

For the OK City bombing of the Federal Building I was at work in Dallas and someone had a radio at their desk.

For 9/11 I was at work in Richardson. One of the instructors had a small television at their desk and shouted that everyone had to come and see what was happening. We all surrounded his cubicle and watched as the towers went down. Then the plane that crashed into the Pentagon and the plane that went down in a field.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  08:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda thank you for reminding us of OK City. Sad to say I don't remember where I was that day. Probably at work and didn't hear until I was home watching the 5 o'clock news.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2017 :  12:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My neighbor told me about Kennedy, over the garden fence. I remember it was a cold gray day here. I was barely pregnant, morning sickness 24/7. I have no idea why I was outside! Watching a bit of 9/11 on TV this morning was a bit like watching a tsunami. Those people looking up the street to see the smoke billowing from the twin towers had no idea they were about to be engulfed in that enormous wave of ash, when the buildings pancaked down! I could not watch it again. There are still notes in the little cook book I was using that morning, a sad reminder.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  05:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was teaching Kindergarten. I remember many of the children had parents who worked in the city so one by one they were picked up and taken home to be with their families. We were told not to tell the children but as soon as they went out for recess (which is when we were told) one of the boys learned of the news from an older child who must have had a cell phone. He probably knew more than what we were told.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  05:50:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is so hard to get bad news when you are teaching. You need to teach but you want and need to know what is going on. It is a difficult balancing act for sure!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  6:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On 9-11, I was working when it hit but it was on the tv when I got home, over and over again. For Kennedy I was in school and then home and saw it on the news then.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2017 :  10:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Kennedy was shot, I was studying in the library at the University of Minnesota. Someone announced it. For 911 I was at a quilt shop 2 hours away from home. The building had a tv and we all watched. It still doesn't seem possible.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Where Were You? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page