Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sittin’ by a warm fire with friends - Nov 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sittin’ by a warm fire with friends - Nov 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 4

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2017 :  9:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG, I cannot believe we’re in November already!!! Next thing you know Christmas will be here in no time!

Catch you all later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  12:06:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm up in the middle of the night, since 1:30, because Annie had to go outside. She's already asleep at my side and I'm wide awake. Hopefully I'll be able to back to sleep soon.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  06:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I do hope you got some decent sleep. There is nothing worse than being awakened after you have had just enough sleep to not be able to fall right back . When I have those episodes, I decorate the inside of this little rental house I had as a nursing student. LOL!! It is way more fun than counting sheep.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  06:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had trouble going to sleep last night. Who would have thought an hour in a pool of warm water, doing prescribed exercises, would leave me so sore and feeling like a limp dish rag!!! My leg hurt! About midnight I took two advil and finally went to sleep, for a while...until my bladder said it was full.
Early yesterday morning my husband said, "Get up! It is a quarter to seven." So I got up, went to the kitchen, where the coffee maker was just finishing up. I got two cups ready and as I turned I noticed the time on the cookstove clock. When I handed him his coffee I said the electricity must have gone off because the kitchen clock said it was 4:57! He then looked at the battery operated clock up above the chiffrobe, and guess what...It said 4:57.!!!!! We had a big laugh! But by evening we were both dragging. A year ago I got up at five ...daily...but as of late....NO!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 02 2017 06:37:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  06:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie that would be a fun way to go back to sleep. I played Mahjong Solitaire until I got sleepy and went to bed. One of my doctors told me along with MS I showed signs of having a silent stroke and to play mental games and work crossword puzzles to keep what I have. So when I am up at 2 a.m. and playing commuter games I am just following doctor's orders. lol

Marilyn, sorry your leg bothered you and kept you awake. Hope today is a better day for you.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  07:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

Well, I have to vent here a bit ... Halloween in my neighbourhood has become pathetic! I love this holiday, and always make treat bags full of good candies ... I want to be know as the house that hands out lots of wonderful treats (gosh I think I spend like $75 on candies and what not to make these bags - I did send 17 bags to Pumpkin). Would you believe I had two, and that's only TWO kids show up at my door. So I decided to take a bag of treats and do a reverse trick or treating ... take a walk around the neighbourhood and hand out bags to the kids I see .... I only saw four kids ... What I did notice was the fact that there were very little houses with their lights on! I think I may have seen like 10 houses in my one hour power walk. I now understand why most kids go to the other village to walk the street. How sad! How pathetic! Ok, I'm done venting!

Not much else going on here. This weekend I'm headed off to Geneseo to visit Pumpkin. I'm looking forward to this road trip. I'll do my usual stop in Albany (three hour drive), visit Barnes & Nobles, enjoy a cheese cake at the Cheese Cake Factory and take off for another three hour drive to my destiny! I'll be back on Sunday. Pumpkin and I will go out to dinner on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing her and getting hugs! lol

That's all for now. Catch you all later!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9305 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9305 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  12:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are so far out Carole that we do not have anyone stop. We never have since we've lived here. Even the kids in our neighborhood never went out when they were little.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  5:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't have any Trick or Treaters here in North Georgia as we live so far apart that the kids really can't go. So our town closes the two main streets and the store owners, or whomever wants to hand out goodies to the kids can do so. The Church's in town usually do "Trunk or Treat" as well. It's a huge family affair, including dogs dressed in costumes. We usually go and just enjoy the festivities. Carole, I'm sorry you didn't have more visitors :(! My sister and BIL, who live in MA usually have a ton of kids and they had none this year. But their little town is doing the same as our town!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  10:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My street doesn't have any trick or treaters but even if it did I would turn off my front porch light. Late evenings are hi-fatigue times for me so I don't want to be bothered. It's much safer for kids to trunk treat at churches and schools.

My sister Betty and I went to a living estate sale this morning. A lady in her 80's is selling 3 houses of 30 years of collecting. This week it was the first house on the corner. In Dec it will be the middle house and in early 2018 it will be the two story house. Today's house was filled with glass and china ware which I wasn't interested in. I did find two vintage pictures I collect. The dark teal-blue ones. I see them in English cottages and manor houses in British mysteries on PBS. I also bought a yellow print quilted chicken toaster cover. Spent a total of $7.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  7:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halloween in
Loleta also has changed through the years, all, the kids grew up or go trick or treating in Ferndale r other towns. We used to have a big todo at the Firemens pavilion. No more. Now the school has a trunk or treat, this year I brought my candy and sat at someone else's car. There were about 110 students and I got to see all the cute costumes and cute trunks. It was good,

Sara that sound like some nice things you came home with for a good price and fun too.

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  10:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't get trick or treators either, not since our girls got too big to want costumes, etc. Although B and T did dress up as Indians, Hadlee did their face paint, so they could attend a party given by their friends. The college used to have Trick or Treat the dorms, now they put on a carnival type event a couple of days early. The businesses around the square give out candy on Halloween. Carole I think a lot of parents are afraid to let their kids to out. Too many bad guys out there.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  10:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been cleaning up my sewing room (house). Sorting through so much stuff. I can't work but about an hour, then my back makes me sit or lie down for a bit. It has been fun, and also interesting to unearth things I had forgotten I had, like all the black lace I found today. Also in a box marked Fancies, I found velvet, satin, lining fabrics and so many hearts cut out, many pinned together ready to sew...why???what on earth was I going to make with them??? Seventeen years ago, when Hadlee came along my sewing room Missed Me! I Was So Busy Caring For Little Ones I Had No Time To Sew. Since I Joined MJF Swaps, I have been sewing at the dining table. I Have really Created A Monster THere. I Am Hopeful that I Can Get everything back In The place It Really belongs Before Thanksgiving. I used to sew for my family and friends, so I have lots of tubs of scraps of fabric. About ten years ago I bought middle sized tubs and sorted by colors. I was having fading problems with fabrics stacked on shelves. Why did I save all of those scraps???...because I wanted to cut and sew little pieces together to make quilts. This is the first year I have not worked, so maybe it is time to piece some quilt tops.I hope so!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 03 2017 10:29:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  10:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you had a good time in the sewing room Marilyn, I bet it was kind of like Christmas.
Sara feel better!
Winnie, your rental house sounds cute!
Carole your right and then 2017 will be over.
Everyone have a good week end.
Love you all

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  12:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

How are you all doing? It's been a busy week for me. On Friday my BFF took me out to lunch at my favourite restaurant Anthony's. They make the most amazing pecan pie! Oh, I have to tell you a story .... I understand that the south makes a mean pecan pie, being a pecan pie lover (never made one as of yet) when I was in Houston, I decided to order a slice at the Magnolia Hotel/restaurant. Gosh, was I disappointed! For one thing, they had no vanilla ice cream and for $10.00 the piece of pie was as small as could be. I think it had four bites in total. Massive disappointment! Oh well, perhaps in another southern state! lol

Saturday morning I left for Geneseo to visit Pumpkin. I did my usual pit stops. Had a wonderful dinner at the Big Tree Inn, an 1850 tavern/Inn that has been renovated. The decor is beautiful. Drove home on Sunday. It was nice to catch up with Pumpkin.

Marilyn, good for you to be back in your sewing room. I just took some time to clean mine. I'm still dealing with Fibre stuff all over the place. I still cannot find two projects. I'm sure they'll pop up soon.

Catch you all later!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  2:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention that back in mid October, I worked at a soup kitchen for the first time. I've always wanted to volunteer my time but just didn't know how to go about it. The opportunity jumped on my lap ... here is a picture of the crew! I'm the one with the fuchsia shirt and the wild apron!

I enjoyed my experience tremendously and do plan on doing more. Our group cooks the third Wednesday of the month.

Thank you for allow me to share!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  2:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great picture, Carole. Proud of you for volunteering.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9305 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9305 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  06:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,
Sounds like you had a wonderful relaxing visit!
Wonderful that you could spend some time volunteering.
I have been wondering what I will do with myself after we finish working on the house. Seriously considering a pt. job or volunteering somewhere.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  7:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Volunteering will keep you busy, have fun with what you do though.
I got into volunteering with the Community and have been in it for years. It is good though.
Good for learning new things too.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  4:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing your latest volunteering experience! It is a good feeling to spend time helping others and making a difference.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  7:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  06:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never know when you will run into a man who recognizes a FarmGirl when he sees one. This morning I met Charlie who has a home remodeling and repair business. He came to give me an estimate on some work I need done on east outside wall. I answered the door in my apron and went outside to show him what needed to be done. Part of the work is to replace a support beam on Yellow Rose Cottage's porch. I told him that's where I can.

His wife gardens and cans all their veggies and soups. She has taught their youngest son who is raising his two kids how to garden and can. Her grandsons also can and they all wear aprons.

I told him I can dried beans so he will tell his wife. He wants his wife to meet me and see my cottage. I very much want to meet her and learn from her. A woman who has taught boys to can has to be a FarmGirl for sure.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9305 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9305 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2017 :  07:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great experience Sara! So great when we can meet others who are of like minds!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  05:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful conversation, Sara! I hope you can connect :)

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  05:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry I've been out of the loop. Carole, fuchsia is certainly your color! I will be a better sister and keep up with things. I hope everyone is doing well. Marilyn, I understand how the crafting thing can take over the house. Right now with doing shows it looks like a craft bomb went off...in the LR, DR, Craft room, spare BR - no place is safe, LOL. Good luck with your cleaning up and sorting through!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  08:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am back on U.S. dry land after 14 days at sea. We got home yesterday, and had a great cruise. We met some very nice people and saw some very interesting places. I managed to come home with heavy allergies or a cold - really not sure which. I've been coughing up fur balls for the last 5-6 days and have a sinus headache, a stiff neck on one side, and other aches and pains. Going halfway through the Panama Canal was wonderful - Ed has posted some pictures of our crossing that we bought on board. They were taken by a National Geographic photographer who was on the ship and who took a helicopter ride to photograph our time in the locks.

This cruise was interesting in that it was a Carnival Journey cruise - Journey cruises are longer (usually 10-14 days) and go to some places that are not usually on an itinerary. Our cruise ship was also interesting in that there were over half of the almost 3000 passengers who were Diamond (top tier) or Platinum (next to top tier) level. These levels have special perks like priority boarding and debarkating, so when we got home, they had to alter the usual plan of leaving the ship to prevent bottlenecks. Another interesting thing about this cruise was that there were only 204 passengers who had never cruised before, and - only 37 children on board.

We played a lot of table-top shuffleboard, bean bag toss, and trivia games. We played Bingo a few times, too. We went on quite a few excursions, but I could not go on a couple I had wanted to - they said that my hip replacement put me on the "better to not do this" list. These were zip lining and water rapids. Ed did go zip lining and enjoyed it.

I really have a lot of catching up to do - I have 1500 unread emails - we did not pay for Internet on the ship - the cost was $246 for 2 weeks for one of us (I think we could have shared) and people said it was pretty slow, since here were just under 3000 passengers and a lot of them used the Internet a LOT!

Sara - sounds like you may have met another great farmgirl.
Winnie - your rental house sounds like a fun place.
Marilyn - You sound like me - my dining table is always covered with my latest projects. My sewing house is not organized enough to use, but I do hope to get it organized this year. Time will tell, I guess, to see if that actually happens.
Carole - since I live in the county we are too far apart and do not get any trick or treat kids. As in other areas, the churches have trunk or treat events and the towns of Greenville and Emory have similar events for the kiddos. And the soup kitchen sounds like a great volunteer opportunity for you.
Katie - How did your hospital stay go? I have a lot of catching up to do.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  09:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome home Linda you have been missed. Sounds like you and Ed had a great time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sittin’ by a warm fire with friends - Nov 2017 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page