Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 October Learning together:The Jack-o-Lantern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic October Learning together:The Jack-o-Lantern Next Topic
Page: of 2

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2652 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2652 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2019 :  1:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene!!! I'm so glad to see you on here! I went to mail you a package today and didn't realize that it was Columbus Day and the post office was closed. It will go out tomorrow!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4646 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4646 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2019 :  1:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Same here, Debbie. Halfway to the PO I had an idea that the PO would be closed - and it was. Am I psychic? LOL! A bunch of packages and cards to different people will be sent tomorrow.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2652 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2652 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2019 :  1:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad that I wasn't the only one!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2019 :  4:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're not alone Linda and Debbie. I went to the PO to check the box for the business and when I got in front of the turn there I realized it was closed. This after telling myself earlier in the day that mail wouldn't run today because of Columbus day.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2019 :  4:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loved that Winnie!
Hey Darlene!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2019 :  6:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had that same post office problem. Since when is the PO closed on Columbus day? I don't believe it's a national holiday. When I was young(er) we had to go to school but the Catholic schools were closed.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2019 :  6:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected -- I looked it up and apparently it is a federal and state holiday. I would prefer Indigenous Peoples day.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4646 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4646 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2019 :  6:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It always has been a Federal Holiday and I remembered yesterday when I was halfway to the Post office. So today I mailed the cards and packages I had.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2019 :  9:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm laughing at everyone's comments. I guess Columbus day is so ingrained in my mind, due to teaching kids, making art projects, reading books to the kids about him, etc for most of my life, there is no way I will forget. But it used to happen on the 12th. Fire Prevention week usually started on or about the 8th.f

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  06:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes federal holiday. The banks were closed as well.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  10:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to Jack-o-Lanterns, how many of you love to carve a face and out it on your porch for Halloween? I have a couple of stone pumpkins that I have collected over the years, but nothing makes me happier that to carve a fun face and put a candle inside. There is something very rewarding when it gets dark and the pumpkin face welcomes everyone who comes to my door. Spooky fun !! I don't think I ever grew up!! LOL!! My Mom used the pumpkin meat from our jack-o-lantern and cooked it up for pies. But today, I prefer pie pumpkins and other pie varieties that have a less stringy meat and a deeper flavor. What about you? Do you have a favorite variety of pumpkin to make pies with? If so, what are they? Our Seminole pumpkins in Florida, which ripen by August, are relatives of Butternut squash with a dark meat and great flavor. I still have enough frozen from last year to make one more pie. Currently, I have a white pumpkin and a pie pumpkin for decorations that will be turned into pie meat at the end of November. They say white pumpkins are good pie meat but I have never tried them before. What about you?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  11:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Sugar Pie pumpkins. They are just the right size for the two of us. Back in the days of houseful of kids I used to get the big ones, don't know the name but it was back before all of the fancy variety we have now. Some years we grew our own. We would carve them and put candles in then the day after Halloween I would cut them up, make a couple of pies and pumpkin bread and freeze the rest.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  11:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halloween history -- way back when a few hundred years ago in England people carved turnips. That seems scarier than pumpkins.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  4:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to use blue pumpkins for pie. So good! We had some given to us a few years ago. Not stringy at all cooked up so nice and smooth.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  07:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's going to be here tomorrow. My grandkids already went out last Saturday so won't be going out tomorrow. So many of the townships decide which day they can go now so they have to go when they say. Kind of takes the fun away but when it falls on a weekday they prefer the Saturday before so it doesn't end up in November. We don't get anyone anyway. We may go over and have an evening with the kids.
The lady next door to them has a pumpkin decorating party so they go to that every year too. She is all by herself and my kids kind of keep an eye on things and her. She loves the grands.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  07:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So your grands have an extra grandma! That is awesome! I only had one grandma, who did not live close by. My grand kids just had me for The longest time, because the other grandparents did not care! My DIL said they already had five so #6 and #7 were not exciting. Neither were her sisters two boys who came along after our two girls. She did not care about the girls but they became her care givers during the last 3 years of her life. She did not have a clue who they were and was often ugly to them. She is gone now.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  12:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only had one grandma who lived half a country away. I only saw her 6 or 7 times in my life. But I did have an "Aunt" Sophie, who wasn't really an aunt but had me over for weekends and let me rummage through her stuff for goodies. I was "helping" her in her garden the first time I ever saw a toad -- that thing was gigantic; haven't seen one as big as that since. She never had kids of her own and used to have parties for the neighborhood kids. A genuine good soul. I was so sad when she passed.
Halloween here is pretty low key, not like it used to be. I kind of miss it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2652 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2652 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  1:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I love this picture of my great grandma and grandma and mom. I was about 10 months old in this picture. It was taken at Christmas at my great grandma's. She lived until I was about 21. She was the sweetest..just what you would think of when you think of "grandma".
I really need to get another 4 generation picture of my mom, myself, my daughter and my granddaughter, who will be 2 this Christmas. We need to make a point to get that done this year!
I believe God brings people into our lives for so many reasons, sometimes to fill gaps where others are missing. I've had a few people in my life like that. I'm so glad you had your aunt Sophie, Judith!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9287 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9287 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  06:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grandmas abound! Yes, she is sort of like another grandma. The local grands don't see their other grandma too often as she lives far. But they do keep in touch. We are all on Facebook.
This lady, they call her Miss Connie, lives right next door. The back of her house faces the side of their's so they can keep an eye on pretty much everything that goes on at her place. It is a blessing and she is a blessing to them. She lives alone and they can do things for her when she needs something quick. Her son looks in on her and she calls him when she needs something but so good to have helpful neighbors.

Debbie,
I hope you do get a picture. My mom is gone now but I believe we did get a four generation when my oldest granddaughter was born. We have a picture of my mother in law, husband, 2nd daughter and her daughter so that is nice. I'll see if I can find and share those photos.
Hope everyone has a happy, safe day!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic October Learning together:The Jack-o-Lantern Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page