Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 November Learning: Giving Thanks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic November Learning: Giving Thanks Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  11:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is so much one could talk about in our many diverse traditions surrounding Thanksgiving Day. This year, it falls on Thursday, November 28th. To refresh my memory of how we got to this celebration, I did a quick look at Wikipedia and learned some new information.

The first accounts of a Thanksgiving celebration were recorded at Jamestown, VA. in 1607. Jamestown was the first permanent established English colony . The month and dates moved around in Virginia for various reasons but there was always an emphasis on a harvest event to give thanks.

In October of 1621, the Pilgrims gave thanks in a celebration along with the Wampanoag Indians who had helped them plant and learn where to gather food in the new lands.

On 11/28/1782, National Days of Prayer were established under George Washington and in 1789, he proclaimed an official day of Thanksgiving.

The dates of Thanksgiving sometimes varied in the different states and it was Abraham Lincoln who made Thanksgiving Day a Federal Holiday in 1863. During the strife of the Civil War, Lincoln was trying to set aside at least one day that all Americans could come together in thanks.

However, again, some states chose not to go with the Federal Holiday and it wasn't until FDR signed into law and passed by the Congress in 1941 that Thanksgiving Day would always be the fourth Thursday of November and a Federal Holiday.

In continued reading, the traditions of the day have historically included the following: charity, giving thanks to God, vacations, parades, and today's football games and early shopping.

Let's look at the first two traditions, charity and giving thanks to God for our sharing and learning together. From my earliest days of childhood, I remember canned food drives, church baskets of foods for needy families, and warm coat drives for those without. In my church, the First Presbyterian Church, we used to collect can goods and coats in our Sunday School classes and take them to the Fellowship Hall where they were being collected to distribute the Tuesday or Wednesday before Thanksgiving. November also included an extra opportunity for tithing which the church used for specific needs of elderly and other members.

I find that those same food and tithing drives exist today within many organizations for Thanksgiving. In addition, there are also opportunities to volunteer to cook serve, and clean up a traditional Turkey Dinner at places that serve the homeless and needy in our community.

Giving Thanks is a tradition that has grown in importance to me as I have aged more. Age has given me first had experiences in hard times, the help and support of family and friends, the beauty of peace and the fragility of life. Today, as an Episcopalian, I follow the month of November as one of honoring our loved ones who have passed, our many blessings , and an opportunity to set aside time to remember all of the good things in life and give thanks and do more to preserve those good things for others.

In my little LogCabin, I have a small corner where I keep a little faith center. It changes according to what I feel is important for me to keep in my thoughts and prayers. For November, I placed a small print of Saint Therese of Lisieux, from France. She died at age 25, but in her years as a practicing nun, she became one of the greatest saints of modern times. She was known for her simple, "Little Way" of doing small everyday things with great love. I have had the privilege of visiting several of the old churches in France that are named in her honor. Therese was deeply devoted to God and kind ways of love. Today, she is one of the most popular Saints along with St. Frances. Here is what struck me about her brief life. When we speak of Charity, it does not have to mean money or canned goods or anything else. If we do small acts always with love, then we have the opportunity to brighten someone's day every day. Charity is about recognizing the basic goodness of each person and making sure that we respect and honor them no matter how different they are from us. Kindness is always available if we choose to use it. It is through kindness and charity that we help to build a more just and peaceful world. Therese of Lisieux reminds us that we always have that opportunity through our relationship with the God of our choice.

My little faith center also includes some old photos of my family and my only set of Grandparents. I have so many wonderful memories of growing up and the different roles played by my family members. It is through their small acts of love and kindness that have given me the examples of what it means to love and care for others. I was truly blessed by being in such a family as many people have torn families and real struggles to be successful.

I would love it if you would share your memories of Thanksgiving time and how you learned about Charity and Giving thanks.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4646 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4646 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  12:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Winnie. Great research.

Thanksgiving was always a family celebration with my dad's brother and his family. We met at our house and it was a fun time to see and play with my cousins. We always had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, sweet kraut, rolls/butter, and pies for dessert.

I agree with Winnie that I have seen more importance in giving thanks and volunteering when I can. I was involved in Altrusa International, a womens (formerly all women, now there are some men who are members) and we were always involved in various volunteering events. I found it felt better to volunteer and I got more out of the experience than the person or organizations we were helping.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9286 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9286 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  1:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanksgiving has always been a time of family, giving thanks and for helping others in need. Though through the church we try to do that all year long to meet needs in the community. My parents always impressed upon us the importance of gratefulness. Not only for material things but for the people and experiences we've had throughout the year. Thanksgiving was and is a time when we gather with family and audibly share some of the ways we have been blessed. With family spread out we only manage to do this with local family. I have been thinking that it would be a good time to let those in our lives know what makes them important to us. Whether a phone call or letter it seems it would also encourage someone else.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2019 :  07:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Growing up, our family did not do much for others at all... unless there was some type of recognition or "reward" given back... I remember searching for ways to do for others, and my parents always saying no, or that I, as an individual, couldn't make a difference. For some reason, I was blessed with the sentimental, empathetical heart that constantly wants to do for others. Since we have had children, I have strived to do as much "community service" as I possibly can, and preferably unanimously. I take helping others and being grateful for what we have, extremely seriously and pray that each of my children will also have a heart for others!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  5:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have one Burr Oak tree that I started from a big acorn from the golf course, in the town, where I used to teach. A few days ago my husband brought in some acorns from my tree, then yesterday he brought in a bag from Lowes. Curious I looked in the bag and there were some huge acorns. He said they fell from a tree where they are working. This afternoon I went out side to get some Burr Oak leaves, they were mixed with all of the pecan leaves...that fell last night and this morning. I guess the pecan trees which are the last tree to leaf out in spring, got caught with its leaves still on and temperatures in the teens, so they quickly disrobed and went into hibernation.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  5:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Growing up in a large Baptist church had a lot to do with my giving spirit. Then there was my mother, always giving of herself, because we just did not have money to spare. She would cook for our family, and if someone was sick, she took food to them. Of course we always made a cake for a grieving family. In college my room mates mother always sent us a box at the first of each month. It had a cake, some cookies, and a bag of popcorn and some shortening for the corn popper. I have always loved to surprise people. You know...good surprises...like making something for them or baking or cooking or just popping in to sweep their floor and visit a minute.
Sending them a card when they do not expect it is another way. My hubby gives good gifts, but there are strings attached.. I think that when you give a gift you give it and forget it. Sometimes someone says something years later and I do not recall what they are speaking about...
My son and I were talking about this subject last week. He did not remember that in the 2008 downturn of the economy, he had passed a good job on to another good carpenter who had no work at all. My son and his crew had a job that lasted two years, so he blessed another man and his crew.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  7:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe there is only ONE God. There are many different religions but only one God. He is my best friend. I talk to God a lot. Sometimes it is in a formal prayer...but I keep conversation going always...it is not audible, always but I am thinking. As I've gotten older I say thank you for things some would consider silly. I thank God for the little brown 'chipmunk pecans that he points out to me. ( they have darker brown streaks and remind me of cute little chipmunks.) I thank God for keeping me safe as I drive. He has saved my life so many times. I thank Him when my body eliminates its waste...because sometimes I am constipated. I have learned that all of my good or great ideas come from God! The ladies I taught with called me the idea person...every time someone said " We have to do this or that...I would open my mouth and give my input/idea to solve our problem, which they usually thought was great... but God gave me every one. So I am very blessed!
God taught me about patience. When I had to go into the hospital through day surgery, every MWF in October several years ago to heal the incision below my knee, using a wound vac...some days they got to me pretty early and I was home by lunch time. But one day I was there waiting for hours and hours. I never complained. I had magazines to read, hand work to work on etc. The new doctor, who was supposed to do my procedure that day had been called to another hospital, leaving my doctor with a bunch of extra surgeries on top of his full schedule.
One day an older woman was being admitted for her day surgery. She was so ugly to everyone, had a hissy fit and stomped out. No surgery that day for her.
One day a nurse came into my room where I was waiting, she had just had a bad experience with another patient. She did not say a word but I could tell she was down. I told her I was so sorry that some folks don't know God, or how to treat otbers. I told her that in my opinion nurses are like angels...and should be respected.
I know that nurses and doctors have knowledge and training that the average person has no idea about.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 12 2019 7:07:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  11:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was raised to help others and to pay attention to my conscience. I prefer my charitable donations to be anonymous when possible, however an accountant said I should get receipts for tax purposes but I haven't done that yet. Many people are so mercenary and don't want to do anything unless there is something for it in them. The other night I had the front door open as the weather was nice and mild. I heard someone crying outside. I went out to see if I could help. It was an old woman with a walker who was unhappy where she was living. I patted her on the shoulder and let her talk, giving her suggestions for help like the senior center and county services. She calmed down and said she was going to her sons house to spend the night. She was just heading down the street when DH came home. He told me later she was a burnt out old druggie. Well, she looked old but she is 8 years younger than me. It's a good thing we don't have a spare room or I probably would have invited her to stay until she got life straightened out. Even burnt out old druggies need a little kindness. The other day it was a frazzled check out clerk at Lowes, the only one as they installed self checkouts that no one wants to use so her line was very long. Everyone was complaining to her. The poor thing had no control over the situation; There was no other clerk to call. She needed some sympathy and kind words, we even got a smile from her.
I keep reminding my husband, and sometimes myself, that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. And most of the time it's free.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  03:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith you are right...people who work in/with the public are often abused verbally. I always try to compliment my Wal-Mart checker. And when I see that big smile brighten up their face, replacing that furrowed brow for just a bit...I thank God. They are humans, mostly young college students in our store. Yet in a neighboring town, with a huge retirement community, most of the workers are middle aged to older adults. I try to remember that they need to work, and being kind to them costs me nothing.
I will never forget being in line at our local grocery store, several years ago. An older couple was in front of me...and that old man would not leave! He had decided they had overcharged him, because some product rang up at $1.99 rather than $1.97...that is right, 2¢, but he demanded, not nicely either, that he get to see the manager.
I felt sorry for his wife, who had told him softly that it was only 2¢, why get upset! But you know when the clerk handed him 2¢ he still was not happy. He was a very crotchety old man.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 13 2019 03:18:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9286 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9286 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  06:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sure doesnt cost anything to be kind. You never know what someone is going through.

Winnie, thank you for this thread. It's always good to be reminded to be thankful.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  08:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So true.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9286 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9286 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2019 :  04:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are soon coming up on Thanksgiving day. I think this whole month has been such a good reminder to be thankful and hopefully is ingrained in our lives so much that we practice giving and thankfulness throughout the year. I am grateful for each one of you here in the henhouse and those I've come to know on the main forum. I know I am a better person because of knowing and learning from each of you.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2019 :  05:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is true Denise. I have always given to others. In the hen house I have learned too. I love the way we share our lives, our experiences, our weather and prayers. Thank you my sweet friends!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2652 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2652 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2019 :  08:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said, girls!
I am so thankful for ALL of you! I have learned so much from all of you. Your posts brighten my day! I feel like we are a family.
Judith, I so agree with you about giving anonymously. I think that's how it should be. It isn't right when someone "gives" but has to be tooting their own horn when they do it.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2019 :  2:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been enjoying all of your responses and thoughts to this topic! I too am grateful for all of the Farmgirl community. It has brought me years of fun, friendship, learning, and support. There is no doubt that my life is better for MJF in my life!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic November Learning: Giving Thanks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page