Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 A Merry and Bright December~2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic A Merry and Bright December~2019 Next Topic
Page: of 6

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  03:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am downsizing again this year. I found a smaller tree to use. With all the kids and grandkids here we need something that won't take up to much space. I want there to be room for everyone. We won't actually be doing our family thing till 2 days after Christmas,but still need room. I am not getting everything out this year. For one I won't have help. I will do my snowmen and my sister's. We both had a small collection and the tree and wreaths but that is all. I really just love to use candles for decor. I still have loads of ornaments to go through and get rid of. Lots of Hallmark I bought when working there. Some I already gave to my kids. After we got the smaller tree, it's 6ft and small in diameter, I thought I should have gotten a 4ft and set it up on a small round table I have. Maybe as time goes by and we downsize more we will get to that.
We plan to have Christmas here just the 2 of us unless my son makes it and then we will go to my daughter's Christmas day.
I really enjoy having it all here but it is so much work sometimes.

I still have a few small gifts to get and then I am going to enjoy my time baking some goodies for gifts to friends and neighbors.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 04 2019 03:32:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  06:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like everyone else, I find myself with to much stuff. I downsized a lot last year as I was packing it all away and this year it will be the same. I prefer decorating with lots of natural elements. I would be happy to eliminate a few more totes from my storage room. I agree with you Denise, it is a lot of work to take it out and put it away and this year I just don't have the time.
Shannon, how is your sick goat?
We had the grandkids elementary Christmas Concert last night. It is always a fun way to help kick off the holiday season. Our school is so small we have coffee and Christmas goodies afterward so everyone can visit. This year has been so busy in our community that it was good to see many of the neighbors we haven't seen for so long.
Have had a lot of office work when I have free time the last few days, yuck. But we have a tax appointment next week that I need to prepare for and of course I am behind in the book work.
Did anyone do any Black Friday shopping? I am done with Christmas, but we always use those sales for house and farm necessesities if the price is right. Sure glad we now have the option of doing it online.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  07:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,we always go to Home Depot and Lowes on Black Friday, for things for our place. They are 35 miles away.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  10:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! These stories of friends and families that decorate everything for Christmas are amazing! I'm nowhere near that! The only thing I have in every room are kids, hahaha! We have four tubs of "stuff" but that includes ornaments for the tree and a couple winter blankets. We are not at the point of downsizing too much, yet. When the children get a home of their own, they will each get a box of their ornaments <3. Every year they get a new one, so they should have close to 20 to start their own traditions.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  1:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, you are lucky they are that close. Lowes is 75 miles away and Home Depot is 120. Good thing shopping on line is so easy.
Shannon, I did the same thing for my kids. A new ornament every year. Once they left home my tree was a little bare as their ornaments went with them. But I have enjoyed finding special ornaments when we travel so our tree holds lots of memories.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Dec 04 2019 6:20:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  6:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are far away from those two stores Julie. How far are you from Menards?
Shannon, one day your kids will enjoy having their box of ornaments to decorate their own trees in their grown up homes. When my husband got our tree in the stand and poured the water in, Mr. Twister came to inspect. I told him that he was not to even think about jumping on or climbing the tree. You see that is how all of my glass ornaments got broken...way back when our son was about 15. Three big kittens thought the tree was just for them. They must have waited until we were at the basket ball game. The third time...they had to learn to live out in the cold and I made some fabric ornaments.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  7:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had the kitten and Christmas tree experience several times. Securing the tree to the wall with clothesline kept the tree upright but they still climbed it and knocked ornaments all over the place. The next kitten Christmas I cut a nice bare branch from the ash tree, spray painted it white, hung ornaments and lights, and hung it from the ceiling. It was sure different but pretty. But ornaments were still being found on the floor. One morning I walked into the living room just in time to see one of the kittens take a flying leap from the back of the sofa and whacking an ornament. You just can't outsmart the little critters. After that it was just a small tree anchored to the wall with unbreakable ornaments.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  9:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cats are so curious, so smart, and love to run and chase round things especially.That was funny that you caught the kitty jumping to slap the pretties. I laughed out loud.
Mr. Twister is 18 but if he gets excited, he runs through the house. That is when I tell him if is not fair that he gets around so well as an elderly old fart. In the past, when he was so nosey I would call him Cleo. ( My mother in law was Cleo and she was nosey.) I can not bring the clean laundry from the dryer and fold it on the table in the kitchen, without him watching closely. As soon as I leave the room with my arms full of clean pieces to put away...he quietly reaches for something...and when I come back, quickly, he is laying on his new find! He has a fleece throw under The table to sleep on...so I rescue whatever he has stollen.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 04 2019 9:18:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  05:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
These are great cat stories, and tell the true nature of cats.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  05:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, Im glad you enjoyed the kitty cat stories.
Last night I heard barking, big deep barks. Finally I got up to look. Lacey the cow dog, who is huge...was in front of the igloo where the outside kitty brothers sleep. She wanted them to get out so she could squeeze her hugeness in there...which she has done but it is a very tight fit. I yelled at her to go in the old garage where she has no less than three nests made.She obeyed.
I don't understand why she is the way she is.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 05 2019 05:54:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  12:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ways of animals are often very mysterious and curious, but always interesting and sometimes amusing. My life without my cat family would be dull indeed.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  4:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the first year in 32 we haven't gotten our tree up on December 2nd. My son wasn't here and I've been busy. But at least he got his tree up that day to carry on the tradition.
I'm still trying to downsize. We have a piano going out this weekend. I have a couple of sewing machine to get rid of, a treadle and an old Singer electric. I just don't use them anymore and the I can always get a keyboard to replace the piano. I have my mom's Singer that I am hanging on to and a portable I bought a few years ago.
How does this stuff accumulate. I have so much furniture in here and it is making me claustrophobic. Time to go.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  5:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Denise. I need to whittle down my sewing machines before the move. I want to get rid of several of my sewing machines: a French-made hand crank, a Singer 128 electric, an older Singer with Cams, a White, and a Gimbel (yes, sold by the Gimbel Department Stores).

We close on the house tomorrow, so I have also been thinking about where different pieces of furniture will be going - what will fit where, what I will keep, and what I might get rid of before we move. We have a bed for each bedroom, even though we are planning to get a king size bed to replace the queen we have.

Lots to do and I also need to start packing, since we leave for Germany next Thursday the 12th.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  7:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to miss you Linda. But I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip. How is your face healing?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  7:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are having a Merry and Bright December...for sure. Bay graduates tomorrow and her penning/pinning is Saturday. She tested today. I asked how she did. She said she scored ad high as she could...it was to see if they can pass the state nursing exam. She had made 100s on her last tests so I think she is ready. She said it may be after Christmas before she can take the state boards...due to paper work that the college must do.
I am so excited. She is too. I asked Triston if he was happy that she is through with school and he said YES! With a big smile.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  7:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does Bay have a nursing job lined up? Close to home? Congratulations on her graduation.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 05 2019 7:34:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  7:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She has been hired to do med surge where she did her Clinicals. I think she may begin Feb.1st or around that time. She interviewed in San Antonio, and was supposed to go to Lubbock to interview there too. But they talked it over and decided they want to stay in this area for now. Or until she gets her BS finished. She told me several months ago that they would eventually like to be about half way between here and Shreveport where his mother lives.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  8:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to Bay! Starting work in Feb. will give her a chance to rest up a bit before work starts.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  8:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So true judith. She needs to rest.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2019 :  2:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to Bay, Marilyn.

I managed to get rid of the treadle and other old Singer. My daughter is going to take them.
I called around and no one was interested so I had decided to take them to the church thrift but then decided I should offer them to my daughter. So glad she is taking them.

So once the piano is out of the family room and machines are out of the spare room and dining room we should be able to move around a bit better.

I have to be ruthless when shedding stuff or it gets to be too much. I don't know how we accumulated so much furniture. I need to do the same with my dishes too. So many old ones from my parents plus what I already had is just too many.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2019 :  11:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, my mother had an old pretty plate collection hung on the walls in her kitchen. Some were big roses and others tiny. Well after she moved to heaven, she did not need her vintage. Plates. But I also had a collection from my antiquing and flea market finding.
So I boxed up two sets for the kids someday. I gave Julie a set and kept a set for myself. We use them as our Sunday dishes sometimes...

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 10 2019 7:54:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2019 :  12:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, it looks like your post was cut off. Or were you meaning you took hers.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 07 2019 3:19:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2019 :  2:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Marilyn. Please finish your post. It sounds interesting.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2019 :  4:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to Bay, Marilyn!! We desperately need more nurses in the US!! I have been reading that the shortage is growing larger and larger every year. It is a hard profession and not appealing to as many people now because there are so many more degrees and occupations for young adults to major in and pursue.

Linda, have a great time on your trip!! It sounds like a lot of fun. We did a similar river cruise and ended up in Prague for a few days and the trip was totally awesome! I bet it is going to be fun to see Germany in the Winter. Nothing like enjoying lots of gingerbread in every bakery!! Divine!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2019 :  8:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Winnie. Bay is back to her carpenter work, with her dad right now.
She now has a degree on Science, one in Nursing and is a certified nurses aide but works as a carpenter's helper...of course she can ride horses really good too, and when the farrier comes to trim and shoe horses...she is right there. I love her.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic A Merry and Bright December~2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page