Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 A Merry and Bright December~2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic A Merry and Bright December~2019 Next Topic
Page: of 6

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2019 :  9:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a beautiful day and will do it again on Saturday when the rest get here. Our tree won't come down until after the new year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  10:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a wish book in the mail today! I don't always order from them. I like them. I enjoy the Catalog during the Winter! the others will be along soon!
Had 8 people for Christmas lunch. My father-in-law came, he will be 90 January 5th. I'm still tired. But enjoyed seeing family, I don't see them much.
My tree never comes down before Super Bowl Sunday! LOL! It just brightens up those Dreary January days! Out here in the country nobody minds seeing it in the window. I put away everything else, and pack away most ornaments a box at a time and just leave the tree up with the lights on. I don't get in a hurry amymore much, just because I can't!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  11:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoy the tree, unless it is drying up why not.

Love you all
Blessings and hugs for you all.
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  11:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your tree with lights is probably pretty, Connie. I used to leave mine up until super bowl...but it really was dry. I find that putting it out right after Christmas I have so much less mess. The needles stay on the tree better. If I had an artificial tree, it would stay up.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  11:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie gave me the big thick catalogue from Baker Creek as a Christmas gift. It is so neat. I would never have spent $13.00 on it but it gives so much history and info...I think it was worth it. I got that catalogue today also. I love seed catalogues.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  3:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

We were in Home Depot two days before Christmas when I saw some Amaryliss in bags that were too small. $6.98/ marked down to half off. So I decided these two could come home with me. I actually expected the red one to bloom first, after all it stood up straight very quickly! First they soaked in a bowl of water while I went out doors to borrow some rich potting mix...from a tomato tub from last summer. The one that is in bloom has one .it's flower to open. Seems like it is called Apple bloxsom. I've never had one with so many blooms! I love it.
The kitty is Mr Twister, who chose the bottom of a box as his new bed! I gave him his catnip bag which he dearly loves. I find great pleasure in watching him rub his face with it. Silly old kitty.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 28 2019 4:04:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  4:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww Marilyn, its gorgeous!! I love Mr. Twister!!!
My tree is artificial!! I would be too scared to keep it that long if it were a live one!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  05:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How cute Mr Twister looks so comfy in his bed.

I had some Amaryllis and they are hearty plants. They keep coming back. Even while sitting outside. They are beautiful plants.
Yours are beautiful!
Happy Sunday everyone.

Love you all.

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  10:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -- Your Mr Twister is the spitting image of our Rufus and I got an amaryllis at Walmart before Christmas, too, but mine isn't blooming yet. Probably because I had the heat turned way down when I was gone.

I call this picture "If I fits I sits"

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cats are so funny! And all these years I thought kids were the ones who loved the empty boxes. Mr. T is 18 years young and still loves to run and chase a stray pecan across the floor. He is not as prone to jump over the pet gate, although he can do it...he usually sits and meows for ME to open it.
Did you enjoy your brief trip to Texas? The weather was pretty nice.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  3:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will put my tree away but not till after the new year when the family has to go home. My son had to leave today due to needing to work early tomorrow morning. But my daughter and son in love and 4 little ones won't go till the 2nd. I'm glad we have my oldest and her family nearby. I'd be lost without any of my children near. My son is 2 1/2 hrs northeast of us but he can't get here very often.
But we are enjoying all the time with the littlest ones that we can.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 30 2019 08:06:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  3:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what I would do without my cats; they keep me amused and sane. Such characters. Rufus is 13 now. His tail curls over his back like a samoyed dog.
I really enjoyed the trip. for the first time in my life I flew first class; that could be very addictive. The weather in Texas was good but no sun in Forth Worth. The drive thru New Mexico and Arizona went well -- no snow like last year. Then we did the long drive up Nevada on hwy 93 to get to my Daughter's house in Genoa on Christmas Eve. She put on a Christmas dinner that was fantastic -- prime rib and lobster. It did snow there so we did have a white Christmas, also another first for us. I hadn't been with family for the holiday in quite a few years so it was a wonderful treat to be with kids and grandkids for two days. I hope to repeat it next year.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  4:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a real treat to have two days with your family Judith. Congratulations!
Mr Twister is about 90 years old in kitty cat years, yet he just went tearing through the house. I wish I had his energy. Twice recently he has turned the kitchen trash over. He was thunk my about it a few minutes ago...But I told him no! No! NO!!! So he went away. He was only a few days old, when My husband found him all alone under a feed sack. He fed his tiny baby with a bottle. We had a pound kitty. The girls were 1 and 4 when they begged me to stop. They knew what lived there because of a field trip. So I was not very happy when My husband came in with his orphaned kitten. Cookie, the pound kitty, had to be put to sleep at 16. But Mr. T just keeps going.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  4:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, you won't know what to do in your empty nest on the third of January. It is great that your young grandkids get to be at your home for a longer time, than just a couple of days. Enjoy!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  4:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda are you home yet??? I'm anxious to see some pictures and hear some highlights of your trip!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3453 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3453 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  05:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning HenHouse Friends! I just breezed through your latest posts and loved hearing so many little fun snippets of life these past days of Christmas. What I love most about MJF is the diversity of it’s members. EAch one of you give me inspiration, smiles, laughter, hope and friendship! Having the ability to share here, gives each of us a little peek into how others, we trust and enjoy, order their days and prioritize their their tasks. It is a true gift and platform of support to me and I am guessing you as well.

Our Christmas was it’s usual 72 hours blitz. It all starts when our youngest arrived on the 23 and over when she left on the 26. This year she brought her long term boyfriend and he is a wonderful and caring young man. We all enjoyed being together with my oldest daughter and her husband and our dear friend from Tallahassee. Plus, the weather was warm and sunny so we hung out on the porch with a little fire going . We keep the celebrations simple because it is all about just being together and enjoying the traditional foods like Pecan and pumpkin pie, our brunch with Mom’’s breakfast casserole, Norwegian Christmas bread, fruit salad and Kelley and Danny’s home raised smoked pork sausage links. Add to that Danny’s Granny’s southern Pecan fruitcake,family must have Norwegian Sandbakkel cookies, and my Mom’’s Springerle cookies. It is a combo of favorites that each person “must have” to make if officially Christmas ! LOL!!

By the way, I ordered some flour from the Wauneta Roller Mill in Nebraska and like the way it performs. Plus, those old fashion fabric prints are great fun to have. I am not sure how I will end up using them yet, but I will think of something. Any suggestions? The story of that old mill is wonderful and I enjoy supporting those businesses who have such an important part of America’s story. Plus, I don’t mind paying a bit more to have American grown wheat processed by American workers in a plant here in Nebraska. I do the same with purchasing cornmeal from Guilford Mill in North Carolina. There is also a small rice company in North Florida but I have trouble finding it in stores. I did research rice in general, and learned that Riceland, in Texas, is made up from small family farms . So, I have been buying rice from them in our general grocery store. If you go to their website, you get to met several of the families in the group that grow rice. It is very interesting.

This weekend, I was doing some clean up and moved an old chest out to clean the baseboards and found evidence of dry termite damage in the back leg. Sooooooo............ out came all the drawers , out came each drawer’s contents, a thorough vacuum happened and today we take it to ther termite control company we use to have it fumigated for 3 days to kill all of the termite. This will be the third piece of antique furniture that has had this problem over the past 15 years. What we learned from the first piece is that dry termites are already in the wood, but not active and not apparent. At some future time, they become active and literally eat the wood form the inside out, hollowing out the entire thing over time!! This chest has been in it’s current location for at least 15 + years. OY!! So, while I was on a mission to start putting things back after the holidays, I have now got a big issue to deal with . Today, I am going around with a flashlight and carefully look over every antique I own and look to see if these dry termites have spread. The good news was that the wood floor under this chest shows no sign of termite infestation, but the termite control might suggest they come out and look closer etc. I can tell you this, if you aren’t careful down here in Florida, termites will eat your house and any wood in it down to a pile of dust!! In addition, it has been warm and very humid here off and on the past few weeks and when I was putting away some Christmas dishes, I noticed mildew in the corner cupboard on the doors and lower shelf. Out came a mild bleach solution and a thorough wipe down of the can inlet. It seems like I go to do a simple task and find a little disaster that needs immediate care. The cupboard sits on a tile floor. In the Winter months, we often open the windows part of these warm days because the mornings are cool. BIG MISTAKE!! The humidity is so high that it condenses on the tile floor and over a short period forms mildew. So.......we have to run the AC all the time when these warm spells happen. GRRRRRR!! Why can’t it just be cooler and dry so I can enjoy having the windows open???

I will stop all this rambling and wish you all a Happy New Year!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Dec 30 2019 05:49:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  06:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Winnie I never thought about termites being in old furniture, hope you don’t find anymore.

Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!

Love you all

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  07:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not know that about old furniture. Wow!

I made several sweet little bunnies from my flour sacks from Wauneta Roller Mill. I thought the sweet little prints just called out bunnies, besides it was spring when I made them.

Hauled went shopping with her dad my son, just before Christmas. He told her he needed a gift for her .om, for me and one for her...They were entering The Home Place at Ace Hardware. She was telling this story, just after opening her gift from him. She always looks at the art, paintings, while there. Recently she purchased a painting of a llama for herself.
She said that as they looked around, she saw it...no one had bought it! So she told her dad and he paid for it. I had seen it hanging up above the vast assortment of kitchen gadgets. It is a sweet painting of seven sweet bunnies. The !op even has a wreath of flowers on her head! Probably five feet long and 14" wide, I loved it when I saw it in the store, and I'm so happy for her.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  08:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith,
Oh boy first class. I'm sorry to say I have never flown first class but I'm sure I would definitely enjoy it. So glad you were able to spend Christmas with your family! It's the most important thing.

Winnie,
One of the things we did not care for in Florida was the issue with termites but we get them here too. I have never heard of that with antique furniture.

Marilyn,
That sounds a lovely memory for her! I'm sure she will cherish it.

The kids and grands have gone to see their grandmom on son in love's side of the family for lunch and then the will drop the two oldest off for a sleepover at my oldest daughter's house. They have been waiting a long time to be able to spend the night with their cousins. The schedules are different so we will see how it goes. Hopefully they will not be crabby from too little sleep. The 7 year old could talk for days without a break. LOL!
We have so enjoyed having them and will enjoy the next couple of days before they have to leave. One thing that really has been on my heart is family and how important it is to be together. Not all the faldera but the time we spend investing in one another's lives.

I hope each of you will go into the new year with purpose. Not just letting the days go by but purposing to live each as if you were on a mission, because honestly we all have a purpose and a mission.
This year will be a new week, a new month, a new year and a new decade.
Winnie is so right about what each of us brings to this forum and the support and encouragement we are able to give to one another.
Love to each one of you from me!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  09:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true Denise.
I wanted to tell you about my friend. All of her grand kids are grown or almost grown. She is a great grandmother now also. But when her grands were little, about three years old they could join their older siblings and cousins. They would all come to stay at grandma and papa Jack's house for an extended period each summer. It started out as a two week thing. They called it cousin time and it was enjoyed by all. They had turned the two car garage into a den when their kids were teens. That became a huge pallet area. Sleeping bags, quilts, blankets and pillows everywhere. My friend was much younger than her sister...like almost 20 years younger. She said she wanted to give her grands something she never had. She slept on the floor too. I think she bought a blow up mattress after the first fun adventure. This went on for quite a number of years.
You might enjoy having cousin time too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  11:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did kind of the reverse with our kids. The year each one was 12 they got to go on a special vacation with us alone. It was fun -- it made them feel special and we got to spend time with them as an individual and not part of the group. Two chose to go to Hawaii but the youngest wanted to go to Fiji. She was always the one who marched to a different drummer.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  12:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a nice gift and special time for you Judith.

Well Have a good day.

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  12:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those we're nice vacations, Judith. My son's senior trip with his classmates was to Hawaii. It was fun, but it was the kids trip. All the girls wanted to do was look at jewelry from the street vendors and stop and call their boyfriends at 5pm...because it was 10pm here. All my son wanted to do was eat sea food and more sea food. After swimming in the ocean once...they all chose the pool. ???

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 30 2019 12:44:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  1:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, that sounds like a wonderful trip! I remember flying to the east coast once and we were bumped to first class for some reason. It was SO nice! I thought, now THIS is the way to travel!!! We don't travel a lot but I like to save my air miles and use first class if I can. It's extra but it's fun to splurge once in awhile!
I like what you both said, Winnie and Denise. This time of year always gets me to reflecting on the past year and what I would like to do or change in the upcoming year. My daughter got me a really neat planner for Christmas and I was just thinking about sitting down with it this afternoon and getting started with it. I'm thinking about "scheduling" time for projects just like I would an appointment. I have a few that I really want to finish this year. Maybe that would be a way to make a concentrated effort to finally get them done.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  2:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great 8dea Debbie. It is also fun to decorate your planner.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic A Merry and Bright December~2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page