Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 A Merry and Bright December~2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic A Merry and Bright December~2019 Next Topic
Page: of 6

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  2:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and the planners today are much more fun to use unlike those lesson plan books I lived with for 30 years.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  2:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are! There's a place for everything!
Marilyn, I was thinking about you a couple of weeks ago while I was watching the NFR on tv. SO many contestants were from Stephenville. I was looking at them, wondering if you had had any of them as students in school or if they had moved to Stephenville later on.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  4:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you see Marty Yates? He was in school with my grandkids, so he was in a lot of the classes I subbed in. It is amazing how many young cowboy families live around Stephenville now. My son has built a lot of their homes.
Sadly due to the sheer number of people who have moved into the county, the bigger properties are cut up into five acre pieces.
We live on a dead end road with only three homes, yet a mile down the county road there are about ten new homes...built in the last year...same story on the highway. We have also heard, and I just asked my friends hubby...The new loop around town will probably come within a half mile of us. We can already hear so much road noise...not fun!
Ten years ago my son told Marty's aunt that she could list this place. Then after a few months he told her to take it off. We have not discussed moving in a good while...But we may be forced to when that loop is built.
Have you ever been to the finals? A lot of people from Stephenville go out there. Kids at the country schools, I would call the roll...some one who was there would give me the verbal list of who was gone for two or three days, to the finals.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  4:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -- I'm with the kids; I'm not crazy about swimming in the ocean. Every time I do I imagine giant fish swimming beneath me. Besides, salt water in the eyes doesn't feel good.Give me a nice clean pool anyway, or even a lake.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  5:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't blame them either. At the pool they could get out and play games in the game area, readily find food and colas too.
Which islands did you go to?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  5:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We made it to Oahu, Kauai, Molokai, and my favorite, Hawaii. I have a fascination with volcanoes, maybe due to a minor in geology.I would have majored in geology but couldn't handle all the math.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  5:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geology is the greatest, I couldn’t do the math either, Too bad,.

Well today is my twin granddaughters birthday, here are their school pictures. They are still little ones, I sure niss them this year because I usually visit them at Christmas and their birthday,
My little dumplings.

Have a good night

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  7:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet photos Darlene.

Judith when we were stationed in Hawaii at Pearl harbor, many years ago, we visited Maui. It was the only one of the other islands we got to go to. It was beautiful.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  8:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, your grand-daughters are lovely. Such fun. Happy Birthday to them.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  8:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We landed on Oahu, spent three days there, then we flew to the big island. I agree that island was facinating in 1982. One day the sponsor and I went on a circle island tour. The other two ladies stayed with the kids at the pool.
That young lady tour guide was awesome. She loved her homeland and at days end we did too. So a couple of years ago when the island was in the midst of the huge lava flows...all I could think of was how it looked when we were there.
I remember stopping at the volcano, walking around, smelling the sulphur steam coming up around the culverts. We went into that long restaurant
That sat on the rim, and as I looked out the window at the tiny school bus far, far away, and the small spot in the crater that was blackened... I asked the waitress when they had the last eruption..she said, " do you see the black spot...it erupted last night...just a small one less than 20' high." Then I asked if everyone was scared. She said the shreaks and screams were quite loud...and everyone left.
In just a few months...it began a show that lasted a long time.

They have gone crazy building big hotels on the big Island. I thought as I watched the news...that all of those folks from America and the rest of the world made the Princess angry.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 30 2019 8:34:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2019 :  8:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene your twins are precious. How old are they now? Tell them Happy Birthday from your friends.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  06:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
We lived there in 1982. We lived in Aliamanu,a dead crater that the military used to build a housing area.
There was so much Oleander there it just smelled wonderful when there was a slight breeze. My mom came to visit us in October that year and stayed until December. Of course it was when hurricane Ewa came through. The first hurricane in 23 years.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 31 2019 06:45:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  10:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, when we were there in June, on Oahua, we were wandering around being tourists when we .st a !day who had brought her daddy. He was old! Or so it seemed. He said the last time he had been there it was sand and barbed wire...WwII!!! Our hotel sat on the beach. Down below was some sort of bunker. Also there was an apartment building, and we could see into one apartment, although I never saw people in it. We were milking cows, at home,so I was up every morning, much earlier than the others. I would heat my water for instant coffee, slide the door open and sit on the balcony. Every morning there was a shower which left the streets wet...So tail lights made it look festive almost like Christmas.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  11:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has changed. I was there in 76, 78, and 82. Six years ago my granddaughter graduated from nursing school and my daughter took up to Maui to celebrate. I didn't recognize the place; it was so overgrown with condos everywhere along the shore and inland, too. We drove up to Hana and you can't even walk down to the seven pools anymore, let alone swim in them as we did before.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9196 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  3:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, yes, back in '82 it definitely wasn't all condos on Maui.
We used to go to Hanauma Bay to swim because it was much less populated than Waikiki or some of the others.
Though we did not frequent the beaches due to sunburn being a problem for me.
Sometimes I would love to go back now because at the time we were living there we did not get to do to much sight seeing. JT being out at sea 3/4ths of the time we were stationed there we actually saw Diamond Head separately. We did take the little ones there for a picnic together but didn't do the climb then.
Our middle daughter was born there at Tripler Army hospital. Her friends never believe that she was born in Hawaii for some reason. I mean we all have to be born somewhere, right?

It has been such fun having a houseful of little voices even though at times it can get loud. LOL! I still love it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  6:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is nothing sweeter than those young voices! Excitedly playing together! Imaginations working overtime! I have loved little ones my whole life...although it is nice now to be older and retired...I do miss the sound of children at play!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2019 :  6:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thankful too !That we are safe at home this New Years Eve!
For my whole adult life we have had ham, b!ack eyed peas, dry ones, soaked and cooked, boiled cabbage, etc. For dinner on New Years Day. Well I decided to shake things up a bit! I asked Bay of Triston might cook for us. He loves steak, and does a wonderful marinade, where they stay overnight. When she said yes...I was excited. I went into the mad house called our only grocery store. Honestly there were very few parking places. But I found a stack of rib eyes, and bought six of them. Then I added four bacon wrapped fillets and a package of chicken breasts. The rib eyes are smaller but nice. Julie said we probably did not need so many but I told her we did need that many, left overs! Although we may not have left overs. I also got some big Idaho Russets for her to bake. She asked about the peas and I said we would have black eyed peas from the freezer. Yes! And of course steam fried cabbage. It is way better than boiling all of the goodness away. No pies for dessert. No cakes either. We are having a fruit pizza. The cookie dough is in the fridge and I will roll it out in the morning and bake the pizza crust.
I will never forget that year that Bay was two. We had a guy from Montana, a guy from Nebraska, and Julie from Wisconsin at our dinner table. And I was trying to be explain to them why we were eating that stuff.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 01 2020 7:07:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  5:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm doing the traditional dinner my mother always made for New Years. The pork roast with sauerkraut and apples is in the instant pot on slow cooker, blackeyes with bacon and onions on the stove along with a pot of collards. I'm not sure whose tradition it was, Mom's or Dad's, but I think maybe the pork roast and sauerkraut was my Mom's Hungarian-Bavarian offering and the black eyes and collards was Dad's Arkansas share.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  5:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, how do you make steak fried cabbage?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  7:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Debbie...I
thought I proof read that. It is steam fried cabbage.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  7:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith I'll bet you are right.The black eyed peas are for good luck. The cabbage or collards are for money. Ow I think the peas are supposed to be dry not frozen. During the civil war and in the aftermath the only thing anyone had to eat was dried black eyed peas. So I suppose that since most of us had ancestors in that awful war, that may have something to do with that tradition.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic A Merry and Bright December~2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page