Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 January 2020~ A new month, year, decade
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic January 2020~ A new month, year, decade Next Topic
Page: of 3

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  05:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here we are not only starting a new month but also a new year and a new decade! Time sure flies. Remember all those sci-fi shows they came out with? Most of those years are already past. At least we haven’t reached the age of the Jetsons...yet.

I don’t make resolutions as I give myself a hard time if I don’t keep them. Do any of you?
I do like the feel of a new year and a fresh start.

What do all of you do or plan for the new year?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 01 2020 05:40:40 AM

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  06:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't make resolutions either...for the same reasons. But I have some very long range goals.
I have found that writing down those long range goals...sealing them up in an envelope, then opening it and reading after a year, two or three years is very satisfying. Then I say, " Thank you God for all you have done! "

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5981 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5981 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  06:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get my knee done! I don’t make resolutions I never keep them!

Happy New Year!

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1179 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1179 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  06:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year my friends. Denise, I don't make resolutions either, but I do have a few goals for the year I hope to accomplish. I am not much of a night owl so I was in bed by a little after 10. We had the 2 youngest grands last night and they spent the night so we were up before the birds this morning. We have had a lovely family week. For those that are friends with me on Facebook or Instagram, you are all caught up on our adventures, for those who are,not, here's a quick recap. Our daughter suprised us with Vikings football tickets and a weekend hotel room as our Christmas gift. Our son from Illinois and his family met us in Minneapolis at the Great Wolf Lodge, it is a huge water park and is so family friendly. We had a wonderful 4 days with our family, enjoyed the football game, shopped a little at The Mall of America and IKEA and took 9 hours to drive the 5 hour drive home Monday on icy, snow compacted roads. While we were gone we got 23 inches of snow in a 2 day blizzard. It is a mess here, we do have a tractor with a snow blade on front and that has been getting a workout. We are done combining until spring, so now it is catch up time at home and a chance to work on the many craft projects I have been wanting to do.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  1:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I hope you stayed nice and warm on those icy roads. Sounds like y'all had a great time. I remember that mall. It was so huge twenty two years ago.0

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  2:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie that was so awesome. But am glad you all made it home safe from the snow. It sounded like you had a wonderful time.
HUGS Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  3:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,
What a wonderful Christmas gift and memory making time. I sure wouldn't have wanted to return home to a blizzard!

My family is heading home in the morning. It has been a fantastic visit. My son in love and I were the only ones who managed to ring in the new year. Everyone else was tired out from our game playing evening.
The little ones are tired too and we can tell they are needing to get back into their routine. I know I need to get back into mine.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2624 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2624 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  4:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, what a great time! My husband was just reading on his AgNews about the snow storm that hit your area. Time to hibernate for the winter, I guess.
Brad and I had plans to work on a new puzzle last night..and we didn't even end up opening the box! We were both too tired so we were in bed by 9:30 and I didn't even wake up at midnight like I usually do. It's funny how it "feels" different, a new month and a new year...and it's only a day later than yesterday. I don't usually make resolutions...they don't last very long. I do have some goals for the year and I will just keep working towards those. I think I am going to write them in my planner and keep them in front of me to keep me motivated and accountable, though.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  4:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't make resolutions, either, because I don't keep them at all, if ever. Usually they revolve around losing weight. This year getting my house sold and moving into the new house top the list, and then there is traveling and RVing, etc.

Last night Ed and I were in bed around 11 - and sound asleep before the New Year. Didn't even hear any fireworks. We are about over the jet lag, we try to get up and go to bed at our normal times to get regulated.

We had a great vacation, Anniversary #2 and Christmas - saw and experienced a lot. Now we are slowly taking things to our new house and getting ready for our Caribbean cruise Jan 11-25 where we will see several islands we have not seen before. Then when we get back we need to get moving - in more ways than 1 - to clear out my house to sell it and get the new house livable. We found LED light bulbs at Dollar Tree and Ed replaced all that were not LED at the new house. I need to put some LED fluorescents in my sewing room so I can SEE! LOL!

Yesterday we took over a shelf unit and some small appliances to put in the garage. Today we took over a table and chairs for the dining room. I think my quilt room and fabrics will be the first we take over, since those rooms are the easiest to get ready - AND that is a good portion of the stuff at my house. LOL! A friend gave me several plastic storage drawers and I am going to organize some of the fabrics in them and transport by drawers. They will go into the fabric storage closet/room. May get that done before the cruise - may not.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2020 :  6:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, long ago a family I knew built a new home out in the country. She began taking some things out to the new house at the end of each day of teaching. Someone must have noticed her activities. All of her quilts went missing. She was just sick. Then angry. But her prized possessions were gone.
So think about the things you can live with out and those you treasure, before moving them to the new place.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  06:20:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our community park had a big fireworks display that started about 7pm so that families and children could enjoy the show and still get home . The place was full of families with children running around with goo sticks, blankets spread out with friends and families sharing snacks and chatting. Then there were lots of older folks like us who knew we wanted a simple and EARLY New Years Eve!! LOL!!

Welcome back, Linda!! I am glad you had a wonderful trip and enjoy the upcoming cruise as well. 2020 is off to a busy but exciting start with trips and a new home. I look forward to photos of the new place once you move in too. Once you get it all settled, I am sure you will enjoy being in your new place.

As for New Year resolutions, I tend to make lists of things I would like to do or change and as I go through the year, I check the list to see if the goal was met, or I decided not to do it and why.
It helps me to write down concerns and dreams because it helps me see in print that which often swirls about in my mind. Many ideas are good ones and if they are to happen, then I have tro figure out how to carve out time to make them happen. Reading more is a good example of this repeating goal on every year’s list.

Yesterday I took my poor dried out tree down and thoroughly went through every box and eliminated one big container of no longer used items. Several items I am gifting to young families who want the things and others are going to the thrift store. It seemed like a good time to be honest with myself about what I want to keep and what I actually use every year. We had so many little things from when the girls were growing up but they dont’ want them to keep and Christmas is just a few short days together. I am keeping that which everyone looks for . It feels more settled now to move on those cuties from the 1980s and 1990s to new homes. WE are moving some furniture around for a couple of changes and I am still waiting for my little chest to finish being fumigated for termites. This year we want to do some needed upgrades inside so we are going to work on a plan for getting those done.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  07:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a good plan Winnie.
I make a list each evening, of what I hope to accomplish the next day. Sometimes I make a list for the following week. I enjoy looking at the list before bedtime, because I see what was done, what needs to be done tomorrow!
Sometimes my lists don't work, perhaps because of family, health, or the weather!
I had planned to move roosters today...But I forgot to tell my husband not to let the hens out. So perhaps tomorrow. There are three big black roosters who need to move from the pullet pen. So I'm thinking that the more mature girls might enjoy these younger guys. Of course if they are too rough..they will be OUT!!!
I also need to work on two roosts for two of the four pens. I love to be outside in January, but I need sunshine and temps in the 60s. We have had such cloudy cool days recently.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  08:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad news the first Day of January. Ruth has gone on to be with the Lord. She will be missed!! My Heart is with her family! Her granddaughter post the sweetest pictures of her visiting the great Grand Baby in Alaska.
I know her suffering is over.
Her granddaughter posted this on face book. I will miss her a lot, we became prayer partners last year. She just sent me a message thanking me for her Birthday present a few days ago. I sent her a vintage dresser scarf and she said she put it right on her bedside table. I will never forget her.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2020 :  2:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet, sweet memories.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  07:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth was a gem of a friend Connie. I had done swaps with her over the years and we emailed back and forth as well.
Such a sweet, sweet spirit she was and I will miss her.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  4:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going tomorrow to New Orleans to visit the new WWII museum. Hubby and I are really looking forward to going too because we have heard so many positive comments from people who visited. If you don't see me around the rest of this week, I am over in the home of Jazz and delicious Cajun food for a few days. We went to New Orleans about 8 years ago and really enjoyed it. There is so much to see there and I am looking forward to seeing new sites.

Today, we finally have the furniture moved and things back to normal which started with a chest that was being hallowed out by termites@@ LOL!!! It has been a lot of work but worth it!! Next week, I can focus on my tiny craft area and LogCabin. Both are in need of putting things back in place after the holidays.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  4:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent the afternoon out side again. I was determined to rake out the Henny Penny chicken pen, scatter new hay on the ground, dump nest boxes, move them and add a curtain for privacy. I also sprinkled DE all around and in the nest boxes. I'm exhausted. But I'm so happy that the Henny Penny girls seem content.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  4:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent the afternoon out side again. I was determined to rake out the Henny Penny chicken pen, scatter new hay on the ground, dump nest boxes, move them and add a curtain for privacy. I also sprinkled DE all around and in the nest boxes. I'm exhausted. But I'm so happy that the Henny Penny girls seem content.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1153 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1153 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  6:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie -- Enjoy New Orleans! I was there about 10 years ago with my daughters; I loved it and naturally didn't have enough time to see everything. Breakfast at Cafe du Monde and dinner at Antoines -- YUM!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  7:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love New Orleans. Winnie, have a great time. The WWII Museum is wonderful. Ed and I went there the last time we were in NOLA. NOLA is a great place. Take the streetcar to the end and back; and they don't advertise it much, but there is a senior rate that is really cheap

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 07 2020 5:36:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2020 :  12:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Y'all are such great tour guides! Everyone who thinks they may someday go there should take notes.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5981 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5981 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2020 :  05:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see New Orleans at a quiet time, your trip sound like a lot of fun. I will be looking forward to what you see there.
Have a good time Winnie.

Got to go to the dentist appointment today, finally the start of a new Journey.
Have a good day sweet Ladies.

Love
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2020 :  06:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got back home yesterday from our New Orleans adventure and enjoyed our two full days at the magnificent WWII museum. There is so much to see and it was all done so well and so touching. What an incredible learning experience it was to have time to take it all in. The world changed in big ways following WWII and the world paid a dear price for pushing back on the aggression of Germany and Japan. Millions of lives were lost on every continent. This museum was also staffed with volunteer veterans who were so friendly and helpful. Thursday we even got to meet a WWII Veteran who was still able to come out and do a little greeting. Not many of those brave men are still alive and to hear them talk, is a treasure in itself. I am so glad we made the plans to go and spend time in this historical treasure trove of a museum. If you ever are in New Orleans, make time to visit because you will enjoy the journey.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2020 :  06:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And those guys who served, like my dad, never talked about their experiences. It was like they buried them...came home and got busy working, having and raising babies with their wives, or getting married, etc. They lived life. They valued life, they loved life and God!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  10:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love WWII history as well as the depression. I'm fascinated by their values and how they worked together. Seemed we have somewhat lost that. Everyone is pretty much for themselves. I live in a townhouse and my neighbor on my right doesn't even look at me. He husband will say hello but not her .... weird ... Well, I still say hello when I see her ... Her issue not mine. Anyway, I love the whole concept of make-do, repurposing ...

Not much going on here. I did finally manage to take my Christmas decor down. The place looked so bland! I then realized that I wanted to make various monthly themed table topper/wool mats to keep my home decorated. I find it's nice to have various things that one has made displayed. I guess I better get to work! lol

Gosh, I do not feel like going into work today. I think when I grow up I want to be independently wealthy! lol This way I could do what ever I wanted! I do like my hours, 3:30 to midnight. It allows me to get stuff done during the day.

Well, enough babbling .... Enjoy your day!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2020 :  7:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I've been listening to and sometimes taking a peek at a lady on you tube, who said she decorates for winter, not so much all Christmas...that way when the a Christmas is put away her home is still festive, colorful and enjoyable.
I'm still finding things that I forgot to put in the Christmas ornament box. Another box will be filled up soon.
Perhaps that is why box #1 is still sitting in the floor by the kitchen door.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic January 2020~ A new month, year, decade Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page