Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together: American companies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: American companies Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  4:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year 2020 and it is time to start another year of learning together. This year, I hope to involve all of your more because I know all of you are a wealth of great ideas and information. If you have a specific topic you would like to talk about, let me know and we can do one together.

This month, I would like to talk more about those old American businesses that are still located here and bringing consumers quality products. When I looked up the websites of those business that I purchase from, I was amazed at their histories. It feels fun to still be able to purchase a quality product that possibly was purchased by my Grandmothers!

Here are some of my favorites to get the discussion going.

1. Thanks to Marilyn, I learned about Wauneta Roller Mills in Wauneta, Nebraska. The flour mill was started in 1925 and still in production today as a family business. I purchased two 5 pound flour bags and several bags of pancake mix. The flour is really nice and makes up well in breads and cookies and lots of other regular flour uses. Plus, the bags come in darling old fashioned prints, which I love. You can find out more at www.waunetarollermill.com

2. Kirk's Soap. Kirks has been making soap since 1839 and today the plant is located in Erlanger Kentucky. They have expanded their line to include lots of other soap based products all keeping their commitment to quality and purity. www.kirkssoap.com

3. JR Watkinsstarted in 1868 and still working in Winona , Minnesota. Their products include soaps, salves, tinctures, laundry detergent and many other items. If you have not tried this company, check them out at www.jrwatkins.com.

4. Thompson Chocolates. I first discovered this candy company one Easter when I saw Thompson chocolate eggs in a grocery store. Because my maiden name was Thompson, I purchased a bag and discovered their delicious creamy goodness! The company was first started in 1879 and became Thompson Candy Company in 1934. They are located in Meriden , Connecticut . www.thompsonchocolates.com

What are your favorite companies that have been around for decades? There are really so many when you start digging and asking around. I personally love to read the stories of how each one of these businesses got started. Some were founded by immigrants, some just created products that were useful and needed and made them readily available in stores. In the late 1880s and the beginning of the 20th Century, American was growing and expanding. Plus we had a good network or railroads connecting the East to the West. Towns began to grow and expand and general stores were essential to all communities. It was in these general stores that basic products began to show up on a regular basis. What amazes me is that many are still in business and have a following of faithful buyers who prefer their products to the readily available that we see in every store. Plus, they provide jobs for local residents and craftsmen. While they might cost a bit more and often we have to pay for shipping , I find it worth the the time and extra money to get the quality as well as to support these small companies. After all, it was the small business that helped build America.

I look forward to hearing what some of your favorites are. Please give us their website so we can look them up. If you know that your Grandmother or Mother always bought a certain product, please let us know that too. I want to know your stories!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  6:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's a great list, Winnie. Can't wait to see what our sisters can add to it.

I still enjoy going through the Vermont Country Store catalog. I know they have been around for quite a while.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  8:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea Winnie. I love American grown and made.
Another great company that I have purchased from for years is Diamond Gussett Jeans. I first read about this new company in our small magazine from our electric co opetative, way back when our son was about 30. As he out grew the 28 x 40 jeans...lets just say I remembered this young company. Eventually I ordered just one pair for his birthday. He was a Levi's guy. But he liked the quality of the diamond Gussett Jeans. He still wears them. The man who owns the company must love to ride a motorcycle...they make jeans for motorcycle riders. They have some neat tee shirts but have never offered any long tailed ones...so Duluth Trading still gets that business from us. Gusset makes men's and women's jeans, right here in America! Tennessee!!! Check them out!
When my son was 14 years old I realized he was going to be hard to buy clothing for. Have you ever gone into a store, laid a jacket on the floor and then measured it with your tape measure from your purse? I did that in a big Western store in Ft. Worth. I have learned that if I hold a shirt up to my shoulder seam and it hits the middle of my knees...it might be long enough for him. Thank goodness there are good companies making quality products in this good ole USA.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 04 2020 1:37:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2020 :  05:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Winnie,
Years ago I sold Watkins products, they are a good company, I would recommend them to everyone!

Thanks again, have a good Saturday.

Hugs Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2020 :  4:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marilyn and Darlene for your input on American companies! I will have to try those jeans, Marilyn as jeans are always hard to find that fit!

Darlene, how did you sell the Watkins? Home parties? Door to door? as a salesperson in a shop where they were for sale? What did you find were the most favorite of the products?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2020 :  5:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I sold Watkins by catalog and a few parties, I didn’t sell much , I sure enjoyed the product though.
I have tried different selling but just am not good at it. I tried Avon, that literally broke me. It cost me too much to sell it.
Tupperware was good product but expensive, I liked it though. I think I did the best with a Watkins though, they have good products.i still use it now.
Their pepper is good and their cinnamon. They have good household products too. I still would recommend them.
Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure everything in Lehman is American made but I have purchased a grain mill from them and it has been working for me for the last 22+ years. I try to buy US made as much as possible but even some of the older businesses located here sell imported.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 06 2020 06:57:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  06:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the waunetarollermill.com but everything is out of stock right now. Must be due to holiday baking.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 06 2020 06:53:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  08:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have y'all tried Grove? Grove Collabrative sells products for the home like Seedling paper products made from bamboo and sugar cane. If you enjoy taking good care of our planet( or at least your tiny corner of it) you may want to take a look.
I was looking for a way to shop for bulky items. After the first order or two I paid $20 for a VIP membership...which has meant I have never paid postage. Some of the boxes have been big and heavy. I began ordering in March, of 2019. Check it out. I love their end of season sales. They have a recycling program where they send you a post paid bag to return their containers in. I love their floor cleaner...it comes in little tubes that you squeeze into a 16oz. Spray bottle.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 06 2020 08:53:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  10:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dinstuhl's fine candies has been in operation non-stop since 1902. 4th generation Son and Grandson now own. Still Hand made only! Cashew Crunch is a favorite since 1902!! Its the go to place for special gifts and Holidays for locals. of course they have Elvis Chocolate!! Tours of the factory are available to anyone, by appointment. It smells wonderful! the owners love their city and it shows!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  11:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yum yum!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  4:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of these comments are great! I love hearing about more companies that you know about and have tried their products! I am amazed at all of the diversity too. I am going to enjoy learning and trying new places and wouldn't it be great to be able to buy only from these small places?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  5:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have shopped in Lehman's over the years and have always had good luck with them.
I am going to check out the flour mill. I love the idea of fabric sacks! How did you like the pancake mix, Winnie?
I love Kirk's soap! That is all I use.
I remember my mom buying Watkins from a man who came door to door. Watkins made a powdered lemon pie filling that she used to buy because my dad loved it. I see them if we ever go to the state fair as they usually have a booth set up in one of the commercial buildings.
I love Bob's Red Mill!!! I have so many bags from Bob's on my shelves. I just found out that they also have aluminum free baking powder that I will be buying.
I love Longaberger baskets. A great American company with a great family story. Unfortunately, they have gone out of business....I really enjoyed them when they were a newer company. As the years went by, they drifted farther and farther away from what attracted me in the first place.
How about the Hershey company??? haha

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  5:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yum. Chocolate.
Surprisingly, the very bitter cacao powder I mix into my coffee along with a bit of cream, does not taste bitter in the coffee.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2020 :  08:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie,
The grain mill I have is called the Whisper mill. I'm not sure if it has the same name but I know they still have it. I love being able to grind my own wheat fresh each time I make my bread.
I get my yeast and lecithin from Frontier. Another good company to check out. There really are some excellent companies in the US it just takes some researching to find them.

I am going to check out the jeans company Marilyn. Thank you for sharing it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 10 2020 10:12:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2020 :  1:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad y'all are going to check out the Gusset jeans...they are so honest and trust worthy. Last fall my son got into his truck, and his jeans ripped. I emailed the company, for him. I told them what happened and that he had purchased three new pair quite recently. Within a few days he had a new pair. But a month later when another pair did the same thing in the same place, not only did he get a new pair of jeans, but there was a big meeting of the company officials, the company who made the denim, etc. Somehow that roll of acid washed denim was not so great. I think they replaced a bunch of jeans for people including the third pair my son had bought. All I had to send them was pictures of the tags inside and the rip. They stand by their guarantee! Now my son wears their industrial blue colored jeans...he likes the lighter color of the acid wash but not the fact that it weakened the fabric. He has had old jeans rip before, usually in the crotch...usually Levis or cinch jeans. Never had we ever had a pair rip from near the waist band, down beside the zipper almost to his knee. I am so very thankful for Diamond Gussett!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2020 :  12:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know if Grove Collabrative carries Mrs. Meyers? I think I have ordered from them in the past.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2020 :  2:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, yes, yes they do! I have really enjoyed the seasonal scents. I ordered a bunch for Autumn and gave several to friends.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2020 :  09:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great topic Winnie. King Arthur Flour was founded in 1790. Love their product. I have taken a few class from them. They have lots of resources too.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2020 :  10:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot about the King Arthur company. Lots of good ones here!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2020 :  06:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, King Arthur and Bob’s Red Mill are two companies I use all the time and had forgotten about them. I am enjoying the growling list of products here. Oh, I forgot, I use Mrs. Myers all the time and really like her products. Plus the seasonal scents are just wonderful and the dish detergent doesn’t make my hands break out or dry them out too much.

I also forgot to mention Ivory Soap Original formula which I always keep around and use, Rumford Baking Powder and Baking Soda, and Health Club Cron starch all of which are always in my cupboard.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2020 :  6:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lodge cast iron -- Since 1896. Dh had lots when we got together many years ago and so did I. A lot of our cast iron is antique, including a couple of waffle irons, not all is Lodge, but it is probably all American. The Asian stuff isn't as thick or as well made. I have my Grandmother's fry pan from about 1910 and my late mother-in-laws from 1940s. It never wears out and can be passed down for generations. It's too bad the younger generation all want shiney teflon coated pans; they don't know what they are missing.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2020 :  8:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whitmans Chocolates is another old American company. My husband got three boxes for Christmas. He is working. #2. He took it to work one day so Bay could have a chocolate candy.
When she was about 12 she would take her box to her room...when she brought it back down stairs a bite was gone from every piece...that way no one else would eat her chocolates. Of course I have everyone their favorite, but the variety of the Whitmans was so inviting. Then they came out with the huge, long boxes at Christmas & Valentines. We even got one of those for her last year...and she offered everyone a piece. She is no longer 12!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2020 :  06:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are so many long standing companies still around if we look for them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2020 :  1:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I love Whitmans too. Whitmans use to come in tin boxes! My Great Aunt Mattie put her Needles and thread in one. The company is still in Kansas City, MO. Been around since 1854.

There are many, many still in this area. I haven had time to post them with the facts.

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jan 13 2020 1:08:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  05:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie,
Every once in a while, usually Easter, Whitmans will have pretty tin boxes for their candies. I have one I got a few years ago. So handy to use and pretty to look at.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: American companies Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page