Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What we are working on ~ 2020
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on ~ 2020 Next Topic
Page: of 24

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  9:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I started a swap for a sun hat or sun bonnet. I hope some of you will join in. I posted a couple links for easy sun bonnets and hats that are sewn and crocheted. There is something for everyone. LOL! I'd love to have some of you join in. The crocheted hats are easy and would be quick to make. Please take a look at the swap.
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=91370#999547

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  07:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working on my two swaps. Also doing some organizing in the last room upstairs left to declutter, which is the craft area. Left the best for last upstairs. Lol.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  09:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always, thank you so much for your comments.

Linda, you banner is lovely.

Judith, love your quilt. My first quilt was a sampler.

Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  10:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished my Vanilla sweater ... I only need to block it and it's a done deal!

That pattern is addictive! I've already ordered more yarn to knit a couple more. Pumpkin want's one! I love that kid!

This is what it looks like on a person ... the model is Corinne, the designer of the sweater and owner of one of my favourite online yarn shop The Woolly Thistle - it's her picture taken from IG

Catch you all later!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  10:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful sweater, Carole.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  11:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sweater; it looks like will keep you warm.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  11:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I am heading over to check out your latest swap!
Carole, I had never heard of The Woolly Thistle...what a lovely shop! I ordered the vanilla sweater pattern and decided on a heathery plum color. With so many colors to choose from, I can see how this sweater could be addicting!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  1:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,
Your sweater is lovely. Looks so soft!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  02:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, your quilts are such fun. Do not be afraid of your heritage. This too shall pass. Clever idea and definitely a keepsake. The frog banner is adorable...if she doesn't like it, send it to me. lol Carole, your quilt is beautiful too.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  06:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie you are a wise woman. "This too shall pass!".
We have so much to be thankful for...so much to celebrate!
Thank you God!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  07:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working on getting some of the stuff I've decluttered taken out and to the thrift. Looking better all the time. Motivates me to want to get rid of much more.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  08:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you are clearing out. I am working on it. Making a couple boxes to take to thrift shop - extra coffee maker, Small George Foreman sandwich maker, toaster, etc. Lots of glasses I either need to find cabinet space for or get rid of. You are an inspiration. Keep it going.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  09:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get my glass ware cleared out... I drop it or knock it off the cabinet, accidentally!
Tile floors and glass do not work well together.
This morning, packing lunches, I filled two jars with sweet tea for the lunch boxes. I picked them up by the lids to move them...four steps to the table. I knew the lids were not tight, but planned to tighten them at the table. Well...one jar fell to the floor with a loud crash. Broken glass and spilled sweet tea all over...what a mess. And there I stood bare footed! Thankfully I had some slides, close by. I put them on and backed out of that disaster. It was a major clean up. We must put broken glass in a box before it goes into a trash bag, and I tape it shut! It was a four mop pad clean up...so far. I use a swifter mop.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  09:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! We have tile floors in the kitchen and dining room, too. I'm always afraid that will happen.

Have you made any of the reusable Swiffer pads from towel fabrics? I have also made a couple crocheted pads for the Swiffer. They are handy to have around and then wash.

You talk about a mess! My mother used to make currant jelly every year (until my father accidentally burned down the bushes - that's another story). One year she had just poured the hot jelly into many jars and was melting the parafin? to put on top. My father was working in the dining room, considering taking down the wall between the dining room and kitchen. My mother asked him if he could stop until she was done and cleared off the table on the kitchen side of the wall. He said what he was doing wouldn't matter. Well, several minutes later, he had removed the sheetrock on the dining room side of the wall and was tapping on the sheet rock along the studs, my mother heard him say "oh, no!" Immediately the sheet rock on the kitchen side of the wall fell, hit the pedestal table, immediately flipped the table, and there was hot currant jelly on the vinyl tile floor. Needless to say, we cleaned up what we could, but every time we walked into the kitchen for a long time, our shoes would stick. No currant jelly that year.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  10:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I do like that beautiful new casual sweater! There is something lovely in it's simplicity and sometimes uncomplicated is just what you need for an outfit. Enjoy using this pretty new sweater that you made!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1169 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1169 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  12:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was about 13 or 14 I made gingerbread. My hands were a little greasy when I got the new quart bottle of molasses out of the cupboard. The bottle slipped right out of my hands and landed on the floor. Mom was in the kitchen at the time. We both watched molasses ooze over the floor. I looked at Mom, sure I was going to be in major trouble. As our eyes met she started laughing and we both giggled through the whole cleanup process.
Years later, in my own kitchen, I dropped a bottle of cooking oil before they started putting it in plastic bottles. It spread over the whole floor in record time and was really hard to clean up on linoleum. It soaked in and required a few weeks of serious scrubbing. I wish it had been molasses.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  2:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness! Kitchen disaster stories. I have spilled milk and that is no picnic but must less trouble than all those sticky things. I can't imagine glass and all those sticky things. I get more upset with myself over the waste than I do with cleaning up.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  3:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well ladies, I laughed at your funny tales. I did not stress over the tea, but a couple of weeks ago while pouring my new batch of Huny Bear Oil and Vinegar salad dressing into a jar, I had another disaster! I am still mad at me over the loss of about 2/3 of the dressing...Not on the floor but right down the sink...due to slick oily hands. The loss of olive oil, red wine vinegar and honey...now that was upsetting. We love that dressing! So the next day...I made another double batch.

Carole your new sweater is lovely. It makes me wish I could be a good knitter. Most sweaters have very long sleeves, which always get wet when I was dishes or my hands. I really like the length of those sleeves. He many rows did you add to the bottom of your sweater?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  08:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your support ... such a great place to hang out and share

Debbie, there is a Ravelry group that Corrine opened for the vanilla sweater. Don't tell anyone but when it comes to knitting, I am pattern reading challenged lol I think it's because I tend to complicate things. Anyway, I found it useful to read how others were doing. What I love about that sweater is that you wear it over a shirt .... Yea, it's addictive, I already have yarn coming for 3 different coloured sweaters. If you need clarification, I'm here for you.

Marilyn, I'm not sure I understand your question. For the body, I knitted until it was 12" from under the arm. As for the sleeves, I wanted them a tad longer than she had mentioned on the pattern, so I added 28 more rows. It could be that my arms are longer than hers! lol I found the body length from the instructions too short on my the body, so I tried it on and stopped adding rows when I was satisfied with the length.
Denise, the yarn is Rauma Finull and is from Norway ... really soft to the touch ... not scratchy.

Catch you all later!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Jul 06 2020 08:03:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  08:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Carole you answered my question. Thanks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  11:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Carole! I will look that group up. It's always nice to have somewhere to go when you have a question or need some clarification. I wondered about the sweater length, too. I will have to see where the length hits me and adjust so it doesn't end up looking too boxy.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  11:25:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh...Carole, your knitting secret is safe with me!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2020 :  2:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, that sweater is gorgeous! Home-made is definitely the best. As for disaster stories, I taught a class in fondue cooking years ago. At home, I was pouring the oil back into the bottle when the handle on the fondue pot loosened and the oil poured into the drawer that was open and down the side of the cupboards and onto the floor. You can bet I don't leave the drawers open any more. The other disaster happened when my son was 13. I came in and my son said...mom I'll clean it up. They wanted to see if you could blow up an egg in the microwave. Luckily I made it in the door just after it happened and it came off.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  11:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I finished my sunbonnet for the swap. And then I started some new blocks using selvages - the part of fabric you usually throw away! I have been collecting selvages for a long time, and have at least a black garbage bag full of them. I found a pattern on Pinterest and it is called Log Cabin Library. Here are pictures of 5 of them.

They go together easily and I love making them. The only problem is making sure the selvages are cut wide enough and that they are straight on the foundation when you sew them down. I have always cut them at least 1-1/2" so mostly all of mine have been useable for this project. I like having some of the pattern on the fabric showing between each selvage. They are made on a foundation piece and are 12" when finished.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  11:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is cool Linda very colorful.
I just finished my pot holder for the July swap.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on ~ 2020 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page