Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What we are working on ~ 2020
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on ~ 2020 Next Topic
Page: of 24

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2624 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2624 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  09:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what it would be like to only work on one project at a time..and only have the materials needed for that one project? I have a cupboard that is probably 4 feet across and a foot deep where I keep all of my scraps and it's sorted by color. It is full. I have ideas for scrap quilts that would take up several stacks. But, here lately, a thought of just getting rid of all of it keeps going through my head! How would I feel if it wasn't there? Would I miss it or feel relieved? Would I miss not making those quilts? It's so handy to go out and find a little piece of this color or that. With the nearest fabric store 45 minutes away, it wouldn't be easy to go find just a little piece of something if I needed it. My daughter also comes out and rummages around in there for things.
I decided to do a few scrap projects and see how much it will use up and NOT make any hasty decisions for now.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  10:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm the same way, Debbie. In some way I am a hoarder, I say collector, of fabric and other craft stuff. I am trying to use up some and diminish my stash it would be nice to have only one wall of Fabrics instead of four

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  12:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not getting younger, but never could I live without my stash of fabrics. Never! I remember my grandma sewing tiny pieces of white fabric together, pressing with an old flat iron then cutting out a quilt block. Did she throw the left overs away??? NO WAY! She dug around to find more tiny pieces. I have a quilt on the wall. A small block about two inches may have five different pieces of white sewn together. I always feel guilty when I throw anything away.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  12:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every time I have ever gone into a quilt shop...I think "wouldn't it be fun to live in here for a week or more, to choose some fabrics from the shelves, cut out some things and sit at a machine to stitch away. When I finished that, go looking for more pretties to play with.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  12:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed on all counts, Marilyn!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1153 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1153 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  2:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been trying to not buy fabric for about a year. I have only bought two yards of fabric this year and have been sewing like crazy. I have not noticed the stash diminishing. I am convinced Someone is sneaking in at night and leaving fabric and sometimes they move things around so I can't find them.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1153 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1153 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  3:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  4:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I will second that story, Judith. I have done well without buying fabric - except when needed to finish a project. Last week I needed more muslin for the foundation of the selvages quilt. Other than that I have not bought ANY fabric since March. Or did I? LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  6:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now you all have got me thinking to save up all those scrap pieces I've been giving away! I buy so much with projects in mind but then the fabric sits for so long I forget what I intended to make with it. I have so much that needs to get made. Thinking of new things all the time to use what I have. Inevitably it seems I always manage to decide on something to make and it takes something I don't have enough of.....of course. You all do inspire me. I brought my cross stitch with me to my daughter's to work on. I don't know if the girls have tried stitching yet at 7 and 9. I think they have but I do know mom and dad have made some gorgeous pieces before they were married and they have them decorating their home. I

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5981 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5981 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  7:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to do a lot of Cross stitching, some pretty things but went on to other crafts. I am getting new glasses soon so maybe I will start a new project, who knows. Plastic Canvas is ok too.
I painting on rocks as well.
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  7:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I guess I must admit that I have bought a lot of fabrics this year! But they were almost all for the 10" square swap. Well, the yardage was. But if you ever buy from Missouri Star...you know they have daily specials...oh my!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2020 :  03:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
Missouri Star is a great place. Have you ever ordered from the Fat Quarter Shop. They have great sales too. I have picked up lots to use in my quilting. Had to stop so I can get some quilting done. lol. The more we've talked about projects and fabrics the more projects I've thought of that are one my list. I think I may sit down and actually go through what I have and put things together for the project they belong to. Maybe I will remember what many of them were originally intended to make.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2020 :  8:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Farm sisters, don't feel bad about having too much fabric. Just call it your fabric archives and it will be historically important! lol. I have only bought one piece of fabric this year but I know that will change. Our state shop hop is next week and my cousin's wife and I are going. I am going to pray that God will lead me away from temptation. Well, maybe a piece or two. The nice thing about fabric is that unless it is rotten it can always be used for charity projects.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2020 :  8:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I started my last public school teaching assignment...that lasted 13 years we were so broke. I had noticed that there were sometimes pretties for sale in the work room. I asked if I could put a couple of things there. So I made three fabric pictures, framed them and they sold. Now what... I began to work on some more but I needed a new dress and I wanted it to.be special for the first graders...so I painted country rag dolls around the bottom and on the bib of my new blue jumper. When it was ready I wore it to school.
Did my first graders like it? Yes. But by the end of the day the other teachers were asking lots of questions and one brave lady asked me to make and paint a jumper for her.That was the start of my sewing for "the public". Now I have tubs of ticking pieces, mostly red or blues. And I held on to some of them, thinking someday I would use them up.I took several two bags to the senior center for the quilters there. I need to make some hearts and stars etc. Maybe some bowl fillers for the new swap!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jul 27 2020 8:56:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1153 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1153 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2020 :  11:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that Bonnie. Some of my fabric is certainly old enough to be called archive. I recently used a piece that I remembered I bought in 1987.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2624 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2624 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2020 :  06:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I know what you mean. I'll find a stack of fabric and can't remember what I had planned on doing with it!
Bonnie, I like that thought...a fabric archive! I took 3 quilts to my longarm quilter yesterday and was telling her about the flannel that I had used in one of the quilts. I couldn't remember how many years that I had held on to it, afraid to cut it up! But, I finally did and I used just about every inch of the 7 or 8 yards that I had bought....maybe close to 20 years ago??? Yikes! It finally found it's home.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2020 :  07:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I love flannel. I used to make flannel dresses for myself for winter.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2624 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2624 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2020 :  07:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do I, Marilyn. It's so cozy. This quilt is going to be for my oldest grandson. It will have a flannel back as well. It should be very warm!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2020 :  10:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure he will love his flannel quilt Debbie.
The summer I taught my grand kids to sew, bought them each a machine, because we were going to 4-H summer sewing camp, I dug out every piece of flannel I had hoarded over their life times. I cut it into five inch squares, except for the backings. They each made a throw. We did the rag edges so I had a lot of clipping to do. They tried, but at 12 and 9 that was difficult.
So after our daily lessons at home off to camp we went. I was glad we had done the hard stuff at home because they felt assured and confident. It hat allowed me to help them a bit and a couple of other kids too. We had fun.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9125 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9125 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  03:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spent yesterday getting laundry done and things done after our long weekend. Was able to spend a little time stitching in the evening. Cross stitch seems like you spend a lot of time but doesn't seem to move a long very fast when looking at what is left.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  07:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I can so relate ... I have sprites in my house that hide things and sometimes they add to my stash ... I've given so much away and yet, it really doesn't look like the stash is going down. And you know, the same thing is happening to my yarn stash ... go figure! lol

Denise, I used to cross stitch on linen. My finished pieces are still sitting un framed and they were done over 23 years ago. The only reason why I remember the time is because when I became pregnant with Pumpkin, my DR told me I could no longer play in chemicals (photography) so I had to pick something ... cross stitch it was and then quilting ... quilting has stayed and knitting came back. I used to be an avid knitter in my late teens ...

I haven't been quilting much ... I did buy a FQ stack for a quilt I plan on making for Pumpkin's boyfriend, Goofball. The fabric line is called At Home by Bonnie & Camille.

Look at all those delicious colours ..... yummy

Not even sure I want to cut into it .... So I pet it every now and again.

Bonnie, just helping you out ... what are friends for?! lol

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jul 29 2020 09:19:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  10:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful fabric, Carole. I have several pieces of fabric that I really don't want to cut into. LOL! Hard to use that way.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1153 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1153 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  11:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a big needlepoint that has been waiting to be blocked and framed since about 1976. I bought it in 1967. My then husband said I would never finish it. I bet him $10 I would finish it before he finished the addition on the house he started. I finished the needlepoint. That house still isn't finished. He never paid up, either.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  1:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole that is a beautiful set of fat quarters.
He will love his quilt.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2020 :  4:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been doing a lunch of simple cross stitch project again. Thirty years ago, I used to make larger samplers and lots of little things but then my life got so busy with work and family. It has been a good craft to get back into because it keeps me busy counting stitches!! LOL!! Busy hands are happy hands these days. Of course, my little projects are all about fall right now and they are small and easy to do. I am not into complicated these days. I just don't have the same hand skills like in the past. My fingers and wrists get tired as do my eyes. So I am happy to do simple things I can enjoy and use if swaps if I choose.

All of you quilters are making such beautiful things in wonderful colors too!! So much talent in this HenHouse!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on ~ 2020 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page