Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What we are working on ~ 2020
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on ~ 2020 Next Topic
Page: of 24

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2020 :  8:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just love to see the beautiful things my sisters make. I have been working on wool too but haven't posted. I should learn to do that.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  08:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I haven't seen the BOM from snuggles quilts. I'll have to check it out. Have you check out Buttermilk Basin? They have some wonderful prim patterns. I think she also does a free BOM.

Bonnie, welcome to the world of wool. I love working with wool. I love the look of wool, so prim.

I've been plugging at this scarf that I started back in mid December. A kit I bought at a local yarn shop in Montreal.

I find that when using multiple colours of yarns, I need to have a loose tension, much looser than my normal. I am about 2/3 done ...

One major issue I have is that I enjoy a variety of hand work and they all seem to compete for one another. Do I work on wool, do I knit ..... hum maybe I need to piece a bit ..... a constant battle. But, I'd rather battle with hand projects than other things.

Hope you are enjoying a creative element. It is so important to find something that brings us peace.

Catch you all later,

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2635 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2635 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  08:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I love that scarf! Do you wind your yarn on bobbins with color changes? I started a hat for my granddaughter that has several color changes around the bottom. I ended up tearing it out so I could start over. I wasn't happy with my tension. Maybe that was my problem?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  08:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean by winding my yarn on bobbins. I do wind my yarn into balls since they came in a skeins. I use the balls as is.

I too took the scarf apart often until I realized the tension was the issue. So, loosen up your tension so that your stitches are smooth. The scarf is knitted in the round ....

Hope this helps!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2635 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2635 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  09:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you have to carry more than 2 colors across the back of your work when you have so many color changes...how do you manage to keep the different yarns from becoming a mess? Sometimes I have cut off several yards of each color and wound them onto a small plastic yarn bobbin and knit from those, instead of separate skeins of yarn. If this makes sense!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  10:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, Oh I understand ... I just move the balls around .... It's a question of grabbing the colour the same way all the time ... IOW not take up then under then up again. I drag the yarn in a consistent pattern so it doesn't really get that tangled up and when it does, I just untangle by moving the balls around.

In my case the black is on top and the white is dragged on the bottom. And when the gold is introduced it's in between!

Hope this helps.

Carole

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  11:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I think you girls who can knit like that are amazing!
Carole your scarf is beautiful. As I have gotten older I have enjoyed scarves so much. Summer and winter. In the winter I keep them wrapped around my neck and I'm much warmer. I believe I like them better than the long scrunchy tubes I sometimes wear when doing outside work.
Keep on keeping on knitting. And remember to show us what you are knitting.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2635 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2635 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  1:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, that is a huge help! Thank you! I will try doing it that way when I start the hat over.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2020 :  2:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful scarf, Carole.

I have so much yarn that I need to make something with - either knitting or crochet. To me, crochet seems to go faster, but I sometimes find knitting more relaxing. I have never knitted with more than 2 colors - your explanation of keeping the over/under order consistent makes sense and if I ever use more colors I will remember that.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2020 :  07:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of these creative and fun projects inspired me to work on an idea that I have had for a long time. My kitchen was redone in 1990 and not much has changed as far as the basics go. When I added my old gas stove from the 1930s that I found about 10 years ago, I headed down the path towards a more primitive and old timey look. My kitchen is small compared to most today so there is not much room to make drastic changes. To set the stage for why I did my latest project, here are some older photos of the key pieces of my new endeavors.

First the old gas stove. This photo was taken one Thanksgiving when I staged it to look like I had made my pumpkin scones in it. It gives you a sense of the little corner decor and that sort of old Farmhouse look I was after with a little wall quilt and a few other accessories.

Two years ago, I created my own little Buttery area with about 26 inches of space. In older homes, the Buttery was a storage place for equipment, canned goods, and dried goods for future use. Here is what I created to go along with the stove and the old timey look.

You kinda now get my direction so here is the latest effort. For many years, I have loved the look of old homes that preserved some of the old brick for various rooms. My favorite has been when that brick was in the kitchen. My kitchen has this weird configuration of the stove top which left this dead space behind it. Today, I would never do this sort of arrangement because it loses so much vital counter space which I could use. The corner behind the stove top is also dark and when I have tried to put interesting things behind it, they really don't show up well. Recently in a magazine, I saw where a woman found faux brick peel and stick contact paper and added it to her kitchen wall to fit better with her antiques and primitive style. WOW, I thought!! It never occurred to me that contact paper could give me the brick look I wanted. After searching on the internet, I found just what I wanted at Home Depot online with delivery to my local store. With about 5 hours and squeezing myself on the counter on top of the stove top, I finally got it all put up. Here is the result.

This paper also extends across the sink and counter area to the fridge. In reality, it is an outside wall that I am actually covering inside so the brick paper could, in effect, be a reality in an old house that was built with bricks. Well, if you use your imagination!! LOL!!

I love how this all turned out for $38 dollars and some hours of matching bricks on wallpaper and time working to get it all up properly. The other good thing is that if I dislike it later, I just peel it off and do something else. Originally, this area was painted a pale yellow to give it light, but as I said, that really never worked. The wall paper and a little jug lamp I had works so much better.

Here is an old Thanksgiving photo of a kitchen from the 1930s on an old Farm. I love this old photo and in some way, I am trying to recreate that feeling here in 2020.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2635 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2635 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2020 :  08:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I love your kitchen! It looks so cozy and inviting! I used to have an old Hoosier cupboard in my kitchen that I used to decorate for the different seasons. I had so much fun with it! But, I ended up selling it. Sometimes I kick myself for doing it. One of these days if I ever have more space, maybe I will find another one. I love what you have done!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3452 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3452 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2020 :  1:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Debbie for your kind comments! My Grandmother had an old Hoosier in her Farmhouse that I remember from childhood. If I had space today, I would find one because of the memories of my Grandmother's kitchen. They are not hard to find, but you have to keep looking and be persistent and ready to grab it when you find one in good condition. They are still very popular.

That little stove of mine has brought me years of fun decorating it for all the seasons. Here are a few other photos where she is all gussied up! The first one is in Fall one year and the second one was in Summer when I had a little garden in the front yard that produced green beans, radishes, and a few tomatoes(before the bugs ate them all up!!) Note two little details: The little wooden box on the top shelf of the stove had the salt, pepper and two other spices in it on my Mom's stove all the time. If you look to the right side of the stove on the wall, you see a little yellow metal match older close by. That holder was from our kitchen for all the years we had a gas stove. Then Mom got a new electric stove and this little holder somehow made it to the basement storage and I claimed it many many years later. The little overalls on the scarecrow, were made by my Grandmother and were in a pile of old doll clothes that fit one of my dolls. I aways thought they were adorable and kept them in my sewing stuff for "someday". I created that little scarecrow one year and the overalls were just perfect. I am pretty sure Grandma made the little felt hat because it matches the overalls. Who knows why it was first created, but I loved it and kept it.

Isn't it interesting how our kitchens are often a starting place to collect those" littles
from our Mom's and Grandmother's kitchens that got passed along. In the photo of the Buttery, the bottom shelf has a few favorite cookbooks. If you look closely, the old black and grey books, beside the crock, were my mother's cookbooks. They were filled with recipes from old magazines, pamphlets from all sorts of place about things like canning or jello, or new products. She cut and pasted them on paper and then organized them in these two books. I love going in and seeing some of the favorite recipes she made us growing up.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2020 :  3:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Love your kitchen, Winnie. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2020 :  5:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool kitchen.i use black and white check contact paper both as the upper back splash and up high above my old cabinets. I "antiqued"the check because my wall paper border is vintage farm animals. In my sewing house, that had been a wood working shop, I used the check as my counter top cover...later when I added a 4' x 8' cutting table...it got the same covering.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2020 :  6:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We are getting ready to get granite countertops in the kitchen and the master bath. I need to figure out a tile backsplash. Any ideas?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2635 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2635 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  07:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, so cute! Thank you for sharing!
I love personal cookbooks like the 2 that your mom put together from clippings, etc. I was at a yard sale a couple of years ago and found a binder like that, just full of a woman's personal recipes and things that she had cut out. I snatched it up and thought it would be fun to just go through it and learn about who this woman was through her book. When I took it up to the table to pay for it, I got to meet that woman! And she was just delightful! She was so happy that I was taking it and I was happy that I had found it and got to take it home!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  1:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, isn't it amazing how we get to know people and places.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  1:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful photos Winnie! Love all your decorating ideas.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  5:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have my mother's main cookbook, too. The cover is completely gone, she covered it with contact paper, and it has some bookmarks I made for her in Girl Scouts. Lots of memories in that cookbook.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  6:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a small community cook book from Huckabay. A very small community we lived in when my son as in Jr. Hi and High School. I had done a cook book with my second and third grade class as their gift to their parents at Christmas...then the next year the Home ec class did a community cook book. Both of mine are dog eared, stained, etc. The community book has some special additions as well as lots of scribbles....by me of course.
The thing I love is the memories it brings to mind...of the sweet ladies in that community.
I remember being told not to ever say any thing negative about anyone out there because if you did you were most likely saying it to their cousin or other relative.
It was not until about five years ago, while subbing at Lingleville..that I realized how many kids had married their biggest rival in basketball. Those small communities are only ten miles apart!
One year the superintendent at Huck decided she did not want her students mingling with those other kids. We were in their new gym. Most of the Huck kids were sitting in the Lingleville student section...including my own two grand kids. We laughed at her as she stormed about.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  8:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I also have a small, very old cookbook that my grandmother's women's group put together many many moons ago. The cover is heavy wallpaper. I love looking through it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9176 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9176 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  1:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, this cookbook has contact paper my mom put on it too!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  07:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, love how you decorate your kitchen ... That stove is adorable. I too love an older home.

Carole

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2020 :  8:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I love your stove and things from your family. I luckily grew up cooking on my grandmother's wood stove. Oh the delicious food! I also love the really old cookbooks that tell you how to run your household and do the wash. I collect small rolling pins (a few big ones too).

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2020 :  05:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bon is your collection is awesome. I especially !Like your blue crock bowl. Is it vintage? I have never seen one so pretty.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on ~ 2020 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page