Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 April Learning Together: Easter Traditions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic April Learning Together: Easter Traditions Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2020 :  1:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, it was interesting to hear about your husbands German-Russian tradition of the prune noodles dish. It sounds like one of those things you have to grow up with to appreciate it's gift to annual traditions. My Mom also made a Lamb cake for Easter dinner desert and I am lucky to have her old pan. Today it is sitting on the foyer table surrounded by vintage eggs, When my children were little I made it often but they still really wanted frosted sugar cookies in Easter shapes the most.

This year our church is having a virtual service only and I must say a drive in service sounds like a great idea! And annual park egg hunt adjustment sounds like it will be fun too, albeit in a totally different way. Who knows, it might become requested again by the kids!

Yesterday, I dyed about 6 eggs and right now I just put the hot cross buns in the oven. Even if we are suck home, it will still feel like Easter morning to have hot cross buns with hot coffee@@

Happy Easter everyone and I hope you all have a beautiful and blessed day!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2020 :  2:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie sometimes I think those old recipes were dreamed up by mothers who did not have much to cook with. When I was about 12 I noticed a pint of tiny green mustang grapes on the shelf in grandma's pantry. None larger than 1/4" . Of course I asked what they were for. She said they would become a pie.
Now as a kid I spent a lot of time with a hand full of salt and a cluster of green mustang grapes...making a big frowny face each time I bit into one. My cousin and I would sit in the big grapevine swing in grandma's barnyard each afternoon with our snack.
Since I grew up and learned to cook, I have often thought about that jar of grapes...and wondered how many cups of sugar it took to get a sweet pie out of those sour grapes.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2020 :  11:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! Marilyn, My mouth puckered just reading about those grapes! Love all the traditions!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2020 :  12:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a young mother,I miss going to church with my grand-parents then going to their house for Lunch and all the kids Greats and Grands would hunt Eggs! AS a child I miss putting on my little white gloves and new shiny shoes, watching my Aunts get drsses, My Granny putting on her beautiful hat! Then we would leave for the 6am Live re- enactment Easter Sunrise Service on the Hill behind my Elementary School. Three wooden crosses was all you saw at first on the Hill. The church that presented it every year would set up rows of folding chairs on our Playground. It was like a Broadway play. You kept your eye on the Hill for the actors coming from the other side and you hear gasps from all over the Audience! It made a great impression on me as a child and I never forgot it! The first year I saw it was 1963. they stopped sometimes in the late 1970's.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2020 :  9:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet that was truly awesome to see re-enacted . Especially as a child.
Neat!

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic April Learning Together: Easter Traditions Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page