levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9221 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9221 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2020 :  1:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any of you who also enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles?
I know Connie enjoys them. I was just wondering. I have some Charles Wysocki that I enjoy as well as ones called Hometown. Right now I have been doing a four season. One puzzle for each season. I did spring and summer and will start the fall puzzle soon.
For those who do them, where is your favorite spot to set them up? I have a game table but it is not big enough so I have to do mine at the dining table.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 13 2020 1:46:32 PM

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1172 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1172 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2020 :  1:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to love doing puzzles. We set up a card table to do them on. I don't do them anymore, except for the ones online occasionally, because the kitties think that a puzzle is a 1000 piece kitty toy.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2020 :  2:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you do with them after you finish them?
We had a restaurant many years ago that had many framed puzzles on the walls.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9221 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9221 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2020 :  03:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith,
Kitties think everything is for them don't they?

Marilyn, I put them back in the box until I want to do them again. If it is one i really enjoyed doing. Mostly, I do keep them. A while back I went through and got rid of some and boy was I sorry. So at Christmas JT got me some I had on my wish list. I have gotten quite a few off eBay because for some reason the Charles Wysocki ones are very expensive on Amazon.
Connie posted some on Facebook when she is working on them and then when she gets done. Not sure where she gets hers. I used to get them at Bits and Pieces too.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 14 2020 03:52:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2020 :  05:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way back in the mid 1980s, I took a break from teaching and we ran a lodge and restaurant at a lake, about an hour or so from where we live.
Hubby best friend had bought the property, land and 8 cabins from an old lady.
Her dad invented Melmac dinnerware.
One day, we were over at her home place and my husband led the way through the old fishing store she had once operated. What I noticed, on my whirl wind tour, were fishing lures and puzzles. Not puzzles in cardboard boxes...these were in round, shallow tins. I wanted so badly to see up close, but Mr. Impatient said we had to go. Since I worked 80 hour weeks...there was no time to go back.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 14 2020 05:47:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  04:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grew up on jigsaw puzzles because my Mom loved doing them. Every Christmas, we all got her one big puzzle and then we all could enjot putting it together. Recently, my favorite puzzles were murder mystery jigsaw puzzles. I love reading mysteries and these puzzles are just another form of that kind of theme. It has been a number of years since I have put together a puzzle and these days, I have been thinking it might be a good idea for a change of something to do while being always at home. Hubby has no interest at all in doing them, so it is always a solitary project.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  06:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't enjoy puzzles. I tried when we first moved to the real country, 20 miles from any town, but I am too hyper I suppose. There are always many other things that need to be done. If I could just focus on one thing at a time, but that has never happened.
Laundry must be done today...two loads!
All of the tender vegetation must be uncovered...because the wind laid and a frost was predicted...I must wait until 9am to uncover them!
I hope that was our Easter spell...three cold nights!
Sorting my sewing stuff needs to happen...someday!
Going thru my closet, also needs to happen...someday!
I know why I seem to never get around to my closet---because I have other people and critters who need my attention, and as a nurturing wife, mother/grandmother figure I find myself being called on a lot.
Then there is the PAIN! Right now, if I do not take something soon...nothing will get done!
So, here goes......

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  06:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We enjoy doing puzzles. We usually start our first one right after Christmas. I leave it set up on one end of the dining room table (it seats 8) and whoever stops by always seems to navigate towards it to do a couple of pieces. I keep some of our favorite puzzles, but donate a few to the nursing home as well. I usually use my discount coupon at Hobby Lobby to stock up on puzzles before Winter starts. I do like to order from Bits and Pieces too, they have some fun ones.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9221 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9221 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  07:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After mentioning Bits and Pieces yesterday, I went online and found a few I really liked. There is a little delay in shipping but I have plenty to keep me busy puzzling until then. That's a good idea Julie. We only have us two here so we don't use the whole big table table. When pulled out with the 4 leaves it seats 12 comfortably. But of course we don't keep it that big. Even with no leaves in, it seats 6. If I could just keep it cleared off to use it for a puzzle. LOL!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2020 :  8:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed and I love puzzles - so far we have finished 5 puzzles in our COVID-19 captivity. Four had 1000 pieces and one had 550.
Here are 4 of the 5 we have done. Do you see a theme here? Cats and/or quilts.

I have 3 more 1000 piece puzzles and 1 1500-2000 piece puzzle to do.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9221 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9221 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2020 :  09:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda those are beautiful. I am working on my fourth one now. It is a 1000 piece. I have never worked one bigger than that. The other 4 were in one set called Four Season. This one is called Lilac Point Glen.

I have 6 more 1000 piece ones i havent done yet. They were Christmas gifts from JT.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 18 2020 09:21:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2020 :  12:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Three of these were bought at garage sale or thrift shop and had 1 or 2 pieces missing, but the other 2 had all pieces. I find working puzzles challenging and relaxing at the same time.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9221 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9221 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2020 :  1:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, The one of the quilts in the last picture is beautiful. I can't remember which puzzles I ordered from Bits and Pieces now but they should be here soon. Guess I had better get moving on this one.
I have always enjoyed doing them. When I was growing up, my aunt always had a puzzle set up on her card table. Everyone was allowed to help with them. She was really more like my grandmother, her mother, who passed when I was 6. She babysat for me when I was a baby, about 10 months until I was almost 4. My uncle got sick and she needed to care for him. I have some great memories doing puzzles with her. We had many talks while working on them.
When I finish these I am going to pass them along to the grandchildren. A few of them love doing them also.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2020 :  11:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I loved the finished puzzles that you and Ed did together. They are so CatCute!!

Denise, your farm puzzle looks fun too. I look forward to the finished product as well.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2020 :  11:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, grew up making puzzles. I have always loved them and there have been nights when I'd lose all sense of time and still be working on finding pieces when it was 4 am and I had to go to work the next day. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9221 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9221 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2020 :  2:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

JT helped me get this one finished today. It was harder than I thought it would be. I told him they should have just called it Windows.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 19 2020 2:55:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2020 :  7:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH I love your puzzles Linda and Denise!! Here are my most recent ones. I love the sewing one! The USA map is hard!! Just got Elvis!http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Snitz/Images/2020/04/87261741_2588989561319221_6757600263902593024_o.jpg?v=30391353 My Dr. said they are good for my MS brain! and healthy Brains too! I need all the help I can get!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Apr 20 2020 7:32:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9221 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9221 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  04:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, how many pieces in the Texas one?
How fun would it be to have all the states?!? Where do you find your puzzles?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 21 2020 04:16:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  10:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Denise and Connie, I love your interesting puzzles! They turned out gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing photos with us. They are inspiring!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  9:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bits and pieces is a great place for puzzles.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  06:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie are those soda or pop bottle kids in tnat puzzle just above Elvis?
The Alamo is very nice.
Y'all have fun!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  07:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie are those soda or pop bottle lids in tnat puzzle just above Elvis?I
When I was four, my daddy bought a helpy selfy laundry in Lubbock, Texas. I loved the little cement drains that seemed to run all over. The ladies came early with their tubs of laundry. Since no one owned but one car, the husband's dropped their wives off and then my daddy took them home. As soon as I had my breakfast, I ran over to where my daddy was. The house was next to The laundry. Already very busy with !adies using their pokey sticks to push The clothing, sheets, towels, etc. Into the boiling hot soapy water. So I learned early on of the dangers of wringer washers, although I never saw anyone get caught, I heard The tales.
Back to the pop bottle caps...I loved them! I would raid The cap collection cup on each drink machine...after all laundry was hot steamy work...and every lady had a soda pop to help her cool off a bit. I'm sure The sugar have her a surge of energy to finish up too.
Those pop bottle caps became my little boats, which I would carefully place in the lazy river. Of course it became a foamy hot river filled with rapids when a lady released The hot wash water! I quicky learned to only put one of two boats in the river at a time, because the rapids would carry them away, and due to The hot water I could not save them. The first rinse water was also not but by the time the clothes reached The third rinse...They were cooled down. Then my big strong daddy would pick up The tub or tubs of wetness, carry them to The trunk of his car, so he could drive The lady home...where he had to carry The heavy tubs to The clothes line. Sometimes I got to ride along, other days I had to watch my little sister (2) and brother (1) while mother watched over The laundry activity.
So that is why I am still fascinated by bottle caps.
If you have been to the Caribbean I'm sure you have seen how creative those folks are. What I remember is The steel drums that make such beautiful music and The dancers who have made shakers, from bottle caps, that are tied around wrists as well as ankles, actually about 8-10" up each leg.
The Alamo is very nice.
Y'all have fun! I
It was fun to think so far back in time...I remember the smells of hot soapy water, and bluing.
Tide was just coming on the scene...So most ladies had grated lye soap, soda ash, bluing and powdered Faultless starch in their laundry supplies.
This was 1948-1949.

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 22 2020 07:20:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  10:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise its 1000 pieces!
Oh Marilyn, It is Bottlecaps! What a Sweet memory Story!! I can see you gleefully running around playing with the Bottlecaps! I always loved how clean the laundry Matt smelled! In the Early 1960's we went once in a while. we didn't have a dryer. sometimes in winter we would go. I loved the machines with the tiny boxes of washing powders and tiny bottles Downy softner.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  10:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, Marilyn. And hearing about the ladies using wringer washers is neat. I think I remember my grandmother had a wringer washer and I remember her pushing clothes down and the water draining out to a floor drain.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  10:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I get my puzzles, from Hobby Lobby (when they were open) they carry White Mountain and you can use the 40% off coupon. White Mountain.com has a lot of fun ones. Good quality if you want to glue them. I also trade with my Aunt and Uncle. Trade with my neighbor. and I have bought some from ebay but only new ones not opened because you never know if all the pieces are there. Wal-Mart has great ones. 1000 piece ones for $9.99. I got the sewing machine one at Wal-Mart.
This is how far I have gotten.( Denise I haven't go over to the East coast yet to New Jersey!) this puzzle is 3 feet long!
I am thinking of gluing this one to teach Lily June about the USA! I work on my puzzles after supper about 2 hours. My eyes get tired easy. I do enjoy it! I can't tolerate the summer heat anymore with my MS, so I will work on them in Summer too. I go out after 8pm in the Summer to water my small raised beds and patio pots.
Hugs! Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Apr 22 2020 10:33:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  11:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn wow what a neat story neat!

Hugs

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Puzzling Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page