Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Paying Tribute to Special Mothers!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Paying Tribute to Special Mothers! Next Topic  

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 04 2020 :  4:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought perhaps, since Sunday is Mother's Day, that we might all enjoy sharing some special memories of the one we call or called Mother. You may also want to include grandmothers.

Texasgran

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 04 2020 :  5:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother was 27 on October 6 th and I was born the next day. She had to have a C section. So my first 14 days were spent in the hospital with my sweet mother. I still have my baby book, which is a bit tattered because it is 76 years old. But my mother drew little sketches of the gifts I received and wrote who gave them to me. When I was two my mother went back to the hospital to have another c section, and I got a baby sister. The doctor fixed her so she could not have any more babies, because at that time doctors believed two c sections was the limit. And yet 13 months later she had a baby brother for us. That ti.e the doctor made sure she would not be back again. During those baby years it was hard for Mother. She must have been exhausted. She was so busy with two babies, she did not have time to entertain me. So I had two friends who lived behind the kitchen door. Their names were Olene and Drain! We would play and dance and make all kinds of happy giggles.
My mother made all of our clothes, and she used embroidery to make them special.She cooked our meals,
She grew a big garden and canned the food so we had good food in winter. She cut and curled our hair! My mother was very intelligent, but had tons of common sence. She made little what not shelves from Apple boxes from the grocery store. She taught me to use a coping saw and make my own little shelf. I remember, when I wss Six, sitting on my knees as she showed me how to draw. That day I wanted to draw pretty ladies, faces.
So that is my memory of my mother during my first six years.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 04 2020 7:12:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - May 04 2020 :  5:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn a lovely thing to do to for moms.
My mother has been gone 8 years this August. It feels like yesterday. One thing I am grateful for to my mom and her mother is the love for sewing and creating that they passed down. I took Home Ec. in junior high and high school. It was one of my majors when I graduated. Anyway, I had been learning to sew and my first pattern was a midi skirt. It was such pretty material my mom and I picked out to make it. Everything went well until I went to put it on, for some reason the teacher didn't have us try them on prior to putting together and when I was finished I couldn't get the waist around my waist. It was cut too small and the waistband was already put on. We were supposed to model them and then we were graded. Well, I was so disappointed and when I took it all home my mom couldn't believe the teacher didn't have us measure ourselves or anything. We just made them according to the pattern size. Well since the skirt was a bit on the long size, she showed me how to take it apart, remove the zipper, and we made a new waistband and put it all back together and it fit beautifully. I wore it for a long time. I was so grateful to my mom showing me how to do it and showing me how to sew after that. She worked and didn't have loads of time but she took the time to show me what to do. The next time we made something, I did a blouse. It was much better and I even used it for textiles class where we were learning to hand embroider. I chose a D with a vine entwined around the letter. Mom was so proud of the way I was progressing and when I graduated she was happy that I had majored in Home Ec. and Business. I never knew how she felt until my own children graduated. She taught me a lot more than I ever realized.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 04 2020 5:31:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 04 2020 :  7:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, what a beautiful tribute to your mom.
My mother also taught me to sew, and cook and in second grade after I spelled cookies wrong on the spelling test...that became her mission. So I learned to sound the word out in syllables, mentally divide it up and spell the parts. After she set me straight I always made 100...but I will never forget her horror at my spelling of cookies.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2653 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2653 Posts

Posted - May 05 2020 :  7:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are such fun stories! I will think on this and write something before Sunday. I have been paying bills all afternoon and my brain is a little tired....haha! This was a fun break reading these!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  06:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was sitting here thinking about my mom and was remembering at her graveside service something my cousin shared. He said he remembered whenever they would come to visit and would comment on something my mom had, a little wall plaque or knick-knack or something she would bring out to show them, if they commented on how much they liked it, she would send it home with them or send it to them later in the mail. It's funny the things you forget until someone else brings it up. It was a sweet, lovely memory for me of my mom's giving heart. She was like that for as long as I can remember. And for those recipients they had something to remember her. I love listening to the memories that family members have of my parents.
I was born last and there is quite a difference of age spans between us 4 siblings. My sister always said it was like they had two families. They were dealing with teenagers when they were older and I think a bit mellower.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  06:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it awesome that you have such sweet memories. The other day I was also thinking of my mother. I thanked God, once again for giving me such a good mother. She worked hard and taught me by her example as she went about her daily life.
When I was three I remember her loading her dampened tub of ironing into the car, along with her ironing board,irons and three little ones. Then she drove to a friend's house to iron and visit for the afternoon, while we three rug rats played with the other rug rats who lived there.
When I was about 10, we went to visit a neighbor and mother took her crochet. So as we played she and Mrs. Bean crocheted those flouncey ruffled dollies. Did your mom's crochet those too? Did you have to stuff the starched ruffles with toilet tissue as one of your Saturday morning chores, like I did?
After our house burned down and We moved to town, dealt with trying to find a place large enough for a family of five, when an oil boom was going on...now that was a problem. We lived in one of five little rental houses. all in a row with carports between them. (They were the Drinkard houses, owned by Mr. Drinkard.) We had a big deep creek that was out back. Most of the time it was dry but when we had a gully washer it was big, out of its banks wild and scary.it was one of two man made deep creeks, man made to carry the water away so the town did not flood. Out in western Texas the land is flat, very flat.
My point of this story was that each house held a family. And each weekday the ladies gathered at one of the houses at 10 am for coffee, dessert and visiting. Of course we were at school...but when summer arrived guess what we discovered. Each house had a small backporch with steps that led down to the back yards.where the clothes lines were. One of the ladies was young and had no children yet she loved to bake and we loved her and the seven minute icing she put on her chocolate cakes.She would always invite we three kids as well as the other kids from the other homes to come into her immaculate kitchen to get a small plate with a slice of cake and a fork.then we would sit on her back steps to eat. Yummy! (Glass plates and real forks.)
My mother was such a friendly person, a good Christian mother.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 06 2020 06:52:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4651 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4651 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  7:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My mother passed away 15 years ago in July. I miss her every day. After I graduated from college, we always lived in different states. Like, Denise, my mother taught me all about sewing and crafting and creating beautiful things, as her mother had before her. My mother graduated with two majors in college, Music and Business. I learned to sew on her Featherweight sewing machine, and made lots of Barbie doll clothes. When I was older I made a lot of my clothes, and when I went to college I took my sewing machine with me. She had a buffet full of hand-crafting kits - cross-stitch, needlepoint, embroidery, etc. She worked full time once my younger sister started school, and yet she still had time for her family. She was a great cook, and I still make some of her all-time favorites. She was a smart and caring person, and she was very special to me.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 06 2020 :  8:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More beautiful memories. Thanks Linda.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2653 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2653 Posts

Posted - May 07 2020 :  08:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the best stories!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2653 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2653 Posts

Posted - May 07 2020 :  08:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking about early childhood memories of my mom. One that really stands out for me was when I was about 4. It was before Christmas. I remember taking my nap and I could hear mom sewing in the other room. I wondered what she was working on. When Christmas Eve came, I found out! Santa Claus had brought me the sweetest doll crib and mom had made all of the bedding for it. She had used remnants from a blanket, complete with satin binding and a chenille bedspread and had made a little pillow. I loved that crib! That Christmas I also got my little play kitchen. It was 3 pieces, a refrigerator, a sink and a stove and made of metal back then. I think the fridge was no taller than 18" maybe. I played for hours with those! She made me Barbie clothes and dresses growing up. She sewed a lot of my school clothes until I started sewing in junior high. She did beautiful embroidery work. She made me a pair of pillowcases and I remember her asking me what colors I wanted the little girls dresses. I think I still have 1 in my cedar chest. She used to do a lot of ironing and did ironing for the neighbor lady. One time she exchanged ironing for the neighbor lady to sew me a velveteen dress with pearl buttons. She was still ironing a couple of weeks before my little sister was born...but she had dropped the ironing board down so she could iron sitting in a chair. She let me iron pillowcases and dad's handkerchiefs so I could learn how.
She was/is kind of quiet and shy. She is deeply sentimental. She loves her family and we love her.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - May 07 2020 :  1:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are beautiful memories Linda and Debbie.
Debbie when you mentioned your little kitchen set it made me think of a tiny little vanity my mom remade for me for Christmas one year. I may have told this here before but mom worked as a seamstress in a factory where they made ladies undergarments. Anyway she would bring home loads of fabric they could no longer use. Dad worked in the part where they would put fabric on these huge rolls. It later became a knitting mill and he worked for them then too. Anyhow, one year mom had gone down to our basement and got a little vanity that my sister had had. It has two arms that met in front when closed and a tiny little drawer. It was shaped like the top half of a heart in front. I can still picture it. She painted it white and used this pretty fabric with tiny roses all over white fabric. As it got closer to the bottom of the fabric the white gradually changed to a pretty pink. She pleated and thumb tacked that skirt along one arm and all around the back and along to the other arm. She decoupaged some pink roses she had cut out of a card on the top of the vanity. When the arms were closed you couldn't see under but when they were open I could sit on the small stool with my legs under the table. She hung a little white framed mirror above it in my bedroom. The was my best Christmas present. I still have two of my baby dresses that mom made. One is kind of faded pink now and is embroidered on the front. The other is this white gauzy material with a white lining and she put embroidered ribbon around the neck and short sleeves. I have a picture of me in the pink one somewhere around here.

Marilyn, thanks for starting this thread. It brings back so many special memories of our mothers and all the love and care they gave to us.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 07 2020 1:23:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 08 2020 :  03:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I love reading all of these precious memories too. You're welcome.
Mother said that when I was born she could not buy soft cotton fabric to make a special baby dress for me. Someone she knew went to Mexico and returned with fabric for a dress for me. I still have it. It is not cotton nor is it white. I'm guessing it could be rayon. Off white.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  11:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Mom was such a treasure to me and the older I get, the more I continue to appreciate all that she did for our family! She passed away in 2007, but I still wish I could just pick up the phone and call her and talk like we used to. We had a big family and a very busy household. I was the youngest, and between all five of us plus my grandparents, Mom had her hands full. She taught all of her children how to take care of their own clothes, do chores to help with the home life, be kind to each other, and be accountable and responsible. She and Dad gave us a lot of love but they didn't take any talking back or sneakiness being their backs either. We all felt loved, I think, and respected our home together. Mom loved to sew and she made so many beautiful clothes for all of us girls. She also loved all holidays and made wonderful decorated cookies for every one of them. Holidays were always special, and birthdays meant you could request your favorite dinner and type of cake to have. In a big family, that always felt special to me to have it "my way" for my special day. My Mom also taught me how to sew, knit, and crochet. While she could do complicated things, I thank her all the time for teaching me so many crafty things that I continue to enjoy doing today. I loved my Mom and I hope that as I age, I can be a grateful and cheerful as she was all 93 years!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  3:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful memories about your Moms!
My Granny raised me. She taught me a lot, most importantly to always put God first!
I remember kneeling beside her on our knees saying our prayers! And a wonderful warm feather bed that she tucked me and my aunt Judy in. And as soon as she tucked us in, I had to pee! LOL!!
Happy Mothers Day! Love ya all !
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on May 09 2020 3:14:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  5:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie that is funny. I'm glad you have wonderful memories of your Granny!
I hope that someday my grand girls will find their early memories of life with me and smile as they think back...

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  08:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted this on FB this morning.

"Some have had kings in their lineage,
Some to whom honor was paid.
Not blest of my ancestors - but,
I had a mother who prayed.

I had a mother who prayed for me
And pleaded with the Lord every day for me.
Oh what a difference it made for me -

Some have worldly success
And trust in riches they've made -
This is my surest asset,

My mother's prayers could not save me,
Only mine can avail;
But mother introduced me to Someone -
Someone who never could fail.

Oh yes..I had a mother who prayed for me
And pleaded with the Lord every day for me.
O what a difference it made for me -
I had a mother who prayed."

Love and miss her everyday and following her example in prayer for my own family. She was my bff.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 10 2020 08:58:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  08:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Mothers Day sweet friends <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  1:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Mother's Day everyone here!! Connie, I loved your photo you shared and Denise, your tribute prayer to a Mom was simply beautiful. I know my Mom prayed for all of her children and we prayed for her and Daddy too!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4651 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4651 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  2:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Happy mother's day, everyone here in the henhouse.
My son came and brought Ed and I and himself BBQ lunch from Soulman's BBQ here in Texas. YUM!

Hugs to all!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  7:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I just told everyone Happy Mother's Day over on RAOK.
I also pray for my whole family. I tried to teach my son to be a thankful, giving, praying person. I think he turned out awesome. I helped God in that endeavor. The fact that he was my first born son (only) meant he was blessed. It says so in the Bible. But God has kept him humble. He has employed some guys who needed work but could not work elsewhere. And they always learn about God as part of the job. He has been known to pass along jobs to other good builders who need work. He knows what it is like to not have enough work.
To me, the fact that he has so many friends, is so honest and trust worthy, admired by others...That says to me as a mother...God and I did somethings right.
So God bless each of you as this Special day draws to a close. I love each of you. And I pray for you too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2653 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2653 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  8:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Marilyn for all of the prayers for all of us! I pray for you, as well.
Denise, I can just imagine how sweet that little vanity was! I bet you loved spending time sitting in front of it and that your mom loved fixing it up for you, too!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  8:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie. Thank you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - May 14 2020 :  03:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I did love using that littlevanity. I remember having a little comb and brush set and a little bottle of cologne that I kept on it. It was watered down I'm sure. I couldn't haven't been more than 6 or 7 when I got that vanity.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Paying Tribute to Special Mothers! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page