Page: of 5

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  7:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We found out something new about oak trees. Ed found some interesting balls that had fallen from our largest oak tree in the front yard. We didn't know what they were. We googled a picture and found out they are oak galls and form on the leaves when a particular wasp leaves a chemical it carries on the leaf. They grow and also provide food for younger wasps. We learn something new every day.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2020 :  8:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
sounds yummy. I have no boxed cake mix here so need to get some - and jello. LOL!

We did have what hopefully is good news. My microwave and oven is a combination unit. When we bought this house, we got a 1 year home warranty. I called because the top of the inside of the microwave started bubbling and peeling, and a large section of the inside top is bare metal. It hasn't started sparking - yet - because we always cover whatever we are mmicrowaving because of the peeling and we don't want any pieces in the food.. The serviceman came out to check it for the American Home Services warranty and he took one look at it and said "that can't be fixed." He said he has gotten several microwaves replaced because of this peeling issue. And because ours is a combination unit with the oven, we will get a new oven, too. And this is good, because this oven reads hotter than we set it for; since we know this we set to the required temperature and when it is ready we lower the temp 15-25 degrees and everything cooks fine. We had seen them at Home Depot and Lowes, and the cheapest we saw was $2,800.00! Something like this makes the home warranty very valuable and useful. The few other things he looked at were cosmetic and he said it is a 50/50 chance whether it will cover them or not. Crossing our fingers.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  03:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, you can use any cake if you have a favorite homemade vanilla cake you can make it and then just do the rest the same as the recipe.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  04:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I cut up some fresh peaches and added a bit of sugar. Hoping to make some fresh peach ice cream this afternoon.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  04:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Homemade ice cream sounds so good! I haven't had any for about 12 yrs. I think. Peach is always so good. Do you use a hand crank or electric Marilyn? My uncle used to have a hand crank he used. Whenever we would go visit in the summertime he would make some. It was so good.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  05:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have made lots of homemade ice cream. When my son was a junior in high school, their class was given the concession stand early...as soon as basket ball season was over. This is how they earned a lot of their senior trip funds. With only three kids going on the trip, we three moms had to get busy.We each made a freezer or two or, more of ice cream each Friday, and brought it to the school about 3pm. Now that was a popular idea, (Donnas idea, not mine). Of course I made my ice cream during the week. Of course since I was teaching I froze it in the ice cream freezer, transferred it to a plastic freezer bag or
container and stuck it in the freezer. During his senior year we continued with he Friday thing but we also made at least two freezers of ice cream each on ball game nights. We even had people asking for flavors I had not ever eaten...but I was game to try their ideas.
When I began the milking of the cows, on Christmas morning, life changed. That Christmas gift blew up all over me.
Anyway the cows and kitties soon got used to the hum of the ice cream motor...well the grinding sound interrupted by the chunks of ice that caused it to pause then continue on. Sometimes I would have to really listen for the freezer sound...the vacuum pump was busy milking the moos.

Now I have a different electric freezer...the other one finally died.
This time however I'm going to try Heather's recipe for fruit ice cream made in the food processor.( She sent me the recipe with my June is Dairy month swap.) And I may see how it works in the ninja smoothie maker.
It should be fast and easy . Frozen peaches, heavy cream and a bit of vanilla. Since I added some sugar to the peaches before I froze them...I hope it is sweet enough.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  07:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love homemade ice cream. Haven't had it in a long time. We have a small electric ice cream freezer. Need to find it and use it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  08:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,

Great news to share .... I got my car washed! lol OMG, it was filthy from the accumulation of dust and pollen that became speckled due to rain drizzle .... Went into town to do some grocery shopping and decided that today was the day. You have no idea what my car looked like before I got it washed ... What a great feeling! Just thought I'd share my excitement! lol

It's the little things in life that brings the most joy! lol

Aside from that not much is happening. Being an essential worker, I am working today .... it's all good.

Hope you are all enjoying time with loved ones ... Happy 4th of July!

Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jul 04 2020 08:39:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  08:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My car is a gold color faded a good bit by the sun. I't is usually covered with kalachi dust. That is until it rains. My sister lives in Dallas. I know, she once told me that her car got a wash every time she bought gas. That was three times a week.
She could not or would not be seen driving a dirty car.I'm not like her at all.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jul 04 2020 08:38:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  11:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, yum....homemade ice cream! I was just looking at the store today for a flavor that I swear that I had seen before...chocolate covered strawberry. Couldn't find it...it might have been a seasonal flavor. I don't think it would be hard to make, maybe use mini chocolate chips or some of that chocolate magic shell for the little bit of chocolate flavor.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  12:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My poor car hasn't been washed in four months, but it hasn't been driven in three months. The few times we've gone to the store we go in the truck.

We had hand crank ice cream makers and I think peach custard was the only kind we ever made. We always did that for Dad's birthday parties. The little kids always had great fun cracking it until it got to tiff then Grandpa had to take over.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  2:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was interesting about the oak tree Winnie!
I have not had ice cream in an age but home made ice cream has been years. It was so good.
I miss it.

darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  5:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, my kids used to love the magic shell stuff.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 05 2020 03:34:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2020 :  03:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a little bit of rain on our picnic yesterday but the kids had brought their canopy along so it didn't deter us. We roasted hot dogs and marshmallows and had other picnic fare. We ended with the poke cake and watermelon. I wasn't to sure how the cake was going to come out but it was good. We all enjoyed it. We played games. The kids sure enjoy board games. Especially the youngest.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 05 2020 03:43:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2020 :  07:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks yummy!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2020 :  12:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was so light and good.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2020 :  11:56:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
100 degree heat index today. Went out and picked cherry tomatoes for a salad for supper. July has brought the Summer heat!
Connie#3392
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2020 :  12:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That cake looks to die for! Almost as good a chocolate....
Our little tomatoes are producing like crazy, too. We planted a Sunsweet last year that not only survived the winter but kept producing tiny sweet orange tomatoes. I love eating them right off the vine.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2020 :  3:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie the heat has taken over for sure! Since our atmosphere is so unstable...the humidity is pretty miserable. My son, and T. finished his hay last nght...so we can enjoy every drop of heavenly moisture.
The radar shows little showers all around us.
Yesterday I asked my hubby to go get me some little tomatoes. He said, " where am I going to get them? " To which I replied, " off the tomato jungle out there. "
I the no he was surprised when he picked a hand full in about three minutes.
Aren't they so yummy!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2020 :  3:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie the heat has taken over for sure! Since our atmosphere is so unstable...the humidity is pretty miserable. My son, and T. finished his hay last nght...so we can enjoy every drop of heavenly moisture.
The radar shows little showers all around us.
Yesterday I asked my hubby to go get me some little tomatoes. He said, " where am I going to get them? " To which I replied, " off the tomato jungle out there. "
And he was surprised when he picked a hand full in about three minutes.
Aren't they so yummy!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2020 :  08:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your cake looks yummy, Denise! All of this talk about homemade ice cream....when I was at the store on Sunday they had ice cream makers RIGHT THERE when I walked in, just calling my name! So, I had to bring one home with me! That is on my to do list this week!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2020 :  10:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh fun Debbie!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2020 :  04:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are not even into the middle of July and already I'm looking forward to August and September weather.

I spend almost as much time inside in the summer months as I do in the winter. The difference is the summer is full of light and sunshine!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 09 2020 09:15:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2020 :  06:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, that 4th of July cake looks gorgeous and yummy!! What a treat!!

Connie, there is nothing sweeter that fresh picked cherry tomatoes! They are always delicious and add a big burst of summertime flavor to any dish!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2020 :  05:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love cherry tomatoes. Especially homegrown. It seems you can taste the sunshine. Going to go to our local farm today since they are now open. We've been waiting for some sweet corn. Hopefully I will find plenty of goodies. Had some zucchini with dinner yesterday. A friend had given it to me when we got together for brunch. All sliced and ready to go. It was so delicious.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 13 2020 05:19:59 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic July~2020 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic