levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9127 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9127 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  03:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone! Welcome to August.
We are still in the dog days of summer. Until August 11th anyway.

For us here in the mid Atlantic it hopefully means temps in the 80s. Some days still get hot but we don't have too many days in the 90s. You never know though.
Personally, I start looking forward to fall and have been know to decorate for it before the end of this month.

For me this month is the start of the best half of the year. We have birthdays every month from July to December except November. Unfortunately most of them are in Ohio and we can't make every one. But I've started birthday shopping and will get started on Christmas things. I've already started one gift that will be handmade. Takes me a long time so I'm hoping I'll get it done.

I hope you all have a month of wonderful things planned and that August will be a great month for all of us.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 01 2020 03:15:07 AM

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  04:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
August 3rd is the day my son was born.
He is the only one who has ever heard my heart beat from inside my body.
August 23rd is when our second grand child was due. She made her entrance into this world just before noon that day un the year 2000. So she will be 20...this year!
August is generally HOT here in Texas.
Many years ago I noticed that there is a change in the wind???? Or the atmosphere around mid month...that is always my signal that autumn is on its way.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 01 2020 04:57:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  05:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
August is still in the worst part of Florida summers. Hot and humid weather exists and both the Atlantic and Gulf waters are at their warmest. What I like about August is that it begins to show little signs of change down here. The Longleaf Pines shed their needles and the new pinecones grow, the afternoon thunderstorms knock down the tiny new acorns from our big Shumard Oak and Laurel Oak trees. Some of the Virginia Creeper pesky vines will prematurely change colors as they wind up the trees in the city park. These little signs are like a promise to me that Mother Nature is on track toward the fall equinox and all the trees have gotten the memo!! LOL!! Most of our summer local produce is finished and farmers are planning for their fall planting in September. Soil pests and punishing heat are not favorable to tender new plants. We need to wait until the days are not as long before new crops get started.

However, August is that month of change because schools start and the pace of the week changes again. Because of school starting here in August, most people are not doing vacations much anymore. Often the beaches of Florida have issues from too warm waters. The Gulf can have serious red tides and excessive jelly fish making swimming not possible. Then the east coast gets all stirred up with various storms and rip currents are more prevalent as well as sharks lurking about feeding on particular fish. These are generalities, of course, but August brings it’s own changes that cause us to turn to other focuses. Plus I think many people think about Fall and look forward to cooler days and maybe getting out to pick apples and plan a fall leaf visit somewhere. Fall is a big deal to many people!

In the meantime, I will enjoy the peak of the Georgia peach season as they fill our grocery produces areas down here!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1153 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1153 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  10:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
August is still the middle of summer for us. It's a nothing month -- no birthdays, no holidays, no signs of fall. Hotter than blazes. I'm trying hard to think of something good about it...... Ahh -- the Perseid meteor shower in the middle of the month when we take a picnic dinner up to the hills and sped the night watching the falling stars. The past two years weren't too good because of a bright moon but this year it is during the dark of the moon so it should be pretty good.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  2:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here if you do not plant your squash seed in the ground by early to mid August, tomatoes too. They will not make before the first frost.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  5:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
August has always been the hottest month for me growing up in Illinois, and in Texas it is not much better. My mother always told me that it was 110 degrees in the operating room when she delivered me. And that was before air conditioning - at least in that hospital.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  2:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I have been having a time. I need some advice. I am walking with a cane and has anyone else experience your hand is kind of numb or not strong. I have the worst time writing doing anything.
But good news I am having my surgery on my right knee the 11th. And truthfully I am so ready. I can barely walk and face planted myself a few times. And I want to be able to do things again. Haven't been able to do anything.
We have been having a quite a bit of rain. I want to send out thoughts and prayers to my farmsisters on the east coast with the hurricane coming in. Stay safe everyone.

Well Terry and I have ate our fill of watermelon this year and they were so good. But there didn't seem to be very many cantaloupes this year for some reason. But peaches were awesome.
I am ready earlier post to try to catch up with everyone. And what everyone is up to. I miss everyone so much and just hopefully after my surgery some things will be so much better.
I just heard some thunder, and my sweet dog Duke took off for the hall bathroom and hides he definitely does like thunder. My other little dog is down at his little buddie's house.
Well I will close for now and look and see what everyone is doing.
Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1153 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1153 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  2:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee -- best wishes on the upcoming knee surgery. Could the pain in your hand be a carpal tunnel type pain from the angle your hand is on the cane? I have carpal tunnel from my job and have noticed if I use the cane a lot I can get the same kind of pain/tinging.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  4:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, adding my best wishes too for your knee surgery! When you see your ortho doctor next, be sure to ask him about your hand. I have had carpal tunnel in both hands and surgery for it as well. It usually is a non-surgical fix with wearing a brace and some Physical therapy. Keep us posted!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  8:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee best wishes for a good surgery and a fantastic new life following.
God bless you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9127 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9127 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  06:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee good to see you. Prayers for your knee surgery.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2627 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2627 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  07:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, you have been on my mind so much lately...so good to hear from you! I bet you are SO ready to have your surgery and get it behind you! Just a few more days!!! You will feel like a new woman! Praying all goes well with your knee and hand.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5982 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5982 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2020 :  11:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, are they going to get you a walker after the surgery? That is safer than a cane until you get stable.

Take care and keep standing.

Your in my prayers.
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  12:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what I did too. I started with my mother's walker because it only has two little wheels. Water than the one with the seat. But hey, the seat was perfect when I got better...I rarely eat on it, but it is awesome to put the laundry basket on it to take laundry to be washed and dried or to take it in and fold things up...Then put them away. It is also a good place to set a small bag of trash, scraps for hens and dogs too. Finally I graduated to my trusty cane...Then to just my two legs Therapy is the best thing you can do after surgery..and some healing.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9127 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9127 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  07:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is sunny and beautiful. You'd never know we had that storm if it weren't for the limbs and tree down.

I'm still painting. Seems I find something else to continue with everyday. It will look all fresh and new upstairs if I keep it up.

JT had his interview yesterday. Went well. He has a test to take 8 am tomorrow. They want to fill this position quickly so at least it won't be a long time to find out. Sometimes it takes months.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 05 2020 08:00:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  08:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, doctor called after reading my MRI results this morning. And Yes, I do need to have rotator cuff surgery. He said I definitely have bone spurs that need to be removed, and there is some fluid on the cuff, which could mean a small tear. He should be able to do everything through the scope, even if there is a small tear, which he can't see because of the fluid. I am hoping that is all it is. He said I also have a little arthritis and bursitis in the shoulder.

We are getting ready to paint, too. Ed put in the wainscoting back splash in the kitchen and will paint it today - maybe. He is in his recliner right now. LOL! We also need to paint 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and paint the cabinets in the kitchen and all three bathrooms. We got a quote from CertaPro, the company that painted out living room paneling and hallway and removed all the popcorn on the ceilings and painted them. Even with a 10% discount their quote was for $9,600. YEOW! Most of that is the cabinets and trim. Ed is going to start by painting the cabinets in one of the bathrooms or kitchen. If it goes well, he said he will do it - piece by piece. If not, we will pay and get the cabinets done and he will paint the walls. That will save a little bit.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5982 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5982 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  10:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn is your walker one with the brakes on the arms or just a regular walker with a seat?
My therapists talked to me about the one with brakes and told me they weren’t as good for balance be a they can move unexpectedly.

My regular one doesn’t have a seat on it,
That would have been nice to carry things.

Well have a good day

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1153 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1153 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  1:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda -- Did they schedule the surgery yet? Or is there going to be a wait due to the virus. I hope they don't make you wait painful months to do surgery.

Walkers -- My first one after the back injury was borrowed from the neighbor and didn't have wheels. When it became evident I wasn't going to heal overnight I got one with wheels and a seat. It had brakes and you could lock the brake so it was stable. That one got trashed so we got another one, same as the previous one but the brakes didn't lock. If you get one try and find one with locking brakes if you can. The seat is very handy for shopping, carrying things around the house, and giving the cats a ride.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4631 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4631 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  1:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The only wait will be our vacation Aug 31-Sept 12. The medication he gave me is helping, so only painful if I move wrong. And I don't want to do that because I don't want to tear anything.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5982 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5982 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  7:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well keep well Linda, hope they help you soon!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5982 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5982 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  7:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is something I found on another post!
On Hogs and Quishes! I think that is what it’s called, just thought I would share it with you!
Her name is Becky ( Horsecrazy)
See her for more information.

Hi there! I need help making index cards to put inside "snack bags" that are distributed to kiddos without food both during summer and throughout the upcoming "school" year. We are in new mexico, and the children have loved getting words of encouragement with their food. I need some sisters to come alongside and help me with the weekly quota! Please let me know if this is something you would be interested in, or perhaps you have a group that could take it on as a project? Thanks so very much! Have a wonderful day!

Farmgirl # 4943

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Aug 05 2020 7:39:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  8:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene. I have both kinds.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9127 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9127 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  06:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interview went well. Yesterday JT had to take a test. They require it for everyone who interviews. It was a video chat type so they could verify he was taking the test himself. Really don't know which way this will go. Will be interesting to see. We have plans for either outcome. Both involve moving out of NJ. So I will continue to spruce up the house for selling sooner or later depending on the outcome. I am still trying to be in downsizing mode also as I do not want to take anything we do not use. Really puts a different perspective on things when you are packing and paying to move stuff. This is the longest we have ever lived in one place. Doesn't take long to accumulate.
I am working through some peaches JT brought home. They sure do ripen fast. Peach pie is on my to do list today.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  09:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Growing up, August was still Summer fun! for us kids! We didn't go back to school until after labor Day! All the community center pools were open until August 31st. Grown-ups canning food from the Gardens! No thought of school! It was still hot here in the South and no air condition, so we wore the same clothes that we wore when we got out in May! Sales would start after Labor Day and no more white shoes!

As a young wife, married to a school teacher, the middle of August became getting my hubby ready to go back to school and then in the 1980's getting my Holly ready to go back. So I had 2 to shop for and and wash and iron school clothes. I was always signed up to volunteer at both their schools! I would be one of the room Mothers every year at Hollys school from 1st to 6th grade. I would go in and do Monthly Bulletin Boards for my Husband. He was not good at that! The kids told him so! LOL!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 07 2020 09:08:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  09:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Marlee, Prayers for your knees. I know how you feel. I had my knee surgery in 2005.
Prayers Linda! for pain free days! I can't paint anymore, but it sounds exciting! all the new sprucing up for your Home!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  10:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I am sorry you have to have shoulder surgery and I hope it will fix things up for you and be an easy recovery!
Marlee, praying for your knee surgery that all will go well and you will have an easy recovery too.

Denise, keep us posted on JT's job interview. It could be exciting and an adventure coming soon!!

Connie, your comments were the same things that I experienced in my childhood of the 1950s. We never went back to school until after Labor Day and August was always the last hurrah for summer activities as well. Did you experience a brief cool down for a few days towards the last week or so of August?? In Virginia, we always had a few day front that was a wee reminder that school was beginning and September would be bringing cooler mornings too. Gosh, how I wish Florida could get a break like that!! LOL!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Aug 07 2020 10:33:40 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Arrival of August 2020 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page