Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 August Learning Together: The American Porch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic August Learning Together: The American Porch Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  12:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I subscribe to the magazine Capper's Farmer and the latest issue had a very interesting article on House Porches. The beautiful wrap around porches of the old houses here in Gainesville have always intrigued me and seem so perfect for the kind of weather we have down here. In order to learn more about this iconic house addition, I did a bit of research on the history of porches and then more specifically the American Porch.

Porches were popular in Greek, Egyptian, and Roman buildings as simply covered entrances to front doors. When the space was expanded in front of the main entrance and then decorated with big columns, the entrance was called a portico. We have seen many examples of this on museums, large public buildings, schools, and churches .

Here in America, early settlers came from Europe and did not have a history of housing with porches. Many lived in buildings that faced the street and one simply went directly into the entrance and up stairs to their living quarters. These sort of "condos" or apartments were small and utilitarian. When they came to America, they had to build their own housing and often it was simple wooden frames, dug outs in hillsides, and later log cabins. It wasn't until the early colonies were better established that they began to make bricks and use stones to create sturdier housing. Depending on a person's income, housing remained either very simple or had possibilities for better building materials. If you have visited colonial museums and houses in New England and the mid-Atlantic states, many houses did not have a porch.

The American porch that we often think of got its start during the Civil War Era here in the South. It was thought that porches added grandeur and curb appeal to the grand old plantation homes. At this time the Greek Revival style was in style and big front doors and porches with columns were popular. We can think of Gone with the Wind to get the typical image of the emerging American Porch.

Following the Civil War era, the Victorian era of the late 1880s introduced houses with lots of fancy gingerbread trim, smaller columns, and wrap around porches. In this era before cars, porches were important places to escape the hot inside of the house, catch a breeze, visit with neighbors, spend time with family in the evening, enjoy nature and even rest and eat meals.
Swings, comfortable chairs, and tables created spaces that encouraged spending time when the weather was good. These porches became part of the American family experience.

As the arriving 20th Century took over, the invention of autos, electricity, and electrical appliances began to change the value and need for porch use. Inside there could be fans to offer cool breezes, radios to listen to, and gramophones to enjoy. By the 1950s, television became popular and houses had become much smaller and compact in size for the average family. Plus the streets were often noisy from traffic and telephones allowed neighbors to talk to each other from their own home The trend for porch use faded from American life. Over time, there have been revivals but having a porch is often no longer affordable in housing or desirable if you live in a busy city. But the old idea of the American Porch of the late 19th Century and early 20th Century still lingers in the memories of today from the stories of grandparents or parents who lived when porches were always a part of the warmer months.

I grew up in a house that did not have a true porch. We had a stoop into the front door, and a tiny porch off the kitchen big enough to have a safe place for the milk delivery container and a few flower potting items. In my neighborhood, people sat outside in the backyard under shade trees and visited. Neighbors would walk over and sit down for a visit when the weather was warm. Many of us had a standard picnic table where we ate evening summer meals since there was no AC. When I came to Gainesville, I went on a house tour in the old original section of the town and learned about sleeping porches that were just screened porches off the second floor bedrooms. Gosh, how I would have loved to have that growing up!!! I have vivid memories of sweating through my nightgown and sheets some nights in Virginia.

Today, I have a covered pergola area that has outdoor furniture, a light and ceiling fan and tin roof. It is still effected by wind and rain blowing in and only outdoor sturdy furniture can exist. However, I love our porch area and my husband and I use it during the early morning and evening hours most every day. The one issue is that there is no screen so the mosquitoes can be an issue at times. In the cooler months, we can enjoy the area more and sometimes like to eat outside and have friends over to visit.

What about you? Did you experience porch life with your childhood? Do you have a porch today that is an important part of your home life? Please share your stories!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  1:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love porches! Grandma had a back porch which was high off the ground. It had steps up to the porch, a rail around the sides. She did her wringer washer laundry there. The sleeping porch was just for sleeping year round...Her front yard was a SWEPT yard. Meaning it was clay, hard and she swept up the leaves.just as if it was inside the house.
Great granny had a porch with 3 lawn chairs. Each day after lunch was eaten, the dishes cleaned up and the table wiped off we sat on the porch and visited as we watched the people drive by. Same thing after supper. Now I was not there every day.but....
My son built porches around his home...cement. They now have chairs that are heavy enough and my glass table also heavy so they can sit,eat and dry my son's blue jeans out there on the back porch.
My neighbor friend has beautiful porches front and back. My son built their new home for them.
We have three doors that lead out doors, with a small porch over the Front door. Funny only strangers ever go to the front door! My big porch is on the front of the sewing house.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  3:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always wanted a decent porch but never had one. My front porch is big enough to come and go and hold a few plants; not big enough for even a rocking chair. My son built his house and incorporated the porch I've always wished for -- it goes around three sides of their house. The grandkids put futons out there to sleep in the summer and there are hummingbird feeders and wind chimes.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  8:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know when your warm seasons are three fourths of the year..
It stands to reason that big wide porches are great! Problem has always been money. It is costly to pour the cement for the living area indoors. So many times folks dont add the porches. I think they regret it later.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  9:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I do miss my porch on the farmhouse. It was 8' x 24' I think. Unfortunately, there was a problem where the house is - it is on a ridge, and it is windy there a lot, which is nice if you want to sit on the porch. However, I wanted to be able to decorate the porch for the seasons and holidays, but nothing would ever stay where you put it, I'd find things all over the place and they would blow into my neighbors field. The wind picks up and there is no way things will stay put.

Our new house has no porch. Outside the door is a covered 4' square area with a big brick post. Then off to the left of the entry there is a fairly large area (basically the length of the living room) with gravel that I have a table and 2 chairs in right now - there is a 1' tall brick wall/ledge at the front edge. The back wall of this area is the fireplace, and I see no way to cover the area unless we put an umbrella up and I'm not sure that would look right. I also thought about one of those awnings, but since the fireplace sticks out from the window wall I'm not sure how it would be mounted OR how it would look since that is the front of the hosue. I'll have to take a picture and see if you have any ideas. We have plants on the ledge and a solar lighted butterfly, dragon fly, and hummingbird.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2020 :  5:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did not have a porch on the house I grew up in. Well, we did have a sort of porch built off the back. It had about 3 steps up to it and it held our wringer washer and a couple of cabinets above that were metal. You had to go through it to get to the back door which was a step up.

We have a porch on this house that is a supposed to be colonial but doesnt look it with the porch there. It is the length of the front but only about 4 ft deep. It is enough room for us to have a small round table, three wicker chairs,a rocker and small wicker table. On one end we have a metal glider type 2 seater. We do eat out there on occasion. We are at the top of a hill so anyone from the road has to look upward to see the house. It is nice because even though cars go by when we sit out there people rarely notice so it is kind of private. We only decorate for our own enjoyment because everyone drives by too fast to notice what is on the porch. We get a lot of wind from off the fields across the road because they are also up on a hill.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  4:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am enjoying reading all of these stories of porch life from each of you. It was fun to read about how porches have been important to homes off and on over the centuries.

Linda, have you considered building a pergola where you currently have some patio furniture? Normally they don't have a cover except maybe vines, but you can have one made, like we did with a little pitch roof and underneath the top, you can add a fan and electrical light. They just run the wiring from the beginning and it all ends up with extra outlets on the inside surfaces of the poles. You have to have a concrete base to it, but it isn't a huge space so not that costly. We love ours and it was a good solution and cheaper than trying to add on to the house a real porch.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  6:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a small town South of here, about 50 minutes away. They have a street that leads off the courthouse square...every home is elderly, but has been restored...and every home has a porch. On each porch sit a couple of rockers or more and a small table. In summer huge Boston ferns hang from hooks placed just for that purpose.
Porches were built on the fronts of homes, that had no a/c, so the porch offered a shady place to sit. Then because many people walked to town (remember when families had only one vehicle.) as people walked by homes where people were sitting on the porch, they would stop to greet the neighbors! People new to the neighborhood would quickly be counted as friends!
People were friendlier in many cases than today.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 03 2020 6:30:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  06:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I read that same information too. I think the modern advancements of technology put people more inside and the result is today, we hardly know all of the neighbors in suburban neighborhoods. Everyone is inside doing their own thing. Cars and technology made it possible for people not to depend on their neighbors because they didn't need them as much. Plus, during and after WWII more women were working outside of the house and the life style of suburbia and cities changed. Today, most families depend on two incomes to make ends meet and there is hardly enough hours in a day to keep the family together much less visit with neighbors from a porch. I wonder if the porch era is lost forever?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  7:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I surely hope not Winnie!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  8:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this Winnie! We had a screened in back porch. Holds special memories for me as child. My Holly lives in a Historical part of Midtown Memphis. All those houses in her neighborhood have big front porches, many screened. The neighbors still sit on them. Some have porch swings.Some have those outdoor Italian string lights. So pretty at night. I love to visit! The homes on her street were built in the 1930's and 1940's.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2020 :  8:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the lock downs have shown some younger families how important family time is. When this is over I really do think people will take a look at their situation and make changes. Like going back to living on one income. Maybe more porch time. Our President is trying to get us all out of debt. Many people have reported having student loans zeroed out, same with credit cards. Now I'm hearing about Mortgages being paid off...not by the borrower. So in the next few months we will see some major changes.
In the Bible it says that we are not supposed to have Debt. Debt is a sin. So I must spend some time with God. ... Asking him to forgive me because I've been a borrower for homes and cars throughout my adult life. Right now our house and both vehicles are paid for. But I need some serious time with God.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  09:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I agree, I think this has made a lot of people change their priorities! and sit on the PORCH more.
Half the girls Holly worked with at the salon, didn't come back to work. They are seeking other jobs and working for themselves.
I have friends whose Boss said, they can work at home from now on!! Yay! for those who wanted to and need to! Some others who have said, A $300.00 car note is better than an $700.00 one!! I cannot imagine a 800.00 car note!! I have never had a mortgage that high!!
It is Biblical to not owe any man, for in those days, you and your children could become slaves until the debt was paid off or until the year of Jubilee! Same for Co-signing another's debt. Its all in Proverbs!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  09:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Connie...this is the year of Jubilee!!!
Our young nurse and her hubby just got new vehicles
She had bought a car two years ago...Her very first one. She said the interest rate was 15%. His uncle works for a dealership and told them to come and look. So now she has a new car note with 5% interest and he got a super good deal on a gently used almost new truck.
There is a young lady here who has a shampoo bowl, dryer, chair, etc in a room off of her garage. She has had four babies, raised them and sews so beautifully...all while never leaving home, unless she must shop. She does hair,,not to earn a living but to have spending money.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2020 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice info Winnie. I grew up between my uncle's farm and my home in the city. Both had porches. The farmhouse porch had a swing that I loved. My city house had a small front and back porch with wicker furniture. Since the house faced East, we sat on the back porch in the morning and the front porch in the evening. Even slept out there. My home in Minnesota has a porch also...AND a porch swing! I love it.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2020 :  04:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the perfect childhood Bonnie!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2020 :  10:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie,
I just love a porch swing. I don't have one but would love one some day.
My aunt used to have a swing on her big front porch and I used to sit there with a couple of her kitties when I spent time with them. They were like grandparents to me so I spent a lot of time with them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2020 :  12:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great Aunt Mattie had a porch swing and I would swing as high as it would go singing at the top of my lungs!" Dem Bones song"! LOL! until she came out the front door and said to not go so high! I would get bored with no other kids around somedays. The grownups would be canning in the kitchen and I would get tired of helping and head to the porch swing! It was hot Summer time! The breeze from swinging would help a little and I fell asleep in the swing many times. My Granny would wake me up for the 75 mile drive home to Memphis from Dyersburg.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 09 2020 2:09:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2020 :  3:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a porch swing but I have a free standing swing. Just the other day, Had was telling her mom how much fun they had playing pirate ship on that swing. Every afternoon, all summer long when Bay finally woke up from her 3 hour nap, we would go outside. Hot?? Yes but my yard is so tree covered that it was 20° cooler than the driveway, etc! Had only took a one hour nap..but she learned to play quietly, or I would read to her until sissy woke up.
Then it was time for a snack and an afternoon of fun. We would get that pirate ship, out on the make believe ocean waves. I was sitting in the middle with them often standing at either end watching through their paper towel tube spy glasses for sharks, other boats, or land! " Land Ho! " when land was spied gran had to look in her apron pocket for the treasure map( it took about two maps for them to be able to read and follow along on their own.). Oh boy that was fun! While they were busy looking at the map I had drawn, I was busy stashing the prizes. More squeals of delight followed, back to the swing to rest and sing.
Bay was five and Had was two, some days were spent lugging a five gallon bucket with kittens inside, over to the swing...where they would hold them and love them and argue about which ones belonged to Had!
Some afternoons they "swam" others were spent running through the sprinkler...but every afternoon we had swing time. It was fun. That was when I discovered how talented each one was as they made up new verses to do heir favorite songs.
As Had said, I miss those to times too!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2020 :  4:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are sweet memories, Marilyn!! Connie, I love the stories about your Aunt Mattie's porch swing!! I really hope we are not the last generation to know about wonderful porch memories!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2020 :  11:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awwww Marilyn, Sweet, Sweet memories of your Granddaughters! What could be better than a bucket of Kittens and a pirate Ship!! and a wonderful Grandmother!! Like you!

This Is almost exactly how my Aunt Mattie's porch looked! The door and the swing are exactly in the same place!

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 12 2020 11:58:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2020 :  3:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm loving that screen door.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  06:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a sweet picture of a beautiful porch Connie. Looks like a wonderful place to relax and meditate a bit.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  06:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a lovely porch!! I love the swing and screen door. Most houses I have been in don't have screen doors and this house never has had them either. I grew up with screen doors on every door. They were essential for homes that didn't have AC. I would love to have them again just for the look they give an entrance.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  11:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was born in the Bay Area where summers were cool. No screen doors or windows. In 1954 we moved to our new house in a warmer area but still no screens. Nobody had a/c back then. When I moved here to the Valley everyone had screen door and windows. And a/c. It's hotter than blazes here and there are mosquitoes.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2020 :  12:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, on my two trips to tropical places...I was struck by how pleasant the temperatures were. Even though they were much closer to the equator...and almost always sunny...the ocean made them cool.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic August Learning Together: The American Porch Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page