Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - May 22 2021 :  05:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it would be fun to post a new thread and share some of those old sayings that we grew up with. Sometimes today, I still hear this bits of wisdom and families tend to pass down certain sayings from generation to generation. What is fun for me is to hear others say the same sayings that I heard.

It occurs to me that many sayings came from days when our parents and grandparents lived very different lives. Some were on rural farms, some in small towns running a store or working in a plant producing something, and some were in all sorts of professions like teaching, nursing, medicine , etc. I sometimes find interesting tidbits in the annual Almanac that reaches back to many of the eras where these bits of wisdom were part of the understanding of weather patterns and cultural understandings of how the world worked.

Here are a few of the sayings I heard from my parents and grandparents.

1. My Mom always said that every cloud has a silver lining. So many times, I have seem that she was right even though at the time she said it, I couldn’t see any silver lining at all.

2. When anyone had a sneezing attack with several sneezes in a row, my Grandfather used to say the person was just dusting off their brains. All I can say about that is that my brains sure get dusty a lot!! LOL!!

3. When my Mom was teaching me how to sew, I sometimes got so frustrated I started crying. She would say, Patient is a virtue, protect it if you can, Seldom in a woman and never in a man. Now I am not sure about the never in a man, but my own Dad was not known for his patience so it made sense at the time. Today when I am doing something tedious, I always remember that I better dig a bit deeper and be patient if I want to get the right outcome.

4. A second saying that I still do to this day came when my Mom was teaching me how to cook. It started with my Betty Crocker’s Girls and Boys Cookbook and I wanted to make oatmeal cookies. The first things she told me that day in the kitchen, which was teeny tiny by today’s standards, was the following: Always clean up as you go because if you don’t, you will have this huge mess to clean up that will make cooking a huge chore. Put something back right away after you use it, and always keep a bowl of hot soapy water in the sink and wash up as you go through the steps of doing whatever you make. Then at the end, you are left with very few items to wash up and a delicious outcome. To this day, I love to cook and I always keep those two simple steps in play and my little kitchen stays a lot more manageable

5. A sudden cold snap in Spring was called Blackberry Winter because if you looked, the Blackberries were usually in bloom. An unusual hat spell in late September or early October was always called Indian Summer. These saying were happening in Virginia and would not apply to me here in Florida at all. But I always remember my Mother and Grandmother saying them.

How about you? What old sayings did you hear when you were young, who were they from, and did you pass them along to your family ? I want to learn more so I hope you will share.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on May 22 2021 05:35:00 AM

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 22 2021 :  09:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dance with the one who brung you!
Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be!
My mother always said, "The squeaky wheel always gets the grease." In other words, when you are so meek and quiet no one notices, so speak up!
Make a silk purse from a sows ear???
Had loves these old sayings. When she uses them with her co workers, they often come back for an explanation.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9227 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9227 Posts

Posted - May 22 2021 :  10:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I heard those saying too. My mom always said to wash the "bungling" dishes when you cook. Or as you said cleanup as you go.

You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

My favorite was when we didn't want to run out in the rain for something, ie; to get in car, but rather preferred to wait til it let up, mom would say "c'mon, you're not sugar, you won't melt.

We're you brought up in a barn? meant shut the door.

When something made mom shiver she would say "someone's walking over grave." I remembered my girlfriend saying when I did that once and it was quite noticeable that a whole herd or rabbits walked on my grave.

Whenever mom would see a woman or girl who dressed scantily or provocatively she would say "there's no mystery there."

There were many more from her and dad but I can't think of them right now. Great thread!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1172 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1172 Posts

Posted - May 22 2021 :  11:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whenever I broke up with a boyfriend my mother would say "Men are like streetcars. If you miss one another will be along in ten minutes". She was right, but some streetcars were sure better than others.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 22 2021 :  12:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I'm glad you remember better than me! that you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear!
My parents always asked, "were you born in a barn?" When we ran out..leaving the door ajar!
I think we will think of more later!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4643 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4643 Posts

Posted - May 22 2021 :  5:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I remember these -
If your hand itches, you are going to receive money.
If your nose itches you are going to kiss a fool.

LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9227 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9227 Posts

Posted - May 22 2021 :  5:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I remember those Linda. Mom used to tell us if we dropped a knife a man was coming to visit. A fork was a woman.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1172 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1172 Posts

Posted - May 22 2021 :  6:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard all of those too. Also " Once a king always a king but once a knight is enough"; which didn't make much sense to me until I was grown and thought of a different spelling for knight. Sometimes Moms are shocking.
My sisters and I call all of these 'Momisms".

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 22 2021 :  7:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is funny that when our mothers mature, they often say things that make our faces turn red!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  05:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are all so fun to hear!! Many of those listed, I also heard. It is interesting from a national perspective that we have many sayings in our memories that are the same as those of Farmgirls from other states and completely different heritages? There seems to be some universality about the language here over the years.

Here is another one I bet many have heard too. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. When you were anxious and excited to do something: Hold your horses, now! My Dad also said one should never tackle the day on an empty stomach. He was a firm believer if a good breakfast.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9227 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9227 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  05:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
That reminded me of " don't put all your eggs in the same basket".

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1172 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1172 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  1:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A stitch in time saves nine. At least.....

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2643 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2643 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  1:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are great! I think I have heard them all from one older relative or another. It's interesting that some things are universal, no matter where you grow up. One that kept running through my head all afternoon yesterday was, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" I probably heard that more than once growing up....oops..

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4643 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4643 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  5:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting topic - in the latest MJF Magazine there are two pages of phrases used by our parents and grandparents, and maybe even US! Did anyone else notice those pages?

My mother cross-stitched me a pillow that is on my bed - "The older the violin, the sweeter the music". Until she gave me that pillow I had never heard that phrase before. I also have a cross-stitch sampler she made that says "Apple pie without some cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze". I love the old sayings.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  9:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1172 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1172 Posts

Posted - May 24 2021 :  01:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9227 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9227 Posts

Posted - May 24 2021 :  03:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about these I'm sure you've all heard. My dad used to say your a sight for sore eyes. And I can still hear mom saying a little bird told me. It's always darkest before the dawn, Mom would tell me that and so did my aunt when ever I was having a problem in some area of life as a teenager.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 24 2021 03:28:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  08:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh, these are all wonderful sayings! Thank-you all for sharing and making this conversations fun. There are so many and I too have heard several of the ones listed here as well. Sometimes I think I these old sayings get the point across better than anything else one could say which has perhaps accounted for their endurance through the years. Sometimes, I remember when I was young that when my Grandparents or even Parents said one of the comments to me, I didn't even get what they meant and would have to ask what?? It is such an interesting thing to grow up hearing things, not really getting the message but remembering them. As an adult, when I would hear the saying again, I would finally get the meaning and context and then would find myself using those same sayings in my conversations. Anyone else find that happened to them as well?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  11:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love them all! My granny said many of yours.

She always said, when something was in abundance, that it was more than "Carter's little Liver pills!"

and, "Knee high to a grasshopper" and the one I heard the most was

I'll be there if the Good Lord is Willing and the Creek don't rise"

and if we said, there is no where to sit, she would say, "Sit on your hand and lean back on your Thumb."

Oh how I miss the sound of her voice!

Connie

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  11:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I remember some of your Granny's sayings too. I absolutely resonate with missing the sound of both my Grandma and my Mom's voice!!

I once saw a beer listed in a brewery as "Mama's little Yella' Pills"!! I thought that was a very clever name for a beer from the brewery that I ordered one and it was pretty tasty.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1172 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1172 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  12:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie I recall most of those too. When the kids asked what was for dinner the answer was "wind pie and air pudding".
My Grandma's equivalent of swear words was "my stars" and "land sakes".

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  2:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith! Love those too!

I had never heard "My Stars" until I joined Mary Jane's Farm and I just adore it! When ever I read it, I smile!

Connie #3392
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2643 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2643 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  5:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remembered some that my husband got from his grandpa, who was quite a character and a story unto himself..
if something was really fancy or impressive, he'd say..."just like Jimmy Carter!"
They also say "knee high to a grasshopper"
And another that I had never heard before was, if someone asked them, "how's that grab ya?" they'd reply with "like a barbed wire girdle"!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9227 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9227 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  07:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom always talked about having to go around Robin Hoods barn. I still use that phrase. Has any one ever heard, I had to go to Egery and back to get that?
Robin Hood's barn refer to going the long way to get somewhere and going to Egery and back meant going far.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Those old sayings! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: