nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2022 :  6:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a request for some cow pictures. We don't start calving until the middle of April so I don't currently have any little baby calves. They're all a bit older and weaned. I will post pictures when we have new ones born. But for now here's some of the cows:

This is actually the next one in line for the freezer. This is our steer Tank. I was trying to get some pictures of the ice on the trees and he was trying to eat my camera.

I did manage to get one picture before he attacked LOL!

A couple of the girls having a snack

We also have a herd of cats on the farm. They have taken over the calf hutches since there are no babies in them.

They don't seem to mind the snow too much LOL!

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3770 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3770 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2022 :  6:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness Tank is so funny.
I love the cows and the cats are so cute.
How lucky are you my friend. Can not wait for the babies.
And your field of snow, nice.
Do you have any doggies?

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

684 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
684 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2022 :  6:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather I love the pics from the farm! Thank you for sharing. We are not farmers but when my son was 5 we bought two calves to raise for beef, but our son named them and they essentially became pets, lol. It was an interesting experience but we wound up selling them to a cousin to breed.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month-August 2022
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3770 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3770 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2022 :  6:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that Wanda, I can only imagine how hard it must be for some who name them animals.
You are my hero Heather and I am happy we can follow along with you on your farm life.
Thanks again for sharing.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2022 :  7:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you enjoy the pictures. We don't currently have a dog. We have in the past but decided to wait until we get our new farm before we get another one. The cats multiply everyday. I think some are the neighbors tom cats coming for mating season but others we think were dropped off. One of the grey ones (looks a lot like the one in the picture above) showed up one day just carrying on like crazy. As soon as we opened our back door it shot into the house! We don't have any house cats LOL. It took a bit to break that habit but it gets along with the rest of them just fine. We asked all the neighbors and no one claimed it. It still hollers at us but at least it doesn't carry on all day long anymore LOL!

I grew up eating cows I named so I'm used to it. We raise our steers on all hay - no grain so they get to be here for 3 years before they go to the freezer. By then they're not so cute so it's a little easier. Plus they taste really good LOL!

I'll tell you my chicken story tomorrow. You'll get a good laugh at that one!!!

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2022 :  7:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the pictures, Heather!!! We had beef cows growing up but I always wanted a dairy cow. Dad had a few that I was more than excited to send to the freezer…especially a one eyed Angus bull that would chase you!
Your gray cat looks like Brad’s Simba cat.
I am anxiously awaiting your chicken story!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2022 :  04:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather, great photos!
When I was growing up my dad got a pig to raise for meat. We named it and he was the one who couldn't bear to butcher it so he sold it to a neighbor who was more than happy to get the meat. After that he stuck to raising his chickens.

I remember those nasty butchering days. I hated the smell of those feathers after mom would dunk them in boiling water barrel to get the feathers off. We did many of them on those days and my aunts would come and help and they would take home fresh chicken meat. I hated chicken when I was young because we ate so much of it. Mom and Dad raised chickens for all my young life. I think I was around 15 when they gave it up. Mom would candle and grade the eggs everyday. We sold so many.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post. Look forward to hearing your chicken story.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2022 :  10:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feel free to share away! I love to hear your stories too.

My chicken experience is actually the complete opposite of Denise. I grew up with cows and of course some cats and dogs, but that was it for farm animals. My brother got me a gift card to tractor supply one year for Christmas. My husband needed something one spring day so I was going to get something for myself with my gift card. Lucky me - it was chick days!!! I can't remember the exact numbers but I think we bought 10 layers and 5 meat chicks. Boy those chicks sure were cute! We put them in an old water tub that had a hole in it with a heat lamp and I loved listening to the little chirp chirp chirp! I learned a lot about raising chickens and I'll have to get into that another time - we had some issues this morning (getting the dump truck stuck twice trying to haul manure) so I'm way behind on making cheesecake for my nieces birthday tomorrow and canning some taco soup. Anyway the story I wanted to tell you all was about butchering day. I have no real life experience with this. I heard stories and read some books so I'm as ready as I'm going to be. My husband did the hard part with the axe for me. The rest was up to me. Defeathering wasn't fun but it was manageable. By the third (of the three LOL) I was starting to get the hang of it. Then it was time to clean out the insides. I took the chickens into the house for this. I had an upside down headless, featherless bird in my sink. I was carefully reading what to do to get the innards out the best way possible. It seemed easy enough so I reached in the chicken and honest to God my headless, featherless chicken made a chicken noise!!!!!! I have never jumped so high in my life! I threw him back in the sink and jumped half way across my kitchen!!! Luckily no one else was in the house. After my heart started beating again I laughed at myself. Apparently I pushed some air through its trachea. No one or nothing I read warned me that I might think my chicken came back to life during the butchering process!!! We had the best fried chicken I've ever had from those guys, but I've never butchered a chicken again LOL!

I never thought to ask my grandma about butchering chickens because my grandparents moved to town when I was young. I never knew her to garden or raise chickens (she did that when my dad and aunts and uncles were little). I'm not sure what she found funnier - the chicken scaring the daylights out of me or the fact that I was reading a book to figure out how to butcher the chickens.

Here's a few of the hens.

Have a great weekend everyone - I hope I was able to make you laugh!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3770 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3770 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2022 :  10:44:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great story Denise!
And Heather your life on the farm must be wonderful for you and I bet you have more stories like the one above. Just too darn funny.
I can not wait for more from you and others.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

684 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
684 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2022 :  11:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a great and funny story, thanks for sharing!!
I just don't think I could eat any meat if I had to do the butchering, lol.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2022 :  12:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed the story :) Taking a quick break before I tackle the dishes LOL! The next story I have for you is about a girl and her house:

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3770 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3770 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2022 :  12:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at that face Heather, so cute.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2022 :  1:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Heather that is funny and sounds like something I would do. I could never stand the smell of raw chicken after butchering them all my childhood. Blech! I never dressed a chicken. My mom and aunts did that. I never tried on my own because someone told me you have to be careful not to break a sack of something that is inside or it will ruin the whole chicken.
I love your baby photo! They are so cute baby animals. Do you have any goats? I had a dwarf goat once. Named him Max. I kept him at the farm of a friend and he got into something and died. I always loved the little ones.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2022 :  12:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise - that's how I feel about tomatoes! After canning all the tomatoes it takes me a while to eat them. I can't stand the smell of raw tomatoes. No, we don't have any goats. I always thought a couple of the fainting goats would be fun LOL! We only have the cows and cats right now. I'd love to get some chickens again sometime.

Sorry to keep you waiting for the next story. Life got busy LOL! We had a calf a long time ago that was as cute as could be but she had quite a bit of ornery in her! When they're little (as you can see from the picture above) they fit so nice in their hutches. As they get older they can over power their houses! This particular girl was fine until it was feeding time. Then she would stretch her neck out as far as the chain and collar allowed her to then put her head down and butt the air. It would cause the back end of her hut to come up in the air. She did this all the time and it wasn't a problem. Then she got bigger and started butting more. One time she butted and flipped her hut over. What does she do then? She drags it behind her as she runs to meet me in the driveway and drink her milk. I should have known better than to give her another chance. The second day she flipped her hut then looked at it, looked and me and took off running!!!!! Luckily when the hut slammed into my car it scared her and slowed her down enough I was able to catch up to her and stand on the hut. It was enough weight she couldn't go any farther! After that she had stakes put in her hut on 3 sides. She tried and tried but didn't go on anymore adventures. I can only imagine what the neighbors would have thought if they witnessed that. I'll tell you why I wonder what the neighbors think for my next story!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2022 :  05:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Heather LOL! Life on a farm is always an adventure!

My daughters can't stand the smell of cooking tomatoes anymore. I wanted them to learn to can and so I thought raw pack tomatoes. Well they hated peeling them, because it was messy. By the time we were done they didn't care if they ever saw another tomato. Then I decided to do sauce and they found that much easier when the tomatoes were run through the mill. They still hate the smell of cooking tomato though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3770 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3770 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2022 :  08:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How I love clicking on Farm Fun everyday to see what story has for us and Denise too.
I am enjoying farm fun so much, thank you for keeping us laughing and smiling,

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2022 :  12:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're welcome. Thanks for reading :)

The neighbor story. (Just for the record our neighbors are a WONDERFUL older couple - she's in her 90's and he's in his late 80's.) One summer day my husband and I went out to the pasture to get the cows for milking. Christy was laying down chewing her cud and in no hurry to get up. Nathan (my husband) sat down and leaned up against her. She gave him a sniff and pretty much ignored him. So being funny he sat on her back. She didn't mind one bit - acted like he wasn't even there. Well, I'm not going to be outdone! I went up to Annie gave her a petting and talking to. She was also quite content to just lay there. Until... yup, I had to sit on her just like my husband did to Christy. Annie didn't take it nearly as well. Before I realized what was happening she was up and running with me on her back!!! All was well until I realized she was not going to slow down or stop before she reached the barn. This left me 2 options - jump off while she's in the grass or wait and see if she slows down once she hits the cement. I thought the grass was a better option. So naturally I took one leg up and over the top to jump off her side. WRONG MOVE!!! The next thing I know I'm laying on my back in the pasture laughing so hard - Nathan is running up the pasture hollering "Are you alright?" but I'm laughing so hard I can't answer him. I don't recall doing it but he said as I hit the ground I bounced on my butt a few times (like a rock skipping on the water) before I came to a stop. After I got my laughing under control and my husband assured that I was fine, he helped me up and there sat the neighbors in their car on the road! I waved and they waved back laughing. I have no idea how much they saw - we never discussed it - but I'm guessing I made their day LOL!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2022 :  12:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention - Annie got her name because she was born on our anniversary :)

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2022 :  5:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Heather, it's a wonder you didn't get hurt or at least bruised. I'm sure you made their day once they found you were alright.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

684 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
684 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2022 :  5:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could just picture the whole scene as you told it, lol. Sounds like life on the farm is never a dull moment!

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2637 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2637 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2022 :  6:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Heather!!! You need to write a blog about your adventures! I love your stories and I love that all of your animals have names!!! You could probably do your photography badge with all of these cute animal pictures!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2022 :  11:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad you all enjoy reading this. I started a blog once - I didn't do very well at keeping up with it! I have done some of the photography badges with my farm pictures. Not sure if they're all complete or not. I'll have to check. Luckily not everyday is quite so exciting LOL! There are some dull moments. I don't have a story coming to mind at the moment so I'll post a couple pictures before I go clean up the kitchen from - you guessed it - making more butter!

This is one of my favorite fall pictures.

A beautiful sunset

I love the way the sun highlights the calf

playing with the camera one evening

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3770 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3770 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2022 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Blessed in Colorado

Oh Heather you have me laughing so hard, I wish I could have seen it all too. Especially you bouncing up and down on your butt. You and your hubby seem to have so much fun, what a wonderful life you have.
My Sweet Wildflower you are quite the photographer, you really are.
Would you mind if I copied them? I would like to get all four blown up and framed.
Thank you again for all your stories and pictures.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9181 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9181 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2022 :  1:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful pictures Heather!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2022 :  5:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind if it's just for your personal use. I'm glad you enjoy them that much!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3770 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3770 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2022 :  5:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They you so much. But I can not copy these would you be willing to email them to me? I promise you they are for my personal use. Thank you.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Sep 06 2022 8:40:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Farm Fun Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page