TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2022 :  6:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The old farm house that we live in has an opening between the living room and kitchen. Above the opening is a space, about 12" X 96". I've always wanted to hang photos of some of our
Beauties.
When we moved here in 1992, there was a dairy herd across the lane. I got some good photos of them too.
But when life gets full of grand babies, etc...guess what , i never got around to the photos.
Heather I love your pics.
Have you ever thought of making a picture book and getting it published???

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 03 2022 6:38:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2022 :  1:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's never too late Marilyn! No, I never thought of a book. I've briefly thought of one day maybe making some cards or calendars. Right now I don't have the time or money to invest in something like that if they don't sell. One day I might though.

A funny story from when I was a kid:
My sister and I each took a red and white calf to the fair for 4-H (only for 1 year). I was so excited on show day. I washed my Lily and brushed her and walked her around outside so she wouldn't get dirty until it was show time. As soon as we walked in the ring she decided the saw dust looked awful cozy and she was tired - she just layed right down about 4 steps into the show ring!!! I was so embarrassed! I had a heck of a time getting her back up. I believe my face was as red as she was LOL!

Did any of you take any 4-H projects to the fair? We only showed cows the one year but I took a lot of other projects for many years. My mom was our sewing leader for a while and my brother learned to sew. He was the highlight of the modeling day when he showed off the pajamas he made!

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2022 :  2:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did 4-H as a kid. Most of my projects were handwork, sewing and growing things.
For a long time I had a child's apron that I made but I don't know whatever became of it. My daughter entered her cross stitch and I entered a quilt and we both brought home blue ribbons that year. I always enjoyed 4-H and the fair

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 04 2022 2:03:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2022 :  07:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got my 4-H introduction, I was probably 10 or 11. Cooking was my thing, but sitting there in a room, crammed full of other kids, just was not for me...so I went home and cooked with my mother. She taught me to drop those home grown tomatoes in a pot of boiling water, and watch closely for the skins to split, at which time I had to hurry to remove them from their hot bath, put them in a bowl, and with the help of a fork remove that skin and drop them into a canning jar.
I was 14 when she said it was time to teach me how to prepare a chicken for frying. She bought the naked dead birds from her friends who also sold us eggs. That job of getting the liver, gizzard, heart, etc. out was gross! I'm now assuming they had already removed some of the guts...but I was not a fan of having to reach into that body cavity! But that teaching session served me well, because when I married I needed those skills. Cutting up the bird...lets just say it was anybody's guess what piece of meat they were getting to eat...from those first birds I cut up at age 14. My younger sister and brother both wanted to get the wishbone so I had to try to cut it away first.
Thankfully I got better, and Mother got a rest!
Funny how time passes and things change! When I was growing up the only chicken to buy in the store was a whole chicken. Now the fat birds, if you can find one are enormous. Mostly I see breast tenders, breasts with or without bones, legs, and wings. In containers you can purchase gizzards or livers and yesterday I saw necks! Things have really changed. I have never killed one of my own birds. When I was around 12 I watched, along with my siblings and cousins...as three women (our moms) used the ax to chop the heads off of some "yard birds". Then they hung them from the clothes line so the blood could drain from their bodies. The memory that I have never forgotten was of those "chickens with their heads cut off" running about the yard.
Now let me ask you, have you ever before heard of "yard birds" or "Someone running around like chickens with their heads cut off"???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2022 :  09:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your blue ribbon Denise. Every time the fair comes around I say "I should look into bringing something to the fair next year" and never get around to it LOL!

Marilyn - I've heard of and use the expression running around like a chicken with their head cut off but I've never heard of yard birds. I couldn't imagine the chickens hanging from the clothesline. They have cones now that they put the birds in before decapitating them. It also contains them afterwards. No more traumatized kids LOL!

I can't think of another story at the moment so here's a couple more photos.

Now I'm having trouble uploading. Guess it's just one picture for now.

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2022 :  1:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I've definitely heard those but we had so many chickens we didn't refer to them as yard birds. We weren't traumatized by seeing chickens with their heads chopped off. We thought that was the most fun part of butchering day. I didn't like having to go pick them up once they quit running. Maybe we had a morbid sense of humor but we were taught they were food.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 07 2022 02:58:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2022 :  3:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not live on a farm, as a child, except from birth to almost 4. Then we went to Lubbock, Texas...now that was big city in the late
1940s. After 9 months, we moved to the huge cotton patch, West of Lubbock. My dad was helping my great
uncle Arthur on his section of land...so we lived in a tiny little house there for a while.
Daddy was on the school board and those farmer guys were quite impressed that daddy had gone to college... for almost 3 years. So when the High school kids became so unruly, they ran their teacher off...guess who finished the school year as their teacher. My daddy locked the windows and door to the classroom so those kids could
Not leave the Room. They missed lunch. But after a couple of days they had learned their lesson.

And to sweeten the deal for him, on top of his salary , they told him I could start to
School in September.I certainly did not meet the age
requirements.But there I was on day one, in my little home sewn plaid dress...I was about
Six weeks shy of my 5th birthday. After that first year we went to the oil patch, Snyder, Texas. So from age 6-17 I lived in town..Then off to college. Married at 18. The first year we lived in Midland Texas...more oil patch. Then back to Stephenville. So from 19 until now at 78 1/2 we've been farmers...

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 06 2022 3:39:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3785 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3785 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2022 :  08:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I just love y’all’s stories. I have heard running like chickens with their heads cut off but never Yard birds.
Thank you for sharing. I was born and raised in the city although I always wanted to live on a farm.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2022 :  09:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - your story reminds me of my Grandma. She was from town and my grandpa was from a dairy farm. I wish she would have wrote down some of her stories before she passed. One I remember her telling is that grandpa was gone one day and a guy was coming to breed a cow (artificial insemination). He told grandma to make sure and go out and pay him. For those of you that do not know about A.I. procedures it involves putting on a plastic glove that goes all the way up to your shoulder and then reaching in the cows bum to feel where you're putting the metal rod containing the semen. When my grandma walked into the barn and seen the guy with his arm in the cow she was so completely dumbfounded that she turned and ran back into the house and never paid the guy! Since I grew up around this I never thought of it being so shocking to someone so I asked my grandma how she thought it was done. She said "I just figured he would give her a shot!" I asked her if she had any of the kids by then. Yes, she had. I asked if she got a shot to have them LOL! She turned beet red and said no. We left it at that LOL!

I'd love to hear of more of your farm adventures Marilyn! I'd also love to hear any stories anyone else has. What kind of farm animals did you want to have Debbie? One thing I've always wanted and never had was a Palomino horse. Maybe one day :)

I tried again to upload some pictures but I get an error that says the site can't be reached. I'll try again later.

~Heather

Edited by - nndairy on Mar 07 2022 09:54:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2022 :  4:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

WOO HOO! It's woriking :)

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2022 :  5:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love these, Heather!!! What sweet babies!
Your story about your grandma is hilarious! That would have been kind of eye opening if you didn't know what you were walking in on.....haha!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2022 :  5:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Heather look at those babies! So sweet!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

HunnysHen
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Jami
Texas
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2022 :  10:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too adorable Heather !

w/ TEXAS SIZE Farmgirl HUGS !
Farmgirl Sister :
HunnysHen # 5876
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3785 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3785 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2022 :  11:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I just love all these calf and cows pictures. There faces are so cute.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2022 :  1:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The calves are my favorite part of dairy farming! One more month to go and I'll be able to post recent photos instead of old ones. The first baby is due April 13.

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2022 :  2:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! I just love farm babies Heather!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2022 :  6:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is the opposite of a baby LOL! This is Christy - she does selfies like I do - you usually get to see right up my nose LOL! Unfortunately we no longer have her. She lived 14 and 1/2 years on our farm. When we started milking we bought 15 cows. One was bonkers and tried to seriously injure my husband so she left right away. We renumbered the cows 1-14. The first heifer calf born was #15. Christy was #18! One year her and her daughter had their babies the same day just a couple hours apart!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2022 :  09:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

In honor of spring here are some heifers out in the pasture (they're now milking cows)

Well, I was was going to put some more green grass and sunshine pictures but I'm having problems again. Maybe later it'll work.

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3785 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3785 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2022 :  09:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just love them! Happy in the sun.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2022 :  10:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should see them run the first time they're let out after being in the barn all winter!!!! Makes me laugh every time :)

This little fellow got out of his pen and was missing! It took a bit but I finally found him napping in my irises. I told him it was a flower bed not a calf bed LOL!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3785 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3785 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2022 :  10:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at that baby, so precious.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9197 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9197 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2022 :  05:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the photos! Oh the baby is so cute.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  5:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't have calves born in the middle of winter. Usually they start arriving March 1st. In Ohio March can be nice or really cold. Seems like every year we have at least one little baby born on a really cold day (or night). We don't have a heated barn, shop, or garage. The babies get to come into the laundry room to warm up:

When they won't be still and start making a ruckus (and a mess out of my laundry room) we know they're warmed up and ready to go out to a hutch :)

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3785 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3785 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  6:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I would love to have a calf in my laundry room.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3785 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3785 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2022 :  10:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just for you Heather to give you a laugh on National Laughter Day.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Farm Fun Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page